Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One thing in particular bugs me about Wing (Aside from...most everything else...): Why the hell were all three factions in the final battle of the series on the same radio channel? There was poo poo like Dorothy saying something and Treize finishing the statement. I suppose that wasn't really the case and it was supposed to be artistic or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Unlucky7 posted:

One thing in particular bugs me about Wing (Aside from...most everything else...): Why the hell were all three factions in the final battle of the series on the same radio channel? There was poo poo like Dorothy saying something and Treize finishing the statement. I suppose that wasn't really the case and it was supposed to be artistic or something?

Gundam in general doesn't seem to have any sort of actual jamming technology; in the UC series Minovsky particles will sometimes jam radios, but not always. Wing doesn't have Minovsky particles unless I'm remembering wrong, so maybe everyone can always hear everyone else? That seems to me like the sort of thing you'd want to avoid, but hey, what do I know?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I like to think of it the same way I like to think of how SRW has everybody able to communicate with each other regardless of radio channels and all that poo poo: everybody's mech has a PA system. This explains why enemies will always fear the sun, and why hearing Akira bellow out "RAAAAAIIIIII" is the last thing most enemies will ever hear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only time I recall it explained was in IIRC Destiny where they basically say that characters are using the emergency broadcast channel to scream at each other.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

The only time I recall it explained was in IIRC Destiny where they basically say that characters are using the emergency broadcast channel to scream at each other.

That is honestly the best possible explanation.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Mobile Suits have specific radio channels set purely for cross faction philosophy debates.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I thought there quiet a few scenes in Z2 where characters didn't communicate at all and just sat around guessing what the other side was trying to think.

Sable Stormfront posted:

Gundam in general doesn't seem to have any sort of actual jamming technology; in the UC series Minovsky particles will sometimes jam radios, but not always. Wing doesn't have Minovsky particles unless I'm remembering wrong, so maybe everyone can always hear everyone else? That seems to me like the sort of thing you'd want to avoid, but hey, what do I know?
Minovsky particles will always jam radio frequencies. But that depends on the density of the particles and the range of broadcast. And come on it's not like anyone used radio to shout at each other anymore, after MSG, when newtype telepathy is so much more convenient.

wanted to find that scene from the anime, but uh too much effort

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mercury Crusader posted:

I like to think of it the same way I like to think of how SRW has everybody able to communicate with each other regardless of radio channels and all that poo poo: everybody's mech has a PA system. This explains why enemies will always fear the sun, and why hearing Akira bellow out "RAAAAAIIIIII" is the last thing most enemies will ever hear.

Super Robot PA systems always have extreme echo and reverb. God voice, heh :allears:

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010
I always assumed that when it came to Super Robots the shear amount of man that people like Ryouma, Kouji, and Akira contain breaks the laws of physics and allows him to yell across anything.

With Real Robots it does require an explanation as that is the general nature of Real Robots, but I always assumed that the talking across robots was always a result of shows like Gundam falling back into their Super Robot roots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think I've ever seen comms encryption in any sort of anime, actually.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I remember back in the very first episode of 0079 they showed that Mobile Suits had to touch each other to bypass the Minovsky particle jamming, and later on beam sabers were treated as extensions of the MS to justify the whole yelling at each other while trading blows.

The only case of comms encryption I've seen in mecha is (sort of) an early episode of Eureka Seven where they jam enemy communications with music.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
They also used laser communication methods (as well as skin talk) which was also pretty useless if anything was in the way of point A and B.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

They also used laser communication methods (as well as skin talk) which was also pretty useless if anything was in the way of point A and B.

Laser communication is the most practical long rage communication option when minovsky particles are involved. While skin talk is probably the most convenient and secure method of communication between two parties. Other than newtype telepathy of course. That poo poo lets you talk to dead people if you feel like it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Even if you don't feel like it!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kingtheninja posted:

Even if you don't feel like it!

"Mom, can this wait for later? I'm kinda in the middle of a battle right now."
"Don't be like that, Mom. I'll come and visit in a couple episodes, so just be patient, OK?"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I just started Eureka Seven the other day, and holy crap do I regret not watching it sooner.
I'm at episode 15 right now, please tell me it's this good all the way through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, if you think it's this good already, hold onto your loving hat.

When you see Skyfall, you'll poo poo bricks.

Also, when you hear Rainbow(the 10-minute-long finale song).

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012
I've been playing some SRW games as of late and one of my favorite robots is the Dancougar, simply because it deals a lot of damage most of the time. However I am curious about the show itself. Is Dancougar and by extension Dancougar Nova good or do they lose steam in this day and age?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dancougar Nova is a pretty bad show.

The original Dancougar isn't anything special, but it's okay.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

BitterCharisma posted:

I've been playing some SRW games as of late and one of my favorite robots is the Dancougar, simply because it deals a lot of damage most of the time. However I am curious about the show itself. Is Dancougar and by extension Dancougar Nova good or do they lose steam in this day and age?

Dancouga Nova (no R in either) is typically referred to as Gravion Drei. Given the last couple pages, I think that says all you need to know.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Can we have a little real robot love? I finished the first Patlabor movie the other day (bought the LE movie bundle off Rightstuf, very cheap and highly recommended, the extras are nifty) and I really, really liked it. It wasn't so much of a mech thing as it was about the relationships and issues faced by the police force, but the scenes with actual mech combat were drat good and well animated. The mechs in Patlabor aren't as capable of the crazy stuff in some super robot shows (well, except maybe the one that can tear a Labor apart with its own two hands) but the fact that they're real robots makes it all the more interesting in how the fight scenes are handled. I especially got a laugh out of the scene where Ohta's unit steps on a cop car that was already crushed by a berserk Labor.

And the music was just awesome. I actually sat through the end credits just to listen to the main theme. :allears:

I'm looking forward to watching the second movie, and hopefully someone (Discotek?) will rescue the OVAs because I'm really not interested in paying $70+ for them.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 24 out.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Giant Gorg 1-6 subs now exist, courtesy of the people who finished out the VOTOMs oeuvre, and something else I'm forgetting now.

Of course this poo poo was licensed ages ago, and the only reason we're waiting on these fansubs is Japan hosed up during that process. Thanks Japan.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I have been waiting years for Giant Gorg to get subbed. It's going to be insanely tempting to watch these now like it was tempting to watch the five episodes animeclassics subbed. Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has only directed five things and this has been the only hold out. gently caress Bandai/Sunrise forever for sabotaging the release of this and Layzner.

As a fan of both YAS and giant robots I really hope they stick to this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guyver posted:

It's going to be insanely tempting to watch these now like it was tempting to watch the five episodes animeclassics subbed.

I downloaded the animeclassic subs way back, but I only ever watched four because I didn't want to run out of episodes to watch.

If the rest of Gorg was as good as the first episodes, then I highly recommend this show!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

AzraelNewtype posted:

Giant Gorg 1-6 subs now exist, courtesy of the people who finished out the VOTOMs oeuvre, and something else I'm forgetting now.

Of course this poo poo was licensed ages ago, and the only reason we're waiting on these fansubs is Japan hosed up during that process. Thanks Japan.

Wait... they did all of Daitarn 3 too? :aaaaa:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait... they did all of Daitarn 3 too? :aaaaa:

No. While it's all done, that was different people.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Well, after some urging, I've read all the main Getter Robo manga except for Arc and watched Shin Getter Armageddon.
Yeah, that was good, the only regret now is that I realize how derivative of it other things are and that I took so long to finally give it a go.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 25 is out.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I have some news regarding Mazinger-Z sort of, a group called Chili-Mag Fansub uploaded episodes 1-60 two days ago with "Better than HK" quality subs and Audio in 6 different languages (3 different spanish audio tracks too).

They're definitely serviceable, not as good as the deserves subs release though. It seems that they intended to upload the whole 92 episodes but ByChili then decided to release them as bootleg DVDs.

In any case if anyone is interested you can find them here or if you'd rather not wade around in a spanish language website (with some english text) then here

e: I forgot to mention there's some really unnecessary cursing in the subs.

e2: Take the bootleg DVD comment with a grain of salt since that's what I took from ByChili's post in the thread where I found the episodes.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2012

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 26 out.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
Even though Gunam is a real robot franchise, where exactly does G Gundam land? It has about enough attack name shouts and BURNING PASSION for me to almost consider it to be a super robot series. Anyone agree?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

Even though Gunam is a real robot franchise, where exactly does G Gundam land? It has about enough attack name shouts and BURNING PASSION for me to almost consider it to be a super robot series. Anyone agree?

Real Robot/Super Robot is basically a meaningless classification. It used to mean "military robot" and "magical super science robot" but even those have basically mixed together at this point. You have military robots made of super metal and magic engines that tank laser shots like nothing and super robots which are dodgy or weak defensively or whatnot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And then you have Dai-Guard.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

You know, when you think about it, Dai-Guard probably works as a better deconstruction of giant robot shows than Eva

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

You know, when you think about it, Dai-Guard probably works as a better deconstruction of giant robot shows than Eva
Literally!

Be here all week, folks.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

You're a bad person, you know :colbert:

Dr. Fingerguns fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 3, 2012

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

You're a bad person, you know :colbert:

I completely agree, but in the grand scheme of things G Gundam would definitely be a super robot show on the basic principle of the pilot's burning soul being the measure of how powerful the robot is. The reason real/super classification is considered pointless is because real robots originated from super robots, so they tend to go back on themselves and draw ideas that would be more appropriate in a super robot show. As a result, things like EVA and several Gundams become what is now known as hybrid shows, which resulted in the classification being pointless because many super and real robot shows have elements of both. The only way to distinguish them is by the titular robot.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Dai Guard is a super robot built without super science and on a tight budget. So it's a real robot. Even that is a stretch. It's a larger Odaiba Gundam that can walk.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Robot/Real Robot is to me less a distinction about the robots and more a distinction about how the show is written.

But even then it's basically an incredibly vague completely pedantic phrase that has no meaning outside of Super Robot Wars. And even there you have Real Robots that play like Super Robots and Super Robots that play like Real Robots.

• Locked thread