Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wasn't the big news the site make-over and official venture into indie gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
They started their new teaser videos :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCtynCk-S0

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nice valve on the back of the knight.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well that's throwing down the gauntlet.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Blodskur posted:

Nice valve on the back of the knight.

I noticed that, but didn't make the connection. Pretty cute.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I think they did something like that with one of the screenshots on the Blood 2 page http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/blood_2_the_chosen_expansion (The red one on the lower left)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neat sale, picking up Darklands.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Whenever it goes on sale I think about picking up Total Annihilation, but I got really overwhelmed by Supreme Commander and could't play it, and I worry that TA is the same. Does it have a huge learning curve?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

doctorfrog posted:

Neat sale, picking up Darklands.

This sale does own, time to pick up some tactical isometric top down cowboy shooting!

Am I fooling myself thinking this game is Fallout Tactics with cowboys?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

AxeManiac posted:

This sale does own, time to pick up some tactical isometric top down cowboy shooting!

You're thinking of Desperadoes, I imagine. And yeah, it's nothing like Fallout Tactics, it's literally Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with cowboys.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Its more Commandos with cowboys. Which also means that levels are more like puzzles than any kind of battlefield in which you have to use strategy. And you will reload a billion times.

Still fun though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh, commandos is pretty cool, hope I get to drink whiskey and shoot horses.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Now that my love affair with the Mass Effect series is over, I want more space exploration. The retro PC RPG thread has me looking at Starflight 1+2 on GOG, but my question is, would Star Control 1+2/3 be worth it (or better options)? It looks like they are pretty clearly spiritual successors to Starflight.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Now that my love affair with the Mass Effect series is over, I want more space exploration. The retro PC RPG thread has me looking at Starflight 1+2 on GOG, but my question is, would Star Control 1+2/3 be worth it (or better options)? It looks like they are pretty clearly spiritual successors to Starflight.

Star Control 2, which is very good, is freely available in the form of The Ur-Quan Masters, an open-source project that combines the best features of the PC and 3DO versions of the game, including the latter's joyfully amateur voice acting. Star Control 1 is forgettable. Star Control 3 wasn't made by Toys for Bob and is pretty janky and has an awful plot full of inconsistencies and plotholes and terrible puppets. So there really isn't any reason to pay for any of the Star Control series.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Nobody seems to ever read the freeware games thread, which is sad

Thanks for pointing me that thread! I'm getting C&C Tiberian Sun right now! :haw: (Also requesting someone to upload the 1.201 patch for WGR2 Siege Breaker because the link from moddb is broken). My post here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This sale seems quite nice. Now I have to decide if I have the patience for some old 4x games like Master of Magic and MoO1/2.

Darklands also looks kinda cool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This sale seems quite nice. Now I have to decide if I have the patience for some old 4x games like Master of Magic and MoO1/2.

Darklands also looks kinda cool.
MOO2 has aged really well and is still super-playable. I can't get over how primitive MOM's graphics are, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How complicated is it though, compared to, say, GalCiv II? I tried that several years ago and it was just too much to keep track of and micromanage. I prefer more lightweight 4X games like Sword of the Stars.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How complicated is it though, compared to, say, GalCiv II? I tried that several years ago and it was just too much to keep track of and micromanage. I prefer more lightweight 4X games like Sword of the Stars.

You might like MOO1, actually. MOO2 is a bit more micromanage-y than the original game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Agrias120 posted:

Star control 1 isn't like starflight really (it's entirely combat focused), the best version of star control 2 is free and open source, and star control 3 blows. So don't buy any of them.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Less than GalCiv. Micromanaging is closer to the Civilization level than GalCiv (you had to place things in regions on planets in that one, right?).

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

gradenko_2000 posted:

MOO2 has aged really well and is still super-playable. I can't get over how primitive MOM's graphics are, though.
I don't know about the GOG version, but the original's DOS-version of MOO2 even has working multiplayer through Dosbox. I still play it with friends occasionally, and it's insane how well the game has aged.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
So when they start selling newer games, what's the acronym going to stand for? Gaggles of Games?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

El Generico posted:

So when they start selling newer games, what's the acronym going to stand for? Gaggles of Games?

Globs of Games

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

El Generico posted:

G.O.od Games

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

El Generico posted:

Good, Our Games. Say it like Yoda.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Gee, Oodles of Games!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

MOO2 has aged really well and is still super-playable.
100% agreed. Which makes MOO3 all the more a bigger travesty. Enough time has gone by that I think a developer could just make a slightly enhanced version of MOO2 and we'd all buy it up.

I'm currently playing as Klackons, I guess continuing my MOO1 race, and holy crap they're fun to play when you're already familiar with the game. They're very powerful, but somewhat crippled with the "uncreative" trait, meaning you don't get to choose the research at each level.

First, this mitigates a human player from exploiting stacking bonuses for a long time. Second, it basically forces you to be an aggressive dick from early on to steal important techs either through invasion or spying. Or alternatively, you can try diplomacy. Either way, you can't really hole up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had problems getting MOO2 to run on Win 7 in Boot Camp? Dosbox just keeps dying on me without giving me any particularly useful information about why. I tried adjusting a bunch of the command line arguments for Dosbox, but no dice. Is there a resource for this that I'm not finding?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You'd prefer to use Boot Camp instead of DOSbox in OS X? I can't really help you, just wanted to make sure you were aware of that option.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Trig Discipline posted:

Has anyone else had problems getting MOO2 to run on Win 7 in Boot Camp? Dosbox just keeps dying on me without giving me any particularly useful information about why. I tried adjusting a bunch of the command line arguments for Dosbox, but no dice. Is there a resource for this that I'm not finding?

Try it in boxer instead, it's a dosbox wrapper for os x that handles all of the tricky stuff for you so you can just install and go. Almost always works in my experience.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Speaking of DOSbox, I just noticed a long interview with the GOG guys from January 2011 on their home page (http://www.dosbox.com) that I don't remember ever being posted here. It's too long to cut & paste, especially if I'm not correct about it not being posted before, but I thought this part was interesting and topical:

quote:

For the games that use these OS's (DOS, 3.1, 9x, XP) which are the hardest to make compatible? Do you have any plans for 16bit Windows games?

Pawel: Windows 95, early days – programmers tend to use old DOS-like technique, not quite compatible with Windows 95 standard. Therefore Windows 95 is the hardest. Windows 3.1 is a different story – as it’s mainly 16bit platform, we cannot use those games – since Windows XP/Vista/7 64bit editions cannot run them at all. We’re trying to get 32bit copies or rewrite the header to be compatible with 32bit systems, which is pretty difficult and time consuming. But luckily for us, Windows 3.1 (16bit) games usually come with a little brother - DOS based version of the game and then we can use it with DOSBox :)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

You'd prefer to use Boot Camp instead of DOSbox in OS X? I can't really help you, just wanted to make sure you were aware of that option.

I knew that there was a DOSbox for OSX, but I wasn't sure if I could run the GOG MOO2 in it. I've only had a Mac for a week or so now, so I'm fairly new to the VM stuff.

Thanks, and thanks to andrew smash, for the suggestions!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

teethgrinder posted:

100% agreed. Which makes MOO3 all the more a bigger travesty. Enough time has gone by that I think a developer could just make a slightly enhanced version of MOO2 and we'd all buy it up.

I'm currently playing as Klackons, I guess continuing my MOO1 race, and holy crap they're fun to play when you're already familiar with the game. They're very powerful, but somewhat crippled with the "uncreative" trait, meaning you don't get to choose the research at each level.

First, this mitigates a human player from exploiting stacking bonuses for a long time. Second, it basically forces you to be an aggressive dick from early on to steal important techs either through invasion or spying. Or alternatively, you can try diplomacy. Either way, you can't really hole up.

On the opposite side, the creative trait is grossly overpowered, even for eight points. Getting every single tech out there allows you to pick some pretty nasty negative traits, just to ignore and even surpass them in the late game. The AI will never catch up with a human player toting creative in the larger universes. I wouldn't pick it for the two smaller sized universes, unless, of course, you're playing the game with a roleplayed race in mind, and not just to win.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So how are the Blood games? I seem to remember hearing good things about the first one at least. Or looking for recommendations for anything currently on sale (aside from MOO, probably going to get that already).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

spoon0042 posted:

So how are the Blood games? I seem to remember hearing good things about the first one at least. Or looking for recommendations for anything currently on sale (aside from MOO, probably going to get that already).

Blood 1 is one of those classic 2.5d FPS games that have barely aged a day. It still has a small modding/mapping scene, too, and a full-length fan-made expansion came out last Halloween.

Blood 2 is a goddamn multiple trainwreck. Literally. They copy-pasted the same 'subway train crashes' level several times through the game and just changed the enemy placement between them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The final boss in Blood 2 is also the greatest bullet sponge ever created, if that Let's Play proved anything. The entire level is also eye-searing red.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

Blood 1 is excellent. It is extremely over the top and lethal - both to your and your enemies - and loads of fun. Its biggest problem is that there's no engine remake for it yet, since (unlike Duke3d, which it shares most of an engine with) the source code was never released, but there is one in progress, BloodXL.

As for other games on the list -

Total Annihilation was the best RTS of the 90s, and the spiritual predecessor to the more recent Supreme Commander (1, not 2) and AI War: Fleet Command.
TA: Kingdoms is not nearly as good as TA, but it does do two things not commonly seen in an RTS - four sides that all play totally differently, and one campaign that shows you all four sides of the conflict at once - and may be worth a look for that.
Independence War 1+2 are two fairly hardcore space combat sims, with full newtonian physics and a focus on commanding a small warship rather than a single-seater fighter. IW1 can be kind of a bitch to get running prettily, but is worth it. IW2 I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm told that it carries over the best parts of IW1 and takes a more sandboxy approach.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

THE BAR posted:

On the opposite side, the creative trait is grossly overpowered, even for eight points. Getting every single tech out there allows you to pick some pretty nasty negative traits, just to ignore and even surpass them in the late game. The AI will never catch up with a human player toting creative in the larger universes. I wouldn't pick it for the two smaller sized universes, unless, of course, you're playing the game with a roleplayed race in mind, and not just to win.
Well yeah. I was specifically talking about making the game a bit more challenging, without giving the AI massive bonuses to bludgeon you to death.

Anyway, as it turns out, the Klackons seem pretty damned overpowered! I guess I never played with them before. Uncreative, but with the +1 to both production and farming, they just rush right out the gate. I was able to colonise far faster than every other race on average.

Also somewhat unfortunately, I got two leaders with major diplomacy bonuses early on and the AI barely ever attacked me so I got a huge tech lead.

On the other hand, the Antarans just decimated me over and over for the longest time. My best beams were mass drivers. I could only hurt them with merculite missiles, but they weren't enough and I had them for maybe 70% of the game. I eventually learned to just move all but one of the population away and sell off my buildings and let the colonies get destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dr Snofeld posted:

Whenever it goes on sale I think about picking up Total Annihilation, but I got really overwhelmed by Supreme Commander and could't play it, and I worry that TA is the same. Does it have a huge learning curve?
If you were overwhelmed by Supreme Commander, you may have difficulties with Total Annihilation. TA is an old game that came out before Starcraft, so there are no zoom levels at all. You are back to scrolling the map around. It is much easier to navigate the map in SupCom. Don't forget that it has the same resource model as SupCom.

Also, SupCom only has 1 type of engineer unit. TA has a ton of different type of engineers across all 3 levels. You have your air construction engineers, your submarine engineers, your land engineers, vehicle engineers, etc. There are a lot more units to deal with.

Upgrading to the next tech level is also different. In SupCom, you upgraded your factories. In TA, you have to use a level 1 engineer to build a level 2 factory. To build a level 3 factory, you have to build a level 2 engineer of that factory's type, then use it to build the level 3 factory.

TA also features a much more diverse set of units than SupCom, and none of them really give you an indication as to how they are supposed to be used. It will be a lot of experimentation or Internet searching to figure out what the units can do.

It is still a great game, though, especially when played against friends. It is still one of my favorite RTS games of all time.