Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

You shoot dudes with guns and there happen to be zombies around to gently caress things up. Makes the multiplayer really chaotic.
Oh. I was wondering, what's the point of hiding behind waist-high obstacles if zombies are running at you to eat your brains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, if they're on the other side it offers some degree of protection, right?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Hahhahahaha, I don't want to drag this thread back to ME3-chat but I just wanted to drop in and say you guys were sort of right! The ending is really bad in so many ways. Some I was sort of expecting and some that I wasn't.

I still don't think it's "complain about it for weeks until they change it" bad, but it's certainly one of the worst in recent memory.

Mostly I was just laughing through the latter half of it because SOMEONE THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA! Possibly multiple people!

Oh well, time to get some YAKUZA ZOMBIE MURDER in before I do my renegade vanguard playthrough.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Crowbear posted:

Hahhahahaha, I don't want to drag this thread back to ME3-chat but I just wanted to drop in and say you guys were sort of right! The ending is really bad in so many ways. Some I was sort of expecting and some that I wasn't.

Congrats! Now you can watch the real ending!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Not as much protection as running away from the zombies. The cover shooter concept of of calmly hiding behind a barrier and waiting for an opening works when people are shooting at you but not when people are running at you. Try doing that when husks are around in ME and see how far it gets you. Not that it mattered for Vanguard anyway though. One nova and your husk problems are all taken care of.

edit:

Krad posted:

No jokes, this is all the ending really needs to become at least acceptable.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 22, 2012

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

No because the zombies can just walk around it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

No because the zombies can just walk around it.

Well then you circle around it.

Like a 3 Stooges movie.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Aphrodite posted:

Well then you circle around it.

Like a 3 Stooges movie.

Resident Evil STARRING: Larry, Curly, and Moan

:haw:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Krad posted:

Hah, this is pretty spot on and the Tali slide gave me a good laugh.

Also, just saw the little post-credits sequence and :drat: is it really dumb too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

No jokes, this is all the ending really needs to become at least acceptable.

Seriously - change the music, make it look a little flashier, cut some of the fourth-wall jokes, maybe have it play in the sidebars during the (long-rear end) end credits and it would squash 90% of the complaints.

Literally 10-20 minutes of epilogue giving just some sense of 'life goes on' closure to the game would have changed so much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ok, just played a game of versus, and I think I am hooked on ORC. There is just poo poo everywhere. I have only seen zombies and hunters so far and they are easy enough to run from but when there is the opposite team to contend with, things get hectic.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Seriously, people, you're making me dodge spoilers for Mass Effect 3 in this thread? There's an entire thread for spoiling ME3. Go there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

blackguy32 posted:

Ok, just played a game of versus, and I think I am hooked on ORC. There is just poo poo everywhere. I have only seen zombies and hunters so far and they are easy enough to run from but when there is the opposite team to contend with, things get hectic.

ORC gets really god drat crazy when the bigger monsters show up. Earlier today I was playing a round of team deathmatch on that gas station map and right in the middle of this big shootout with all 8 players, this Mr. X tyrant just lumbers into the middle of it and all these lickers start pouncing around. So everyone just panics and flees in random directions while still trying to shoot at each other.

It's really interesting to see what happens because a lot of the monsters are randomly generated, so sometimes you get games where its just zombies and there's no problem and then you get some where Hunters spawn in at the start and you're dealing with them more than the other team. After spending the day with it online, I think Slant Six designed this to be online-only and was forced to add a single player by Capcom. That's the only reason I can think of as to why the campaign is SO BAD yet the online turned out good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

Seriously, people, you're making me dodge spoilers for Mass Effect 3 in this thread? There's an entire thread for spoiling ME3. Go there.
All people have been saying is that it's bad, not really talking about specifics. And if you go anywhere at all game-related on the internet you won't be able to avoid that. Hell it's on Forbes and the BBC and stuff.

Besides, there's nothing there worth being careful about spoiling. Seriously.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 22, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Samurai Sanders posted:

All people have been saying is that it's bad, not really talking about specifics. And if you go anywhere at all game-related on the internet you won't be able to avoid that. Hell it's on Forbes and the BBC and stuff.

Besides, there's nothing there worth being careful about spoiling. Seriously.

Not even two pages back people posted an assload of spoiler tagged comments on the ending. That's nearly impossible to avoid hitting on a small touchscreen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

Not even two pages back people posted an assload of spoiler tagged comments on the ending. That's nearly impossible to avoid hitting on a small touchscreen.
Oh, spoilers under spoiler tags. I thought you meant uncovered spoilers. You're on a portable device? I don't look at SA much on my iphone, I didn't realize it was easy to accidentally uncover spoilers.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

ORC gets really god drat crazy when the bigger monsters show up. Earlier today I was playing a round of team deathmatch on that gas station map and right in the middle of this big shootout with all 8 players, this Mr. X tyrant just lumbers into the middle of it and all these lickers start pouncing around. So everyone just panics and flees in random directions while still trying to shoot at each other.

It's really interesting to see what happens because a lot of the monsters are randomly generated, so sometimes you get games where its just zombies and there's no problem and then you get some where Hunters spawn in at the start and you're dealing with them more than the other team. After spending the day with it online, I think Slant Six designed this to be online-only and was forced to add a single player by Capcom. That's the only reason I can think of as to why the campaign is SO BAD yet the online turned out good.

Not going to lie. I was having an inkling of fun in the single player. But the multi is just so much better. I kind of wish there was a survival mode where its your 4 guys against other AI humans with monsters thrown in between, but I have only seen a handful of game modes.

Also the characters aren't balanced that well at all. Some of them have comically useless special abilities.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

...! posted:

That's not our problem. You can't expect an entire forum to cater to you when you are on a mobile device. This thread is for discussing the PS3 version of games, and that's what everyone is doing. This thread is dynamic, the conversation changes constantly, sometimes multiple conversations, about different games are going on at once. That means discussion of games that already have threads, is going to take place, but that's how its been since forever, and no ones really complained.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 22, 2012

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

...! posted:

The spoilers were incredibly non-specific and were still tagged. For ME3 spoilers, this thread is safer to read than almost any other gaming site on the net. So if you can't handle it, turn off your internet until you finish the game.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, spoilers under spoiler tags. I thought you meant uncovered spoilers. You're on a portable device? I don't look at SA much on my iphone, I didn't realize it was easy to accidentally uncover spoilers.

You have to click on them. It's easy to avoid.

the truth fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 22, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

...! posted:

People will do occasional minor chat about ME3 in here, because in here, people aren't constantly spoiling the game and forgetting spoiler tags. So long as they use spoiler tags and don't fill the thread for pages, whatevs, it's a PS3 game. It's fine, we're not segregating all chat into only assigned threads.

If you can't deal with spoiler tags, I recommend not browsing on whatever device doesn't handle them well.

[imagine I was super cool and put a crappy "Deal With It" meme image here]

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That means discussion of games that already have threads, is going to take place, but that's how its been since forever, and no ones really complained.

Well except for the resident thread police Feenix.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dark Souls is getting ready to be announced for the PC, can anybody speculate on how the game would control with mouse/keyboard? Will the online features of the game be better/worse on the PC? Is there a potential for mods, or would they really be necessary?

I've held off getting this game for the PS3 because it hasn't met my price point yet for the experience that the game provides. I've read most of the threads and discussion about the game, but just haven't taken the plunge yet because I'm becoming an older cranky gamer that is starting to get set in his ways. :corsair:
I never thought I'd get like this at 30...

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Dark Souls is getting ready to be announced for the PC, can anybody speculate on how the game would control with mouse/keyboard? Will the online features of the game be better/worse on the PC? Is there a potential for mods, or would they really be necessary?

I've held off getting this game for the PS3 because it hasn't met my price point yet for the experience that the game provides. I've read most of the threads and discussion about the game, but just haven't taken the plunge yet because I'm becoming an older cranky gamer that is starting to get set in his ways. :corsair:

Dark Souls with a solid framerate would be worth the price of admission alone, and it seems like the type of game that would lend itself pretty well to mouse and keyboard. There's plenty of ways they could gently caress up a PC port but we'll have to wait and see.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Has there been more solid evidence that Dark Souls is coming to the PC? Don't get me wrong I'd buy it in a heartbeat but it almost seems like gamers are trying to will the port into existence.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wandle Cax posted:

Well except for the resident thread police Feenix.
I politely suggested recently that maybe ALL the myriad of RoF posts might warrant its own thread.

Deal with it, you butt.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cartoon Man posted:

I'd really wonder what sort of experience you'd require for a game to be worthwhile.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Has there been more solid evidence that Dark Souls is coming to the PC? Don't get me wrong I'd buy it in a heartbeat but it almost seems like gamers are trying to will the port into existence.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/21/rumor-dark-souls-pc-announcement-imminent/

quote:

Head over to the official Dark Souls Facebook page, and you may discover a new "app" that says "an announcement is coming." The app is nothing more than a brick wall, which will seemingly be broken down once it reaches enough likes. While we'd like to think the wall hides a stack of delicious, fluffy pancakes, evidence points to the impending announcement of a PC version.

And, by evidence, we mean the Australian magazine PC PowerPlay, which strongly suggests Dark Souls will be featured in its April issue. An image of the magazine has popped up on NeoGAF, revealing a page styled after Dark Souls' infamous "YOU DIED" screen. The magazine is due on shelves April 18, so we should likely know exactly what's going on by then.

The possibility of a PC version of Dark Souls cropped up earlier this year when a Namco Bandai forum admin suggested users make a petition for the project. A week later, Namco took notice of the petition, with the admin telling users they had the company's attention and that "the future is in your hands."

It sounds pretty convincing to me.

a foolish pianist posted:

I'd really wonder what sort of experience you'd require for a game to be worthwhile.

Not gonna bite on this hook.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 22, 2012

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/21/bioware-co-founder-apologizes-to-fans-for-the-mass-effect-3-ending-sort-of/

Hot drat, there's nothing like reading an article about games from a real journalist to drive home the fact that virtually all gaming journalism isn't journalism. Forbes has had some great coverage for the past couple weeks.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

the truth posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/21/bioware-co-founder-apologizes-to-fans-for-the-mass-effect-3-ending-sort-of/

Hot drat, there's nothing like reading an article about games from a real journalist to drive home the fact that virtually all gaming journalism isn't journalism. Forbes has had some great coverage for the past couple weeks.

The nice thing about this is that it's professionally written and insightful. It's quite a nice change from the rumors and swears that populate most normal game news sites.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTmGUfPvrs

This has me considerably more excited that Mod Nation. (Though, it's by the same developer United Front). There seems to be much more versatility in the tools available to creators, and the LBP aesthetic trumps MNR's scenic blandness.

[PlayStation Blog Post]

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Rinkles posted:

This has me considerably more excited that Mod Nation. (Though, it's by the same developer United Front). There seems to be much more versatility in the tools available to creators, and the LBP aesthetic trumps MNR's scenic blandness.

[PlayStation Blog Post]

Well, now that I know it's a collaboration between Media Molecule and United Front, I'm legitimately excited for this.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

The LBP Racer looks like fun to play, kinda what Modnation Racers was aiming to be. Hopefully the load times aren't too long, but makes me wonder what is going to happen to MNR brand. It's probably going to the side now that the series developer is using another series as its springpoint.

And also what IS Media Molecule doing at the moment? Aren't they working on a new IP or am I mistaken?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

the truth posted:

Is the article spoiler free?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MrMidnight posted:

Is the article spoiler free?

There are no direct spoilers, but he does mention one of the general problems people had with the endings (that they're all essentially the same), so probably best to avoid it if you don't want to know what's going to be coming just to be safe.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Rinkles posted:

[PlayStation Blog Post]

Really looking forward to this. Speaking of Mod Nation, I never played it myself but is it still the bastion of copyright infringement it was when it first came out?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Holy poo poo, LittleBigPlanet Karting looks even better than I thought it would. So excited for that game! United Front know how to make an excellent (and most importantly, well balanced) kart racer, so if they can avoid the loading problems that Modnation had this will easily skyrocket to being the best in the genre :D

As for what Media Molecule are up to, I can't say I'd be surprised if they were busy working on some fancy PS4 launch title to be honest. I'd imagine that Sony would want their best developers (Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital) all busying away on launch games for late 2013 or whenever. We know the Uncharted 3 team is working on something for PS4 now, and we know Polyphony Digital is working on Gran Turismo 6 so it's a safe assumption I think.

I suspect that games such as The Last of Us, God of War 4, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Killzone 4(maybe?) and Quantic Dream's new project will be the last hurrah for the PS3 probably (along with The Last Guardian maybe?) kinda like Halo 4 will be for the Xbox 360.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MUFFlNS posted:

We know the Uncharted 3 team is working on something for PS4 now

We... do?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

MUFFlNS posted:

As for what Media Molecule are up to, I can't say I'd be surprised if they were busy working on some fancy PS4 launch title to be honest. I'd imagine that Sony would want their best developers (Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital) all busying away on launch games for late 2013 or whenever. We know the Uncharted 3 team is working on something for PS4 now, and we know Polyphony Digital is working on Gran Turismo 6 so it's a safe assumption I think.

I suspect that games such as The Last of Us, God of War 4, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Killzone 4(maybe?) and Quantic Dream's new project will be the last hurrah for the PS3 probably (along with The Last Guardian maybe?) kinda like Halo 4 will be for the Xbox 360.

Hmm, I'm thinking there will be a few more exclusives than that before they bring out PS4 in all honesty, obviously tech development is gonna be a huge part of the first-party studios in the coming months and year but Sony will defintly want the PS3 to last as long as possible like the PS2 has done. I think of lot of developers want to do the same as well as the tech jumps between consoles are starting to hurt them financially.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
I finally picked up Hard Rain. The graphics/engine and ability to deliver the story is really impressive. Closest to an interactive movie that I've seen yet. Its a shame that I suspect the plot will not make all the tedious door opening and child rearing I'm having to do worthwhile. Regardless, I'm digging it so far and am impressed with the vision and scope of the game.

Also, Journey is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I had hope for Mod Nation Racers, then it played like complete poo poo. No idea what weapons are which, you have to power them up while sliding, and then manage a turbo meter, block other peoples weapons, all while trying to RACE! All on very bland tracks that look very similar. It was not good.

I hope LBP Karting fixes all those things. It has a lot of promise.

• Locked thread