Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Buh, I guess the NDA hammer coming down means I can't ask about how weapons work, but oh well. Hopefully this turns out well, it sounds pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

whydirt posted:

You may not know that Tweet was behind the 3e version of Gamma World (aka Omega World) as published in Dungeon/Polyhedron. It brought us the first usage of reserve points, which were basically the first step toward healing surges and reducing the role of Clerics as walking first-aid stations.

Basically Jonathan Tweet owns and not just because we share an awesome first name.

His first name is whydirt?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

It's a shame to hear but I understand where they are coming from as a publisher/knowing how early alphas and betas can shape opinions right out of the gate these days. Here's hoping within the next month or two things are cleaned up to where they are confident in a late alpha playtest to include more of us and allow some positive feedback as press.

For now I guess I'll daydream about neat escalation mechanics and being super gamey with this, like solos being able to use the escalation die, or reset the players' while it doubles its own/converts the number on the escalation die into minions/battlefield effects.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Well, for what it's worth, what has been discussed is enough to sell me on the concept. Literally the only reason the game I'm about to start running is in Pathfinder and not 4E is because the limited experience we had with 4E had abysmally slow combat - not entirely the fault of the system, but people come away with first impressions and they tend to stick. With what you're describing in terms of the escalation die and other aspects, it seems like just the sort of pace I'm looking for to sell my group on.

Let us know when you can talk about it again!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Well this is a huge buzzkill...

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I am enjoying this playtest.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gone from pretty cool to complete BS in a few days. How do they expect to build any type of discussion or hype about their game?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

This is still the first iteration of the playtest rules and they're probably planning on letting people talk in the future, so it's really not a big deal.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Mikan posted:

This is still the first iteration of the playtest rules and they're probably planning on letting people talk in the future, so it's really not a big deal.

I, for one, am happy that you fancy beta test jerkoffs can't brag about your super special fancy game and make us 99%ers jealous.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Haha joke's on you I can still brag about being in the playtest.

Hey 13th Age playtesters let's go hang out in the secret playtesters-only club

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'd love to talk some more about the game's innovative 'ice-cream & hookers' resolution system, but this NDA has my hands tied.

Oh well, off to the secret club!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xand_Man posted:

I'd love to talk some more about the game's innovative 'ice-cream & hookers' resolution system, but this NDA has my hands tied.

Oh well, off to the secret club!
This raises an interesting point. They said not to talk about what is in the game, not to not talk about what isn't in the game!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mikan posted:

Hey 13th Age playtesters let's go hang out in the secret playtesters-only club

Don't forget the secret handshake. We wouldn't want any of these squares to sneak inside!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

This is now a no play testers sub forum. We'll allow one to remain but you must battle to the death for that privilege.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rantmo posted:

This is now a no play testers sub forum. We'll allow one to remain but you must bathe to the death for that privilege.

Fixed for how I read it, which I think is a much more entertaining mental image.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Just one little tidbit that has nothing to do with the game itself, but should torment the non-playtest-havers:

Clock Land: This weird island is probably from another world. It's full of clockwork creatures that build themselves into a semblance of civilization and then fall apart. Their magic doesn't seem to translate well off the island.

Modrons on a floating island, yo.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I really wish we could talk about the setting and how funny the writing is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's been harder to recruit a playtest group than I expected, but I finally have enough to go. I linked people to the blurb on the site, and unless you know exactly who those people are and why they're awesome, it reads like Another loving D20 OGL Fantasy (which everybody's been sick of for 4+ years).

Then the D20 people I know (mostly Pathfinder now) get turned-off by "indie game", and the indie gamers are too good for a D20 game. And now the NDA says not to tell people why they should care about this.

:suicide:

If you're trying to minimize interest in a game, calling it an old-school indie OGL title is a great start.

e: I am enjoying this playtest.

moths fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 24, 2012

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Hah, I got lucky with that. My group is all diehard 4e (because they are cool people :cool: and have objectively superior RPG opinions) so all I had to tell them was "hey that guy who made 4e good made another game and it has another guy who made some cool games too".
Then again, our favorite games are 4e and indie games.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tendales posted:

Clock Land: This weird island is probably from another world. It's full of clockwork creatures that build themselves into a semblance of civilization and then fall apart. Their magic doesn't seem to translate well off the island.

OMG, adventures on the Isle of Misfit Toys! SOLD.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mikan posted:

I am enjoying this playtest.

moths posted:

e: I am enjoying this playtest.

I am enjoying reading about people enjoying this playtest.

No, seriously, I am.

Edit:Yeah, this is what I am talking about.
vvvvvvvvvvv

Rexides fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 25, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Just finished a test combat, we ran the scene where you fight a bunch of goblins. It was goddamn amazing. The combat rules rule and replace fiddly fretting over squares with running about being awesome... and as a Monk I got bonuses to running back and forth across the battlefield causing trouble, instead of just scrounging for bonuses against whoever we happened to be focus firing on. And the escalation die is great, although under the tighter NDA I can't really say why, so just accept it encourages action.

I had a few concerns with wording on specific things (beta poo poo, really) and at one point I got a lucky crit that gave more than my HP cap with temps, that probably needs to be looked at.

Hamboning
May 2, 2010
If they're going by what's been done in 4th Ed, then temp hp goes over your max anyway. Unless I'm mis-reading your post.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hamboning posted:

If they're going by what's been done in 4th Ed, then temp hp goes over your max anyway. Unless I'm mis-reading your post.

It sounds like he doubled his max HP with temp HP. Which sounds like a bit of a design flaw, yeah.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I will be running this tomorrow and I hope I will end up enjoying this playtest! My initial reading is very positive if nothing else so I am really excited to see how how it will work in actual play. Also (and I think this falls in line with their new revised nda) I have to say that I am really liking the fluff which is not something I was expecting at all. I was all set to just run this in Eberron, but now I think I shall use the basic world.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 25, 2012

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

If anyone is really that concerned about waiting for the next round of playtests there's redacted

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 25, 2012

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

:/ Seriously? Nobody will break the NDA on the massive D&D 5 playtest, but people are pirating an actual good game that deserves a shot? Let's not encourage that, please.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Yeah that's all kind of :filez: and I'd rather not have that in here.

It's pretty lovely it went online so quickly, but expected I guess. From that rpg.net thread pelgrane was caught completely off guard by the enthusiasm.

Edit: to clarify, I'm okay with talking about how pelgrane hosed up by sending out a raw, editable doc file with no watermarks. I'm not okay with encouraging people to seek out the inevitable consequences of that gently caress up.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 25, 2012

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine that seeing it will just make me want to pay for a properly formatted and illustrated version that much more.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The current version is okay but it won't compare to the Mikan-playtested final version, don't bother

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Mikan tested, Bravo approved. :thumbsup:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gul Banana posted:

:/ Seriously? Nobody will break the NDA on the massive D&D 5 playtest, but people are pirating an actual good game that deserves a shot? Let's not encourage that, please.

One group has scarier lawyers.

Personally, I think it's a little silly they're keeping something this amazing under wraps, even incomplete (entire sections are missing, leaving only headers--it's like an incomplete geocities page) but I can see how a major figure behind 4e would be paranoid about people hearing pre-release information, making a snap judgement, and deciding to spend the next five years badmouthing it regarding things that aren't remotely true.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Which makes that blurb on Pelgrane, seemingly designed to have something in it to actively piss off everyone, so loving hilarious.

But seriously Fenarisk, it'd be cool to at least edit out where the gently caress to look for the leak.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

fosborb posted:

Which makes that blurb on Pelgrane, seemingly designed to have something in it to actively piss off everyone, so loving hilarious.

But seriously Fenarisk, it'd be cool to at least edit out where the gently caress to look for the leak.

I edited it, but keep in mind that I didn't provide an actual link and it literally took less than 10 seconds on a search engine to find the link on the largest document website that doesn't ever take down copyrighted PDF's anyway.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
All of the Icons are just literally straight up the epic level PCs from the D&D game I'm in, it's incredible. I can't wait for this to come out

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I have a friend who is a big fan of 4e. He read the rules and was initially put off by several things. However, after participating in the playtest, he really liked the system and saw how it all worked together.

That is why they want people to play the game, not read it online and discuss it without playing it. You've got to play the game to test it properly, and that is why they don't want people sharing the documents and discussing it without being in the playtest you know, playing the game.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
You do know, that whoever does download it could you know, do something with it... like play it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Korwin posted:

You do know, that whoever does download it could you know, do something with it... like play it.

Or they could trash an unfinished product online with the same vitriol they applied to 4e. Which (if you look at that RPGnet thread) already happened. Now give those assholes a file full of half-finished soundbites and missing sacred cows to remove from context, and just try to give 13A a fair shot. Why doesn't Fireball do 6D6 damage? Because Heinsoo wasn't done raping Gary's dreams.

Alternative, they could love the game. So much that they rush a knockoff PDF out the door and when 13A launches out everyone talks about how badly it ripped off indie plagiarizer designer Shithead McDoucheface.

There's more reasons to actually adhere to the NDA than not.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Laphroaig posted:

That is why they want people to play the game, not read it online and discuss it without playing it. You've got to play the game to test it properly, and that is why they don't want people sharing the documents and discussing it without being in the playtest you know, playing the game.

Paizo said the same thing, and we all saw how that turned out.
There's nothing wrong with working out the math, discussing potentially problematic issues or figuring things out independent of gameplay. In fact, I'd feel a lot better if people had playtest notes based on objective, unemotional analysis instead of "I played it and it was fun and I liked it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

moths posted:

Alternative, they could love the game. So much that they rush a knockoff PDF out the door and when 13A launches out everyone talks about how badly it ripped off indie plagiarizer designer Shithead McDoucheface.

There's more reasons to actually adhere to the NDA than not.

Ahahahaha what

For reference I'm running this next week instead of our usual fantasy FATE game, it looks fun and something right up my group's alley, although I do already see a few small flaws/issues in the early playtest which hopefully I'll see change if I get into the second round.

• Locked thread