Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Milkcat
Jul 25, 2009

Macaluso posted:

How big would you say is too big for an adventure map? I don't want it to be like the original water temple, where it ran badly for people.

You should think like this:

Is the size complementary to the adventure?
Does it bother 'me' when playing it?
It took me an hour to finnish.. It might be that 50kx50k isn't really realistic playtime/size wise.

Also if you have people traveling eg. from city to city. make note of it that having a little space (in case they're morons and get lost) makes it all the more realistic.. as far as a square universe is realistic obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I've been looking more at Hardcore mode; I didn't realize (or didn't pay attention) when it was mentioned that they modified the core server and the clients to get this working. Is this really not possible in bukkit? Health can be shown in the tab list, and I'm pretty sure potions/healing can be hooked in to.

I'll poke around the API some more; this isn't worth doing for me if you can't post a leader board or the players have to jump a bunch of hoops (ie install client mods) to get it to work.

[edit]EntityRegainHealthEvent should let me trap heals and adjust properly. I wonder why they wrote it as a direct server/client mod?

fondue fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 26, 2012

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I have an established server where several players play. I don't want to eliminate their hard work but I would like to add some jungles, which my world is entirely missing. Is there any current way to swap out a biome? Maybe convert something into a jungle?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Minecraft continues to amaze me, with things like this huge....well...look at it!

I've seen a lot of these but never one this...huge and open.

EDIT: Fun fact, I died in this world by jumping into some deep water.....right next to a creeper. I believe my exact words were "Wheeeeeeee! MOTHERF-"

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2012

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

JamSessionEin posted:

This is great, I wish I could build things this big that look so good. Did you do it by hand or use an editing program?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

BitBasher posted:

I have an established server where several players play. I don't want to eliminate their hard work but I would like to add some jungles, which my world is entirely missing. Is there any current way to swap out a biome? Maybe convert something into a jungle?

Generate a new singleplayer map using -1254484190 as your seed, stop your server temporarily, download the multiplayer map, copy and paste in jungle from one map to the other in a spot where players have yet to build stuff using MCEdit, then re-upload your map.

Done.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

EricFate posted:

Generate a new singleplayer map using -1254484190 as your seed, stop your server temporarily, download the multiplayer map, copy and paste in jungle from one map to the other in a spot where players have yet to build stuff using MCEdit, then re-upload your map.

Done.

MCEdit has been updated to the new map format?

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
The latest episodes of the ultra hardcore series were great fun to watch, especially Vintagebeef's and kurtjmac's. I suggest watching kurt's video first and beef's right afterwards, some of the dynamics of the encounter are hilarious (I watched the other way around). I have a feeling Guude is going to win, but drat he's needlessly turtling at his home.

After being introduced to this game mode via these videos, I'd love to do a goon round or two sometime. I think recording would only work well if all the goons in game pretty much knew each other already.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

mp3bc posted:

The latest episodes of the ultra hardcore series were great fun to watch, especially Vintagebeef's and kurtjmac's. I suggest watching kurt's video first and beef's right afterwards, some of the dynamics of the encounter are hilarious (I watched the other way around). I have a feeling Guude is going to win, but drat he's needlessly turtling at his home.

After being introduced to this game mode via these videos, I'd love to do a goon round or two sometime. I think recording would only work well if all the goons in game pretty much knew each other already.

I watched kurt and beef's videos side by side (watch a minute or two of kurt's with beef's paused, then watch a minute or two of beef's, etc) and it was awesome

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah Beef and Kurt's video were so great. Kurt is just hilarious how paranoid and schizo he is then when he enters combat mode he just shuts up and turns into a killing machine.

The paranoia from the two afterward was just hilarious.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

mp3bc posted:

I've been actually trying to think of a way I could simplify and shorten a minecraft life so I could convince my friends to play with me. I'm even considering writing a mod, but my Java is not to awesome...

My big plan (which is beyond my coding skill)

-Generate your different maps and use a mod to define a play area in each.
-Each area could have a different generation style. Islands, Pangean, Desert/Jungle only etc.
-Each area would be big enough to accomodate 4-8 players. Based on those videos, I think 1500-2000sq would be ok
-Each area would contain a number of predetermined spawn points, trying to keep each spawn balanced
-Upon death, you respawn in the hub and are restricted from leaving until the current round ends.
- 90-120 minute rounds
-Once a new round begins, a random "arena" is selected and players are spawned randomly inside of it.
-Once each arena has been played once, simply reload the chunks for each arena and they are good to go.

This imaginary mod would simplify all of that, but it's all easily done without a mod if you have some friends willing to cooperate. I'm not sure I could actually convince enough of my friends to sit down to something like this without resorting to a bribe. I'll probably still make the map, but it won't be that useful without an easy way to handle random player spawning. The way they used in the videos is fine for their purposes, but it's far from ideal.

The best way to do the map, that I've come up with, is to use the Multiverse mod. Get your different worlds, and set up a bunch of Multiverse portals as the spawn points. Have a set of portals in the hub world, and to begin the round, have each player select a portal to spawn in. These can be easily shuffled between rounds by an admin. You can even use the same portals in the hub world to go to every different world you have setup, since this method requires you change portals manually.

Now that I've typed all that out, maybe their method is way better than mine...

edit: I'm gonna sperg some more about this
It would also be interesting to livecast a game like this, with several invisible camera operators checking out the different players. You could also include a dynmap feed, so spectators can see the whole map with player locations. Once players start to dwindle, you can use the Truman Show/Hunger games method of divine intervention to force players closer to each other.

edit edit: I saw Fondue's posts after I wrote all this up. You're doing god's work. If I end up doing any maps, and you get this server up, I'll send em your way.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 27, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just started watching those Ultra Hardcore vids. Baj's commentary is pretty entertaining (especially considering he had to stand around and literally watch wheat grow for almost an entire video). Too bad it looks like he's about to die, but drat, he really got screwed over as far as starting positions go, didn't he?

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
I watched beef's video first and was wondering what the hell those weird L-shaped structures were above ground at the end of the video. Then I realized that they were from kurt trying to pillar away from the skeletons when he was at a half heart :D.

This is seriously entertaining stuff, honestly I hope Baj wins as a dark horse or something but I highly doubt Guude mess up much at all. There's always the phantom creeper threat to worry about, just look at BdoubleO.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zoe posted:

Just started watching those Ultra Hardcore vids. Baj's commentary is pretty entertaining (especially considering he had to stand around and literally watch wheat grow for almost an entire video). Too bad it looks like he's about to die, but drat, he really got screwed over as far as starting positions go, didn't he?

You know, I really wish Minecraft's netcode was even halfway decent because everyone's so scared of skeletons and zombies that they have to do silly things like that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

BitBasher posted:

MCEdit has been updated to the new map format?

Yes, it was updated about 17 seconds after it went open source.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I thought they fixed the incongruous chunk edges in terrain generation?

I am using TestCraft that was generated as a 1.2.3 SSP world, and uploaded to a 1.2.3 SMP server.

Locally, I also have an unedited version of TestCraft. New areas of the SMP world do not match the SSP world.

Since the 1.2.4 update, SMP has gone off. Could this be something to do with the server jar?

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
I wish there was someone that could record from everyone and view the map top-down and commentate (or just someone splicing all of the videos together, cutting between exciting moments). I love these guys but 4 hours every few days is a lot of time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What's really great about the Hardcore series is the timing of everything. It's absolutely amazing how Pause and Ethos entered the Nether one after another. Then a short time later, Beef enters and exits, only to come out of Pause's portal at the same time Pause and Kurt are fighting above him.

Watching Pause's videos up to that point and him exploring those caves and getting used to the monster sounds, knowing they can't get to him, and then Beef going through and being freaked out by them is amusing. And then Kurt using Pause's base, unaware that Beef is sneaking up the stairs behind him... until his wolf growls.

It's genuinely really cool how these videos naturally tell a story. I hope they post a map at some point that shows where they each spawned, and maybe someone with some time on their hands can track their paths or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jamesman posted:

What's really great about the Hardcore series is the timing of everything. It's absolutely amazing how Pause and Ethos entered the Nether one after another. Then a short time later, Beef enters and exits, only to come out of Pause's portal at the same time Pause and Kurt are fighting above him.

Watching Pause's videos up to that point and him exploring those caves and getting used to the monster sounds, knowing they can't get to him, and then Beef going through and being freaked out by them is amusing. And then Kurt using Pause's base, unaware that Beef is sneaking up the stairs behind him... until his wolf growls.

It's genuinely really cool how these videos naturally tell a story. I hope they post a map at some point that shows where they each spawned, and maybe someone with some time on their hands can track their paths or something.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah the ultra hardcore is fantastic, almost makes me want some interactive 8 person live view that I can pick and choose who I want to watch at once.

Here's a map of the stating positions by the way I found on Reddit.

http://i.solidfiles.net/2be6ef2565.png

It's a big image!

I don't think I can track their paths, but here's the map.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If you venture to Reddit /r/Mindcrack has had several people posting images with tracking on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jamesman posted:

It's genuinely really cool how these videos naturally tell a story.

Is there going to be a highlights edit put together? I don't think I have enough time to watch all of this, but 2-3 minutes of good footage per half hour could make for an interesting 30-40 minute video. Sort of virtual reality TV... or something.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Count me in as the 1,000th person interested in the hardcore game

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Me too. I lost all motivation to play after dying and losing a lot of stuff on a hardcore server the other day; a fresh start on something similar would be a real treat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This series is the greatest thing. I just watched Kurt's episode 4, and I just keep loving it, especially rewatching an encounter through someone else's POV.

EDIT: vvvv An excellent idea. Goons! We have enough demand, and enough people who are very good (or even passable) LPers to get our own series off the ground.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 27, 2012

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed though, I thought they would use a map that was solely a huge island, sort of like Lost. Would make much more sense.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I was pondering ways to make a hardcore game interesting earlier. This kind of last-man-standing scenario could benefit from Battle Royale-style "danger zones" – more and more chunks of the map become dangerous to stay in for too long as the game progresses, gradually forcing surviving players into the same small area. I don't know anything about writing server plugins though so I don't have any practical ideas of how to do something like that in an intuitive way v:shobon:v

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mammal Sauce posted:

I was pondering ways to make a hardcore game interesting earlier. This kind of last-man-standing scenario could benefit from Battle Royale-style "danger zones" – more and more chunks of the map become dangerous to stay in for too long as the game progresses, gradually forcing surviving players into the same small area. I don't know anything about writing server plugins though so I don't have any practical ideas of how to do something like that in an intuitive way v:shobon:v

I'm thinking that some chunks would just start to be consumed in flames... that would at least give it a really amped-up apocalyptic feel to it all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Colonel J posted:

I'm a bit disappointed though, I thought they would use a map that was solely a huge island, sort of like Lost. Would make much more sense.

Have people spawn at different points on the coast. The center of the island is a very resource-rich mountain, that would be fought over in a sort of King of the Hill way.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Revol posted:

Have people spawn at different points on the coast. The center of the island is a very resource-rich mountain, that would be fought over in a sort of King of the Hill way.

Yup, just like a good Starcraft/Command & Conquer map.

I wonder if someone can set up a server for short games? Like 1-2 hours long? That way you log in, see the timer and wait for a spot, then rush off and try to win. This would be great for those of us who don't have the time to dedicate like 8 hours at a time.

Someone mentioned a couple pages back about what gunpowder can be used for - is there a mod that allows you to make dynamite arrows? So you basically have a gun?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What would be a safe buffer-zone for inserting a player into an ultra-hardcore game? Would just out of vision be sufficient or would you want to throw in an extra 50/100 blocks of separation?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest that might be interesting is an adventure map setup, with all the usual rules about only being able to break certain kinds of blocks. The only supplies would be in chests, with most of the good stuff hidden away or guarded by monsters and traps. It could be either a straight PvP thing, or else being the first one to collect X amount of [item] and get it to a special location...which I'm sure would also involve a lot of murder.

(a free for all on something like the Canopy Carnage map would be awesome)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

krushgroove posted:

Someone mentioned a couple pages back about what gunpowder can be used for - is there a mod that allows you to make dynamite arrows? So you basically have a gun?

There's Elemental Arrows, which lets you basically shoot tnt out of your bow.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

fondue posted:

What would be a safe buffer-zone for inserting a player into an ultra-hardcore game? Would just out of vision be sufficient or would you want to throw in an extra 50/100 blocks of separation?

At least farther than Far render distance, however much that is. I'm pretty sure an extra buffer would be required.

Zoe posted:

One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest that might be interesting is an adventure map setup, with all the usual rules about only being able to break certain kinds of blocks. The only supplies would be in chests, with most of the good stuff hidden away or guarded by monsters and traps. It could be either a straight PvP thing, or else being the first one to collect X amount of [item] and get it to a special location...which I'm sure would also involve a lot of murder.

(a free for all on something like the Canopy Carnage map would be awesome)

Why not a scavenger hunt with PVP on, respawns allowed? Hide a bunch of stuff around an island, in mazes or behind traps, give a list to the players (same list for each), each of them has a locked chest where they have to store what they found. Person who accumulated the most items wins!

Anyone know of a good huge-island seed?

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 27, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

After an incredibly successful exploration of a nearby ravine, I came back to find these two guys playing outside my fortress, so I decided to make them my new watchdogs. :)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Is this the same TestCraft map everyone else is using?

If so, where's the village? I've looked all over and can't find it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
The best part of the hardcore series for me is how everyone assumes that everyone else has some masterful strategy and is just biding their time manipulating them...when in reality they're all just running around trying to survive and freaking out at every little noise.

The series would probably be twice as interesting to watch if Minecraft had decent combat :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
do cats/wolfs not take fall damage if tamed? I'm scared of scaling mountains in case they throw themselves off steep areas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This whole series is the best example of :munch: I've seen in a while. My favourite order is, without having seen them all, Ethos -> Pause -> Kurt -> VintageBeef. Watching Guude show us all how survival is done, now.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Avocados posted:

do cats/wolfs not take fall damage if tamed? I'm scared of scaling mountains in case they throw themselves off steep areas.

Dogs take fall damage, but they tend to teleport to you a lot, especially if you're not looking at them. I think cats take fall damage too, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Avocados posted:

Wolves do, but cats don't. Cats do, however, delight in shoving you off of thin mountain ledges.