Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

shyguy posted:

Not barring the whole division champ anomaly, I wonder how much home ice really matters over the fact that generally the team with home ice is just better to begin with. That's usually how they get there.

look at home-away records this year. some teams who are mediocre in the standings (ie washington) have superb home records (there are of course some teams where it is the opposite but there are far far less in that category).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Do guys coming out of retirement/back to the NHL (Selanne, Sundin, Radulov, etc.) require much adjustment or time to get their legs back under them for the NHL game? The reason I ask is I'm looking at picking up Radulov in a Fantasy league, but don't know if it'll be a wasted roster spot if he may not do much while re-adjusting to the Preds system.

I know this has happened before, but I never paid that much attention other than being aware that guys came out of retirement or back from overseas. Is it like riding a bike or will it take a few games?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do guys coming out of retirement/back to the NHL (Selanne, Sundin, Radulov, etc.) require much adjustment or time to get their legs back under them for the NHL game? The reason I ask is I'm looking at picking up Radulov in a Fantasy league, but don't know if it'll be a wasted roster spot if he may not do much while re-adjusting to the Preds system.

I know this has happened before, but I never paid that much attention other than being aware that guys came out of retirement or back from overseas. Is it like riding a bike or will it take a few games?

I don't think you can really say, it'll vary by player.

e: But the safe bet is that yeah, it will take a few games.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The biggest adjustment for someone like Radulov (i.e., not an old dude) is the rink size right? They use the bigger international-sized rinks in the KHL (I'm assuming) so that's usually an adjustment.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Radulov has been fully active for the entire time he's been out and has played a few years on an NHL rink - he's about as ready as a guy can be without having been in an NHL lineup for this year. He also doesn't suffer old man syndrome like Sundin and theoretically Selanne (who was recently confirmed to be ageless).

Without knowing what kind of league it is, I'd still probably pick him up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can see it a lot when guys come back from injuries.. they generally look like poo poo for 2-3 games before they get back into the swing of things.

Pro hockey is such a massive grind, any interruption has a huge impact on performance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

The biggest adjustment for someone like Radulov (i.e., not an old dude) is the rink size right? They use the bigger international-sized rinks in the KHL (I'm assuming) so that's usually an adjustment.

The biggest adjustment is that the NHL is a flat out better league than the KHL.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
in selanne/sundin's cases, those are super talented players, it's more about them getting their conditioning back up to game level than getting reacclimated to the game. same thing with a dude coming off a long injury (marc staal this year for example).

as far as coming over from europe the change in level in competition is obviously the biggest thing, but the rink size makes a huge difference too. in the world championships last year norway, a lovely team, kept pace with the USA for almost the entire game that i watched because they just utilized the space on the ice so much better, judged the amount of time they had before defensemen closed the gaps better, etc. in actual feet and inches, the difference isn't that big, but in practice it really is noticeable. this is a big part of why a lot of players from europe get time to season in the AHL, to get adjusted to the rink size and how that changes the speed and feel of the game.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Are there any good blogs or websites to follow (especially for someone who has never really followed hockey before)? That Backhand Shelf blog someone posted earlier is pretty cool. Bruins-related is cool, since I'm a Boston fan (with a soft spot for Winnipeg, for no particular reason). I have realized that every year around mid-February I inevitably start watching the Bruins, and I've loved every hockey game I've gone to see live, so why not try to follow the sport?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Brettbot posted:

Are there any good blogs or websites to follow (especially for someone who has never really followed hockey before)? That Backhand Shelf blog someone posted earlier is pretty cool.

I really have nothing to say except that The Backhand Shelf is really amazing, even if only for the Systems Analysis, The Whiteboard, and Ellen Etchingham's history lessons. Sure, there are other cool things on it like simple statistical analysis, and The Quiet Room where injuries are discussed, but those 3 features are what keep me coming back.

In general, (as a Habs fan) I use Hockey Inside/out for Habs news, Puck Daddy for general NHL news and analysis, TSN for breaking news, and TBS for the cool quirky little things I might miss.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Brettbot posted:

Are there any good blogs or websites to follow (especially for someone who has never really followed hockey before)? That Backhand Shelf blog someone posted earlier is pretty cool. Bruins-related is cool, since I'm a Boston fan (with a soft spot for Winnipeg, for no particular reason). I have realized that every year around mid-February I inevitably start watching the Bruins, and I've loved every hockey game I've gone to see live, so why not try to follow the sport?

thepensblog.com :getin:

no actually don't read it it's awful

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Pass it to Bulis rules but you pretty much have to be a Canuck fan to enjoy it

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Brettbot posted:

puck daddy is probably the most widely-read hockey blog out there. if you want to get daily nhl news along with some pretty interesting articles occasionally. if anything, you'll get a better appreciation for the sport by learning about teams you normally wouldn't hear anything about.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Brettbot posted:

I've been impressed by the Blackhawks sbnation blog secondcityhockey, so I checked out the sbnation blog for the Bruins

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/

Here it is, I can't vouch for quality because the moment anyone mentions the Bruins my eyes start to glaze over.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a lot of people hate puck daddy i guess, but it covers the broadest number of teams, updates very frequently, and if something worth knowing about happened in the league it's probably going to be mentioned there. the writing's not the greatest but it's way better than a lot of the individual team blogs out there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

a lot of people hate puck daddy i guess, but it covers the broadest number of teams, updates very frequently, and if something worth knowing about happened in the league it's probably going to be mentioned there. the writing's not the greatest but it's way better than a lot of the individual team blogs out there.

Puckdaddy is good for it's ability to gather together in one place a bunch of links to quality hockey sites/news, etc, just don't bother reading any of their opinion articles, as they are almost universally bad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vigilance posted:

Puckdaddy is good for it's ability to gather together in one place a bunch of links to quality hockey sites/news, etc, just don't bother reading any of their opinion articles, as they are almost universally bad.

they mostly just state the obvious, that's not really that bad

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

reach42 posted:

I've been impressed by the Blackhawks sbnation blog secondcityhockey, so I checked out the sbnation blog for the Bruins

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/

Here it is, I can't vouch for quality because the moment anyone mentions the Bruins my eyes start to glaze over.
It's not as good as SCH but that's a really high bar. It's not the worst commenting community. I barely read the articles, even the ones I write :ssh:

The other major Bruins blog is http://www.daysofyorr.com/ which is a thepensblog wannabe but I find pretty funny. Do you have twitter?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Vigilance posted:

Unless they're r-lam's, then they're hilarious when combined with his tweets.
What about for a leafs blog? I have trouble following them with how good the pens are and occasionally check PPP.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Wow, those whiteboard articles are awesome

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Thanks for all the help! I bookmarked Backhand Shelf (nth-ing the "Awesome Whiteboard articles" sentiment), Days Of Y'Orr, Stanley Cup Of Chowder, and Puck Daddy. I even enjoy Pass It To Bulis, so that should keep me busy for a while.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 29, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Instead of bookmarking them, just subscribe to the RSS feed and view them through Google Reader. If you have a gmail account it's already set up for you. I can't believe it took me as long as it did for me to figure out what an RSS feed is and why they're awesome.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
So, the playoffs are right around the corner and I keep hearing people say that playoff hockey is so different from regular season hockey. I know that the rules are a little different (vis-a-vis overtime stuff), but what other differences can I expect to see once April 11th rolls around? Or are my friends just being dramatic?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's more a tension thing than any actual changes in the game rules. Refs have a tendency to make fewer calls and let the guys "go at it" but that's really the only measurable difference.

The major difference is the excitement level.. every team is facing elimination and a single goal can turn a series around. Teams play up to 7 games against each other so a lot of rivalries and stories tend to come out of it too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It's not just excitement level. Playoff hockey is honestly just better hockey.

A few reasons:

- You now have the best teams in the league playing against each other, rather than, say Edmonton vs Columbus.

- Coaches will start healthy-scratching their goons to make way for more skill players. They'll still have a grind line, and there are lots of players in the league now who can score and fight. But the guys with more pentalty-minutes than ice time are off the roster when the regular season's over.

- Players start to worry less about getting injured. A loss in the regular season isn't the end of the world - and most players will act accordingly. Conversely, a loss in the playoffs could mean the end of your season, so more guys are willing to make physically riskier decisions then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It at least seems like guys hold back less. In the regular season sometimes players seem to give less than 100%. In the playoffs every game is so meaningful that every player is busting their rear end all the time.

That's the theory anyways. I'm not sure if I buy it or not. My eyes tell me that it does look like players expend more effort in the playoffs than the regular season (look at the way Malkin played defense in the Cup finals when the Pens beat Detroit. I've never before or since seen him put the effort into defense that he did there), but I have no statistical proof that this is the case.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
I would be inclined to agree with that. players are more likely to put their bodies on the line and bust their asses like crazy in the playoffs - every dude who deserves to be in the league plays like someone's going to shoot his family if his team loses in the playoffs. this sometimes results in players returning to games with injuries they have no business playing through - see stamkos getting the puck to the face last year, or the crazy story from when brent gilchrist was on the wings in the 90s and literally had his groin muscle pinned to his hipbone during a game because it tore clean off and still loving played

playoff hockey really is that intense. if you want to watch hockey that convinces you the game is worth watching, the playoffs are the time to do it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CobwebMustardseed posted:

So, the playoffs are right around the corner and I keep hearing people say that playoff hockey is so different from regular season hockey. I know that the rules are a little different (vis-a-vis overtime stuff), but what other differences can I expect to see once April 11th rolls around? Or are my friends just being dramatic?

It's somewhat indescribable, but the intensity ramps up in a very noticeable way. Teams will float through mid-December games and eke out a 2-1 win in a pretty uneventful dump and chase style. With a playoff game, every win matters so holding a one goal lead is an all out war as teams crash the net with reckless abandon in a desperate attempt to tie it up. Teams often abandon defensive strategies when they're trailing and initiate heavy forechecks and you'll see back and forth attacking hockey at its best. At the very least the hits are harder, the fights have real emotion and the goals all feel that much more satisfying as each one is so significant. Plus OT is what hockey is all about. There's generally one 3+ OT game every couple years, and we're overdue for one. Watch as much OT hockey as you can regardless of the teams involved, it's just too great.

Basically because this is the type of emotion you see on an annual basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbJ-SKrsYs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cammmmpolllliiii. :argh:

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
Also CBC makes delightful montages before each game they're showing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPJsgvJBv2M

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

There's generally one 3+ OT game every couple years, and we're overdue for one. Watch as much OT hockey as you can regardless of the teams involved, it's just too great.

I remember being glued to my TV in '03 when the Ducks had that 5-OT game against the Stars. That game was epic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

I would be inclined to agree with that. players are more likely to put their bodies on the line and bust their asses like crazy in the playoffs - every dude who deserves to be in the league plays like someone's going to shoot his family if his team loses in the playoffs. this sometimes results in players returning to games with injuries they have no business playing through - see stamkos getting the puck to the face last year, or the crazy story from when brent gilchrist was on the wings in the 90s and literally had his groin muscle pinned to his hipbone during a game because it tore clean off and still loving played

playoff hockey really is that intense. if you want to watch hockey that convinces you the game is worth watching, the playoffs are the time to do it.

Atmospherically it's so ridiculously awesome too. Playoff crowds in hockey are so awesome. There's really nothing like it. And yeah a guy playing like his family is going to get murdered if his team loses is a pretty damned good descriptor of playoff hockey and how hard guys play.

I'm convinced if you take someone who has never been to a hockey game before to a playoff game they will be hooked. Playoff hockey is that fun.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zorkon posted:

Also CBC makes delightful montages before each game they're showing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPJsgvJBv2M

I rather enjoyed this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcHmIxWoBk

Playoff hockey is the best hockey. If you or someone you know is on the fence about getting into this glorious sport, now is the time to start watching it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In yesterday's Pens/Flyers game, Kris Letang and Kimmo Timonen were both ejected for violating rule 46.7, Fighting after the original altercation:

quote:

A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who is assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation has started.
Notwithstanding this rule, at the discretion of the Referee, the automatic game misconduct penalty may be waived for a player or goalkeeper in the altercation if the opposing player was clearly the instigator of the altercation.

My question is, why is this a rule? I'm guessing it was put in as a response to something, or at least to prevent something, but what? Is it just they want to keep the game going and don't want to have a million fights that start at different times?

My real point is, if their fight had started at the same time as the Giroux/Crosby fight, they wouldn't have gotten misconducts. Why the seemingly arbitrary distinction in "when the fight starts"?

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

myron cope posted:

In yesterday's Pens/Flyers game, Kris Letang and Kimmo Timonen were both ejected for violating rule 46.7, Fighting after the original altercation:

My question is, why is this a rule? I'm guessing it was put in as a response to something, or at least to prevent something, but what? Is it just they want to keep the game going and don't want to have a million fights that start at different times?

My real point is, if their fight had started at the same time as the Giroux/Crosby fight, they wouldn't have gotten misconducts. Why the seemingly arbitrary distinction in "when the fight starts"?

Because the 1970s Flyers

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

The officials are already busy breaking up the first fight, so it's going to be harder to end the next one which could result in injury.

Just my briefly thought-out guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Making this a sticky during the playoffs.

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks
I read the NBA and MLB beginners threads and thought "Hmm, I hope my thread isn't too long" and now I read this and I can't help but think that the posters for every other sport should be downright ashamed I say

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Holy poo poo, in I don't know how many years of watching hockey I've never noticed the referee force-field lines where they talk to the off-ice dudes. My mind is blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
The referee crease is even more sacred than the goalie crease! Anyone who dares enter it at the wrong time is instantly put to death

• Locked thread