Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

twistedmentat posted:

On my vanguard broshep, my weapons are so light cooldowns are only a few seconds. Ziping everywhere like a banshee.

Though I know its been posted before, but what are the best final options for charge/nova combo?

Also, as my broshep is black, and wears a hoodie, I can't help but think Space Fox News is running stories "Can we really trust Commander Shepard? Does he really look like our idea of a hero of earth? "

If you're playing insanity, I'd take full barrier recharge on charge and half-barrier use on nova. The additional survivability and not blowing out all your shields after a nova can buy you the precious,few seconds you need to survive between charges.

What's a good bonus power for a vanguard? Is barrier worth the cool down reduction for the increased survivability and the detonate power (lift everything around you then charge/nova and blow it up)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

On my vanguard broshep, my weapons are so light cooldowns are only a few seconds. Ziping everywhere like a banshee.

Though I know its been posted before, but what are the best final options for charge/nova combo?

Also, as my broshep is black, and wears a hoodie, I can't help but think Space Fox News (Star Fox News?) is running stories "Can we really trust Commander Shepard? Does he really look like our idea of a hero of earth? "

A black, hoodie-wearing, shotgun-toting, possibly-gay hero who lives by a code that others may not agree with...

Oh, indeed...

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Gaz-L posted:

A black, hoodie-wearing, shotgun-toting, possibly-gay hero who lives by a code that others may not agree with...

Oh, indeed...
Must find Omar little face code now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, indeed...

He's not gay, but his GF is certainly not white.

Speaking of that, I was hoping at some point Liara would admit she was pregnant with her and Shepards daughter.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Doc Dee posted:

Wait, really? I imported a Renegade Shep, left the facial scarring, and he didn't have any in ME3, thus far anyway.

Unless.... That was part of the face import bug, but why would it be?? D:
You don't have it at the start, it comes back after you return to the Normandy once you've picked up Chakwas/Michel from the Citadel. I guess the reasoning is you healed up while in not-jail but now the stress is making the scars flare up again or some such bobbins.

It's good though, as the minor scarring looks kinda cool, I was glad I kept it instead of getting it fixed.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
You can heal the scarring in 3 if you didn't in 2, it's one of the research upgrades you get from Glyph.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Banjodark posted:

If you're playing insanity, I'd take full barrier recharge on charge and half-barrier use on nova. The additional survivability and not blowing out all your shields after a nova can buy you the precious,few seconds you need to survive between charges.

What's a good bonus power for a vanguard? Is barrier worth the cool down reduction for the increased survivability and the detonate power (lift everything around you then charge/nova and blow it up)?

I like Reave as a bonus power for Vanguards, damage reduction is always good, and since it acts as both a source and a detonator for biotic blasts it combos really well with your (team mates) other powers.

Charge and Nova benefit from radius upgrades as well, since staggering nearby enemies is more important than doing a minimal bit more damage. Pierce should be taken for Nova's rank 6, since the damage boost far outweighs the chance of not using barriers. Besides, your cooldown on charge should be so low that you can zip off again immediately anyway.

Personally I don't like half-blast, it messes up my rhythm too much. Besides, between 200% cooldown reduction off the weapons, 25% from Nova rank 5a, and up to 50% from armour bonuses, charge for me is ready to go even before I finish Nova. Honestly, I found that being able to do devastating damage quickly and then zip off and be full-health again to be more useful. The times where I'd have liked to keep some barriers in reserve, like against Atlases or Turrets didn't seem to make a difference, since turrets don't stop firing and will finish you off in the few moments between Novas, and Atlases will either fire a rocket or do a melee smash and knock you back, which seems to leave me with about the same amount of health left no matter how much I had when hit. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something? (This is on insanity also).

Related question: Does anyone have any preference between the Talon and the Disciple for Vanguards? Or would a pistol/assault rifle be better to keep long range options open?

Non-related question: Sometimes squaddies will comment on previous mission, does this change if you took them with you? For example, after meeting up with the Salarian councilor, Javik says something like, I heard about this Kai Leng human you encountered, blah blah, does anyone know if that line changes if he was in your squad during that mission?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Is there any console command to undue or quit the current mission I started? I goofed and started the Quarian mission where you destroy the reaper and choose to save either the Geth or Quarians before I did the other quest to defuse that bomb, which I realize now prevents me from passing the speech check at the end . Unfortunately my only save point prior to this is about 5 hours back...

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 27, 2012

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Mazerunner posted:

Non-related question: Sometimes squaddies will comment on previous mission, does this change if you took them with you? For example, after meeting up with the Salarian councilor, Javik says something like, I heard about this Kai Leng human you encountered, blah blah, does anyone know if that line changes if he was in your squad during that mission?

That's a really good question that I wouldn't mind knowing either. My last playthrough I had a lot of teammates telling me they would've liked to have come on certain missions and it made me feel super-bad. I tried to do better this time. I thought bringing Garrus and James on Tuchanka would make everyone happy, but then I had to listen to Javik guilt trip me about how he really would've liked to have seen a Reaper get taken down.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

You can heal the scarring in 3 if you didn't in 2, it's one of the research upgrades you get from Glyph.

Yeah, but gently caress THAT, the health bonus is way better.

Seriously, only reason to remove those scars is if you're RPing an incredibly vain Shep who only gives any kind of respect to those he/she deems even somewhat attractive, and always wears a mask to protect his/her BEAUTIFUL FACE a la Vega/Claw from Street Fighter.

!! Just got an idea for a playthrough, probably an........... Adept or Infiltrator, right? Probably male, most likely banging Allers (because she is the MOST BEAUTIFUL HUMAN) :downs:

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Mazerunner posted:

I like Reave as a bonus power for Vanguards, damage reduction is always good, and since it acts as both a source and a detonator for biotic blasts it combos really well with your (team mates) other powers.
this is what I was thinking as well, especially area reave when you can hit a good 5-6 of them at once and have several things to explode into with your charge

quote:

Personally I don't like half-blast, it messes up my rhythm too much. Besides, between 200% cooldown reduction off the weapons, 25% from Nova rank 5a, and up to 50% from armour bonuses, charge for me is ready to go even before I finish Nova. Honestly, I found that being able to do devastating damage quickly and then zip off and be full-health again to be more useful. The times where I'd have liked to keep some barriers in reserve, like against Atlases or Turrets didn't seem to make a difference, since turrets don't stop firing and will finish you off in the few moments between Novas, and Atlases will either fire a rocket or do a melee smash and knock you back, which seems to leave me with about the same amount of health left no matter how much I had when hit. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something? (This is on insanity also).

I only suggested half-blast because I've found it invaluable in multiplayer where I'll be in a situation where an enemy I had planned to charge will be dead (killed by a team-mate) and suddenly I'm stranded without shields and need to quickly re-adjust to charge something or die. In gold difficulty you get barely less than a second to make that adjustment - I suppose this is an entirely different ball-game in single player though where you have a lot more control over the battlefield, can pause and can really dictate when/what targets die for the most part.

quote:

Yeah these change albeit very slightly, if you bring Javik with you to Uttuku to meet Grunt, he'll have some different things to say about him aboard the normandy and has some unique conversation with grunt too. He also celebrates the death of the reaper on tuchanka with some slightly different dialogue.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Mazerunner posted:

Does anyone have any preference between the Talon and the Disciple for Vanguards? Or would a pistol/assault rifle be better to keep long range options open?

The Disciple is a VERY LIGHT SHOTGUN (have a Disciple III and a Shuriken X on my MP Turian Sentinel and have +110% recharge, actually not too bad imho) and the Talon is a VERY HEAVY PISTOL. Then again, all the weapons on my current Soldier playthrough (Crusader, Talon, Javelin) are very heavy, and even though I'm pretty sure I spec'd for recharge I still have +200%. idk, I'd personally go with the Disciple every day, if you can't stand using an SMG on your Vanguard.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Three geth primes all at once with no safe cover? Really? :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My Shepard just said "Bad dog!" to the robo-dog for no apparent reason. Come on now Shepard why do you hate robot dogs :smith:

I'd understand if I were playing a renegade Shep, but she's mostly paragon.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

404notfound posted:

Hmm, funny. My Sentinel had no problem when I brought Garrus along, spammed Overload, and then Warploxed their shields.

What class are you playing? Is it one of those flashy ones like Vanguards? I don't see a point to charging into things when I can fire Warps and Throws around a corner like I'm in "Wanted" and litter the front line with biotic explosions before any of them get close enough to fire on me. :smug:

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

404notfound posted:

If you're where I think you are, there should also be some of those crazy rapid-fire Geth heavy weapons lying around that make the fight a lot easier.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone got any weapon loadout suggestions for an infiltrator? I'm currently rockin a black widow and paladin. I find the paladin does it's job decently but I need something for the final few missions where you get swarmed by lots of enemies.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Javik has enough good banter on Attican Traverse: Krogan Team that I'd recommend it be added to the OP. He knows Grunt by scent and also sheds quite a bit of insight on the Rachni. Apparently the Protheans bred them to be smart and hostile for use in proxy wars, sort of like what the Salarians want to do with the Yahg on Sur'Kesh. That backfired and they had to burn 200 Rachni controlled worlds, hoping to drive the Rachni into extinction.

EDIT:

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyone got any weapon loadout suggestions for an infiltrator? I'm currently rockin a black widow and paladin. I find the paladin does it's job decently but I need something for the final few missions where you get swarmed by lots of enemies.

IMHO the Paladin and the Black Widow are a little redundant to begin with. You would probably benefit from either swapping the Black Widow for something lighter weight and faster shooting (or something good at taking down barriers/shields) or swapping out the Paladin for an SMG with ultralight materials. I think you really want a huge + recharge boost so you can cloak at a moments notice to juggle enemy crowds on those last mission(s), so you want low total weight anyway. The weights of your allies' guns don't matter so they can just take the highest damage weapons possible. It's also worth bringing shore party guys who can either tank or deal with reaper enemies very well. That'll probably help out the most.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DerDestroyer posted:

Locust? I've been using it recently and it destroys everything.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

DerDestroyer posted:

N7 Valiant with armor piercing mod and the damage increase mod. Pop cloak, pop proxy-mine specced to make the target take 20% more damage, and then let loose the headshots. Things will melt.

Or be a bad rear end and rock the bolt action Widow while humming the game music as it plays.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

El Tortuga posted:

Hmm, funny. My Sentinel had no problem when I brought Garrus along, spammed Overload, and then Warploxed their shields.

What class are you playing? Is it one of those flashy ones like Vanguards? I don't see a point to charging into things when I can fire Warps and Throws around a corner like I'm in "Wanted" and litter the front line with biotic explosions before any of them get close enough to fire on me. :smug:

Scuzzywuffit posted:

If you're where I think you are, there should also be some of those crazy rapid-fire Geth heavy weapons lying around that make the fight a lot easier.

I am indeed a vanguard, and I ended up using not a single one of my powers during the fight. I had no idea what to do since the Spitfire barely had enough ammo to take down one prime, but after some dumb luck I discovered that there's more than one in the area. After a few tries, I managed to just bum rush each prime one by one with the Spitfires, using Tali to sabotage them and buy a few extra seconds. Still, what a terribly designed fight. For vanguards, at least.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Banjodark posted:

I am using Energy Drain. It's fantastic for fights when you can't easily charge (Grissom Academy, gently caress YOU) and a good option to keep your barriers topped up.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
It just occurred to me - Jack really grew a lot of hair in six months.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but after I finished Tuchanka, Garrus and Joker were up in the cockpit, each telling jokes about the other's species. "How many humans does it take to restart a dormant mass effect relay?"

Why are there nuggets of greatness like that, and then huge stretches of nothing but, "Commander." So uneven.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Barracuda Bang! posted:

It just occurred to me - Jack really grew a lot of hair in six months.

Not sure about you, but most people I know can go from shaved to a full head of hair in about 1-2 months. :ssh:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Not sure about you, but most people I know can go from shaved to a full head of hair in about 1-2 months. :ssh:

And four months after that you'd have hair below your shoulders?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This is a Mass Effect 2 question. I was looking into what happens to some characters in ME3, and it turns out Kelly Chambers doesn't show up unless you did her minor romance tree from what I can tell. I think I may have chosen the middle ground of formality in the first little bit of the game, and the romance options don't seem to be showing up. Is there any way to fix that?

Unrelated, but getting the Viper after the Widow is just sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

HenessyHero posted:

Javik has enough good banter on Attican Traverse: Krogan Team that I'd recommend it be added to the OP. He knows Grunt by scent and also sheds quite a bit of insight on the Rachni. Apparently the Protheans bred them to be smart and hostile for use in proxy wars, sort of like what the Salarians want to do with the Yahg on Sur'Kesh. That backfired and they had to burn 200 Rachni controlled world, hoping to drive the Rachni into extinction..

Yea, that was pretty awesome. I should do a playthrough where I take Javik though every major mission. He doesn't seem to have much to say during minor missions though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And four months after that you'd have hair below your shoulders?

If Jack's hair doesn't grow fast enough then she goes to a mirror and glares at her scalp until it does what she wants.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

HenessyHero posted:

Javik has enough good banter on Attican Traverse: Krogan Team that I'd recommend it be added to the OP.

Thanks for the heads up, added it! :)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but after I finished Tuchanka, Garrus and Joker were up in the cockpit, each telling jokes about the other's species. "How many humans does it take to restart a dormant mass effect relay?"

Why are there nuggets of greatness like that, and then huge stretches of nothing but, "Commander." So uneven.

They tend to put the on-ship content (dialogue cutscenes, etc) right after the big story missions, and the lighter "push to hear soundbite" stuff after minor missions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Two minor questions:

1)Is Gunsmith possible, and if so, how? I never saw a weapon go past level 5, they disappeared from my upgrade menu once I got them that high.

2)I had a weird thing happening with overheard conversations on the Citadel (PTSD Asari, the girl who wants to get into the club, etc.), where they'd play a single snippet, and then I didn't get a "Push A to make them keep talking" prompt and walking away a little bit and coming back didn't make them say the next thing. I could only advance the conversation by loading an entirely different section of the Citadel and then reloading the original section and walking by them again. It made hearing entire conversations pretty much impossible unless I actively double-loaded every single time they stopped talking. Bug, or is that how it is now? It wasn't like that in 1 or 2.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Two minor questions:

1)Is Gunsmith possible, and if so, how? I never saw a weapon go past level 5, they disappeared from my upgrade menu once I got them that high.

2)I had a weird thing happening with overheard conversations on the Citadel (PTSD Asari, the girl who wants to get into the club, etc.), where they'd play a single snippet, and then I didn't get a "Push A to make them keep talking" prompt and walking away a little bit and coming back didn't make them say the next thing. I could only advance the conversation by loading an entirely different section of the Citadel and then reloading the original section and walking by them again. It made hearing entire conversations pretty much impossible unless I actively double-loaded every single time they stopped talking. Bug, or is that how it is now? It wasn't like that in 1 or 2.

1) Upgrades past level 5 are unlocked in the NG+. That's how you get Gunsmith. Also, if you get a level 10 weapon in the MP, that'll unlock the achievement too.

2) That's just how it is. Not all conversations of all the "Press A to continue" variety. Some conversations just reach an end until you exit and re-enter the area. I suppose it's just to stretch out the amount of background dialogue happening on the Citadel.

While I think it's a little urksome because I really liked the PTSD Asari one and it took forever to hear all of (Spoiler for that: Oh god, Joker's family!), it's really for the better. I, for one, appreciate not having to listen to "I Want something that says 'I own this room. I own you.'" every time I make a pass from end of Illium to the other.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

El Tortuga posted:

2) That's just how it is. Not all conversations of all the "Press A to continue" variety. Some conversations just reach an end until you exit and re-enter the area. I suppose it's just to stretch out the amount of background dialogue happening on the Citadel.

While I think it' a little urksome because I really liked the PTSD Asari one and it took forever to hear all of (Spoiler for that: Oh god, Joker's family!), it's really for the better. I, for one, appreciate not having to listen to "I Want something that says 'I own this room. I own you.'" every time I make a pass from end of Illium to the other.

Welcome to the Citadel gift shop!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Doc Dee posted:

It's called Bring Down The Sky. I don't know if it's still available for free, but that'd be pretty awesome. Way better than not being able to get either DLC since ME2 came out via XBL.

Figured I'd help in some way. :eng99:

It's still free for PC, though because of something getting bolluxed up when they did the forums changeover so you will need to speak to someone at the Origin helpchat to get you a registration code as anything that was on file before got wiped. the new code is tied to your account (found that out when I tried to use the one my fiance had) but I would suggest writing it down so you don't have to go through the bs again if you have to reinstall down the road for whatever reason.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

El Tortuga posted:

While I think it's a little urksome because I really liked the PTSD Asari one and it took forever to hear all of (Spoiler for that: Oh god, Joker's family!), it's really for the better. I, for one, appreciate not having to listen to "I Want something that says 'I own this room. I own you.'" every time I make a pass from end of Illium to the other.
Yeah, but the flipside is that I didn't hear all of anything naturally. I had to reload Huerta Memorial like four times right before I went on the Commit mission, just to get PTSD Asari to finish her story.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Bah! To hell with those heavy weapons they leave around the place. :argh: In every single boss-rush in the game I've done so far, I don't find the heavy weapons until *after* I've cleared the rush. :cry:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Does anyone else have the bug where, if a character has any sort of defensive power (defense matrix, barrier, fortification and presumably tech armor as well), that you immediately go in to a super long cooldown when you load a save?

This basically means that if you die in a fight, and restart from a save, you can't use any powers until the cooldown has ended. Which puts you at a distinct disadvantage from the beginning of the fight.

You don't even need to put any points into the power, simply having it at rank 0 triggers the bug. Replacing a defensive bonus power with a "normal" one instantly fixes it.

All characters with defensive powers in the game seem to be affected. I have 0 points in EDI's defense matrix power, but every time I load I have to wait 10 seconds or so until I can use any of her powers.

edit:

magimix posted:

Bah! To hell with those heavy weapons they leave around the place. :argh: In every single boss-rush in the game I've done so far, I don't find the heavy weapons until *after* I've cleared the rush. :cry:

Yeah, I have the same problem. But in this specific case, one of the spitfires is directly in front of you as you enter the room.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up an Insanity Renegade No Romance Sentinel Femshep play-through and oh my god I have never ran so much in a game or cursed more loudly at a game than I did during the final battle.

It took me longer than it should have for me to figure out that right before you're able to launch the final two missiles that the Reaper in the background lasers through 90% of the banshees, marauders and cannibals that show up. I think I spent more time at the loading screen than I did actually playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

AndyElusive posted:

It took me longer than it should have for me to figure out that right before you're able to launch the final two missiles that the Reaper in the background lasers through 90% of the banshees, marauders and cannibals that show up. I think I spent more time at the loading screen than I did actually playing.

Huh, really? Does the Reaper kill them all when he lasers them?

I just said "gently caress it", activated cloak and leisurely strolled over to the button without even attempting to take them all out.

• Locked thread