Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dwazegek posted:

Huh, really? Does the Reaper kill them all when he lasers them?

I just said "gently caress it", activated cloak and leisurely strolled over to the button without even attempting to take them all out.

Another reason why I should have played an Infiltrator for my Insanity run rather than my casual run.

And yup, when the Reaper fires its cannon the beam will burn through everything that's in its path, including your squad mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Does anyone else have the bug where, if a character has any sort of defensive power (defense matrix, barrier, fortification and presumably tech armor as well), that you immediately go in to a super long cooldown when you load a save?

This basically means that if you die in a fight, and restart from a save, you can't use any powers until the cooldown has ended. Which puts you at a distinct disadvantage from the beginning of the fight.

You don't even need to put any points into the power, simply having it at rank 0 triggers the bug. Replacing a defensive bonus power with a "normal" one instantly fixes it.

All characters with defensive powers in the game seem to be affected. I have 0 points in EDI's defense matrix power, but every time I load I have to wait 10 seconds or so until I can use any of her powers.

I've definitely seen something like that happen. Reloads can be dangerous sometimes. For example, hitting a plot trigger that also triggers an autosave, just as you die, may see you reload with the mission in an indeterminate state. Elsewhere, I somehow triggered and auto-save at the bottom of a ladder, and on a reload I'd be at the top, and stuck in place.

dwazegek posted:

Yeah, I have the same problem. But in this specific case, one of the spitfires is directly in front of you as you enter the room.

Made no difference to that fight, for me; I saw the Geth Primes, and a red mist came down :haw:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

AndyElusive posted:

Another reason why I should have played an Infiltrator for my Insanity run rather than my casual run.

And yup, when the Reaper fires its cannon the beam will burn through everything that's in its path, including your squad mates.

I spent almost the entirety of that fight hiding behind a good old red telephone box :britain: And then the Banshees showed up.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
I found the rocket launcher, used it on the first (single) banshee and then cursed myself a bit later when 3 of them appeared at once.

I also spent a significant part of the fight running back and forth between Garrus and Javik resurrecting one of them only to have the other one die. Cloak is insanely useful sometimes.

I don't know why I didn't just use medigel. I'm so used to conserving it that I kinda forget that I have the stuff.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

magimix posted:

I spent almost the entirety of that fight hiding behind a good old red telephone box :britain:

What's up with all the red phone boxes anyway? I don't think there's that many of them around Westminster anyway and its the future. Does it contain a Space Phone? Or is it still copper wired?

That said, there's still a crown on them so the Queen/King may still be around. Provided a Reaper didn't laser Buckingham Palace or something. :britain:

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
I've read that you can't get the "perfect" ending on a single playthrough and either need to import a ME 2 or 3 save with a 4000+ EMS rating or need to beat the game again on a new game+ run. Is this true?

How would I know what the EMS rating is for my ME 2 import save?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Bruce Leroy posted:

I've read that you can't get the "perfect" ending on a single playthrough and either need to import a ME 2 or 3 save with a 4000+ EMS rating or need to beat the game again on a new game+ run. Is this true?

you're over-thinking things.

you can't check the EMS of an ME2 import save before you play ME3 with it. Decisions such as the collector base, the heretic geth, a few things in me1 and 2 will change your over-all EMS score but not enough that you can't get well over 5,000-6,000+ points by being very completionist and doing side-quests and scanning in ME3.

You may want to raise your galactic readiness level to at least 70% through multiplayer to ensure you're beyond 4,000+ points, but you don't even need to really do that if you do every single side-quest and a large batch of scanning.

You check your EMS aboard the normandy, in the war-room.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

dwazegek posted:

Huh, really? Does the Reaper kill them all when he lasers them?

I just said "gently caress it", activated cloak and leisurely strolled over to the button without even attempting to take them all out.

Horde-type things I usually breeze through without too much trouble. This one I panic-sprinted straight past absolutely everything and smashed the button the first chance I got.

The only other time I've had this is in Halo ODST when you're falling back up the hill towards the ONI building.

I'm not sure what was more intense.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'm reasonably certain that there simply aren't enough points in the game to get a EMS of 4000+ without increasing your Galactic Readiness.

At 50% you'd need 8000 points, and there's only 8635 total points in the game, of which quite a few are mutually exclusive. From what I can tell everyone's attempts to maximize TMS top out at around 7000 points.

You can't really tell how many points you'd get from an import without tallying up all the effects your choices have, and I don't think anyone has made a comprehensive list yet.

ME3 NG+ imports don't give you extra points.

You could just use a save editor to give yourself extra points though.

edit:

Banjodark posted:

You may want to raise your galactic readiness level to at least 70% through multiplayer to ensure you're beyond 4,000+ points, but you don't even need to really do that if you do every single side-quest and a large batch of scanning.

Getting a Total Military Strength of 6000+ isn't difficult at all, but an Effective Military Strength of 4000 isn't possible without doing multiplayer (as fas as I can tell).

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 27, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Maybe they'll patch out the EMS mechanic at some point, so a year from now, should no-one be playing the MP anymore, I won't find myself having to grind out EMS via solo-ing Bronze challenges :shepface: (Or I'll pull my saves off the 360 and modify them if possible)

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I posted about Xbox live disconnecting during the game checking for DLC/saves/etc, and lost all of my achievement progress. After starting a new game, I found that all of my squad powers I had earned are gone. What's worse, is the game seems to think they are unlocked (like achievements) and so for any new game I play, I can't unlock any of them.

Fortunately, I started an Adept playthrough with a level 30 Shepard just before the glitch, and went with warp ammo. :stare:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Eh, it's no big deal, there's only minor variations in the endings anyway and the only endings you can't get without increasing galactic readiness are the 2 "Shep lives" endings, both of which amount to 5 seconds of extra footage that you could also just view on youtube.

And there's also the possibility that future DLC might add enough assets to push you over the 8000 point boundary.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Houdini posted:

Fortunately, I started an Adept playthrough with a level 30 Shepard just before the glitch, and went with warp ammo. :stare:
warp ammo sounds so great on paper, then I realised that I haven't used my gun on my adept since the opening sequence with Anderson.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Eh, it's no big deal, there's only minor variations in the endings anyway and the only endings you can't get without increasing galactic readiness are the 2 "Shep lives" endings, both of which amount to 5 seconds of extra footage that you could also just view on youtube.

And there's also the possibility that future DLC might add enough assets to push you over the 8000 point boundary.

True enough, and if I can stop myself caring, it won't be an issue. Will just have to see how it pans out over time :) They just need to add a terminal somewhere that allows you to 'hire mercenaries', and make some of the SP combat side-missions repeatable :haw:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Houdini posted:

I posted about Xbox live disconnecting during the game checking for DLC/saves/etc, and lost all of my achievement progress. After starting a new game, I found that all of my squad powers I had earned are gone. What's worse, is the game seems to think they are unlocked (like achievements) and so for any new game I play, I can't unlock any of them.

Yeah I had a weird message like yours, and it reset my ME3 achievements, kind of. My point values and unlocked number reported correctly, but viewing the achievements they were all locked. I'm not sure when it happened but it was right around when I started a new game, although I got to keep my squad powers. I've been unlocking most of them again during my second playthrough, but there's a couple that won't unlock again, like "overload 100 guys" or whatever that one is, and a couple other super basic ones. I don't care about achievements really but having slightly broken stuff bothers me. :[

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Just promote a shitload of dudes and it will never be an issue. My N7 squad is worth 1025 war assets now, it might be mathematically impossible to get the worst ending, I have no idea what the minimum WA you can get in SP is.

edit: doing Mass Effect 1 so I can have a Shepard named Lola, and holy poo poo you can be such a dick on Noveria. Bullied Lorik Quinn into testifying with renegade option, then went and got Anoleias and Parisini to shoot each other, then shook Quinn down for money even though his evidence is now useless.

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 27, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Nucular Carmul posted:

edit: doing Mass Effect 1 so I can have a Shepard named Lola

:psyduck:

Allowing Jimmy to call me that was the worst decision I ever made.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nucular Carmul posted:

Just promote a shitload of dudes and it will never be an issue. My N7 squad is worth 1025 war assets now, it might be mathematically impossible to get the worst ending, I have no idea what the minimum WA you can get in SP is.
I think the cutoff for the worst ending is around 2k, which is actually kinda hard to get (just like killing off everyone in ME2 actually takes a bit of thought).

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

dwazegek posted:

:psyduck:

Allowing Jimmy to call me that was the worst decision I ever made.
I'm thinking it will be funny to me in the same way it was funny to people to name their Shep "Commander" and suspend their disbelief that anyone would actually call a kid that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Shepard" is another good first name. There's also the ever-popular "German".

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

It also means that you'd have to center a playthrough around James in order to get the most out of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nucular Carmul posted:

I'm thinking it will be funny to me in the same way it was funny to people to name their Shep "Commander" and suspend their disbelief that anyone would actually call a kid that.

I prefer naming your KOTOR character "Darth Malak", which makes the game very confused. I can't be Darth Revan! I'm Darth Malak!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

dwazegek posted:

It also means that you'd have to center a playthrough around James in order to get the most out of it.

I'm going to be a Vanguard for this run so I will be using him the whole time and activating his Carnage and my Charge at the same time and race to see which can pulp the enemy :colbert:

edit: That crying Bugs Bunny banner that says "The ends are bad" never fails to crack me up.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Shepard" is another good first name. There's also the ever-popular "German".

"Leopard".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

edit: That crying Bugs Bunny banner that says "The ends are bad" never fails to crack me up.

That had me laughing for a while too. It was inspired by the latest goon-favourite webcomic, discussed in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467407&pagenumber=1

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nucular Carmul posted:

I'm going to be a Vanguard for this run so I will be using him the whole time and activating his Carnage and my Charge at the same time and race to see which can pulp the enemy :colbert:

Whoa, someone bought a banner? If it has Bugs Bunny on it, I presume its poking fun, rather than being a serious rage-banner? :haw: I've not been following the debate in the spoiler thread (I am at peace with the ending, and my thoughts on it, and am now focused on all the other playthroughs I want to to), but according the Mass Effect section I have in my Google News, the whole affair just keeps on trucking.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
If you finished the game more than 3 days ago and are still passionate about the endings you might be a redneck nerd.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

magimix posted:

Whoa, someone bought a banner?

(Is it image leeching if it's an SA ad on SA servers?)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nucular Carmul posted:

If you finished the game more than 3 days ago and are still passionate about the endings you might be a redneck nerd.

You mean the person that finished their 28th ME2 run (and their 24th Insanity run) in the lead-up to ME3 might be a nerd? I'm shocked. Shocked! However will I look myself in the mirror again? (Ans: I stopped being able to look into a mirror years ago, so its no longer an issue)

Edit: Well that teaches me not to read properly; I thought you said 'game', rather than, 'endings'. :doh:

skoolmunkee posted:

(Is it image leeching if it's an SA ad on SA servers?)

I feel like there should be some manner of emoticon too.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

I feel like there should be some manner of emoticon too.

I think we've got enough ME smileys already.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

magimix posted:

You mean the person that finished their 28th ME2 run (and their 24th Insanity run) in the lead-up to ME3 might be a nerd? I'm shocked.

When are you going to get drunk and play multiplayer with us again

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Do ME3 side missions only involve collecting stupid artifacts from planets and killing hordes of Cerberus dudes in sepia-toned/rocky desolate planets?

This game is the DA2 of Mass Effects, and it makes me so sad.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Paino posted:

Do ME3 side missions only involve collecting stupid artifacts from planets and killing hordes of Cerberus dudes in sepia-toned/rocky desolate planets?

This game is the DA2 of Mass Effects, and it makes me so sad.

The N7 missions are pretty much that, the other side missions (Grissom Academy, Jacob's Merry Mutineers, etc) are a bit more involved.

That said, the squad mate interactions in (or after) side missions are better than they were in ME2, and the missions themselves aren't as disconnected from the main story, so I'm quite OK with it.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

When are you going to get drunk and play multiplayer with us again

Well, drunk multiplayer would need to wait until the end of the week. Sober, well-spoken (if not well *played* :haw: ) multiplayer - any time I might otherwise be in the SP, and get an invite. I'll just need to sleep less in order not to eat into single-player time :cripes:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And it doesn't suffer from recycled environments either.

I think it's the best game in the series, possibly even including the ending.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's the best game in the series, possibly even including the ending.

I should probably review the list sometime, to get a feel for the balance of 'types' of mission. Assuming any mission that doesn't have 'Priority' at the start of its name is a side mission, then its a mix of N7s (the 5 that use the MP maps), collectathons, and the more meaty stuff (Grissom, etc). I'd be curious to see the numbers.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm sorry? It's like they have 2-3 planet templates and roll with those.

Sepia-toned, rocky planets, grey-white indoors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Paino posted:

I'm sorry? It's like they have 2-3 planet templates and roll with those.
That's not the same as reusing the exact same buildings over and over again (like ME1 or DA2).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

I should probably review the list sometime, to get a feel for the balance of 'types' of mission. Assuming any mission that doesn't have 'Priority' at the start of its name is a side mission, then its a mix of N7s (the 5 that use the MP maps), collectathons, and the more meaty stuff (Grissom, etc). I'd be curious to see the numbers.

6 N7 missions
8 Side missions
And a whole bunch of collection stuff.

And there's the 2 minor missions on the citadel if you imported a ME2 save with Kasumi and/or Zaeed alive.

I'm counting the 2 non-priority missions on Rannoch as side missions, because they're not marked as "Priority", and you only need to do one of them in order to advance the plot (and it doesn't matter which one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Sombrerotron posted:

Depends on what you'd call "game-breaking". ME3 seems to suffer from more minor bugs than ME2, but at least you don't run the constant risk of being rendered permanently immobile by standing in a place that causes Shepard to be levitated to a fixed position in the air. The scant few times I've actually seen Shepard suddenly develop floating powers in ME3 never necessitated a reload, because I could still move and Shepard would just gently float down to the ground again when I did.

Just last night I headed to the cockpit of the Normandy to engage in some witty banter with Joker. It wasn't even a dialogue cutscene, it was just the dialogue across the top. As soon as I initiated the dialogue with Joker, I was stuck. Couldn't move, so I had to reload (which wasn't a huge deal, it had just autosaved after a mission).

There are a few bugs but yeah, not as bad as ME2. I hated the ME2 bug where holding Shift to pause the game, and then dragging hotbar skills to different buttons would lockup the game around 50% of the time :argh:

And Conrad Verner who, no matter how hard I tried to convince him otherwise, refused to believe I had not actually pulled a gun on him in ME1.

Elysiume posted:

This is a Mass Effect 2 question. I was looking into what happens to some characters in ME3, and it turns out Kelly Chambers doesn't show up unless you did her minor romance tree from what I can tell. I think I may have chosen the middle ground of formality in the first little bit of the game, and the romance options don't seem to be showing up. Is there any way to fix that?

Unrelated, but getting the Viper after the Widow is just sad.

If memory serves, no, you're screwed. There's one trigger dialogue choice, something along the lines of "So you like aliens", and she goes on about liking all species and such. I think if you missed it, it's gone.

SiliconX fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 27, 2012

• Locked thread