Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

General_Failure posted:

Good work on that. I was going to say something to the effect of a dead bearing. Was it internal to the starter or the one in the bellhousing? If the bellhousing one gets worn out / is missing it pretty much causes the starter to self destruct.

It was the one in the bellhousing. The gear on the starter appears to have some light damage, but the car starts perfectly now. It is pretty easy to get to the starter, so if I need to swap them out occasionally, no big deal.

Edit: New page, so here is a pic of the floor. No lexan, since they will see much more wear and tear than the passenger. It wouldn't fit in one piece, so I cut it in half in an interesting fashion. I need to make a special panel for the pedals, maybe tomorrow. Goddamn that clutch pedal looks gross.

Blood Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Access panels for the battery and fuse box.

Fusebox with hardly any wires.

Battery with melted handle.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Put a Mexican quilt over that seat man. Or a potato sack.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

Bomber jacket. :c00l:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

I have one for it but I don't want it sitting outside getting rained on. It's from Stucky's, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Crushed purple or burgundy velvet.

Something WWII-ish:

Yes, it's from a B-17, but goddamn do German WWII seats look terrible to sit in

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
That is basically my seat with a vinyl cushion on it. My kind of budget.

I love the cloth on the sides under the window. I wonder where I could find something similar.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godholio posted:

It looks like someone's first photoshop attempt. What is going on in the middle left here?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^Throttle controls. It's an airplane. :ssh:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Bucephalus posted:

^Throttle controls. It's an airplane. :ssh:

I think he is talking about the blocky pixels and artifacts in the area beneath the wheel.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah I knew that

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Blood Magnet posted:

That is basically my seat with a vinyl cushion on it. My kind of budget.

I love the cloth on the sides under the window. I wonder where I could find something similar.

How much you need determines where you should be looking. If you work out the area you'll be covering I might have an idea.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

You could use padded quilting like the stuff movers use and line elevators with when they move furniture.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

simplefish posted:

How much you need determines where you should be looking. If you work out the area you'll be covering I might have an idea.

I need two pieces, roughly 26" x 36" for the door panels.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy gently caress, I just realized the seat belts in that B-17 photo are the same belts we were using in AWACS until 2010.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=518

If you can find somewhere similar to this near where you live, you need about 11700 square centimetres. At 140cm wide, you need about 84cm long, and as the minimum you can get is 1 metre then you'd be spending roughly £5 for both doors.

Obviously you need to find somewhere in the US. If you have markets (like... with stalls and people standing behind them) over there, you can pick up deals like this.
Or find somewhere online that does cheap fabric. I just searched for "quilted fabric" and this was pretty much the first result.
Alternatively, I haven't been in many fabric shops, so they might have it too and you'd save on postage.

Shouldn't be too expensive. You might be able to line the roof too at that price, but that mightn't be the look you're going for.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

simplefish posted:

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=518

If you can find somewhere similar to this near where you live, you need about 11700 square centimetres. At 140cm wide, you need about 84cm long, and as the minimum you can get is 1 metre then you'd be spending roughly £5 for both doors.

Obviously you need to find somewhere in the US. If you have markets (like... with stalls and people standing behind them) over there, you can pick up deals like this.
Or find somewhere online that does cheap fabric. I just searched for "quilted fabric" and this was pretty much the first result.
Alternatively, I haven't been in many fabric shops, so they might have it too and you'd save on postage.

Shouldn't be too expensive. You might be able to line the roof too at that price, but that mightn't be the look you're going for.

I found some ironing board fabric at a fabric store in town that looks pretty similar.
http://www.joann.com/quilted-ironing-board-cover-fabric/xprd986475/
Maybe I can have my wife dye it green for me.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The difference will be the finish. If you want that slightly-shiny look like in the aircraft it has to be Polyester, which the ironing fabric won't be.

If you're not fussed, it does look very similar and might be the best option.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
So I cut up my exhaust today. I never really liked it to begin with. Here is what I'm working with.

The plan is to do something in between a tepee and a stinger. I'm going to have it stay four separate pipes instead of collecting into one. It will exit diagonally up at crotch level.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can you find or manufacture a housing like this?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Split three of them in half:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think the fabric inside dressing gowns looks sort of like the stuff you are after.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Can you find or manufacture a housing like this?

Yes! I'm going to make that.

E: It can probably double as a muffler if I plan ahead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a shame you can't mount it along the side on a stub wing, like a helicopter gunship missile pod.

...or CAN YOU? Build a wing on the passenger side, mount the pod below it, connect the exhaust through stainless steel flex hoses, maybe paint them black to look like a missile command bus.

:getin:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icS9yxvI3T4

Your plate is seriously "NO4 OWL"? Why are you opposed to owls, yo?

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I am the Number 4 Owl. I love owls.

I've seen that exhaust before. Pretty cool. I'm pretty sold on the rocket launcher.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
So is anyone else going to the Spring Turkey Run in Daytona next week?

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
New Exhaust Time!

I still need to fishing welding, make the sides of the rocket launcher and grind the welds smooth. Not too bad for 2-1/2 hours.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Blood Magnet posted:

New Exhaust Time!

I still need to fishing welding, make the sides of the rocket launcher and grind the welds smooth. Not too bad for 2-1/2 hours.

Looks bitchin'

If you want to make it a bit quieter you could drill a bunch of small holes in it and pack it with steelewool before you put the sides on.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

Looks bitchin'

If you want to make it a bit quieter you could drill a bunch of small holes in it and pack it with steelewool before you put the sides on.

Good idea. I think I'll try it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
If only you could find some way to mount it on a turbine type device to make the entire unit spin when exhaust gases flow through it.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

BoostCreep posted:

If only you could find some way to mount it on a turbine type device to make the entire unit spin when exhaust gases flow through it.

http://youtu.be/Z40YBU4GEXs

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSe2qbkCxA

This is more my style. I do have an extra ignition coil...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I don't imagine you'll get in trouble in the US but a kid got arrested over here for making his moped exhaust shoot flame. Possession of a deadly weapon or something like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What does that involve besides extra spark plugs in the exhaust? Do you need a separate fuel injector, or is it just some kind of enriching device, or are there enough unburned HCs in the exhaust that it just works with an ignition source? Do you cut the ignition to a few cylinders or something?

[e] I think a military flamethrower is classified as a "destructive device" so maybe that's what the kid was charged with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2012

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I think it is just a switch to turn the real ignition coil off and a second ignition coil on and spark plugs mounted in the ends of the exhaust pipes. The unused gas gets ignited at the end of the exhaust pipes. I would need to make some kind a stealthy set up so you don't see spark plug wires and poo poo running everywhere.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Another cool old school trick is to tap a grease fitting into the pipe and make a smoke screen. I plan on doing this since the plug wires are not feasible to make a flame thrower for the truck.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I like it. I may try to do something interesting on the end and leave the sheet metal off.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Blood Magnet posted:

I don't think I like it. I may try to do something interesting on the end and leave the sheet metal off.

I think it might just need a little more definition, like a crosshair and a pistol grip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
pre:
      oo
      oo
Number Four Owl

• Locked thread