Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, you pump STR to 16 and buy the Bastard Sword from Andre! :eng101:

Bastard Sword rules. Running a +15 on my quality build. At 40Str/40Dex it's still tearing through everything in NG++. Range isn't as good as the Claymore but it's got that awesome overhead smash like the Zwei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Sanzuo posted:

Is there any reason why Solaire's sign wouldn't be appearing where it should? Besides not being in human form obviously.

Sometimes it doesn't appear right away. I'm not sure what specifically causes it, whether it's not chatting with him at every opportunity or not summoning him for every battle or if it's just a bug. It should eventually appear, though. Try warping back to your bonfire or quitting the game.

There's also a point in the story where Solaire will become permanently unavailable if you don't do specific things, which will cause his summon signs to not appear.

I had a similar problem with Laurtec's summon sign in the Depths. I summoned Solaire before I summoned him and his sign disappeared and never reappeared. The jerk. :mad:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fyuz posted:

Yea I am just getting around to using this too, about to level it to +5, it seemingly staggers everything.

Anyway on my first playthrough Nito was a piece of cake; I couldn't understand why people had a problem with him. But oh God, he is wrecking my poo poo on NG+. There just seems to be loving skeletons everywhere! One time I dropped down and got nailed by an orange sword twice and immediately died, another I had 3 skeletons throw themselves at me and finish me off before I even knew what the hell was happening.

And that drop damage you take just entering the arena is bullshit.

I've found that the trick to nito is to:
Pre: 1. Have a fire weapon. He really hates fire. Really.
2. Have blooming purple moss or some solid poison resistance. His AoE is super easy to avoid but we all make mistakes and sometimes you get cornered.

Fight:
1. Immediately drink a potion/use heal spell.
2. Don't stray away from where you are. Stay there. The skeletons are just about everywhere else.
3. Listen for screaming and just dodge like crazy when it gets loud. This will only dodge it like 75% of the time but it shouldn't be a lethal attack.
4. Once he's in attack range the guy is cake all by his lonesome. His death wave attack might force you to get far and attract skeletons but they will constantly be toppled by his attacks so ignore them.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Ok so I'm a pyro. I'm going slow and leveling STR so I can use the drake sword when I get it. Bought the heater shield from the merchant in the U Burg and it made a HUGE difference. Should I buy his chainmail armors too? This game is confusing, I can't tell what is a big waste of money and what is a game changer, like this shield.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've found that the trick to nito is to:
Pre: 1. Have a fire weapon. He really hates fire. Really.
2. Have blooming purple moss or some solid poison resistance. His AoE is super easy to avoid but we all make mistakes and sometimes you get cornered.

Fight:
1. Immediately drink a potion/use heal spell.
2. Don't stray away from where you are. Stay there. The skeletons are just about everywhere else.
3. Listen for screaming and just dodge like crazy when it gets loud. This will only dodge it like 75% of the time but it shouldn't be a lethal attack.
4. Once he's in attack range the guy is cake all by his lonesome. His death wave attack might force you to get far and attract skeletons but they will constantly be toppled by his attacks so ignore them.

The first time I played him not once did I have to deal with the orange sword thing, so when I heard the scream I assumed it would be the death wave thing but welp, it wasn't.

Backing off from this attack caused me to aggro the Giant Skeletons at the back which was annoying. Great Combustion only seemed to do about 300 damage, but point taken about the fire. Guess I am gonna have to level up Queelag's Furysword...

gently caress's sake it needs Demon Titanite to upgrade. I don't think I even gone and got any fire embers in this playthrough either!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fyuz posted:

And that drop damage you take just entering the arena is bullshit.

Fall control! Best sorcery in the game! (Not really, it just turns your falls into a binary killed you/didn't kill you thing instead of making you take damage.)

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo. I was human but now I am suddenly undead and there are black phantom versions of normal enemies everywhere, what is going on??

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GrahamBLY posted:

Ok so I'm a pyro. I'm going slow and leveling STR so I can use the drake sword when I get it. Bought the heater shield from the merchant in the U Burg and it made a HUGE difference. Should I buy his chainmail armors too? This game is confusing, I can't tell what is a big waste of money and what is a game changer, like this shield.

The chainmail isn't anything special really, and you'll find better stuff as you progress (including even better shields) mostly I rely on my shield and dodging rather than any physical defense on the armor. I tend look at the various status/elemental resistances of armor more than anything else (I have a ring for poise), I'll change it up for specific bosses or monsters if I need to though.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Sanzuo posted:

Holy poo poo. I was human but now I am suddenly undead and there are black phantom versions of normal enemies everywhere, what is going on??

You got Gravelorded. It can happen while human or hollowed. If you can find a black summon sign on the ground somewhere you can invade whoever did it and fight them. If you win the black phantoms go away. Two other people are Gravelorded at the same time as you so they can beat him for as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GrahamBLY posted:

The thing about this game is there's very little that you could consider an out and out waste. During your first playthrough, you're going to make some pretty terrible decisions about gear, but that's expected: you have no idea what gear is good yet.

Early game Dark Souls is all about finding a weapon with a moveset you like, getting STR/DEX to a point that you can use it, then leveling up VIT and END. When you're able, upgrade the weapon that you like. I wouldn't worry about upgrading armor until NG+, before that you should be worrying about your weapon and shield.

The game sort of tells the player this by giving you access to a variety of weapons right at the start, but it's a subtle thing.

By the time you get to the end of the game you'll have access to almost every weapon in the game, so you can start doing the min/max thing if you want. Also, you can rake in souls by assisting on a few bosses. Once you get into the swing of things, joining a Covenant like Darkmoon or Forest Hunters will summon you to PVP sessions and you'll have more souls than you know what to do with.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

MysteryNad posted:

You got Gravelorded. It can happen while human or hollowed. If you can find a black summon sign on the ground somewhere you can invade whoever did it and fight them. If you win the black phantoms go away. Two other people are Gravelorded at the same time as you so they can beat him for as well.

Is the effect limited to a certain area? Or could the black sign be anywhere in the world? If so then do I have to wait until I just happen to find it?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Sanzuo posted:

Is the effect limited to a certain area? Or could the black sign be anywhere in the world? If so then do I have to wait until I just happen to find it?

Not sure but I think it's limited to one area as long as the Gravelord is still actively cursing your world, so he should be in the area with the phantom enemies (possibly hiding in an out of the way area). One thing to watch out for is disconnecting from the net while black phantoms are around. There's a glitch that sometimes causes them to permanently stay in your game and move to every area you go to until you sign back in and it finds the Gravelord died or left.

I've noticed that the black summon sign tends to move around and follow where the Gravelord is in his world so that makes it a little easier to spot if he's actively fighting someone. Also, be wary of dying while black phantoms are in the area. You are supposed to lose half of the souls you had when getting back to your bloodstain (the lost half goes to the Gravelord) but the Covenant is kind of broken right now so it may not happen.

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, you'll know the Gravelord either died or stopped cursing your world if a message pops up that says "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant."

MysteryNad fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 25, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MysteryNad posted:

One thing to watch out for is disconnecting from the net while black phantoms are around. There's a glitch that sometimes causes them to permanently stay in your game and move to every area you go to until you sign back in and it finds the Gravelord died or left.

This is hilarious. The only time I ever get those messages is when I'm invading or waiting to assist, and they're always gone when I get back. I even went hunting for them, but looked around the entire forest without seeing one.

MysteryNad posted:

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, you'll know the Gravelord either died or stopped cursing your world if a message pops up that says "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant."

Wait, I thought this message meant that you were infected or whatever. I guess I've just never seen any of the monsters ever.

EC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 25, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I never, ever see black phantom enemies or any of that. They waited too long to fix the gravelords.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

EC posted:

This is hilarious. The only time I ever get those messages is when I'm invading or waiting to assist, and they're always gone when I get back. I even went hunting for them, but looked around the entire forest without seeing one.

Yeah, the Covenant is pretty broken. It used to take hours to actually curse somebody. I've been cursed a dozen times according to those messages and never seen black phantoms, like ever.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm starting over as a Pyro too, since I kinda hosed up my Wanderer with stupid stat placement and wasting 2 firekeeper souls by accident and I'm really pissed cause I just lost like 13 humanity and 14k souls on the cabra demon.

I kinda don't want to get the drake sword this time around. Is the winged spear a good early game weapon? Not sure if I want to go str or dex. Dex weapons seem like they have better combos, but being able to power through shield defenses with a claymore is pretty boss. Also, is there some trick to dodging that I'm not getting? It seems like I dodge attacks, but they hit me anyway. Also, mobs that do loving 180s to follow my roll and home in on me with their attacks really piss me off.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Meatsicle posted:

So I'm starting over as a Pyro too, since I kinda hosed up my Wanderer with stupid stat placement and wasting 2 firekeeper souls by accident and I'm really pissed cause I just lost like 13 humanity and 14k souls on the cabra demon.

I kinda don't want to get the drake sword this time around. Is the winged spear a good early game weapon? Not sure if I want to go str or dex. Dex weapons seem like they have better combos, but being able to power through shield defenses with a claymore is pretty boss. Also, is there some trick to dodging that I'm not getting? It seems like I dodge attacks, but they hit me anyway. Also, mobs that do loving 180s to follow my roll and home in on me with their attacks really piss me off.

Pretty much any spear is great since you can attack while blocking. Winged Spear would be best for early on because of the higher range than the standard Spear. It won't be doing very much damage so upgrading it once you get to the blacksmith would probably be a priority. The blacksmith also sells the even longer Pike, but it has a pretty high strength requirement, so may not be the best choice if you want to focus on dex weapons.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sen's Fortress is hands down the motherfucking best place to invade. The traps, the narrow bridges, the chokepoints, the flanking. It's an rear end in a top hat's paradise.

I just invested into 50 dragonslayer arrows on my dragonslayerbow +5.

I await thee at the bridges. :getin:

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
So I'm thinking about picking this up since seeing a lot of the cool videos and let's plays of the game on YouTube. Has the community progressed so far that I would be out of my league joining now? I've also got a good gaming PC so I could wait til the PC version comes out if anyone has heard more evidence indicating a PC release. I've got Demon Souls but just sorta lost interest due to confusion about how to progress and being distracted by other games.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Meatsicle posted:

I'm at about the same point as you, and while I can't speak for the Winged Spear, the Halberd is pretty neat. Doesn't do all that much less damage than the Drake Sword, has good range, and its strong attack can catch multiple foes in its sweep. Downsides are its slow speed and the long time that you're wide open if you miss a blow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Honestly, co-op doesn't require any sort of specific skill set, and PVP can be a lot of fun if you stay out of PVP-centric areas. Just get in and have fun.

You can certainly wait for the (likely inevitable) PC release, but the console versions are perfectly acceptable as well.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

MysteryNad posted:

Pretty much any spear is great since you can attack while blocking. Winged Spear would be best for early on because of the higher range than the standard Spear. It won't be doing very much damage so upgrading it once you get to the blacksmith would probably be a priority. The blacksmith also sells the even longer Pike, but it has a pretty high strength requirement, so may not be the best choice if you want to focus on dex weapons.
Thanks for the tips.

Is there any reason to be human other than the online stuff? You get humanity bonuses whether you're hollowed or not, right?

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm at about the same point as you, and while I can't speak for the Winged Spear, the Halberd is pretty neat. Doesn't do all that much less damage than the Drake Sword, has good range, and its strong attack can catch multiple foes in its sweep. Downsides are its slow speed and the long time that you're wide open if you miss a blow.
Yeah I was playing around with the gargoyle halberd with my last guy. It's pretty awesome in groups, unless you're in an even remotely tight area. Clang clang clang.

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 25, 2012

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked up a Balder Side Sword and upgraded it to +4. Holy poo poo I love this moveset and it has awesome reach + sick dex scaling. Decided to go dex+fth.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
So I bought the chainmail and shot off the dragon tail and I'm pretty bad rear end now. Too cheesy? gently caress that, you know how many times I've died to those regular spear guys? No more, now they get one shotted, how's that feel you assholes!

Also, I'm in a real spot now because resting at my bonfire doesn't seem to reset the giant metal pig or the big silver knight, both of which are just chilling as close to the bonfire as they can fit, which in the knight's case means right at the top of the ladder. Tips on how to kill in tight quarters? The one shot drake sword doesn't seem to have a "stab".

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Roll until you can back stab or learn how to parry. The knights specifically are pretty vulnerable to parry+riposte.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I fought the bell gargoyle earlier. So I almost kill one of the two. His health bar changed color and I figured oh, he'll just stay alive at zero health until I kill the second one. I lose because I change to the second gargoyle. Round two, I kill the first one. :downs: I feel I'm making this game harder on myself than it needs to be...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

wait did I just beat the game? I don't get it. Why did I fight this man again? Is being on fire a good ending or a bad ending? I miss the monumental and lady who narrated what the heck was going on

SHITTTTTT I forgot to buy that fancy mask after I killed gwyndolyn

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 25, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

wait did I just beat the game? I don't get it. Why did I fight this man again? Is being on fire a good ending or a bad ending? I miss the monumental and lady who narrated what the heck was going on

That's technically the good ending since that's how it's acknowledged by the trophy/achievement. It's arguably the bad ending though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

since frampt got pissed I plugged in the lords vessel without him I never met this other snake? there's another one? I never got any plot. I just killed four kings and gwynn and nobody told me poo poo.

From mass effect 3's poo poo ending to this complete anticlimax. I'm having a bad week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How did you plug it in without him if you never talked to Kaathe? Did you just jump down there?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Krinkle posted:

SHITTTTTT I forgot to buy that fancy mask after I killed gwyndolyn

Congratulations! You got the Age of Fire ending! You have relinked the Bonfires and taken Gwyn's place as guardian of the Kiln.

WHY YOU DID THIS poo poo: Humans have started to turn undead en mass and the God's power has started to fail; this is due to the fact that the Kiln in Lordan has died out. The plot of the game is essentially going through all of the steps needed to fix that (or not, if you take the other ending).

THINGS WE KNOW FOR SURE: The Gods (Gwyn's extended family) have been re-empowered, and the creatures of Dark (The Darkwraiths and Co (Kill the Four Kings before you get the Lord Vessel if you don't know what the gently caress)) have been pushed back.

THINGS THAT MIGHT BE TRUE: The Darksign is probably repressed in humans for now; which means there will be less undead. Fire Keepers are no longer needed and will be able to die naturally because the Bonfires are linked together and you are essentially serving as Keeper to them all (this information is from Anastasia, but she says Frampt told her and he is a kind of a lier so who knows if it's true!)

WHY IT MIGHT BE BAD: The Bonfires are being powered off of your soul, and even though you're baller as poo poo it can't last forever. They will eventually burn out again, and Darksign/Undead will start to appear. Fire Keepers will be forced to retake their vigil, and the Gods will begin to feed the remaining bonfires Humanity in order to stay alive. Nothing has truly changed and you have essentially propagated a cycle in which thousands of humans have their Humanity ripped from them and sacrificed to flames.

WHY IT MIGHT BE GOOD: You know the Darkwraiths? Those assholes? They are the Other Option, so while continuing the cycle of suffering and consumption seems bad, it might be better than 'everybody dies' (Note: Whether the Darkwraiths actually want to eat every living thing is kind of up in the air.)

I think one of the big weaknesses of Dark Souls is that while its plot is a lot more in-depth and intricate than Demon's Souls it's also a hell of a lot easier to completely miss. Accidently doing the wrong thing, I assume attacking Frampt in your case, can leave the player with basically no idea what the plot is building up to or what they are doing above a 'go place, kill boss' level.

I don't think the comparison to the Mass Effect 3 ending is apt. Once you understand the story the plot essentially makes sense with only having a few iffy parts; the problem is that the story is obscured from the player a bit too much. In Mass Effect 3 the game painstakingly builds up to a certain ending and then flips the table on the player in the last 10 minutes, while in Dark Souls the plot is so hidden that even though it is thematically appropriate the ending can still seem arbitrary to the player.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 25, 2012

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

sorry, I wasn't saying it was the same as mass effect's ending. Mass effect's ending was easy to follow it was just dogshit. I was saying I went from one kind of disappointment to another in a week. For dark souls, I didn't feel like I even got an ending? I caught on fire but I didn't seem to mind?

When I showed up with the lord vessel frampt was asleep. I tried to kick him awake but missed and fell down to the altar. I survived the fall somehow so I put the lordvessel on the altar, like I did the last time I played before I got bogged down in duke's archives (holy poo poo you can plow through that place in like five minutes what the hell was my problem?), but when I warped to firelink frampt said "you fucker, you aren't poo poo. i'm going to sleep until a real loving chosen one shows up" and that was that. I didn't get any plot for the rest of the game.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

Slow? 2-hand the drat thing and it's very fast and will break guard on almost everything in the beginning of the game. If you like it, for your main weapon for end-game, see if you can get a hold on the gargoyle halberd, which does a bit more damage and is an excellent candidate for upgrading along an elemental path.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Lost Izalith is full of assholes, the Titanite Demon who sits infront of the shortcut is one and those huge dragon things in the lava are worse, I lost poor Siegmeyer to those Chaos Eaters, I did go after him but died due to being swarmed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Judge Tesla posted:

Lost Izalith is full of assholes, the Titanite Demon who sits infront of the shortcut is one and those huge dragon things in the lava are worse, I lost poor Siegmeyer to those Chaos Eaters, I did go after him but died due to being swarmed.

Don't worry, 90% of the time Sieg dies anyway, so it's not like you could have saved him. You would have gotten a slab out of it, though!

Also, you can run right past the dinobutts in the lava, they hardly ever aggro and if they do you can just run away.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
The Secret to save Sieg is to kill 2 of the demons, then go back up and ask him for help. You both kill the last one, and if you go to Ashlake you can finish the questline.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thesoldier posted:

The Secret to save Sieg is to kill 2 of the demons, then go back up and ask him for help. You both kill the last one, and if you go to Ashlake you can finish the questline.

I have done this three times and he still winds up dead in Ash Lake every time. I have to do it again on this playthrough so hopefully I'll figure out the 'right' way to do it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EC posted:

I have done this three times and he still winds up dead in Ash Lake every time. I have to do it again on this playthrough so hopefully I'll figure out the 'right' way to do it.

Well first of all I think there's 4? Anyway, kill all of them but one and get the last one really close to death. That way when he jumps down you just help him kill it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In my sorceror run Sieg actually bugged out, and didn't jump down. So I just sniped them all instead. In my second run we jumped down together and just ripped through them - he died, I think because I might've hit him a couple times with my matching Zweihander, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

EC posted:

Dead in Ash Lake is the best possible ending for him :( if you get the slab, you've done it right.

• Locked thread