Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Partycat posted:

As he said the cycling lights mean that it is trying to join the controller. If you look at the console it may give you an idea why it left the controller. AFAIK it won't move between controllers until it loses contact or is booted, so I don't see why DNS would screw with it once it is already online.

You could always do "lwapp ap controller ip address X.X.X.X" and specifiy if you wanted to avoid DNS (or configure controller IP in WCS) but I bet the problem is elsewhere.

I'm gonna go out there at some point so I can see exactly instead of having it relay.

I got the "broken" one here and put it on our WiFi network. It cycles through various colors, white, amber, blue, etc. Goes green for about 5 seconds and then blinking red. So I think it's actually bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
I know there's a couple ONS guys in here, and hopefully someone has seen this before. Our Smartnet expired and it's going to probably take 2 or 3 more days for the renewal to go through before I can get a ticket open with Cisco, so here I am.

I was able to log into the node when it was here, we shipped it to the site, and now I can't log into it. Here's the text I'll enter for the Cisco ticket:

We have a node that we are unable to log into. When we type the username and password into CTC, we get a couple different error messages: "A failure occurred during IOR Repository Initialization. Please wait. CTC will try again." or "A failure occurred during User Authentication. Please wait. CTC will try again." In either case, we hit the OK button, and it tries over and over again until we give up. It seems to be the correct user/password, because when we put the wrong ones in, it immediately kicks you out and you have to put the user/password in again, so I suspect I'm entering the correct credentials.

We have tried pulling the active TCC2P card and failing to standby, but same issue happened. Tried power cycling the shelf, same thing.

Any ideas?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Panthrax posted:

We have tried pulling the active TCC2P card and failing to standby, but same issue happened. Tried power cycling the shelf, same thing.

Any ideas?

Trashed your CTC cache yet?

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I've got an architectural problem I need to solve, and I believe I know how to solve it but I need some guidance on the configuration.

Backstory:

In our corp network we have a pair of Checkpoint firewalls in HA and 1 ISP which handles all of the traffic (internet and site to site VPN to colo). We recently brought in a second ISP (Comcast) which we want to send all of the internet traffic out of, leaving the site to site VPN on the old ISP. We got all of this configured and working how we wanted it, but when we tested a failover of the Checkpoints, outbound internet traffic failed until we rebooted the Comcast gateway. After speaking with Comcast tech support they said its a known issue that the Comcast gateway holds on to the ARP table for too long (sometimes hours) and this is why traffic failed. Long story short, they don't have another solution because we have a static IP and that equipment is the only one that works with that.

Here's the Cisco question:

I have a Cisco 1841 which I was going to put in between the Comcast gateway and the Checkpoints (so it can handle the ARP if the Checkpoints failover) but I'm not sure how to configure it.

Comcast gave us a 28 bit subnet and I can use any of the IPs on it. I was thinking of splitting the subnet into 2 29 bit subnets, and putting one on each interface of the 1841. This will allow the Checkpoints to still have their external IPs. I'm just curious if I'm making this more complicated than it should be, and if not, how would I go about configuring this on the 1841?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Use a switch. Create an SVI that is the comcast public /28. The comcast default gateway is say .1 Your Checkpoints are .2 and .3 and the virtual address is .4.

You still have a single point of failure, the provider and the switch, but now your checkpoints will be able to fail over gracefully.

Actually you dont even need the SVI, just a vlan.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 21, 2012

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

ragzilla posted:

Trashed your CTC cache yet?

Just tried, same thing.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Powercrazy posted:

Use a switch. Create an SVI that is the comcast public /28. The comcast default gateway is say .1 Your Checkpoints are .2 and .3 and the virtual address is .4.

You still have a single point of failure, the provider and the switch, but now your checkpoints will be able to fail over gracefully.

Actually you dont even need the SVI, just a vlan.

Ok, I put a 3750 in the middle of the gateway and the Checkpoints (vlan 50) and rebooted the gateway. Now both of the checkpoints can ping the gateway, but they cannot ping the outside world. A traceroute doesn't even show them getting to the gateway. I've tried configuring an SVI on the vlan as well, but this did not change anything. Any thoughts?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering if anyone had a great guide for implementing and supporting cisco callmanager environments. I will give a brief description of our voice situation, which was initially implemented by a vendor that sucked and we have muddled our way through it despite the implementation. I now want to make sure it is awesome.

We have ~50 locations, 6 of which are cisco cucm sites. These 6 sites have approximately 50 phones total, each site has a 2901 or 2911 router. 5 of the 6 have FXO gateways, 1 is t1 E&M to a legacy PBX. We have a physical server which is a CUCM publisher and a second CUCM server which is a VM. All phones point to the publisher for TFTP and for their call manager server. We have various amounts of DSPs in each router, each router is licensed for SRST but likely doesn't have much in the way of functionality in the event it is severed from the WAN. We also have a CUCX server (VM) for our helpdesk, but some remote non-cisco sites are unable to call our helpdesk, they get dead air. most remote non-cisco sites talk to the cisco locations via H323.

Basically, I think the environment is jacked up because we don't know poo poo about transcoders, conference bridges, or cluster failover. It works just fine as is for what we use it for today, but I want to make sure that as we grow (we will be adding roughly 100 phones in the next 3 months) that I am not moving my end users into an environment that is destined for failure.

This thread is not the right location to flesh out my design, I just need some documentation or a book recommendation that will go over most of the basics, and give me the base knowledge I need to even know what else I need to learn more about. I have a general cisco voice book from cisco press, but it seems to be geared more toward enabling legacy PBXs to talk to each other through cisco.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

Basically, I think the environment is jacked up because we don't know poo poo about transcoders, conference bridges, or cluster failover. It works just fine as is for what we use it for today, but I want to make sure that as we grow (we will be adding roughly 100 phones in the next 3 months) that I am not moving my end users into an environment that is destined for failure.

I stepped into a similar situation about 3 years ago. Adds/Moves/Changes/PRI/SIP, no problem. Then we started running into all kinds of weird little issues. Random drops, VM issues, licensing, etc. The environment had not been managed a couple of years before that. We tried fixing things at first, which we were able to, but it took a bit.

After internet and email, phones being down will get you screamed at, screw SAP, SharePoint, etc. being down. And in multi-tenant buildings or campuses you have e911 to contend with.

We had a group come in, document everything and make recommendations. We had them work through a couple of recommendations, but their engineers ended up being flaky. Had the same problem a few more times, got fed up with it and went to Cisco and asked who they recommended. They can't "officially" recommend one vendor over another, but they got us in contact with the right folks and we found a group we're happy with.

Our knowledge has grown 10 fold with this, but we can't justify a full time voice engineer, even with 1200+ phones, but getting someone else in to do a health check was very much worth the cost, time, and travel.

Phones are also kinda like PCs. Go to a small or remote site, they find out you know something about them and you end up having 20 new tickets sitting in your queue for appearance or VM issues when you get back.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do I connect an ASA 5505 to my UPS? The power cable has some tiny proprietary connector on the ASA end and a standard 3-pin UK mains plug on the other. I need the same thing but with kettle on the end, or a mains female to kettle cable, if such a thing exists. It's proviing impossible to find because all I get is hits for standard kettle leads.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Tunga posted:

How do I connect an ASA 5505 to my UPS? The power cable has some tiny proprietary connector on the ASA end and a standard 3-pin UK mains plug on the other. I need the same thing but with kettle on the end, or a mains female to kettle cable, if such a thing exists. It's proviing impossible to find because all I get is hits for standard kettle leads.

While I can't help you directly, this might help you in your search: Those plugs have standardised names, which you can lookup here for the UPS side and here for your British plug
The "female kettle plug" you are looking for is probably a C14. I think your male plug is a BS 1363. Good hunt.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jelmylicious posted:

While I can't help you directly, this might help you in your search: Those plugs have standardised names, which you can lookup here for the UPS side and here for your British plug
The "female kettle plug" you are looking for is probably a C14. I think your male plug is a BS 1363. Good hunt.
Thanks, those numbers looks right, I'll try that.

I'd rather get a cable for the ASA directly but it looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/NMv4X.jpg

On the left there. It's like two small squares with a clip above it, I've never seen anything quite like it before so I'm assuming it's some kind of proprietary Cisco nonsense.

Edit: I'm dumb, the cable has a PSU halfway along it with one of the standard connectors from your link on it (C6), I just needed to find a cable between that and kettle which was easy.

Thanks!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 22, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tunga posted:

http://i.imgur.com/NMv4X.jpg

Thanks!
This means there's a transformer between the ASA and the wall, you'll never bypass it with a UPS.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

evil_bunnY posted:

This means there's a transformer between the ASA and the wall, you'll never bypass it with a UPS.

He's found the transformer and found a cable from UPS to the brick.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jelmylicious posted:

He's found the transformer and found a cable from UPS to the brick.
Confirmed, couldn't think of the correct word for the transformer. Just went and grabbed a C5 to C14 adapter, all sorted. Thanks again.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Depending on the UPS' internal battery arrangement, and assuming double conversion, you could conceivably tap into the UPS DC bus to power the ASA. But I'm sure no-one here would ever do such a terribly unsupported thing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
EDIT

NVM!

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pctD posted:

Ok, I put a 3750 in the middle of the gateway and the Checkpoints (vlan 50) and rebooted the gateway. Now both of the checkpoints can ping the gateway, but they cannot ping the outside world. A traceroute doesn't even show them getting to the gateway. I've tried configuring an SVI on the vlan as well, but this did not change anything. Any thoughts?

Wait. So if you remove the switch, and plug directly into the gateway it works, but if you put the switch there it doesn't?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ragzilla posted:

Depending on the UPS' internal battery arrangement, and assuming double conversion, you could conceivably tap into the UPS DC bus to power the ASA. But I'm sure no-one here would ever do such a terribly unsupported thing.
If you get near my rack I'm going to shoot you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
3750 can not support multiple subnets in it's DHCP server pool config.

Is this an issue that can be fixed with a different iOS or is there a different Cisco switch that I can replace the 3750 with that will handle multiple subnets within an individual pool?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

3750 can not support multiple subnets in it's DHCP server pool config.

Is this an issue that can be fixed with a different iOS or is there a different Cisco switch that I can replace the 3750 with that will handle multiple subnets within an individual pool?
Use a single subnet with exclusion ranges?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I don't need to exclude anything, I need to extend the pool, temporarily.

EDIT

These are MM, right?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Your image link is broken.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

These are MM, right?

Yes.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Single mode interfaces have a gaping hole in your checkbook area. Very hard to miss.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
With SFPs at least in cisco land.
Black Handle = Multimode
Blue = Short Range single mode
Green = Long Range single mode.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

With SFPs at least in cisco land.
Black Handle = Multimode
Blue = Short Range single mode
Green = Long Range single mode.
Does anyone ever buy first party SFPs? Here they cost at least 3 times what a supremely reliable 3rd party SFP costs.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
After having some consistent problems with 3rd party optics we buy all of our stuff Genuine Cisco, however we do use "gray-market" optics for a decent discount.

Of course this is a financial company so budget isn't really a problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah actually I was just about to ask this. I have an HP BladeSystem Cisco GESM that I need to source two or three SFPs for. There shouldn't be anything HP or Cisco proprietary about the SFPs, right?

I only ask because I have zero experience with SFPs. Everything I read says I should be fine just buying something off eBay but I wanted to doublecheck.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Does anyone ever buy first party SFPs? Here they cost at least 3 times what a supremely reliable 3rd party SFP costs.

We buy Cisco branded as far as I know.

I've tried using these "different" ones, the ones I linked to, and they didn't work. I assumed they were an old specification.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Yeah actually I was just about to ask this. I have an HP BladeSystem Cisco GESM that I need to source two or three SFPs for. There shouldn't be anything HP or Cisco proprietary about the SFPs, right?

I only ask because I have zero experience with SFPs. Everything I read says I should be fine just buying something off eBay but I wanted to doublecheck.

In *general* all SFPs are universal. However certain older spec SFPs won't work in certain older switches. In some cisco switches you have to use some undocumented commands to allow generic SFPs, HP may be similiar. To be safe and if you are buying a lot of optics, use whichever HP recommends.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah. Well this is just for a little pet VMware lab I have. I need two more gig phy RJ45 uplinks for my iSCSI target machine so I was just going to get three SFPs off eBay and pray for the best. I figure I guess if they don't work I'll just flip them on eBay and hope someone picks them up.

If this was an actual business thing I would definitely just spring for some first party components :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 26, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Whats the undocumented command for generic SFPs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Iunno, the net guys have been using third party stuff forever and never had any issues.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Whats the undocumented command for generic SFPs?

This is probably what he means.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Most (good) third party optic manufacturers will use valid vendor serial numbers for the SFPs so the box won't even know it's a third party optic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

This is probably what he means.

Yep.

I had to use the service unsupported-transceiver command when I was doing a migration from brocade to cisco. The total number of optics was in the hundreds, and they wouldn't work on Cisco switches, at first. I happened to remember that command existed from my Service Provider days and came in and basically saved my company like $10,000.

I guess one of the lessons that Experience teaches you is that saving your company a lot of money net's you zero reward.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Powercrazy posted:

I guess one of the lessons that Experience teaches you is that saving your company a lot of money net's you zero reward.

Not to derail but this is a good lesson. It's something I remember every time I think about putting in a few extra hours to get something done ahead of schedule. Sometimes it's appreciated and does a lot of good; a lot of the time it's a wash and you're left wondering where your weekend went.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also it should be nets not net's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

tortilla_chip posted:

Most (good) third party optic manufacturers will use valid vendor serial numbers for the SFPs so the box won't even know it's a third party optic.

I got a set that had the same serials and would toss both into err-dis if they were both plugged in to the same switch.