Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you are looking to do a 1250, I can't recommend NRHS enough. Nrhsperformance.com. Dan is the owner and a really helpful guy. If you call him up and tell him what you are looking to accomplish, he'll definitely point you in the right direction.

The other guy I'd recommend is the other dan at hammer performance. I know they do all the head work for nrhs and they have set several records at bonneville on buells. Those two guys know buells and sportsters better than most anyone.

I had my sportster rebuilt last year with 1250, 04 1200r heads...same as Buell and Andrews N4 cams. I went through nrhs and they were great. Bike has been dead reliable 2500 miles later. I do have to run premium octane though as i'm running 10.5 to 1 compression. I'm running an Ultima ignition set to the least aggressive curve. After adjusting my voes, I don't get any detonation.

Can't imagine what 103 HP feels like. I haven't dynod but based on other similar builds, i'm probably pushing around 85 rwhp and it feels really healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Let's talk about 1200 top end work.

My buell has about 40k

same horsepower as its making now (102 on a Dyno)

Egads, man, you've already achieved two things a typical Sporty motor never sees. Why tempt fate? :) Are you sourcing this from Zipper's?

There's no performance bump, but I've been contemplating a Mikuni HSR42 kit, as they don't seem terribly difficult to install. General consensus is that it improves throttle response/rideability and the tuning bits are more accessible. Actually, for a 100+ hp bike like yours, there may actually be some appreciable gain (assuming you're also blessed with a stock Keihin).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was looking at Hammer, they seem to have good reputation.

'06 XBs like mine do about 105 stock at the crank, and mine's been uncorked and remapped on a dyno; I pulled the 102 number from the papers that came with the bike, not my rear end - how optimistic was the dyno though, 18,000 miles ago... They respond well to breathing upgrades and tune, I am not in crazy power land or anything, the bike is about where it should be.

I'm basically looking for status quo, power-wise, but with a more tractory torque curve so I can poo poo my pants at a lower RPM. New rings, pistons, cylinders, and top end seals/gaskets should take care of its expensive AMSoil habit.

Scrapez posted:

Can't imagine what 103 HP feels like

Probably similar to yours, minus 100 lbs, with a bigger dose of rev limiter. A lot of the power lives at 6-7k. I usually keep it under 6.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I was looking at Hammer, they seem to have good reputation.

'06 XBs like mine do about 105 stock at the crank, and mine's been uncorked and remapped on a dyno; I pulled the 102 number from the papers that came with the bike, not my rear end - how optimistic was the dyno though, 18,000 miles ago... They respond well to breathing upgrades and tune, I am not in crazy power land or anything, the bike is about where it should be.

I'm basically looking for status quo, power-wise, but with a more tractory torque curve so I can poo poo my pants at a lower RPM. New rings, pistons, cylinders, and top end seals/gaskets should take care of its expensive AMSoil habit.

Probably similar to yours, minus 100 lbs, with a bigger dose of rev limiter. A lot of the power lives at 6-7k. I usually keep it under 6.

I am Buell retarded so I have no idea what they come with for stock cams but would a set of aftermarket cams give you more of the torque curve you're looking for?

With the N4's in my bike (Screamin Eagle .497s), it seems to come on around 3000-3500 but that is with the crazy low 883 gearing. It's a torque monster.

I know that NRHS is currently working with Andrews on a custom cut cam for Sportsters so they may be doing something similar for Buells as well. Hammer may be as well, I'm not sure.

That is an impressive number of miles you've put on your bike. I don't even have half of that on mine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ha, I just got the bike, those aren't my miles. I'm working on sorting everything out in anticipation of summer. It needs new rings, and the whole 1250 idea is a "while the engine is out anyway" sort of deal.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Kind of a stupid question, but I've got a 78 sportster and it needs new fork seals. How do I know which seals to buy? I've been looking at seals, seal rebuild kits, etc, but they all specify certain front ends and different year ranges that mine could fall in.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is, how do I determine if I have a Showa, Kayaba, or other fork?

IcedPee fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 22, 2012

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marv Hushman posted:

Egads, man, you've already achieved two things a typical Sporty motor never sees. Why tempt fate? :) Are you sourcing this from Zipper's?

There's no performance bump, but I've been contemplating a Mikuni HSR42 kit, as they don't seem terribly difficult to install. General consensus is that it improves throttle response/rideability and the tuning bits are more accessible. Actually, for a 100+ hp bike like yours, there may actually be some appreciable gain (assuming you're also blessed with a stock Keihin).

If you really like sporties and want a great engine with high horsepower that will fit in most buells and sportsters - have a look at the 100 inch s&s crate engine. Comes complete with an S&S carb and breather:

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Sportster/Engines/SB100-Complete-Assembled-Engine-p21206.html

Edit - I think it Dynos 115+ fp of torque and HP.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fkin posted:

If you really like sporties and want a great engine with high horsepower that will fit in most buells and sportsters - have a look at the 100 inch s&s crate engine. Comes complete with an S&S carb and breather:

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Sportster/Engines/SB100-Complete-Assembled-Engine-p21206.html

Edit - I think it Dynos 115+ fp of torque and HP.

Ten thousand dollars jesus gently caress.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Ten thousand dollars jesus gently caress.

Actually you can get them on ebay and from dealers for a lot less. S&S has a strange policy of putting outrageous pricing on their site since they only want to sell to dealers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would sure hope so, since I'm pretty sure you can get a brand new SBC for like half that much. And one set up for racing for the same price.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

I would sure hope so, since I'm pretty sure you can get a brand new SBC for like half that much. And one set up for racing for the same price.

Well... this will probably blow your mind then.

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Race-Components/Engines/160-Billet-60-Pro-Stock-Engines-p24890.html

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So we made new pegs and a badass sissy bar for my buddies Street Bob. He had an old harley sissy bar we cut the mounts off of and to be nice (since he has HD bars and shields all over his bike) we welded the original emblem back in place and covered it with the chrome and leather bar and shield so it still said HD.

It wasnt enough, so he put a big orange HD sticker on the front side of the emblem as well. So now the sissy bar says HD front and back.

:facepalm:

edit:

JESUS CHRIST!!!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 23, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

It's an automatic???

S&S posted:

Six-speed automatic transmission

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't need a lot of gearbox control on a drag bike. Whack the throttle open and hang on tight!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

IcedPee posted:

Kind of a stupid question, but I've got a 78 sportster and it needs new fork seals. How do I know which seals to buy? I've been looking at seals, seal rebuild kits, etc, but they all specify certain front ends and different year ranges that mine could fall in.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is, how do I determine if I have a Showa, Kayaba, or other fork?

I'm not too familiar with the pre-evo Sporties so I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that the fork sliders on my 2000 have "Showa" stamped on them.

I would ask your question over on xlforum.net. They'll know.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I just realized that Harley riders coming down the street from the local dealership look like they got stuck doing a jumping jack.

I just saw a dude on a Harley with ape hangers and highway pegs riding down the street.
He looked like a loving starfish.

Serious question:
How can this be, in any way, a comfortable riding position? I'd imagine that being a human parachute on a bike is kind of a scary feeling.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I just realized that Harley riders coming down the street from the local dealership look like they got stuck doing a jumping jack.

I just saw a dude on a Harley with ape hangers and highway pegs riding down the street.
He looked like a loving starfish.

Serious question:
How can this be, in any way, a comfortable riding position? I'd imagine that being a human parachute on a bike is kind of a scary feeling.
Above your shoulder riding is not comfortable at least for me. Highway pegs are supposed to give you alternate foot rest positions for long rides, riding on them in traffic is pretty dumb.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You guys crack me up sometimes. Of course it can be comfortable. Stretching your limbs out feels pretty good. Do you occasionally stand on your pegs or shake out your arms at stops? Its kind of a similar thing with apes and foot options. And wind isn't as bad as people make it out to be, once you get used to the pressure its pretty much a non-issue for anything except extremely hyper-legal speeds.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Scrapez posted:

I'm not too familiar with the pre-evo Sporties so I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that the fork sliders on my 2000 have "Showa" stamped on them.

I would ask your question over on xlforum.net. They'll know.

The problem is you can put a lot of different types of forks on these bikes. If they are stock you can get the seals from the fat book or S&S.

The S&S vintage sportster page is here:

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Vintage/1957-1985-Sportster-c171/

I'll see if I can find the fatbook catalog online

Edit here it is:

http://www.dragspecialties.com/catalogs/

Fkin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

You guys crack me up sometimes. Of course it can be comfortable. Stretching your limbs out feels pretty good.

That's pretty much what I figured but I honestly don't think I could ride like that. It just looks so... unstable.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's pretty much what I figured but I honestly don't think I could ride like that. It just looks so... unstable.

It's not. It's just different.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, put some weight on the pedals and light grip on the bars. Lap of luxury

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Ape Hangers aren't unstable for doing what Harleys do best which is riding in a straight line at 65 MPH. :hurr:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anything up to about 10"bars are comfortable for me. Beyond that and forget it.

That's coming from someone who is 6 feet tall and has long arms. I have no idea how some of these guys ride. I see these little dudes with huge apes and they don't even look like they are sitting on the seat.

Once you get your hands much above your shoulders, it pretty much sucks.

On the flip side, drag bars are even worse for me. Being hunched over kills my back. Im not willing to be uncomfortable to be cool.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cool humane society fund raiser run today got to take the springer on a decent ride for the first time since the rebuild. Got up into the low 60s and sunny today - had a blast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity -- was this a Harley-only event or is that just the average distribution in your part of the world? Cause goddamn, that's a lot of black and chrome.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

Out of curiosity -- was this a Harley-only event or is that just the average distribution in your part of the world? Cause goddamn, that's a lot of black and chrome.

Off the top of my head there were at least a couple victory bikes, a vstar, a vulcan and a big dog there. Tons, including mine are not black.

Some guy was riding his dirt bike also at least at that particular stop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, so basically all cruisers then is what I meant. I'm not harshing on cruisers, just interested. What do you think is the reason that such a ride isn't more popular with other styles of motorcycle? Age group?

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

Well, so basically all cruisers then is what I meant. I'm not harshing on cruisers, just interested. What do you think is the reason that such a ride isn't more popular with other styles of motorcycle? Age group?

Not sure what you are asking here, if you are asking why most of these guys own Harleys or cruisers a lot of them do a lot of long range travelling and that is what they are for. The age group spanned 20 or so years with the middle in the 30s I would guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean, "why do people who go on charity rides own cruisers instead of sportbikes or dirt bikes or whatever." Or alternately, "why don't people who own sport bikes go on charity rides." What's the connection?

[e] unless you mean this was a super long distance ride on the interstate or something.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

I mean, "why do people who go on charity rides own cruisers instead of sportbikes or dirt bikes or whatever." Or alternately, "why don't people who own sport bikes go on charity rides." What's the connection?

[e] unless you mean this was a super long distance ride on the interstate or something.

Like I said, most of these guys do a lot of that (long distance) type of riding and not many have more than one bike. Plenty of sports bike people come to certain events but not many are into long distance riding.

I suspect a lot of sports bike riders were doing other things like perhaps racing. I stopped at the raceway on the way home that is near my house by Auburn and there were some guys out there. I don't usually ask people why they ride bike a or b.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I could see riding a Harley for a charity ride. Something big loud and shiny that draws attention sounds good for one.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I could see riding a Harley for a charity ride. Something big loud and shiny that draws attention sounds good for one.

I think there's more to it* than "I'm not participating in the charity ride because my bike doesn't draw enough attention".

*it being the question "why are cruisers the only bikes in the picture above?"

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Harley riders are usually older, wealthier, and have more free time.

:ms:

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bixington posted:

Harley riders are usually older, wealthier, and have more free time.

:ms:

Except that this is a group of friends who have done this every year for several years and about 30 percent of the riders in this group are under 30 and several under 20. And this was out in the enumclaw/stampede pass area so we were not "attracting anyone's attention."

Maybe we are just friends riding bikes and giving to charity and you assholes should just gently caress off and get the chip off your shoulders about whatever some other guy is riding.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Fkin posted:

Except that this is a group of friends who have done this every year for several years and about 30 percent of the riders in this group are under 30 and several under 20. And this was out in the enumclaw/stampede pass area so we were not "attracting anyone's attention."

Maybe we are just friends riding bikes and giving to charity and you assholes should just gently caress off and get the chip off your shoulders about whatever some other guy is riding.

So ~70% are over 40 :smug:. No one is persecuting your choice in bikes, cruisers dominate charity rides, and there's obvious reasons they do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fkin posted:

Jesus, man, I wasn't the dude complaining about cruisers in the other thread. I was actually curious as to why it seems like (and this is the case on all the charity rides I've seen) the vast majority of the people are riding cruisers, when I see plenty of supersports and dual-sports and such around town. It was even an opportunity for you to say "well, we're just a tighter knit bunch of friends and we care more about the community" if you wanted to.

I don't have anything against Harleys or cruisers or V-twins or saddlebags or chrome or anything. Just curious.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Fkin posted:

you assholes should just gently caress off

You just summed up my entire outlook on life!

On a side note be careful with the grouchiness, Cornelius might perceive you as a threat and eat you.

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
I just got this a couple of weeks back and did 300 miles of riding yesterday. It was a blast.
http://i.imgur.com/SWhGm.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Sagebrush posted:

Matures give, on average, $1066 per year to 6.3 charities
Boomers give $901 per year to 5.2 charities
Gen X gives $796 on average to 4.2 charities
Gen Y gives $341 to 3.6 charities.

That's a pretty steep dropoff there, Gen Y.

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/fundraising/a/generationalgivingstudy.htm

• Locked thread