Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If Tales of Graces f sells well enough would Bamco maybe bring Vesperia PS3 over here? It's the greatest injustice that Vesperia is only on the 360 in the US. The greatest. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Oldstench posted:

For some reason I bought Tales of Vesperia on XBL last week. I've gotten about 18 hours in and I just can't do it anymore. I like Yuri as a protagonist well-enough, but the story is just...I just don't give a poo poo about anything that happening. I literally fell asleep while playing it the other night. I don't see myself finishing that one up at all.

I have this experience with every single Tales game. I've actually bought like... 6 of them I think, over the last 15 years. And every single time my friend is like "Don't loving buy it, you hate these games and you know it" and I say "Yeah but I heard this one was really good! It's going to be different this time!" and of those 6, 4 of them have literally put me to sleep and the other two I didn't play long enough but they probably would have.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Adam Bowen posted:

I have this experience with every single Tales game. I've actually bought like... 6 of them I think, over the last 15 years. And every single time my friend is like "Don't loving buy it, you hate these games and you know it" and I say "Yeah but I heard this one was really good! It's going to be different this time!" and of those 6, 4 of them have literally put me to sleep and the other two I didn't play long enough but they probably would have.
Glad I'm not the only one. And it's not like I'm anti-jRPG. I recently played DQ8 for the first time and loved it. Downloaded FF9 last night on PSN and have high-hopes for that one. There's just something so generic about this game. It's completely mind-numbing to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HondaCivet posted:

If Tales of Graces f sells well enough would Bamco maybe bring Vesperia PS3 over here? It's the greatest injustice that Vesperia is only on the 360 in the US. The greatest. :argh:
The PS3 version of Vesperia is actually not much of an improved version anyway (it has nothing on what Graces got out of the ToGF remake). Honestly I'd say it's really not worth a re-localization over something like Xillia.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I doubt we'll ever get the PS3 version of Vesperia, but with any luck we'll get Xilia.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Japan first saw a re-release of Xillia. The end is particularly rushed and has some weak parts, something that got confirmed by the developers so they could make the Tales Anniversary release date.

Then hopefully we'll get the port of the re-release.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oldstench posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. And it's not like I'm anti-jRPG. I recently played DQ8 for the first time and loved it. Downloaded FF9 last night on PSN and have high-hopes for that one. There's just something so generic about this game. It's completely mind-numbing to me.

Turn off the voices and never use that kid.

Wait no do use him because he's slow as poo poo but you'll eventually have to fight this one boss that moves stupidly fast and will kill your poo poo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The PS3 version of Vesperia is actually not much of an improved version anyway (it has nothing on what Graces got out of the ToGF remake). Honestly I'd say it's really not worth a re-localization over something like Xillia.

Admiral Curtiss is showing off the PS3 content in his LP of the game, and honestly, Patty is pretty annoying and Vesperias cast is good enough that the 360 version is better off without her. This is terribly hypocritical because of my avatar, but I'm not terribly broken up about it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I just want the PS3 version of Vesperia because I don't have a 360 anymore. Are there any other options to play Vesperia in English besides having a 360? Subtitles would be acceptable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

I just want the PS3 version of Vesperia because I don't have a 360 anymore. Are there any other options to play Vesperia in English besides having a 360? Subtitles would be acceptable.

There's a patch being made, although I don't think it's done yet

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ironically this is from the front page of the fan translation:

"With Tales of Graces F coming out, there are also people who have updated their PS3 beyond a point where they can install a patch for Tales of Vesperia."

http://talesofgraces.com/vesperia/

I must have missed the updates on the homebrew scene, I thought they figured out how to bypass the version checks now for enabling homebrew.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Adam Bowen posted:

I played about 30 hours of Tales of Phantasia and beat Tales of Destiny on PS. That was enough to tell me never to play another Tales game. I mean, they were just so generic that they might as well have been named JRPG: the JRPG. The only thing special about them is their 2D battles but I never understood how that made the games any better. It seemed to me like I just pressed Attack repeatedly like in every other RPG along with doing the random spell, only in this case the walking around made the battles last a lot longer and be more tedious.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It seemed to me like I just pressed Attack repeatedly like in every other RPG along with doing the random spell, only in this case the walking around made the battles last a lot longer and be more tedious.

The battles tend to have the option to be rather more technical nowadays.

Tales games are very cliche and that isn't some people's thing, that's all. If you dislike Vesperia - which is generally regarded as the game which most subverts them and gives you a kickass Robin Hood party that gives no fucks - then you probably won't like any of the others.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rascyc posted:

I must have missed the updates on the homebrew scene, I thought they figured out how to bypass the version checks now for enabling homebrew.

Yeah, the PS3 homebrew scene is sadly a terrible mess. If we can find a possibility of running the patch/modified game on a firmware past 3.55, we'll be sure to post it along the release of the patch, but don't count on it.

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
Thanks for the help guys. Based on your responses it seems like I should check out radiant historia for sure, ff 4 and 6, and DQ 5. Also revisit earthbound (if I can find it anywhere).

Personally, I think that chrono trigger was the best game ever made.. and I played it last year so there is no nostalgia factor. I am hoping to find something at least comparable to it - hopefully one of these games will do that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I played about 30 hours of Tales of Phantasia and beat Tales of Destiny on PS. That was enough to tell me never to play another Tales game. I mean, they were just so generic that they might as well have been named JRPG: the JRPG. The only thing special about them is their 2D battles but I never understood how that made the games any better. It seemed to me like I just pressed Attack repeatedly like in every other RPG along with doing the random spell, only in this case the walking around made the battles last a lot longer and be more tedious.

I could live with the generic storylines and characters, but you pretty much nailed it about the battle system. Taking your typical Final Fantasy style "Mash X to win, no strategy needed" RPG which is already not very fun and making it real-time only makes it worse.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HondaCivet posted:

Well, there is a mostly functional menu patch out. It has some minor bugs, and it only translates menus (no story or skit translations), but it seems to work alright. Plus, the Synopsis menu is still translated, so you at least get SOME plot, and won't get lost without knowing where to go.

I also no longer have a 360 and felt a burning desire to play Vesperia, so it's been a lifesaver to me.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Thanks for the help guys. Based on your responses it seems like I should check out radiant historia for sure, ff 4 and 6, and DQ 5. Also revisit earthbound (if I can find it anywhere).

Personally, I think that chrono trigger was the best game ever made.. and I played it last year so there is no nostalgia factor. I am hoping to find something at least comparable to it - hopefully one of these games will do that.

Have you played Xenogears? Made by the Chrono Trigger team, sounds like Chrono Trigger in many places, feels more like Chrono Trigger to me than Chrono Cross, and in terms of epic stories with interesting characters, it's at the very top of RPGs with no one close in second. It's available for PSN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's also an unfinished mess that dumps basically the entire plot on you in a 12 hour long cutscene at the start of the second disc. A marvel more for what could have been that what was actually produced. I love the game, drat does it ever have more than its share of flaws.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 23, 2012

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

It's also an unfinished mess that dumps basically the entire plot on you in a 12 hour long cutscene at the start of the second disc. A marvel more for what could have been that what was actually produced. I love the game, drat does it ever have more than its share of flaws.

This is true, but if you're really into the plot, it may not be that bad of a thing. I've went back and replayed the 2nd disc more times than I've played the first. The most unenjoyable parts of the disc for me were actually the gameplay parts. If you're not into the plot, you could just immediately quit the game once you hit the 2nd disc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or just read the the very good LP and call it a day. Game's great but I wouldn't recommend actually playing it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

"Some people will gush all over it like it’s the second coming. Some people act like it murdered and raped their dog. In that order."

Well, a Dark Id Let's Play is probably preferable to playing the actual game almost all of the time. I didn't even realize he did XG. That should be pretty amazing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh man, I just got a nostalgia blast. Watched a Tecmo Secret of the Stars LP on Youtube. It's sooo bad but I played the hell out of that game as a kid.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh wow, I'd almost entirely repressed Secret of the Stars...my rage at the whole Kustera/Aqutallian thing burns anew!

Granted, the game has some nifty moments and ideas, just far from ideal execution. From the grand well of forgotten properties, it is one of those I'd like to think would benefit the most from a proper revival/remake given what few things were there for the foundations so long as it was a competent team at the helm.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
There was some definite potential there, like there were some interesting plot twists and the battle system was pretty cool (combo magic/Kustera). But there was like...zero character development and just a bunch of general nonsensical moments (like getting the gold nail for the ship, wtf was up with that?)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Chrono Trigger question, very simple:
I've just battled Magus for the first time and I'm simply wondering how far into the game I am. Maybe as a percentage complete or something?

I'm really enjoying it but that beautiful copy of Final Fantasy IV DS over there is beginning to distract me. :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Chrono Trigger question, very simple:
I've just battled Magus for the first time and I'm simply wondering how far into the game I am. Maybe as a percentage complete or something?

I'm really enjoying it but that beautiful copy of Final Fantasy IV DS over there is beginning to distract me. :)

You're perhaps a 1/3-1/4 of the way through. I don't know how FFIV DS is distracting you unless you have a beautiful copy of the strategy guide on hand as well because the augment system is ridiculous and the battles absurd.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While I agree it would have been a lot better if the augments were not missable and you could move them around between characters, it's not like you can't get through the game without them. And out of all of them, only these are really helpful enough to have an impact on making the game easier in my opinion:

Dualcast: Give Palom/Porom three throwaway augments
Omnicast: Give Fusoya one throwaway augment
Draw Attacks: Automatically obtained
Counter: Automatically obtained

You want Dual/Omnicast on Rosa, and Draw Attacks/Counter on Cecil. There, done. As for the difficulty...well, that's primarily the reason I think FFIV DS is the best iteration of the game thus far so I'd count it as a plus!

Chrono Trigger is really short anyway so you might as well finish it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

You're perhaps a 1/3-1/4 of the way through. I don't know how FFIV DS is distracting you unless you have a beautiful copy of the strategy guide on hand as well because the augment system is ridiculous and the battles absurd.
Oh what?

Awww :(

That... that sucks. I was really keen for this one.
Oh well, at least I have a ton of awesome Chrono Triggering ahead of me.

Still, hearing bad things about FFIV on the DS after looking forward to it so much is kinda :smith:

Nate RFB posted:

Chrono Trigger is really short anyway so you might as well finish it.
Oh, I'm loving it and I definitely will be finishing it...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 26, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I wish somebody would make a game like ogre battle. It was an awesome game but I have played it into the dirt. Even better if it had a level editor so people could make their own stages and share them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh what?

Awww :(

That... that sucks. I was really keen for this one.
Oh well, at least I have a ton of awesome Chrono Triggering ahead of me.

Still, hearing bad things about FFIV on the DS after looking forward to it so much is kinda :smith:
It's not perfect (in fact there are many things about it that could have been fixed easily which is annoying), but having played FFIV a dozen times at least across the SNES, GBA, and PSX, I would say that FFIV DS is my favorite version :)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

BadAstronaut posted:

Eh, it's just his opinion. I personally loved the game. Great story, great visuals (well, they're alright), good voice acting, and the augment system really isn't that hard.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I've played FFIV a lot of times over many different versions, but in the DS version I ended up quitting at the Golbez fight in the dwarf castle. It didn't really take much to get me to quit because the DS version of that game is one of the most tedious RPGs I've ever played.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Once you finish Crono Trigger feel free to put away childish things and become a man, because you have just played the greatest videogame of all and all subsequent games are so much poor reflections in light of Crono Trigger.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I just browsed through the manual and - unless I missed it - did not see a single thing about augments. Is this all fully explained in-game? Is there a good FAQ somewhere that acts as a guide (and not a list of spoilers) for the augment thing?

And about the combat - is it super hard and grindy?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sure, this was the one I think I wound up using*: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/939425-final-fantasy-iv/faqs/54117 (Scroll down to WALK.807).

Again, Dualcast, Omnicast, Draw Attacks, and Counter are the only "important" ones (in my opinion at least), and the last two you get automatically.

The game is based on a JRPG from 1991, so there is some element of old school grind to it (though not as much as, say, Dragon Quest). They upped the difficulty for the DS version, which some people did not like but a lot did. Essentially this time around you have to make use of status spells like Slow, Haste, Berserk, Blink, or whatever to get through the game, which is something no FF has ever really done well, even the original releases of FFIV.

*I think I gave Gil Farmer to Cecil, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 26, 2012

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I kinda like that stuff though - using status spells. Come from a D&D gaming background, so buffing and debuffing is par for the course.

Thanks for the link, I will check that thing out.

As for Dragon Quest, I have only completed 4 and 9, both on DS and both of which I absolutely loved. I also have 5, 6 and 8 sitting on my shelf. Not scared of a bit of DQ, and I didn't find either 4 or 9 too grindy at all.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Over and over in Games, I see one person say that DQ is grindy, then immediately after, someone posts that it isn't. Which is it damnit? :mad:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

My experience of DQ is limited to 4 and 9, both on DS, and so I can not comment beyond those two, and I can only say that there were perhaps two times in 4 where I had to grind up a level or two to win a major fight, and even these were not huge great big slogs.

As for the rest of the series, :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

HondaCivet posted:

Over and over in Games, I see one person say that DQ is grindy, then immediately after, someone posts that it isn't. Which is it damnit? :mad:

I think a lot of people that says its not grindy compared it to other jrpg, but it is, thing are really expensive in the games so you'll have to kill a lot of monster to afford decent equipment. |Also DQ9 play almost like an offline mmorpg.