Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

furry drum circle posted:

It's time.

http://twitch.tv/peaches__

Whoa no way Peaches_ dad just kicked him out of the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm pulling my hair out trying to speedrun Castlevania Chronicles because every PlayStation controller I've tried is dysfunctional in some way. I've bought both new and used PS1/PS2 controllers and they always have a screwed up D pad or non-responsive buttons or something else wrong with them.

I bought a brand new 3rd party controller today and the thing is such a cheap knockoff that the analog sticks are just for show. If you push the Analog select button the LED doesn't even turn on. Instead the sticks are wired to work like buttons, so for example if you push Up it activates Triangle!

I've owned five controllers now and I've spent way too much money. What is it so hard to make a good controller?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

absolutely anything posted:

So ultrajman got the poo poo slapped out of him by his mom on his stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXy_X4QqjM

Holy poo poo, this is hilarious. I assume he's "Megaultrajman" on Twitch? Time to post the link!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

It's time.

http://twitch.tv/peaches__

What exactly did you do to cut the world record nearly in half?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Play on the Japanese version, which has a lot of difficulty tweaks, possibly the biggest of which being that staff attacks hit like 3 times as hard and give twice as much mana.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The differences between US and J versions of the game just snowballed throughout the run. The biggest thing was the first boss, where I saved almost 2 hours. Here's a big list of why it was faster:

Nerfed enemy damage meant:
- Grinding was faster and more efficient (Marionasty wind cutters did 1 damage instead of 2-3 much sooner)
- I could go into the boss fight with fewer HP (93 vs 128 iirc)

Generous item distribution meant:
- More breads meant I could be more aggressive with grinding and vs Solvaring
- Honey Bread instead of Fresh Bread from shop made grinding more efficient (+100 hp per death vs +50)
- Honey Bread from shop meant I fought Solvaring with 2 Honey Breads

Double-swing staff hit meant:
- More damage per turn vs Solvaring, meaning he dies faster by pure damage output, and time is saved because he spends less turns attacking me
- Double speed of MP regeneration, meaning I could afford to back off and get free damage by shooting wind cutters and dodging his laser beam more often

After the fight I had 108 max HP, down from 138 in my old record, so I had more grinding to do to get to 300 HP, so I lost 15 minutes on that split.

I needed 300 because that's the point where I become self-sufficient vs Zelse, where the damage he does to me every 2 staff hits is offset by heal cast with the MP I gain from those two hits. Base healing at water 7 is roughly [3 + .02 maxhp]. At 250 HP, I heal 8-9 damage and Zelse does 10, so I'm not self sufficient. At 300 I heal 9-10 and Zelse does 7, so a double staff-hit gives me enough MP to heal the damage he does to me every turn. It's definitely feasible to beat Zelse at 250 with good item usage and a lot of luck triggering his dodgeable mid-range attack, but it would be dangerous and potentially slower than it took me to grind out the last 50 HP (would need to back off to cast heal MUCH more often -- I used bread very aggressively to kill him in way fewer turns). Grinding early also snowballs by making every future boss easier, and 300 just happens to be the sweet spot in Eltale Monsters. In the old run the sweet spot is 400, because at that point I heal for 12 and he deals 6 -- lack of double swing meant I needed to heal twice Zelse's damage instead of the same amount.

Grinding until 300 instead of 400, and Skelebats dealing 1 damage per hit at 115 HP instead of 277 HP, saved me about two hours.

The rest of the time came off from the other boss fights. Guilty and Mammon were no longer strong vs my attacks, double staff hit added extra damage to every fight, and the final difference that didn't get mentioned that much: I found out that there's actually a back hitbox, and staff hits do extra damage when striking from behind. Doing 3/4+1 per turn instead of 2/3+1 vs Zelse added up a LOT over 680 HP.

I also skipped Shamwood, the only point of which is to get items, which are very useful on Quest 64 but just luxuries after Zelse on Eltale Monters. That saved 8 minutes alone.

Well there is my spergin' wall of text for the night, thanks for reading :tipshat:

edit: vvvvvvvvv pretty much, yes, but I didn't think the differences would be that substantial over a low% run. I honestly thought it would be ~9 hours, not 6:15.....

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 22, 2012

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Wait, if the Japanese version is that different from the American version, doesn't that mean you just established a record for a previously unplayed version rather than crushing the previous record?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hey if you haven't watched enough Ocarina Of Time speedruns, or want to see parts of the game that aren't normally seen, Runnerguy's going for the world record on 100% completion (or at least recording a sub-6 hour run).

That's right, 6 hours of OoT. He just started. Catch it while you can.
http://www.twitch.tv/runnerguy2489

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
The tentative schedule to Summer Games Done Quick (May 24-28) has been posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dC0zVGlkcFNTZnI5RUJpM19Vdy1QckE#gid=0

I'm on there for Blast Corps 100% and I'm thinking of learning either Jet Grind Radio or Typing of the Dead and seeing if I can sneak them on there. I'm looking forward to watching Jumping Flash, Earthworm Jim, FF8, and Kirkq's Bomberman and Die Hard runs. IMO the schedule looks really balanced despite being shorter than AGDQ.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

:swoon: Legacy of the Wizard race! All those times namedropping it randomly in front of Uyama and other people paid off I suppose.

There's really a nice selection of excellent games on this list.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
When was the last time a Metroid Prime game was on a marathon? I miss it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

flatluigi posted:

When was the last time a Metroid Prime game was on a marathon? I miss it.

It was run at AGDQ 2011 by Nate. It might also have been at JRDQ but if so it's probably lost to the aether regardless.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Both Startropics, Rygar race, Legacy of the Wizard race, Megaman 1/4/5, Zelda 1 and 2, Duck Tales 1 and 2 and Legend of the Mystical Ninja will be must watch for me.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Typing of the Dead

DO THIS :stare:

Edit: Castle of Illusion yessssss

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Jet Grind Radio

You will have my donation if you do this.

edit: I'll donate regardless, but JSR is my favorite game :3:

BeanBandit fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 27, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dC0zVGlkcFNTZnI5RUJpM19Vdy1QckE#gid=0

I can't wait for people to donate during UltraJMan's run and ask about him getting the poo poo beat out of him on stream. By his mother.

Maybe he should just bring her. I'm a terrible person.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Eighteen hours of Final Fantasy... :shepicide:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Typing of the Dead

This would be awesome.
Great schedule, besides Cave Story.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Liku posted:

I can't wait for people to donate during UltraJMan's run and ask about him getting the poo poo beat out of him on stream. By his mother.

Did this guy at least apologize to her on stream or something silly like that afterwards? He'll probably get heckled regardless though.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Hitman Blood Money hell yea!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Oh man I'm excited already.

Legacy of the Wizard is the only game in the first 10 hours that I don't have any interest in.

Plus Jumping Flash!

Then a Doom, VVVVVV, Cave Story block!

Megaman through Metroid Fusion is like another 11 hour block to watch.

Mario 64 through those Castlevanias. That's a third amazing 10 hour block.

This is the best looking schedule for one of these I've ever seen. I am going to go broke.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Chucat posted:

Eighteen hours of Final Fantasy... :shepicide:

reminder you're supposed to go to sleep when the FF runs start.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Can't wait for 12 hours of card games, drawing magic, and junctioning.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I dunno, the FF7 run last year wasn't too bad, at least it's split up. Also the FF7 run gave us the undisputed best ear wax eating moment in recorded history.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bebopaloobop posted:

Can't wait for 12 hours of card games, drawing magic, and junctioning.

I've actually watched a bit of Poxnor's practice runs. He only plays cards to get the Quistis card (Quistis card mods into 3 items that each refine into 60 Triples). He hardly ever draws unless it's to get a GF he needs, as he gets most of the magic he needs from refining. Junctioning is also quick with menu manipulation practice.

It also helps that Poxnor is pretty good at being an engaging individual and, hey, he's also donated a shitload in the past so let the guy play his game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've never seen a FF8 speedrun so I'm intrigued.

I hope that Caracarn gets to do FFX at a future marathon. He's been putting in a LOT of work into his SS and segmented runs.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

CVagts posted:

I hope that Caracarn gets to do FFX at a future marathon. He's been putting in a LOT of work into his SS and segmented runs.

They'd have to do FFIX first. Just kidding, that would never happen.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

HoldYourFire posted:

They'd have to do FFIX first. Just kidding, that would never happen.

I don't see people talk about speedrunning FF9 at all, compared to all the attention that 6, 7, 8, 10, and even 13 have gotten lately. It's funny, too, because FF9 even has the built-in super secret unlockable weapon you get for getting to the end area of the game within a certain time.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
FFIX doesn't, as far as I know, have anything quite as abusable as the things from VII and VIII. I also think it lacks any significant sequence breaks.

On the other hand, I would love to see somebody do a quasi-speedrun of FFVI where they do elephantgun's trick that totally wrecks everything live on stream, just so that people who are unaware of it can see it.

Niccus
Apr 5, 2008

Cake, jesters, unfaltering love and support.
Speaking of FFIX, it looks like there's now a FFIX TAS. It's pretty nifty! (and still a tad long)

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Can't wait to see Dessyreqt's Super Metroid run, he's been practicing doing the main bosses in reverse order on his stream which has been a really entertaining watch.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You should all watch Darkkobolds runs, because that dude does things to the Shining Force series that should be illegal.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Liku posted:

that would solve all the background chatter from agdq :iamafag:

I just ordered a dreamcast keyboard+Typing of the Dead, mike better let me play this poo poo

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

that would solve all the background chatter from agdq :iamafag:

I just ordered a dreamcast keyboard+Typing of the Dead, mike better let me play this poo poo

Holy poo poo I'm so excited. I'll donate money if they let you play Typing of the Dead. Real live money.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

CVagts posted:

Single Segment is too dependent upon luck in the Thunder Plains. One bad grouping that ambushes and he's dead.

And watching the evolution of UltraJMan is fascinating. From awful youtube LPer, to awful SA LPer, to kind of serious speedrunner, to getting his rear end beat by momdukes live on the internet. He's going to have a full blown meltdown at SGDQ and it will be glorious to watch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

How long before you go one handed?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Critical posted:

Single Segment is too dependent upon luck in the Thunder Plains. One bad grouping that ambushes and he's dead.

If he can still reliably get it within 12 hours, I think it would be fine to just have 1 save directly before Thunder Plains to get the necessary push through, no?

Also, nthing the love for peaches and Typing of the Dead. You go, girl.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Niccus posted:

Speaking of FFIX, it looks like there's now a FFIX TAS. It's pretty nifty! (and still a tad long)
Thanks for pointing this out, i would've missed it otherwise!

Critical posted:

He's going to have a full blown meltdown at SGDQ and it will be glorious to watch.
I feel like i'm the only one who's gotten tired of his awkward crap and after the mom video wtf i'd rather have him not show up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Niccus posted:

Longer than the FF13 speedrun, where nothing but hearts and spirits are broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Emptyeye breaking down TMNT.

http://www.twitch.tv/emptyeye

• Locked thread