Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yay Penny Arcade front page! Though I am disappointed to see that this promotion has not instantly increased the numbers to six hundred trillion dollars.

I imagine the fact that dozens of other pages have run stories on Wasteland 2 probably did cut into Penny Arcade's potential impact, but it is still cool.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It actually kinda makes sense to have a bar called No Mutants Allowed in a post-apocalyptic game.
Yeah, I think that excellently fits the definition of "a blatant reference that in no way takes away from the immersion if you do not catch it." It does make plenty of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can now use Paypal to pledge:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
^^^That is very very good news.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Well something happened around 3pm EDT this afternoon. Donations peaked to around $4.5k that hour. Tycho's post on PA has been up since midnight, and there's been a thread on their forums since the beginning. Maybe someone else is plugging it?

Also, to the people asking, I get the graphs from that website, and I fill out that spreadsheet I use for pie charts manually. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, just let me know.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I was just going to remark that maybe PA did have an effect. Looking at the charts, the curve has been consistent since a couple days after the beginning, with occasional bumps from $10k pledges. Today the curve seems consistently higher without any big pledge bumps. Nothing massive, mind you, but it's noticeable.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

kilus aof posted:

You can now use Paypal to pledge:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

Awesome. Done.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Wow this thing has mega stalled under $1.5m. I barely see it moving anymore.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Penny Arcade bump :downs:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Arzy posted:

If you'll look at my previous couple of posts, you'll see that it has had steady, constant growth of about 50k/day for the past few days. In fact, more has been raised so far today than all of yesterday.

Steady growth > intermittent, unpredictable growth. It shows a strong general interest in the project.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda cool that people are putting 'Mac/Linux port' in as fundraising goals given that such a thing rarely happens with traditional funding models.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Aw, I came here to post the PayPal thing. I am glad someone beat me to it though!

Arzy posted:

It has seemed to be doing fine to me, which I guess is confirmed by RagingBoner's statistical analysis. Three words I did not ever imagine I would use in sequence.

Speaking of ... oh no, the PayPal numbers are not going to be automatically added to the Kickstarter numbers, so you will need a separate area on your spreadsheet!!!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if there will be a big jump when it hits 1.5. I imagine those that exclusively use a flavor of Linux or OS X will put in since they would then know it will definitely be getting ported. It's probably what I would do if I was in that situation, I mean, what would they do with a Windows binary of the game when they don't even own the OS? Especially considering the project is already funded so they will be guaranteed to be charged, even if they don't hit the mark for the port they want.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Aw, I came here to post the PayPal thing. I am glad someone beat me to it though!

It has seemed to be doing fine to me, which I guess is confirmed by RagingBoner's statistical analysis. Three words I did not ever imagine I would use in sequence.

Speaking of ... oh no, the PayPal numbers are not going to be automatically added to the Kickstarter numbers, so you will need a separate area on your spreadsheet!!!

I'll do it if the numbers from Paypal get higher. Which I'm sure they will.

It might be a good idea for them to put the info about the Paypal system in the kickstarter FAQ, but kickstarter may have some rule against that.

Also, I really hope they contacted Paypal about doing this before hand, because I think we all remember what a lovely company Paypal is for donation drives.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Xik posted:

I wonder if there will be a big jump when it hits 1.5. I imagine those that exclusively use a flavor of Linux or OS X will put in since they would then know it will definitely be getting ported. It's probably what I would do if I was in that situation, I mean, what would they do with a Windows binary of the game when they don't even own the OS? Especially considering the project is already funded so they will be guaranteed to be charged, even if they don't hit the mark for the port they want.

I don't think these people exist in any statistically interesting number.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I assume the Doublefine kickstarter slowed after the initial goal was met but it can't have been nearly by this much. It's barely moved in four days.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

Nilbop posted:

I assume the Doublefine kickstarter slowed after the initial goal was met but it can't have been nearly by this much. It's barely moved in four days.

I wouldn't worry too much, funding slows down a lot after the first week. It starts really going again during the last week or so. I think the Doublefine kickstarter raised something like $1.5 million in the last week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They only take money from my card when it hits the funding date, right? I want to pledge another 50 to hit the 100 bucks mark, but it's also not payday just yet.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They only take money from my card when it hits the funding date, right? I want to pledge another 50 to hit the 100 bucks mark, but it's also not payday just yet.

That is correct.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing goes through until after the end-date for the kickstarter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Awesome. Well, then, they just got another 50 from me. I've been very impressed so far... and I miss when games came with stuff. Gotta love them feelies.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nilbop posted:

From what I remember, it slowed by almost exactly this much, it is just that its $2 million was Wasteland 2's $1.25 million. If that makes any sense.

Oh, but sorry, back in character--

UGLY IN THE MORNING WOOOOOOO CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE! The lack of "feelies" with games really is the primary bad thing about switching to digital distribution as the primary release model. I hope new retro-themed boxed games continue coming out for ages so that we can still mostly get our games the reasonable instant way but can occasionally get a new nostalgia blast!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quarex posted:

UGLY IN THE MORNING WOOOOOOO CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE! The lack of "feelies" with games really is the primary bad thing about switching to digital distribution as the primary release model. I hope new retro-themed boxed games continue coming out for ages so that we can still mostly get our games the reasonable instant way but can occasionally get a new nostalgia blast!

Feelies have been dead for a while. I miss the old school big boxes (I used to hang good ones up ack in middle school), but feelies have been dead too long. Man, if kickstarter gets the 200 page manuals again, then I will drop thousands into that poo poo.

EDIT: Plus, totally playing this with my dad, who got me into Wasteland I and other old-school RPG's. This is gonna be nostalgic as all hell.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nilbop posted:

No, it was pretty much exactly like this. Pledges got down to about $1000-1500 an hour for the last couple weeks of the DF one. We're still averaging higher than that, and are at about $50k a day. That's really good and if it stays like this for the next 20 days, that's another million dollars, a lot of loving money. It WONT stay like this, though, it will dip down even lower, but still. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 500k out of this.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Feelies have been dead for a while. I miss the old school big boxes (I used to hang good ones up ack in middle school), but feelies have been dead too long. Man, if kickstarter gets the 200 page manuals again, then I will drop thousands into that poo poo.
Oh, I see what you mean. I guess I just gave maps a pass as the last of the classic feelies, and since those were occasionally still coming with games even in the last few years, I thought that counted.

Yeah, as far as, like, "real-life Ultima moonstone!" or "guide to G.U.E. Tech!" or "limited edition Ordinator miniature!" yeah, I think it has been about a decade since you saw anything interesting like that outside of super-special editions (Two Worlds II's "Royal Edition" came with an obnoxious foot-tall statue of the main antagonist!).

EDIT: Plus, totally playing this with my dad, who got me into Wasteland I and other old-school RPG's. This is gonna be nostalgic as all hell.
Awwwwww!!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Quarex posted:

Awwwwww!!!

Did your avatar previously have a red cowl or am I going crazier?

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

Nilbop posted:

It was Christmas-themed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nilbop posted:

Completely crazy.

(Yes, it had a red cowl, wreath instead of halo, and was holding eggnog; Christmas-themed, as the Professor pointed out)

There was a conversation about buying me an animated Wasteland avatar, but I mentioned that my original avatar was actually a modified Wasteland avatar anyway, and then before I knew it I had a $5 gift card and changed back to this closer-to-the-original one!

Well, this post is boring, how about I find something to link in it?

Oh, how felicitous, PC Gamer just did a Saturday Crapshoot review of Bad Blood! Oh, good, it is indeed because of Wasteland 2. I have not read it yet, but Richard Cobbett had better be kind to that awesome game :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quarex posted:

Oh, I see what you mean. I guess I just gave maps a pass as the last of the classic feelies, and since those were occasionally still coming with games even in the last few years, I thought that counted.

Yeah, as far as, like, "real-life Ultima moonstone!" or "guide to G.U.E. Tech!" or "limited edition Ordinator miniature!" yeah, I think it has been about a decade since you saw anything interesting like that outside of super-special editions (Two Worlds II's "Royal Edition" came with an obnoxious foot-tall statue of the main antagonist!).

Awwwwww!!!

My last idea of "feelies" was the Homeworld GOTY edition. (HUGE) Storybook, Manual, Soundtrack. Still kind of my idea of a "COMPLETE!" edition for now.

And yeah, gonna be fun. We're both looking forwards to it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh look, he hated Bad Blood. I am so shocked. Particularly that he hated some of the best things about the game, like the fun dialogue with its creative vocabulary and the fact that the combat was actually challenging (though it is possible that the speed of the computer would impact whether combat seemed fair or just incredibly arbitrary and stupid; I remember things moving slowly enough so that you were never instantly hit and killed as he seems to be).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fargo is getting a bit ahead of himself with the Kick if Forward initiative. We've yet to see how successful they'll be developing this thing on a relatively shoestring budget, before even considering whether they'll eventually turn a profit. As he says, some people are are even forgoing payment to make this happen. Take care of the basics before making altruistic promises. He brings up Minecraft's success, and how 5% from those millions could do a lot of good. The thing is that Notch is already a prolific donator (yeah perhaps not 5%, but still) and follows his own judgement and predilections in choosing what to back, without some mandatory clause. Act likewise if and when your financial situation allows you. The Indie Fund model is more sensible. A few successful indie teams got together AFTER they made a bunch of mullah and collectively funded smaller projects that would repay the investment if they proved profitable. And through proper selection of projects, there have already been a number of games released from under their banner that have made a return on the investment.

I get the impression Fargo's a guy that's very impressionable and impulsive, as his publishing history somewhat attests to that as does the W2 Kickstarter itself, and he sometimes jumps in headstrong without fully thinking things through. I'd be a lot less skeptical if he'd have announced this later on after the Kickstarter when he had a better idea of the project's financial standing. The cynical part of me thinks this may have partially been meant as a drive for more donations, but that's besides my larger complaints anyway.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Rinkles posted:

Fargo :words:
I think he was just moved to emotional compassion from all the love we sent his way and just felt the needs to instantly gratify that or something /armchairpsychology :ohdear:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blooshoo posted:

I think he was just moved to emotional compassion from all the love we sent his way and just felt the needs to instantly gratify that or something /armchairpsychology :ohdear:

I feel that way too, and from what I've read he's seems to be a generally cool/okay sort of guy. I just don't think it's the best idea.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah, it seems like he is just getting hyper emotional over this opportunity he never thought he'd have + his anger over his mistreatment by publishers. It's not a terrible idea but I think he's getting ahead of himself.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was actually thinking that the cynical take on this is that he is simultaneously heading off accusations of not supporting the system that got his project funded and potentially becoming like "the paragon of post-publisher gaming" if this whole thing really picks up. But, you know, "getting more donations," that works, too.

The PayPal thing really should help there, I imagine for every person who posted about not having a credit card to donate (and I saw at least a dozen or two spread out here and there) there are plenty more people who want to donate without a credit card but were not willing to complain about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wasteland 2 is now the second most successful procjet in Kickstarter's history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kennel posted:

Wasteland 2 is now the second most successful procjet in Kickstarter's history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised

Video PC gamers are a force to be reckoned with! :woop:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Fargo is getting a bit ahead of himself with the Kick if Forward initiative. We've yet to see how successful they'll be developing this thing on a relatively shoestring budget, before even considering whether they'll eventually turn a profit. As he says, some people are are even forgoing payment to make this happen. Take care of the basics before making altruistic promises. He brings up Minecraft's success, and how 5% from those millions could do a lot of good. The thing is that Notch is already a prolific donator (yeah perhaps not 5%, but still) and follows his own judgement and predilections in choosing what to back, without some mandatory clause. Act likewise if and when your financial situation allows you. The Indie Fund model is more sensible. A few successful indie teams got together AFTER they made a bunch of mullah and collectively funded smaller projects that would repay the investment if they proved profitable. And through proper selection of projects, there have already been a number of games released from under their banner that have made a return on the investment.

I get the impression Fargo's a guy that's very impressionable and impulsive, as his publishing history somewhat attests to that as does the W2 Kickstarter itself, and he sometimes jumps in headstrong without fully thinking things through. I'd be a lot less skeptical if he'd have announced this later on after the Kickstarter when he had a better idea of the project's financial standing. The cynical part of me thinks this may have partially been meant as a drive for more donations, but that's besides my larger complaints anyway.

I kinda hope there is some elective process involved. It sucks for the smallest guys who are just idea guys, but I honestly don't want to see money go to waste on projects that will have no chance to see the light of day.

I'd like to say I'd only want to see "good projects" benefit from the Kick Forward initiative, but then we suddenly come down to "what is a good project and how is it different from a bad project". People could get into fist-fights over the internet over this kind of stuff.

gently caress that fat dude wanting to make Second Life 2 though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda hope there is some elective process involved. It sucks for the smallest guys who are just idea guys, but I honestly don't want to see money go to waste on projects that will have no chance to see the light of day.

I'd like to say I'd only want to see "good projects" benefit from the Kick Forward initiative, but then we suddenly come down to "what is a good project and how is it different from a bad project". People could get into fist-fights over the internet over this kind of stuff.

gently caress that fat dude wanting to make Second Life 2 though.

The money should probably go to projects that reached their goal, or are close to it, because that way the gamers have already shown their interest and trust in the project.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

^^^That is very very good news.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Well something happened around 3pm EDT this afternoon. Donations peaked to around $4.5k that hour. Tycho's post on PA has been up since midnight, and there's been a thread on their forums since the beginning. Maybe someone else is plugging it?

Also, to the people asking, I get the graphs from that website, and I fill out that spreadsheet I use for pie charts manually. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, just let me know.

I wouldn't mind a copy, if you like, you can send a copy to: merspamtack (at) gmail (dot) com

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Just sitting outside Cochise farming robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

The money should probably go to projects that reached their goal, or are close to it, because that way the gamers have already shown their interest and trust in the project.

That would seem solid to me, honestly.

But some would still argue unfair. I think that'd be mostly sour grapes though, there's no reason to kick forward a project that'll never take off.

• Locked thread