Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That little indigan is really making me want to pick up an old two stroke 120-250cc to commute on. Sure it is stupid and the SV is a great commuter but look at that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

That little indigan is really making me want to pick up an old two stroke 120-250cc to commute on. Sure it is stupid and the SV is a great commuter but look at that thing.

I know, seeing that little smoker has rekindled my desire to get my 175 Bantam rebuilt; Its largely in parts and I don't have a place to put it back together right now, but I'm about to pull the trigger on renting out a workshop on a permanent basis, and the weather is picking up and the OH GOD JUST loving LOOK AT THAT THING.

Impetus found.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
If I can get out of doing stuff with my wife later I'm going to start breaking down the Honda's engine. It needs about $200 in parts and probably about 6-8 hours in labor to get it all torn down with another 6-8 to re assemble it fully.

I think the plan is still to offload the Honda and save for a bigger touring bike for 2 up riding. I REALLY want to keep it and cafe or scrambler it though...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

looks like that yammy is missing some textures, is that an ammo box on the side?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
It looks like a BBQ place tablecloth. I want it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An observer posted:

tablecloth

That's exactly what I thought, too. I don't really know what he's getting at with "gently caress your prius" though. Are they really worth that much hate? It's kind of like "gently caress your golf shoes" or "gently caress your pottery barn end table" or something.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

That's exactly what I thought, too. I don't really know what he's getting at with "gently caress your prius" though. Are they really worth that much hate? It's kind of like "gently caress your golf shoes" or "gently caress your pottery barn end table" or something.

Yes, Prius's are worth the hate. I've almost been hit by at least 8 Prius's. They simply give no fucks, they are saving the environment and the road is theirs. That was pretty much what one told me when I confronted him at a light for blatantly cutting me off. My boot may have touched his headlight as I split past him after that....

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a YSR-50, a 50cc 2-stroke, so he's probably getting good enough gas mileage to ridicule Priuses on that alone.

But, mostly, gently caress Priuses.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Dazzle cam? Interesting look for sure, I agree on it looking like a table cloth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a YSR-50, a 50cc 2-stroke, so he's probably getting good enough gas mileage to ridicule Priuses on that alone.

But, mostly, gently caress Priuses.

Thats an older R6

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

My parents own a Prius, and after driving it I understand why they are so terrible, they have no rear visibility at all. That plus the mileage game, and it all goes out the window.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

My parents own a Prius, and after driving it I understand why they are so terrible, they have no rear visibility at all. That plus the mileage game, and it all goes out the window.

The guy that almost hit me saw me and admitted giving no fucks when he did. Big jock douschebag looking joker, major anger issues. Although, if I was driving a Prius I'd prolly be angry too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

50% of people admitted in Consumer Reports that the reason they bought a Prius is because it "identified with their personalities".

At least half of Prius owners are literally douchebags

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Bike with sidecar goes up Mulholland Drive.

http://youtu.be/dH1GO4pJ5H0

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Xovaan posted:

50% of people admitted in Consumer Reports that the reason they bought a Prius is because it "identified with their personalities".

There is actually a blog article about how Prius owners only buy them so they can act like jerks. I've lost it so I can't link it.

My #1 hate is female drivers. No offense, but holy poo poo at women in SUVs. Get the gently caress off the road!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I could do that but I don't wanna

Odette posted:

There is actually a blog article about how Prius owners only buy them so they can act like jerks. I've lost it so I can't link it.

My #1 hate is female drivers. No offense, but holy poo poo at women in SUVs. Get the gently caress off the road!

The male equivalent is a cabbie.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Is it just me or did his rear tire slide out around :16 when he went over the dirt in the road? Double badass points for that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xovaan posted:

I can agree, gently caress Priuses and the people that drive them. Nearly all of them drive like poo poo, and there's almost as many of the loving things in Seattle as there are Subarus.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Odette posted:

Apparently, last time I checked, 49% of all accidents on the road today are caused by females ranging from 16 to 26 in age but the number fluctuates a lot (see link below). I've found that lovely old econoboxes (Hondas/Toyotas/Taurusses) drive the absolute worst (slow, can't stay in lane) but I've found that SUV and truck drivers are overly aggressive, never signal, and tailgate like crazy. I also avoid "the white poof" of faded hair of America's elderly in Buicks and Oldsmobiles. And Jettas. Guaranteed daydreamer on a cellphone.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/women_worse_drivers_more_crashes_than_men_less_driving.html

Getting a Prius is basically admitting your life is forfeit and you enjoy not having fun doing boring things. It's like these people wake up eat dried shredded wheat and sand by the brickload then have coffee so they don't fall asleep from lack of stimulus driving to work. My friend inherited a fully loaded '09 Prius and I imagine the experiencing anything less to be the feeling equivalent of eating at Coco's for the rest of your life

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 21, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm not so sure about that study. Insurance companies make men (especially 16-25) pay a LOT more in insurance, and I imagine a multi-billion dollar industry has spent a shitload on researching it. Of course, there's always the possibility that they simply want an excuse to charge one gender significantly more, and would get a whole lot of poo poo from feminists if they chose women.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My understanding of accidents by gender is that men cause more expensive accidents, while women cause more frequent but less severe incidents. Jack the smack/mootmoot, for example!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's the mileage game plus GPS. Yeah, you can't see out the back, but drat, Prius drivers are never actually looking at the road because they're either making sure their mileage is as high as possible or they're reading the GPS.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gullous posted:

My understanding of accidents by gender is that men cause more expensive accidents, while women cause more frequent but less severe incidents. Jack the smack/mootmoot, for example!

Sat with some insurance exec a few years ago and that came up in discussion. He told me pretty much the same thing. You women have far cheaper insurance than young men, but in general it is still higher than mature and experienced drivers.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

Someone I worked with at a previous job blew like $40k on a fully loaded Prius. She got totally taken by the dealership, but said she was ok with it because she was "doing her part in the war against terrorism."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

orthod0ks posted:

Someone I worked with at a previous job blew like $40k on a fully loaded Prius. She got totally taken by the dealership, but said she was ok with it because she was "doing her part in the war against terrorism."

I mean, she's sort of right; reducing your country's need for petroleum products would hopefully lead, eventually, to a less aggressive foreign policy*. I doubt she was thinking that deeply into it though.

Until "No blood for lithium" becomes a thing I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReelBigLizard posted:

I mean, she's sort of right; reducing your country's need for petroleum products would hopefully lead, eventually, to a less aggressive foreign policy*. I doubt she was thinking that deeply into it though.

Until "No blood for lithium" becomes a thing I guess.

I thought it already was:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2010/06/no-blood-for-lithium-us-discovers-vast-mineral-reserves-in-afghanistan/

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Prius drivers can be smug, but I've never had a single problem with one on the road. They all seem pretty considerate to me, really, but I guess you get to think a lot when you're hypermiling your shitbox.

The most dangerous people are college aged girls, compounded by the tendency to look over and "target fixate" :heysexy: I've had more cut me off and nearly merge into me in daddy's Z3 than anybody else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bixington posted:

Prius drivers can be smug, but I've never had a single problem with one on the road. They all seem pretty considerate to me, really, but I guess you get to think a lot when you're hypermiling your shitbox.

So those COEXIST stickers do count for something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a real winner of a Prius driver. Not all Prius drivers are this way! But some of them are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSzLS0j9fY

I've always thought the best solution isn't petroleum, and it isn't battery-electric, but biofuel. You can convert a gasoline engine to run on ethanol and a diesel engine to run on...well, any oil pretty easily. Renewable liquid fuels keep the same fueling infrastructure, the same (or nearly) energy density, the same rapidity of refueling, the same range as we have today, but because they're biological they're sustainable and carbon-neutral. Plus, technologies like the direct-methanol fuel cell suggest that you could run a completely electric car on exactly the same renewable hydrocarbon, gaining the efficiency of an electric motor and the ability to sequester the CO2.

The only problem is of course MAKING the fuel in the first place, but I have confidence that we'll eventually figure out how to make cellulosic ethanol and lipid-producing microalgae and harvest all our fuel from a cordoned-off plot the size of Texas floating in the Pacific.

Aand that is my hippie boondoggle daydream for today.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a real winner of a Prius driver. Not all Prius drivers are this way! But some of them are.

I've always thought the best solution isn't petroleum, and it isn't battery-electric, but biofuel. You can convert a gasoline engine to run on ethanol and a diesel engine to run on...well, any oil pretty easily. Renewable liquid fuels keep the same fueling infrastructure, the same (or nearly) energy density, the same rapidity of refueling, the same range as we have today, but because they're biological they're sustainable and carbon-neutral. Plus, technologies like the direct-methanol fuel cell suggest that you could run a completely electric car on exactly the same renewable hydrocarbon, gaining the efficiency of an electric motor and the ability to sequester the CO2.

The only problem is of course MAKING the fuel in the first place, but I have confidence that we'll eventually figure out how to make cellulosic ethanol and lipid-producing microalgae and harvest all our fuel from a cordoned-off plot the size of Texas floating in the Pacific.

Yea, I hate the idea of a hybrid. Twice the power sources, twice the potential maintenance.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

You may take my petrol, but you'll never take my FREEEDOM!!:911:

E: OMFG,I just watched that video. If that'd been me on the bike it'd be like:

Turn that piece o.. REVREVREVREVREVREV WHAT? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU! I said, Turn that piece o... REVREVREVREV WHAT!?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY GAS GUZZLING ENGINE!:madmax:

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 21, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'll take an inattentive, slow Prius driver over the shitheads that go 55 in a 35, needlessly tailgate, and swerve between lanes. Staying 3 feet from my back bumper isn't going to get you there any faster.

We're lacking pics/vids here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncxO3ETzmI

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

Some dude's cafe project I saw at uni today. CB750?

Absolutely beautiful 1930's Harley w/sidecar. Owner rides it every year for our local POW-MIA rally and takes a veteran along in the sidecar during the parade. Wish I had better pictures, this really doesn't do it justice.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

more

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

more

My god, it's awesome! This will be my new wallpaper at work now, thank you!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What a badass.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I keep humming this when I ride my Triumph, I don't know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914&ob=av2e

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NurSpec posted:

Some dude's cafe project I saw at uni today. CB750?

yup. I'm diggin the missing caliper and speedo drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Isn't it hidden there behind the fork?

I really thought that R1 pic was a photoshop at first. Yamaha seems to be the go to bike for crazy riders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJL4Z8ROX4#t=2m39s