Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Gotcha, thanks guys. Guess I'll have to work on cleaning up my lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Is there something I just don't understand about the system or was it really that poorly designed? Is it really impossible to scroll faster than one race at a time? Are people cheating or is there some glitch that lets you build up to top speed on your first lap before you even cross the start line?

Most rivals modes (aside from autocross mainly) allow multiple laps, so your second+ laps will be flying laps. Autocross and the SIARPC challenge are standing-start only.

If you're in a club, the game will put you against club members until you're faster than all of them, so that will let you get to faster rivals sooner (rather than just "the guy one position ahead of you")

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Important thing to remember with rivals is that once you get the popup indicating you beat the rival, you get no more credit payout for improving your time. You do get additional credits for race merits (such as clean corners) but that's it.

You have to exit to the menus and pick a new rival to get a new pile of credits to win.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks guys. Oh and hey, I've hit every button on the controller, but there doesn't seem to be any way to advance beyond one time to the next. The triggers do nothing and the bumpers take me to different menus. Guess I'll be sitting at my xbox for the next hour trying to go select a better Rival winning price than the one at #62,485 out of 99,000.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Edit: beaten like a red-headed step child. Maybe I should refresh, is that what F5 is for?

GreatGreen posted:

So hey, funny enough, I'm just now trying out Rivals mode for the first time (long story about lack of internet connectivity, but anyway), and I've got a few questions.

First of all, is there a faster way to sift through literally hundreds of thousands of entries per race than just holding the up button and watching the cursor advance one entry at a time for hours until you get past the $2,500 times, like maybe some hidden Page Up command or something?

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys. Oh and hey, I've hit every button on the controller, but there doesn't seem to be any way to advance beyond one time to the next. The triggers do nothing and the bumpers take me to different menus. Guess I'll be sitting at my xbox for the next hour trying to go select a better Rival winning price than the one at #62,485 out of 99,000.

I wouldn't bother trying to look for the higher 'best' times, just race the guy right above you. You make more money, and it helps with frustration/improving when you work against the guy right above you. Best thing to do is press 'X' until you're on the "Near Me" or "Friends/Club" filter and just select the guy right above you.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

I wouldn't bother trying to look for the 'best' times. You make more money, and it helps with frustration/improving when you work against the guy right above you. Best thing to do is press 'X' until you're on the "Near Me" or "Friends/Club" filter and just select the guy right above you.

It is worth it if it's your first time running a rivals race, and you want to skip past the lovely 1000 credit payouts and go straight to 10,000 or more. Sitting through Forza's eternal loading screens for 1000 credits is more than I'm willing to tolerate.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

xzzy posted:

It is worth it if it's your first time running a rivals race, and you want to skip past the lovely 1000 credit payouts and go straight to 10,000 or more. Sitting through Forza's eternal loading screens for 1000 credits is more than I'm willing to tolerate.

Yeah, but for me, I find it easier to just set that first time, run a clean lap and see where I'm at, rather than just picking some guy at random and hoping I'll be faster than him.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Usually just getting a clean time on your first lap is enough to push you up into a decent payout range, since roughly the bottom half of any scoreboard is one-and-done stuff or people who don't understand how corners work. After that you can start working on posting times with a flying lap and getting proper compensation for it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, just sort it by your friends. And then beat the same guy on 300 different challenges so the next time he starts up Forza he gets a ton of "You got smoked in a Rivals event, pal" messages.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Kaddion posted:

Really hoping someone uploads footage of the turn that killed everyone on Maple Valley from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wz4EEHpJYw

Also here's what lag + forgetting which configuration of Maple we're on will do to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAG8jfVfpY

Here's the end of the first lap in the next race. I almost poo poo myself when I exited the last corner and saw all the AI cars sitting there (I was in the orange 787b). Cannnot Find Server & I actually had a really good race that round.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPelVib8j0

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, but for me, I find it easier to just set that first time, run a clean lap and see where I'm at, rather than just picking some guy at random and hoping I'll be faster than him.

This is the right way to do it, don't worry about time at first, just make sure you get a clean lap set. You'll get rid of 99% of the flotsam that way.

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011
I'm starting to get back into this game after not playing for a while. Seeing as how LLJK is pretty much dead, I'd appreciate an invite to AUGR. If there's no room, just add my gamertag and invite me whenever you guys are doing online races. GT is MaverickSWAT

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

^^^^^ AUGR is not invite-only, last time I checked. Just join and get accepted.

speedtek posted:

Here's the end of the first lap in the next race. I almost poo poo myself when I exited the last corner and saw all the AI cars sitting there (I was in the orange 787b). Cannnot Find Server & I actually had a really good race that round.
How did you get all those cars to sit still? Classed them to a class that has a really long wait period before they get off the line? Hilarious either way. :)

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

LiquidRain posted:

How did you get all those cars to sit still? Classed them to a class that has a really long wait period before they get off the line? Hilarious either way. :)

Yeah we put them in a different group and gave them about a minute delay. Our lap times were about 35 seconds. Also the multiclass racing on the Top Gear test track is some of the best fun you can have in this game.

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

^^^^^ AUGR is not invite-only, last time I checked. Just join and get accepted.

Oh that's good, I look forward to racing with you all again.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

speedtek posted:

Also the multiclass racing on the Top Gear test track is some of the best fun you can have in this game.

Definitely a good find.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Some AUGR guys may wonder why im always playing ME2 or F12011 instead of forza. Well it seems like i've used/raped the forza disc so badly since launch day its begun to form hairline cracks from the center of the disc that have just now reached the data part. It takes 4-5 tries to load the disc and more and more it doesnt load at all.

Never had that happen to any disc, ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try installing it to the hard drive maybe? Sometimes the installer can work its way through the errors, and once it's on your hard drive it doesn't use the disc for anything except verifying it exists.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Posting some Noble lovin'
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TjJQR.jpg][/tIMG]

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So...regarding the AUGR BTCC race tonight, I had asked earlier if the battery upgrade was allowed on the CR-Z. It's not specifically disallowed on the rules page, but I want to make sure I'm not planning on using an illegal car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So...regarding the AUGR BTCC race tonight, I had asked earlier if the battery upgrade was allowed on the CR-Z. It's not specifically disallowed on the rules page, but I want to make sure I'm not planning on using an illegal car.

I don't think the CR-Z is legal. I'll check the rules.

Edit: Nope; illegal. Here's a list: http://www.jonathonbarton.net/index.php/goonspec/goonspec-rules/goonbtcc-rules/
Also, can't wait for Catalunya :suicide:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Jarf posted:

Posting some Noble lovin'
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TjJQR.jpg][/tIMG]

This game has Nobles? under what manufacturer?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

WienerDog posted:

Noble :v:

You only get it if you got a Limited Collector's Edition though, I think.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

WienerDog posted:

Only the Noble M600 is in and that's if you bought the LCE. I think you can buy it as individual DLC now though if you didn't.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
That's why I couldn't find it, thanks.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Ahem, the Rossion Q1 is a slightly reworked Noble M400

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

If it were up to me, I'd totally allow the CR-Z because gently caress does that car suck. Even set up to BTCC spec with upgraded battery components, I can't get it around Catalunya faster than 2:14. In addition, the quiet motor makes driving it really wierd, you can only hear tire squeals and the occasional pop of fire from the exhaust.
For comparison, my MiTo and Versa lap around 2:07 on Catalunya.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't think the CR-Z is legal. I'll check the rules.

Edit: Nope; illegal. Here's a list: http://www.jonathonbarton.net/index.php/goonspec/goonspec-rules/goonbtcc-rules/
Also, can't wait for Catalunya :suicide:

Isn't it one of the cars allowed via the comments?

EDIT: Oh wait comments were being sorted by newest first derp

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've always wondered why we aren't using the cars that are, you know, actually in BTCC.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

General Probe posted:

Ahem, the Rossion Q1 is a slightly reworked Noble M400

Yup, this car is awesome. Thanks for the tip.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
AUGR BTCC results from Catalunya GP

1. Force 7
2. TheCowboyJoe
3. Boaz MacPherson
4. whatcubed3
5. Xander I Crews
6. vertigo360
7. speedt3k
8. Van330ci
9. SAPopeOnARope
10. aardmania
11. Kilonum
12. Cubivore dnf (race timer)

dnf (dropped from race) Crow T Macbot
dnf (dropped from race) Kaddion

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
silverbullet850 hosed it up and gave everybody a 15% handicap, thus negating his and the other 2 guys' handicaps from the week prior.... drat YOU JOE, drat YOU :siren:

Let's run it again. :woop:

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 22, 2012

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

AUGR BTCC results from Catalunya GP

dnf (dropped from race) Crow T Macbot

Yeah. Got disconnected with 2 laps left. Thanks Turn 10, where's that title update?

No worries, though. I finished my 2 lonely laps, collected my 100k+ Forzabux for first. My Xbox thought everyone else had left. I blame Cubivore. His going backwards after being afk confused the internet gods.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah. Got disconnected with 2 laps left. Thanks Turn 10, where's that title update?

I was just wondering this. Turn-10 usually isn't this incompetent, but this Title Update has reached Polyphony Digital levels of incompetence.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I said come in! posted:

I was just wondering this. Turn-10 usually isn't this incompetent, but this Title Update has reached Polyphony Digital levels of incompetence.

Whoa whoa whoa we're still within the first year, when the patch is released in roughly 3 years then we'll complain.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
almost done with autovista mode. why does the guy from top gear poo poo on all the ferraris? and I love his voice :cool:

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Whoa whoa whoa we're still within the first year, when the patch is released in roughly 3 years then we'll complain.

At least our games aren't 3 years late...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

silverbullitt850 posted:

At least our games aren't 3 years late...

Yeah, that's why I love Forza, they actually come out within a reasonable amount of time, so you still have time to remember the franchise exists.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

What's that other franchise? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilonum posted:

What's that other franchise? I forget.

The one that's an 8/10 driving sim but a 3/10 game.

• Locked thread