Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

tadashi posted:

If you make a male shep and he is not some minority race, you might as well be Javik.

Agreed. My primary Shep since ME1 has been half Irish, half Latino. We'll all be a bunch of mutts in a future where national boundaries are obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Myopic posted:

The new gibs are ridiculous/awesome. Charging low-health enemies and having them explode is the best.

My favorite is still the headshot geyser. Headless corpse topples, spraying poo poo everywhere.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
With the help of BrooklynBruiser, I tweeted my baller Scott Ian Shep to Scott Ian, but he deleted the tweet :(

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm partial to the green energy disintegration of the Particle Rifle, as far as gibs go.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I don't even think I noticed the first time a body exploded from the black widow, it was more of a. Wait did that dude just explode....holly gently caress this riffles makes people explode! The Soldier class better be able to make things go into a mess of human soup.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

With the help of BrooklynBruiser, I tweeted my baller Scott Ian Shep to Scott Ian, but he deleted the tweet :(

Sounds like Scott Ian's pretty pissed about the endings, too.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is a thing of beauty! Can you post the face code?

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Is there anyway to access the console/enter commands? I ran in to the glitch where all my money and fuel vanished, but didn't notice till like an hour later after progress. Don't really wanna go back and play it all again :(

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Holy hell, tech combos are amazing :stare:

This Insanity Engineer is going to be *extremely* awesome. Cryo Blast went from a '1 point talent' to something truly wonderful :3: As arse kicking as the Insanity Adept was, I never properly explored the combo mechanics, mainly comboing like I used to in ME2, from force of habit. Now I'm getting to grips with things, its massive AoE carnage on a whole other level!

Edit: More specifically, what I'd almost entirely overlooked in my previous playthrough was the matter of comboing across talent groups. I totally need to do another Adept onxe this Engineer is finished.

magimix fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 22, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

E: Wrong thread! :downs:

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 22, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
How do tech combos work? I know biotic combos are set off by charging with one and then setting it off with throw or warp...is it just "cryo/pyro blast" then overload?

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
You can prime Tech combos with abilities like Cryo Blast, Overload, Sabotage, Energy Drain, Frozen/Burning targets from Ammo powers or even grenades.

You can then detonate them with pretty much any ability that deals damage, including biotic abilities like Warp and Throw, but cryo explosions and pyro explosions will only detonate if the original target dies to the second power. Tech bursts (the electrical combo) will detonate even if the target lives.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

OAquinas posted:

How do tech combos work? I know biotic combos are set off by charging with one and then setting it off with throw or warp...is it just "cryo/pyro blast" then overload?

There are three kinds of tech combos: Fire Ice Electric

They are initiated by using an ability of three elements (INCLUDING AMMOS).

For Fire and Ice, detonation is via any power that does damage (biotic or a tech power that's not the initiator) AND kills the target.

For Electric (Tech Burst), it will detonate with any direct damage power attack (besides the initiator).

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
So if I use Warp to kill a guy who's on fire from incinerate or incendiary ammo or whatever, he'll explode and set everyone around him on fire also?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

losonti tokash posted:

So if I use Warp to kill a guy who's on fire from incinerate or incendiary ammo or whatever, he'll explode and set everyone around him on fire also?
Pretty much.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

OAquinas posted:

Already posted this in the mulitplayer thread but it should help you out, I pulled it from the digital guide that came with my CE guide book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Urdnot Fire posted:

You can't just make a non-white Renegade Shep, though.

Look at how wrong you are. Black shep best shep.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I'm going to post this here since the spoiler thread has gone full retard and it's not a spoiler.

I'm glad to see they have a sense of humour!

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Saw this on tumblr, thought you guys might get a kick out of it - the Garrus/Shepard version of the bedtime story Go the gently caress to Sleep. (Original, read by Samuel L Jackson.)

quote:

The varren nestle close to their cubs now.
The Elcor have laid down in their keep.
You’re cozy and warm in your bed, Shep dear.
Please... Go the gently caress to sleep.

The windowless Geth ship is dark, child.
The Krogan sleep down in the deep.
I’ll clean every last one of your toy ships if you swear—-
You’ll go the gently caress to sleep.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
So, discovered this. Thought I'd share.

LEGACY

An album by Jimmy Hinson, one of the dudes who composed for ME2. It's comprised almost entirely of tracks that were unused in ME2. So far I've really liked what I've heard- the first track is kind of a mash-up between Leaving Earth from ME3 and the Lazarus theme from ME2.

Edit: for clarity.

Hidohebhi fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 23, 2012

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

Are you using one of the pistol melee attachments? I want to use one but I like the scope and armor penetration mods.
Uh no, I just punch dudes, and they fall down and evaporate. Don't know about any attachments, I'm still on the first proper level :shobon:

Decided to be Vanguard in this game, hope it's gonna be fun.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I finished Priority:Tuchanka, got all paragon on everyone's rear end, got back to my ship and did a mini mission. Oh hey, Liara wants to see me in my cabin!

She shows me her memory bank thingy and tells me she wrote my name in the stars. :3: It was sweet as hell and whether I romance anyone or not I like that this game has people coming up and being *grateful* to the Shep for all her hard work in fighting the murderous alien invasion.

You know what, galaxy?

You're welcome. :shepface:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Hidohebhi posted:

So, discovered this. Thought I'd share.

LEGACY

An album by Jimmy Hinson, one of the dudes who composed for ME2. It's comprised almost entirely of tracks that were unused in ME2. So far I've really liked what I've heard- the first track is kind of a mash-up between Leaving Earth from ME3 and the Lazarus theme from ME2.

Edit: for clarity.

This is really nice (As is Count Choculitus' post above). It's quite cool to hear a more electronic spin on the orchestral themes in the game. All three games have such stellar soundtracks!

I'm definitely going to throw this guy $5.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
That and your final moment with her near the end the end of the game where the two of you just stand together watching that blue illusion. Nothing was spoken at all but it was incredibly moving.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

CuddleChunks posted:

I finished Priority:Tuchanka, got all paragon on everyone's rear end, got back to my ship and did a mini mission. Oh hey, Liara wants to see me in my cabin!

She shows me her memory bank thingy and tells me she wrote my name in the stars. :3: It was sweet as hell and whether I romance anyone or not I like that this game has people coming up and being *grateful* to the Shep for all her hard work in fighting the murderous alien invasion.

You know what, galaxy?

You're welcome. :shepface:

That scene was cool, but right after that moment it suddenly occurred to me that, from one perspective, my Shepard has been dating the Asari equivalent of a 10 year old who just urgently called me to meet with her and then essentially showed me a pretty picture she drew of me. But to some Asari, I'm sure that her dating a young human, a mere fraction of her age, is pretty scandalous.

In other words, only in Mass Effect do you have the creepy issue of two pedophiles involved in mutual molestation.

Bioware just loves to push barriers!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Best part about the new gibbing?

(near end-game) Gibbing Kai Leng results in the game crashing / freezing for me. Every time. :v:

Satisfying as gently caress, though!

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."
What's general opinion on the last evolution of soldier's combat mastery?Damage bonus looks cool,but I also want to be able to carry both sniper rifle and AR without making cooldown on adrenaline rush twice longer.

LobsterTick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2012

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004

Banjodark posted:

forget that, you should keep people alive for maximum horrible failshep things in me3

Here's my dream failshep scenario

(heavy me3 spoilers below for like EVERYTHING, you've been warned.)

jack - let her be taken at grissom academy and converted into a phantom
tali & legion - let legion upload his code and tali commit suicide off a cliff OR send legion to cerberus, kill him at the cerberus base in me3 and still side with the geth, forcing tali to kill herself.
get grunt through me2 without his loyalty, let him die to the rachni in me3. sacrifice his squad at the same time. Make sure you kill the rachni queen so that the frankenqueen will betray you.
Destroy maelon's data, keep wrex alive. Betray the krogan and sabotage the genophage. Eve will die, you'll murder mordin and later on you'll murder wrex too.
Miranda - don't contact her and let her die to kai leng. Bonus points - romance her then dump her in me3. Make sure to visit thane in hospital so he can die as well.
Steve cortez - don't help him get over his husband or romance him, he'll die on earth.
Nuke Kaidan (let him go out a hero), Shoot ashley in the face because her new haircut is terrible.
Pick Samara over morinth. Have Samara kill herself at the monastery. Then murder her last remaining child in cold blood.
Recruit Zaeed after the suicide mission, leave him to die during his loyalty.
Kasumi - kill her off during the suicide mission or keep her unloyal and let her die in me3 trying to stop a hanar plot (what a lame way to go).
Kill garrus in the suicide mission.

have a super low EMS - your squad mates with you will die to harbinger's beam. The normandy will explode instead of crash land and you'll burn earth to a husk with the DESTROY ending so that you also genocide the geth and EDI -or- die to marauder shields then turn off the game.

Send jacob in the vents, because who really cares about Jacob anyway?

at some point in the future, I need to do all of that in one unspectacular playthrough. To top it all off, I'll romance Allers so it's officially the worst shepard ever.

you haven't reached the maximum amount of fail possible. don't visit Thane at all in ME3 and Major Kirrahee is killed in his place. Thane still ends up dead after the Cerberus attack from his disease. His name appears on the wall of the fallen on deck 3 as soon as the mission is complete.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Endormoon posted:

you haven't reached the maximum amount of fail possible. don't visit Thane at all in ME3 and Major Kirrahee is killed in his place. Thane still ends up dead after the Cerberus attack from his disease. His name appears on the wall of the fallen on deck 3 as soon as the mission is complete.

question: what exactly happens if kirahee dies on virmire because you didn't do the bonus objectives while clearing out saren's base? who shows up if both thane and kirahee are dead? I'm guessing no one and the Councillor dies? Maybe that's the best option then.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Banjodark posted:

question: what exactly happens if kirahee dies on virmire because you didn't do the bonus objectives while clearing out saren's base? who shows up if both thane and kirahee are dead? I'm guessing no one and the Councillor dies? Maybe that's the best option then.

If Thane died in 2/you don't talk to him in the hospital in 3 and Kirrahe died in 1, the Councillor is killed by Leng.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, I missed Aethyta the first time around and that is some funny loving dialogue.

Her talking about Benezia's rack, much to Liara's discomfort, and "as useful as tits on a hanar" had me in stitches.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Holy poo poo, I missed Aethyta the first time around and that is some funny loving dialogue.

Her talking about Benezia's rack, much to Liara's discomfort, and "as useful as tits on a hanar" had me in stitches.
I think my favourite part of that whole thing is when you convince Liara to actually speak to her and mid-sentence liara just storms off with a "FINE WHATEVER SHEPARD". Things like that made me stop hating liara after how much I disliked her character in the first game

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Count Choculitis posted:

Saw this on tumblr, thought you guys might get a kick out of it - the Garrus/Shepard version of the bedtime story Go the gently caress to Sleep. (Original, read by Samuel L Jackson.)

Paging Keener for the voiceover

Hidohebhi posted:

LEGACY

Definitely grabbing this

funakupo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 23, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Banjodark posted:

I think my favourite part of that whole thing is when you convince Liara to actually speak to her and mid-sentence liara just storms off with a "FINE WHATEVER SHEPARD". Things like that made me stop hating liara after how much I disliked her character in the first game

Liara was boring as gently caress in the first game, sucked in ME2, but then got major improvement in LOTSB and now in ME3 she is one of my favorite characters. Granted her transition from shy scientist to cold-hearted information broker is jarring as gently caress, but it made the character a lot better so I don't mind.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Noni posted:

That scene was cool, but right after that moment it suddenly occurred to me that, from one perspective, my Shepard has been dating the Asari equivalent of a 10 year old who just urgently called me to meet with her and then essentially showed me a pretty picture she drew of me. But to some Asari, I'm sure that her dating a young human, a mere fraction of her age, is pretty scandalous.

In other words, only in Mass Effect do you have the creepy issue of two pedophiles involved in mutual molestation.

Bioware just loves to push barriers!

Oh my god I'm so sick of hearing this. She's a drat college graduate even in ME1 when you first meet her, and has been living and working on her own for a while even then.

Man, people sure are good at missing the point with Asari, geez.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That whole series of conversations with her are some of my favorite in the game. As Banjo says, how frustrated Liara sounds when you goad her into talking to Aethyta is great. And how Aethyta essentially taunts you about dating Liara. But I think my favorite line is when Aethyta makes fun of Liara for sleeping with Shepard and asks her "So how many times have you popped his thermal clip". And how Liara doesn't even know how to respond to that.

Really the whole sequence is amazing.

edit -

quote:

Liara was boring as gently caress in the first game, sucked in ME2, but then got major improvement in LOTSB and now in ME3 she is one of my favorite characters. Granted her transition from shy scientist to cold-hearted information broker is jarring as gently caress, but it made the character a lot better so I don't mind.

While I obviously disagree with you that she was bad in ME1, I'm still personally impressed by just how much they've done with her since and including LotSB. So many improvements to her character, design, and even the detail on her model - absolutely everything really - since LotSB. It's just astounding how far they've taken her since ME1.

Aristobulus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 23, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm reasonably certain that Liara's the only one on your crew in ME1 to take any interest in Shepard's wellbeing even before Virmire, so that makes her all right in my book.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

Tell me more about how the internet has misrepresented your fictional, fetishized girlfriend.

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree it's jarring, but as I said before, I don't think it's because of the extremes of character that she moves between I think it's because you don't get to see that movement, you're merely told about it, it's largely an emotional and narrative-based journey and those are both the kind of things you should be shown and not told.

That said, I don't really agree with the reading of her as 'cold-hearted'. She's tougher, sure, but she's not an ice-queen, it's almost cloyingly represented that she's still quite emotional and not really the hard exterior that she presents.

In fact I think that's really the worst part of her transition is that ocasionally they mistake her being emotional for her transitioning back into the willow-y, shaky, disturbing caricature she became for significant parts of ME1.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dan Didio posted:

I agree it's jarring, but as I said before, I don't think it's because of the extremes of character that she moves between I think it's because you don't get to see that movement, you're merely told about it, it's largely an emotional and narrative-based journey and those are both the kind of things you should be shown and not told.

That said, I don't really agree with the reading of her as 'cold-hearted'. She's tougher, sure, but she's not an ice-queen, it's almost cloyingly represented that she's still quite emotional and not really the hard exterior that she presents.

In fact I think that's really the worst part of her transition is that ocasionally they mistake her being emotional for her transitioning back into the willow-y, shaky, disturbing caricature she became for significant parts of ME1.

Well I didn't mean to imply that she was cold-hearted all the time, just mainly in regard to her information dealing. With Shepard and co. she is still a nice person, which is what makes her an enjoyable character.

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm reasonably certain that Liara's the only one on your crew in ME1 to take any interest in Shepard's wellbeing even before Virmire, so that makes her all right in my book.

In ME1 all she wanted to do was gently caress me when I talked to her.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I didn't mean to imply that she was cold-hearted all the time, just mainly in regard to her information dealing. With Shepard and co. she is still a nice person, which is what makes her an enjoyable character.

Oh, okay, yeah. Sure, I mean I think her introduction in 2 makes it clear that particular facet is a 'front' she wears during her official capacity as an information broker, but I do think some times in Shadow Broker and 3 the actual, underlying assertiveness that change built into her character is discarded along with the front and she goes too far back into the worst parts of her character in 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Aristobulus posted:

Out with the old

In with the new

• Locked thread