Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

AsInHowe posted:

All of the cards have shipped out, and the iPad is at the Apple store to be fixed. Hoping to get it back later today.

Oh okay great news. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got my cards today!

Thanks for running the break, let's all meet up again for Gypsy Queen, get those sweet sweet on-card autos and mini-cards.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I just got back into this at the end of February after 15+ years away and I don't really open a ton of cards compared to some people.

I'm gonna consider this a pretty darn good month for me:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
drat dude! How much product have you opened? I was stoked to get the Longo bat card from the Heritage break. Your stuff has me beat by a mile haha.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

I just got back into this at the end of February after 15+ years away and I don't really open a ton of cards compared to some people.

I'm gonna consider this a pretty darn good month for me:

Nice pulls. You gonna keep that Rally Squirrel card or sell it? The ebay price has been dropping on it steadily since release, but it still gets $50-$70 or so.

Then if you want it for your collection, just buy it back in a month or two for $15. :v:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Just got my cards from the box break, thanks for putting it together. Only hit was a chrome lincecum #/1963 but good fun still.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
First box of heritage included

Bob Gibson 63 mint quarter.
Black Refractor Derek Jeter /63
Bautista Image Swap relic /63

Any chance I covered the cost of the box and I could think of ordering another?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

camoseven posted:

drat dude! How much product have you opened? I was stoked to get the Longo bat card from the Heritage break. Your stuff has me beat by a mile haha.

The Topps pulls came from 3 hobby boxes I bought. I was pissed on the first one because you're supposed to get an auto or relic in each box. I went back through and realized I got the squirrel. Evidently, it counts as a relic. :banjo:

My second box had a Kevin Youkilis patch card, which I thought was kinda weak, but whatever.

The third box I really regretted buying. I got it for under $50 off ebay and wasn't really expecting much. I nearly crapped myself when I saw how much the Pujols redemption was going for.

The Harper redemption I got when I bought 3 or 4 random packs on a whim at the local retail store. That was cool. I thought there was no way a redemption like that was in a retail pack.

I really haven't opened much else. No other full boxes. I've been a part of some small breaks, but never really got anything that wowed me.

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Nice pulls. You gonna keep that Rally Squirrel card or sell it? The ebay price has been dropping on it steadily since release, but it still gets $50-$70 or so.

Then if you want it for your collection, just buy it back in a month or two for $15. :v:

Just sold today for $53.50, so it basically paid for the box. Thought I'd take a pic of all to prove that I had them before they were sold.

Happy opening everyone!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

theacox posted:

The Topps pulls came from 3 hobby boxes I bought. I was pissed on the first one because you're supposed to get an auto or relic in each box. I went back through and realized I got the squirrel. Evidently, it counts as a relic. :banjo:
It shouldn't have. I got the Justin Upton SP in a box that also had an autograph. And my wood 1/1 came in a box that had a relic. I'm pretty sure relic/auto collation is separate from parallel and SP.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

theacox posted:

The Harper redemption I got when I bought 3 or 4 random packs on a whim at the local retail store. That was cool. I thought there was no way a redemption like that was in a retail pack.

I think Topps is pretty good about putting hits in their retail stuff as far as I can tell. I hit a Chase Utley relic in a Heritage retail blaster, which I feel pretty good about since you only get one hit per hobby box.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I don't open too many packs, I can only think of 3 real hits in the almost a year I've been collecting. Best was a Mariano Rivera jersey relic, as he's my favorite player.

I had to open dozens of packs of 2011 Bowman before I pulled the base Harper, and then when I finally got it, the centering was off. All the while I could have went on eBay and got one for the price of 3 packs.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 24, 2012

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So, as you all might know I am an Oakland A's fan, and have been for a very long time.

This is my Robb Nen ball, a legitimately cool guy who I could have only met through one person in particular.

A very odd tidbit is that ALL of my baseball memorabilia are from the Giants, and the guy who got it all was one of the more disliked Giants players in recent memory:

Jeff Kent.

I met Jeff Kent a long time ago when my stepdad introduced him to me. My stepdad was the finance manager of one of San Francisco's largest motorcycle dealership, and a lot of Giants players went through there to get their motorcycles, anyway it led to a lot of things. Jeff Kent was the reason I went to my first baseball game, got us free tickets dugout level on the Giants side multiple times, but the coolest thing he ever did was get me and my family tickets to the World Series, an experience I'll never forget:

This ball is signed by every single player on the Giants that played in the 2002 World Series, that is an official World Series ball. Those are also World Series Game Five tickets, that was the game where the Giants blew out the Angels 16-4. Kent in particular came out to the song "Back in Black" and mashed two dingers to help the Giants, and I was never so excited in a sporting event.

So I guess all I can really say is everyone thinks Jeff Kent is a jerk, and by all accounts they have a decent point, but Jeff Kent is easily my favorite baseball player of all time just because of how cool he was to me especially and giving me, when he could have just ignored me, the experience of a lifetime and easily the coolest moments of my childhood.

Keep Swingin'. :patriot:

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 24, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
The only way that headshot could have been better is if he put "Chicks Dig the Long Ball" on it.

fake e: So your stepdad is somehow responsible for his motorcycle accident...:v:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

What are some reputable sites/boards for trading/selling cards?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here is some more of the video fromn the Heritage box break, which I'm guessing started to upload at the repair shop.

Box #2 (incomplete)

Box #3

Spoiler on the third one What the hell Topps? Couldn't you put the foil on the other side of the card so you don't stamp it over the guy's head?

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Antifreeze Head posted:

Here is some more of the video fromn the Heritage box break, which I'm guessing started to upload at the repair shop.

Box #2 (incomplete)

Box #3

Spoiler on the third one What the hell Topps? Couldn't you put the foil on the other side of the card so you don't stamp it over the guy's head?

Yeah no kidding. WTF?

Also, I need to remember that neat little thumbnail trick he uses in the first (second) video.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Quantrill posted:

SCF, Hobby Insider, Beckett if you're willing to gamble on kids being responsible.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Quantrill posted:

They're all full of idiots but BlowoutCards and FreedomCardboard are alright.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Quantrill posted:

I normally sell on ebay but checkoutmycards.com is worth looking into.

As for forums, I like Freedom Cardboard the best but there's also blowoutcards, sports card forum, and the bench.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I got some of my Diamond Giveaway cards in the mail a couple weeks ago and finally got around to scanning them. After the horror stories I have read about the conditions of cards people have received, I was pretty happy with mine. The Colbert is the worst of the bunch (beat to poo poo and written on), but 1 out of 7 isn't bad. Linked for big:

Front:

Back:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
For all the Tribute breaks I've been a part of in the last month, I was always unhappy with the results, especially because I almost always only have the Brewers or the NL Central.

I finally hit my first 1/1, and it's an auto printing plate (go to 1:30).

I just hope this isn't a joke, considering the date.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
drat dude!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I can't help but think that my luck is bound to change.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The best card I ever opened was a foil Darth Vader from the Star Wars CCG. 13 years ago. I deserve some baseball luck!

fake edit: i hope your luck flows to me once you lose it

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Have we had a chat about biggest pulls yet? I wish I had something to contribute, I guess my best was a 2003 Playoff Prestige Todd Helton 1/1. I don't even recall if it was an auto/jersey/bat card or a combo card (it's in storage at my parent's place) - but I believe it was the highest value card I ever pulled.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Mine was a Jeter jersey card that at one point booked $20

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

workingdogv1 posted:

Yeah no kidding. WTF?

Also, I need to remember that neat little thumbnail trick he uses in the first (second) video.

Thumbnail trick?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I pulled a near pristine ARod SP rookie that I somehow managed to eventually put a pretty decent crease in over the years.

Other than that, I guess a Ernie Banks game used bat #/50 from a random pack of Topps last year.

purkey fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 2, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My best pull is probably a Jason Heyward Auto/Relic #'d to 50 out of Topps Series 2 last year. I haven't been lucky enough to pull much.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I forgot, I also have that 1996 SI for Kids Tiger Woods card that was worth multiple hundreds at some point. It's in pretty awesome condition still, I can't tell from ebay if it would be worth it to have it graded or not. It would probably only be an 8 or 8.5 I bet...

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

OctoberBlues posted:

I forgot, I also have that 1996 SI for Kids Tiger Woods card that was worth multiple hundreds at some point. It's in pretty awesome condition still, I can't tell from ebay if it would be worth it to have it graded or not. It would probably only be an 8 or 8.5 I bet...

Yes, get that graded.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If I did how much is it and who should I use? I think the excitement I felt when I dug through my old stack of SI for Kids cards and found it however many years ago was worth a few hundred alone. :)

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'd ask someone like AsinHowe instead of me.

Edit: A few of the guys in the hockey card thread seem to know their stuff.

purkey fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I would recommend PSA, they are more of the industry standard now. Before you send it in though, carefully look it over. Magnifying glass, looking at the surfaces with the light reflecting off of it, all that. Even the slightest crease can make a big difference.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Not sure if this is the right place, but hopefully people can point me in the right direction.

Came across a cool scrap book of sports articles from 1936-38 in a second hand store, and three of these cards were included. All the newspaper clippings seem to be about the pacific coast teams? I know next to nothing about baseball. I tried searching online, but have come up with nothing definite.

They are 1 3/4" x 2 3/4" in size.

another loser fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 9, 2012

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

theacox posted:

For all the Tribute breaks I've been a part of in the last month, I was always unhappy with the results, especially because I almost always only have the Brewers or the NL Central.

I finally hit my first 1/1, and it's an auto printing plate (go to 1:30).

I just hope this isn't a joke, considering the date.

How does a Tribute break work? You aren't really guaranteed to pull any cards from the team you selected, from what I understand (though I know very little about the high-end sets). Do people sometimes pay money and get no cards?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DrGonzo90 posted:

How does a Tribute break work? You aren't really guaranteed to pull any cards from the team you selected, from what I understand (though I know very little about the high-end sets). Do people sometimes pay money and get no cards?

Well, technically *maybe*. It all depends on who is doing the break and the way they set it up. I'm not sure of the exact rules that ebay has for this, but I know that the auction must be for something, not just a lottery chance.

I've seen this run a couple ways. Most common is that they say that you will absolutely receive a card from the team/division in the auction (normally a common/base card) plus any cards pulled from that team/division that come out of the break. Others promise you a link to the break or copy of the break in your choice of format (I have never received a copy of anything on these auctions,other than a link and the corresponding cards broken. This is probably working on the fuzzy edge of ebay rules).

The break itself can be for a hobby box or, depending on how expensive a product is, a single pack. Obviously, you have better chances of hitting with a box than a pack, but the price can go way up. A Tribute box right now goes for $300 or more on ebay, a pack for $50+ roughly.

I started bidding on some break auctions, but realized that I have the disposable income to front the money and do the breaks myself, only keeping what I want and auctioning the rest. With that being said, live breaks are becoming more common and seem to be the best way to prevent fraud. All my breaks are live on ustream.

Tribute is still showing some good movement on breaks from what I can tell. I'm pretty happy about this, as I think it is an awesome product. Museum just came out though, so there is competition.

I'm not gonna hawk my wares here, as it would probably get me probation for not being in SA-Mart (among other things). If you have any further questions for me specifically about product, contact me at theacox at yahoo. Otherwise, if you have more general box break questions, ask in this thread. I'm no expert, but I like to think that we're all here to help.

e: Thought maybe I should note that I am not a dealer or shop owner, just a nerd who loves baseball.

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2012

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

another loser posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but hopefully people can point me in the right direction.

Came across a cool scrap book of sports articles from 1936-38 in a second hand store, and three of these cards were included. All the newspaper clippings seem to be about the pacific coast teams? I know next to nothing about baseball. I tried searching online, but have come up with nothing definite.

They are 1 3/4" x 2 3/4" in size.

I assume you found this, but here's the only thing I found that clearly matches your pictures.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/athletics-10-baseball-tobacco-cards-year-unkown

Not a lot of help though - no idea what the guy got for them on ebay without registering.

Not so sure the Quebec Athletics mentioned there are the right team either. Definately not Pacific coast, of course, and there's no mention of either Frank Hall or E. Lewis on their rosters at baseball-reference.

This article from Spokane in 1932 mentions a left fielder named Frank Hall playing for a team from Lewiston Idaho. Right coast, but I can't say for sure it's the same guy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19320905&id=TNFXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4vQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7197,838862

Does mention that he had previously played for the House of David barnstorming teams.
(These bad asses.)

Found what would appear to be his obituary here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19670130&id=cqxWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vOgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1299,5231449
But that mentions him playing on the Cardinals in the early 30's, yet baseball-reference has no listing for him. Branch Rickey did develop a large minor league farm system for the Cardinals in the late 20's - perhaps he was with one of their teams.

Sorry - not a lot of help here. The lack of any listings at baseball-reference make me assume they're from a low level independent minor league. There were near countless teams and leagues in existence back then in comparison to now. A cool find, but likely not worth too much due to the obscurity of the players. Note - I could be dead rear end wrong.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Thumbnail trick?

Little ways back, but yeah you had a pretty slick way of opening that first pack by using your thumbail almost like a letter opener. Dumb thing to notice, but pack opening irritates me as it is, so any trick to make it more efficient is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I assume you found this, but here's the only thing I found that clearly matches your pictures.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/athletics-10-baseball-tobacco-cards-year-unkown

Not a lot of help though - no idea what the guy got for them on ebay without registering.

Not so sure the Quebec Athletics mentioned there are the right team either. Definately not Pacific coast, of course, and there's no mention of either Frank Hall or E. Lewis on their rosters at baseball-reference.

This article from Spokane in 1932 mentions a left fielder named Frank Hall playing for a team from Lewiston Idaho. Right coast, but I can't say for sure it's the same guy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19320905&id=TNFXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4vQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7197,838862

Does mention that he had previously played for the House of David barnstorming teams.
(These bad asses.)

Found what would appear to be his obituary here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19670130&id=cqxWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vOgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1299,5231449
But that mentions him playing on the Cardinals in the early 30's, yet baseball-reference has no listing for him. Branch Rickey did develop a large minor league farm system for the Cardinals in the late 20's - perhaps he was with one of their teams.

Sorry - not a lot of help here. The lack of any listings at baseball-reference make me assume they're from a low level independent minor league. There were near countless teams and leagues in existence back then in comparison to now. A cool find, but likely not worth too much due to the obscurity of the players. Note - I could be dead rear end wrong.

This is awesome, I'll dig deeper and see what else I can find. Maybe some of the newspaper clippings will shed more light on them.

Thanks

• Locked thread