Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
current points:
code:

Name	              Points        Penalty "weight"
TheCowboyJoe   	        70              -20% power
Boaz McPherson  	61              -20% 
Krautastic      	53              -15%
xander i crews  	47              -5%
vertigo 360     	41
whatcubed3      	37
speedt3k        	28
sapopeonarope   	25
kilonum         	23
aardmania       	19
dukket          	15
sac4eva         	10
deathgibs	         8
van330ci	         5
crow t macbot	         5
Xander made a huge jump up the board with that finish last week. Nice work!
1) thecowboyjoe
2) xander i crews
3) krautastic

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I only got this game a few weeks ago and am trying to break into multiplayer. Where can I go to race with goons or other terrible internet people.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Just ordered the MS wireless wheel on sale yesterday for $40, so I'm excited to have to relearn how to drive.

I finally got back to Forza after going away for work for a few weeks, and holy poo poo, you guy weren't kidding about the King of the Ring challenge this month. I did about 3 laps and called it quits. That car is terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pkells posted:

Just ordered the MS wireless wheel on sale yesterday for $40, so I'm excited to have to relearn how to drive.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on this wheel. I originally laughed at it as a toy for kids (this was before the device came out), to enjoy Forza 4, but apparently it can be a truly legitimate wheel alternative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MS wheel (assume we're talking about the original wheel and pedal set) is a great entry level wheel. Decent force feedback, it's got two pedals, and even though it's plastic it doesn't feel super cheap.

It does have some quirks, the headset port is poo poo and 2.4ghz phones have a bad habit of spazzing it out, but for the price you won't find better.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Krataar posted:

I only got this game a few weeks ago and am trying to break into multiplayer. Where can I go to race with goons or other terrible internet people.

We got one of them irc things at irc.synirc.net #forzagoons

I use chatzilla.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

I said come in! posted:

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on this wheel. I originally laughed at it as a toy for kids (this was before the device came out), to enjoy Forza 4, but apparently it can be a truly legitimate wheel alternative.

I was pretty skeptical, but the reviews on amazon were overwhelmingly positive. Most of the negetive comments focused on not being able to use it more than a select few games. Reviews from Forza users said it was great though. I wasn't going to spend that much for full setup, but hey, $40 isn't bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you talking about the wheel you hold up? It might be alright, but a friend said he didn't really like it. Your arms might get tired after a while from holding it up so long. And I don't know about the deadzone as it isn't going to go back to center on its own. Apparently the triggers are really nice as they have a long throw. I'd still rather stick with either a real wheel or a controller I think. You don't have to worry about holding your arms up with either of those.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I used the MS wheel for Forza 2,3 and until recently 4. For that price it's a good piece of hardware, provided you get a good one - in the early days at least there were some build quality and FF strength issues. Also make sure to spend 10 minutes to put some rubber or foam behind the break pedal, as it has not enough travel and not enough resistance, making it far too sensitive.

Other than that, once you get over the initial bump of learning how to drive again, it's a whole new experience coming from a pad. And by the time Forza 5 comes around you'll know if you want to go in deeper and spend entirely unreasonable amounts of money.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about that new stick thingy :doh:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Speaking of new stick thingies, the Clubsport Shifter apparently does still exist.

Still no release date yet.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8191

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Sedona Speedway is a god drat deathtrap.

(Those are AI drivers.)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
F4 AI can't handle any type/section of banked oval track at all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Speaking of new stick thingies, the Clubsport Shifter apparently does still exist.

Still no release date yet.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8191
Want that, as long as I can use sequential on it too. Also, how about the e-brake they showed off when they had the CSR demo booths?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure Sedona exposes a bug in the AI.. like the computer cars can't see far enough down the track to safely choose their line or they interpret the oval as a straight or something, because they are loving terrible at staying out of the walls.

You see it on Indianapolis too, but Sunset and Motegi are usually okay.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Thank gently caress, 1'32.113" on KOTT.
Figuring out how to deal with an understeering car is an amazing (if frustrating) learning experience.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Another Stupid Newbie question. Does the view affect how the car drives? It seems like I'm driving 1000% differently in 1st person, in car, view, than I am on 3rd person far view, than I am on 1st person hood view. Can't decide which I like better.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Quad posted:

Another Stupid Newbie question. Does the view affect how the car drives? It seems like I'm driving 1000% differently in 1st person, in car, view, than I am on 3rd person far view, than I am on 1st person hood view. Can't decide which I like better.

I prefer 1st person hood view myself, but I often switch back to cockpit view for the fun of it. Sometimes, and I can't explain why this is, I do WAY better while in cockpit view for about 20 minutes. After that honeymoon of sorts is over, however, I feel cramped and claustrophobic again and need to return to my hood view.

All 3rd person views are awkward and terrible. Anyone who doesn't immediately crash when attempting to use them are nothing less than freakish mysteries to me.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Quad posted:

It doesn't affect how the car drives, no, but it definitely affects how you perceive how the car is driving. I'm a purist, and only use the cockpit view. Do whatever you like best, though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Quad posted:

No. It's just a massive difference in perception. I always found 1st person much easier to drive. I can judge the current state of my car much more accurately and timely because the whole screen moves with the car immediately whereas in 3rd person most of the screen stays static in relation to the track.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I use bumper cam due to the increased sense of speed. As I use a wheel, the arms and wheel moving somewhat in sync with my own movement pisses me off big time, and cockpit views just handicap you for no reason. It's nothing like actually being in the driver's seat of a car and it obstructs your view.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Day Man posted:

It doesn't affect how the car drives, no, but it definitely affects how you perceive how the car is driving. I'm a purist, and only use the cockpit view. Do whatever you like best, though.
I also use cockpit view exclusively. For me, it gives a better sense of what the car is doing and where exactly the car is on the track. It also seems easier to make turns and go around corners as close as possible to the walls without actually hitting the walls.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Falken posted:

It's nothing like actually being in the driver's seat of a car and it obstructs your view.

I find myself incapable these days of enjoying racing games without cockpit view. Sure, it's not like sitting in a real car, but then again racing games are not like driving a real car anyway. But if I get into a 300SL I want to sit in a 300SL and not be a floating camera that makes 300SL sounds.

In other words: MY IMMERSION :qq:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess I'm just weird as I use 3rd person far view almost exclusively. I tend to insanely oversteer in the cockpit view, and in what I am currently driving, old Chevys, you can't see over the hood scoop. But that's me.

Also I have one of the wireless wheels. I like it, but I am better with a gamepad. So who knows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My preference has less to do with immersion and more to do with getting more data out of the car. When in cockpit view, the interior+head view jostle around more or less believably, which does provide some information about how the car is behaving.

I also have a habit of using interior features on my car (in the real world) to identify where my tires and/or fenders are. Like, if I aim a white stripe along the edge of the road with a certain bump on my windshield wiper, I know for sure that my right tire is also on that line.

I do this a lot in game for identifying braking and turn-in points. When a landmark contacts my A pillar, hit brakes. Stuff like that.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Hey guys, I am going to do some racing now. GT is bentron.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Pinky the Cube posted:

I prefer 1st person hood view myself, but I often switch back to cockpit view for the fun of it. Sometimes, and I can't explain why this is, I do WAY better while in cockpit view for about 20 minutes. After that honeymoon of sorts is over, however, I feel cramped and claustrophobic again and need to return to my hood view.

All 3rd person views are awkward and terrible. Anyone who doesn't immediately crash when attempting to use them are nothing less than freakish mysteries to me.

Apparently some people find the way the camera lags behind the car makes it easier to see how the car is behaving, like you get some extra information from watching the car wobble that you'd miss out on because video games have no g-forces (cockpit view kind of does the same thing, but not as much).

It makes sense to me, in theory, but I'm terrible at doing anything but crashing in third person view and I only wish I could figure out how to drive like that.

I only switch to cockpit view in old cars because I feel like I'm missing out on the full wood dashboard giant steering wheel experience otherwise. I'd drive cockpit view in everything if there was a way to move the viewpoint higher and closer to the windshield, in most cars it feels like I'm driving from the viewpoint of a cat sitting in the driver's seat at maximum back position.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 21, 2012

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

silverbullitt850 posted:

Xander made a huge jump up the board with that finish last week. Nice work!

Thanks man. I'll have a 10% power handicap next race, right?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

burtonos posted:

Hey guys, I am going to do some racing now. GT is bentron.

HECK YES LETS RUN THIS B*TCH

i mean gently caress yeah lets do this

i really mean BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY LET'S GO RACIN BOYS

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 21, 2012

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Hey dudes, is there any game similar to this that I could play on PC? I know it's probably a long shot, but I don't have a console so I figured I should ask in here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eriddy posted:

Hey dudes, is there any game similar to this that I could play on PC? I know it's probably a long shot, but I don't have a console so I figured I should ask in here.

Nothing out currently that's really worth getting into. Project CARS is still in development, that'll be pretty close, but it'll only have about 50 cars, as opposed to Forza 4's 615 or so.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWVwOXkcdjs

Gibs and I had a bit of an incident :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWVwOXkcdjs

Gibs and I had a bit of an incident :v:

I love that wall and the crashes it causes :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Well we ended up having way to many 1 lap races because of the lobby crashing. Turn 10 :argh:

Also sorry guy who I took out because I wasnt paying attention

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

GOD IS BED posted:

Thanks man. I'll have a 10% power handicap next race, right?

Updated standings with penalty "weight". Thanks for the reminder.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Know what car is really fun to drift? An F200 Toyota Aygo with RWD conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCILIVCq_g8

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

TannhauserGate posted:

Know what car is really fun to drift? An F200 Toyota Aygo with RWD conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCILIVCq_g8

You know what's really fun, full stop? Any car with a RWD conversion.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Really hoping someone uploads footage of the turn that killed everyone on Maple Valley from last night.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So hey, funny enough, I'm just now trying out Rivals mode for the first time (long story about lack of internet connectivity, but anyway), and I've got a few questions.

First of all, is there a faster way to sift through literally hundreds of thousands of entries per race than just holding the up button and watching the cursor advance one entry at a time for hours until you get past the $2,500 times, like maybe some hidden Page Up command or something?

Also, on some really top level laps, the car I'm racing against apparently can go from 0-100 in .002 seconds, either that or I'm racing from a standing start against someone who had their second lap counted. However, when I beat that time on the second lap, I don't get any credit for it.

Is there something I just don't understand about the system or was it really that poorly designed? Is it really impossible to scroll faster than one race at a time? Are people cheating or is there some glitch that lets you build up to top speed on your first lap before you even cross the start line?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You should get credit for beating a rival's time on the 2nd lap. Game should pop up, say you've beaten the time, and then ask if you want to exit the mode. LB/RB tend to be page up/page down where they can be in Forza, so try using those. (or paddle shifters if you're on a wheel)

Alternatively, join AUGR. It'll pull up club member rival times before world rival times. Less people to scroll through, and very likely higher challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

So hey, funny enough, I'm just now trying out Rivals mode for the first time (long story about lack of internet connectivity, but anyway), and I've got a few questions.

First of all, is there a faster way to sift through literally hundreds of thousands of entries per race than just holding the up button and watching the cursor advance one entry at a time for hours until you get past the $2,500 times, like maybe some hidden Page Up command or something?

Also, on some really top level laps, the car I'm racing against apparently can go from 0-100 in .002 seconds, either that or I'm racing from a standing start against someone who had their second lap counted. However, when I beat that time on the second lap, I don't get any credit for it.

Is there something I just don't understand about the system or was it really that poorly designed? Is it really impossible to scroll faster than one race at a time? Are people cheating or is there some glitch that lets you build up to top speed on your first lap before you even cross the start line?

It sounds like your second lap is always dirty meaning it wont count against someone whos got a clean lap. It would be kinda crap if only your first lap counted.

• Locked thread