Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I beat L.A. Noire and decided to work on something simpler... Beat.Trip.Runner

I think I'll have to null this one. The level that started after the first boss has so much poo poo going on in the background that it makes me feel nauseous... Which only happened once before (sprinting in Dead Island).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hemish posted:

I beat L.A. Noire and decided to work on something simpler... Beat.Trip.Runner

I think I'll have to null this one. The level that started after the first boss has so much poo poo going on in the background that it makes me feel nauseous... Which only happened once before (sprinting in Dead Island).
BTR has the most irritating problem of making you start over every time you gently caress up at all. I just couldn't play it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Colon V posted:

BTR has the most irritating problem of making you start over every time you gently caress up at all. I just couldn't play it.

I just nulled it. This is a small part of the reason. The background was annoying in the first levels and starting from the beginning too. When I beat the boss and discovered it had more levels I was a bit miffed.

Then I started playing the first level after the first boss and couldn't make the difference between the background and the foreground and now my vision is all blurry.

I just installed the Blackwell Legacy. Maybe some old school point and click adventure gaming goodness will help! This genre was my favorite when I was young.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
edit: wrong steam thread. :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2012

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Not Steam-related, after a year of owning and never playing it, I finally beat Final Fantasy XIII. Not bad, but not great. Really it was just in preparation for Xenoblade coming out and the fear that no other JRPG will ever live up to it. Playing through Persona 4 now.

On the Steam side of things, I'm trying to play through games that I can listen to podcasts whilst playing. So far I've beaten Torchlight. Torchlight was good, though I followed the advice to start on Hard mode and that bit me in the rear end later on. The last boss was an absolute pain. Moved on to Spellforce 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Beat Deus Ex, the Original, all three endings. Rough, ugly, but what a game, what a game.

Also beat Modern Warfare 2. Fun trip for my first Call of Duty game, but I imagine if they are all like this it would become tiresome after a while.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I think I finally "Beat" Kreedz Climbing, in that I've completed every non-race stock map in the game. It's fun as hell, and since someone mentioned podcasts, It's really great for that and music too.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Beat Orcs Must Die. I even went back and tried to get 5 skulls on all the levels, which went from laughably easy to ball-bustingly hard. (loving Chokepoint.) I also tried playing a little bit on Nightmare difficulty, which pretty much lived up to it's name. But I beat the campaign on normal difficulty, so that puts it in the beaten category.

I also beat The Wonderful End of the World. That took about 3 hours. It's one of those games I picked up in a bundle on Steam. Really no reason to recommend it, unless somebody really feels the urge to play a Katamari game on PC. Only without a lot of the charm, or the ease of play.

Since I still have the itch to play more tower defense games, I'm giving Unstoppable Gorg a shot.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Because I was too busy playing doom in '95 (I regret nothing). I finally decided to dive into the original X-COM I picked up in a package deal probably years ago.

My god, its awesome. I'm sucked in for hours at a time wondering what awesome gear I'll be able to research and build next or what horrors await me at the next terror spawn.

I forgot how much game you could sqeeze out of 16 megs, Its really one of the best games I've ever played. Despite never getting into xcom before spring 2012 I'm jazzed for the firaxis reboot now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Finally played through the Battlefield 3 single player and :barf:

Good lord that was lovely. I mean yeah the graphics were amazing and the sound design is out of this world but the story and gameplay were so goddamn lovely. I don't know why they didn't take that engine and just make something light and fun while also showing off how nice to looks like in the first Bad Company. Ugh.

Also beat Dungeon Siege 3 and while I had a ton of issues with it in the end I enjoyed it more than I hated it and I kind of want to play it again when the expansion goes on sale. Maybe. We'll see.

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009
Started using Fortune Cookie on Backloggery to knock out some games.

First game it gave me was Wasteland Angel that I picked up in some random indie pack. I really have nothing nice to say about this game. The controls were bad, it was extremely repetitive, I consistently got stuck on the environment and the boss fights were more frustrating then anything if not really that hard. I wouldn't recommend it at any price even to people who like top down car shooters.

Then it gave me Orcs Must Die which I had gotten halfway done with twice cause I lost my saves twice. Its a good first person tower defense game with great atmosphere and character. I'd recommend it to any TD fans and the only knocks against it are length and lack of multiplayer but at the price you can pick it up for (I think I payed 2.50 or less for it) its a great little game.

Going to try and knock out as many small games as it throws at me and tackle bigger game while I do so cause I still have a ways to go.

noredeemer
Nov 15, 2011
Oh dear, just when I thought i'm finally done buying games and working on my backlog I get 2 Dota 2 beta keys.. which ended with me trading for Dustforce along with the entire Indie Face Kick Bundle which I forced myself not to buy.

I have shamed thee, Steam Anonymous. :smithicide: My backlog will never be complete, drat you Gabe. Stop giving me free things!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ReadMyMind posted:

First game it gave me was Wasteland Angel that I picked up in some random indie pack. I really have nothing nice to say about this game. The controls were bad, it was extremely repetitive, I consistently got stuck on the environment and the boss fights were more frustrating then anything if not really that hard. I wouldn't recommend it at any price even to people who like top down car shooters.

Yeah I started playing this last night and goddamn is it poo poo on every level. No idea if I'll be patient enough to beat it, as short as it appears to be.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I started playing this last night and goddamn is it poo poo on every level. No idea if I'll be patient enough to beat it, as short as it appears to be.

I honestly couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss, how the do you do that?? It might be poo poo, but it seems beatable and that alone just makes me want to beat it.

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

Azruelli posted:

I honestly couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss, how the do you do that?? It might be poo poo, but it seems beatable and that alone just makes me want to beat it.

All the bosses have to be beaten with the superweapon you get in their stage first one was the napalm one I believe. Basically just don't get hit by the boss, kill any adds that show up to get their superweapon drops and then spam the napalm around the boss while driving around in circles basically while hoping the boss drives into the superweaon. Its boring as hell, you have to rely on the boss to drive into the superweapons path and each boss ends up being a variation of this cept the last one who you actually get to attack directly but only for a short period. Its a relatively short game but god I just wanted it to end as soon as I saw the game never changes or gets better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Azruelli posted:

What ReadMyMind said, it actually tells you right at the beginning of the fight SAVE NAPALMS TO BEAT THE BOSS!!

It's easy as gently caress. You beat like 9 waves of the same enemies, collect a dozen napalms in the process and then all you do is drive in front of the slow-rear end boss about four times with napalm on and he dies. And then you get to play quite possibly the worst bonus stage ever because it goes on until you die and the game is piss easy.

Susat
May 31, 2011

That's weird because I tried that, but it didn't seem like it was doing anything so I gave up. I guess I'll try it again. Thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddammit.

Just picked up Tropico 3: Gold Edition on GamersGate, because it was on special for $6. Haven't beaten anything recently, either. I kind of hit a wall in Sequence on Floor 5. It just takes too much damage over too short a period of time, and I can't beat any of the learn-new-spell challenges, so I'm kinda stuck. Considering just Nulling it now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat Stacking and its DLC. Lost Hobo King was really short and simple compared to most of the rest of the game but still just as charming. I'll most likely be dipping back into that at some point to try and figure out the rest of the puzzles. What a nice relaxing little game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to a mishap in one of the dungeons, I've just completed Might and Magic 3 with my geriatric party of 126 year olds. This had the side effect of the top level sorcerer hireable NPC being 234 years old and who could not sleep without literally dying from old age.

For being 21 years old, MM3 holds up pretty drat well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
...aaand just beat Sonic Generations as well. Not a bad game, though I don't feel like I was ever really comfortable with the "new" sonic levels as the controls are still fairly rear end. Certainly looks nice though and has a bit of charm even with Sonic and all of this retarded and terrible friends. How can such a great villain like Eggman Robotnik be paired up against such unlikable, annoying heroes?

I guess I could go back and try to finish all of the 100 or so challenge levels there are but ehhh I highly doubt it. The ones I did do weren't all that fantastic. It also sucked that the first boss fight was the only really good one with the rest just being lovely platforming segments or chase levels. And then you go Super Saiyan with the power of friendship, of course.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
I started Psychonauts and it's pretty fun. Feels like a 3D Nintendo game. It's made me laugh, too.

What I don't like is that the game itself looks loving amazing on my graphics card, but all the cutscenes are pre-rendered and look like blurry poo poo. And you can't adjust the framerate even in the config.ini.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

And then you go Super Saiyan with the power of friendship, of course.
Sonic's been going Super Saiyan since the beginning. I think that kind of gets a pass.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Colon V posted:

Sonic's been going Super Saiyan since the beginning. I think that kind of gets a pass.

I do admit that rehashing The Doomsday Zone over and over and over again is getting a little tiresome. Given the nature of the game, I suppose I gave it a bit of a pass here, though. Of the "actual boss fight" vs "platforming sequence pretending to be a boss fight" vs "chase sequence" stuff, though, I've always preferred the platforming sequence fights - that meant I wound up liking the fight against Perfect Chaos the most of the boss fights.

I also thought that (at least in the first 2/3s or so of the game) that the 3D levels in Generations did a much, much better job of making it so that if you blew a jump on the fastest path, you'd instead fall down into a slower path instead of just dying outright.

It seems like I had less of an issue with the controls compared to Yodzilla - while the missions didn't strike me as very exciting, and I loathe collectathon setups like the Red Rings, I had a lot of fun working out how to S-rank the stages.

All in all, I was pretty :allears: about it, but I can't honestly say how much of it was because...

Yodzilla posted:

Not a bad game

...ends up meaning "Best Sonic game since 1994". While I wouldn't say that I wasted my time playing the GameCube-era games, Generations's take on them was enough better than the originals to mean that I can't imagine revisiting those originals again.

In other news, March was my worst month for my backlog this year:

Beaten from backlog: 3. Zork Zero, Rayman 2, Professor Layton and the Last Specter.
Ragequit: 1. Rayman 3.
Bought, then beaten: 1. Stacking (+ Hobo King DLC).
Newly backlogged: 4. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Mass Effect 3, Batman: Arkham City, Trine 2.[/b]

I guess if I squint a little, I can pretend I'm treading water.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Colon V posted:

Haha really? Man I don't remember that at all. Or maybe I just never beat them as a kid. :v:

ManxomeBromide posted:

It seems like I had less of an issue with the controls compared to Yodzilla - while the missions didn't strike me as very exciting, and I loathe collectathon setups like the Red Rings, I had a lot of fun working out how to S-rank the stages.

Yeah Perfect Chaos was kinda cool just also really, really easy. Egg Dragon was just tedious though and the final boss just stupid and simple.

And as for controls, the issues I had were mostly when in the 3D stages you stopped being in GO FAST mode. It just feels sluggish and the camera is awful for controlling the 3D slow parts. Also while in GO FAST mode the whole powersliding thing was just bad, not that you ever really need to use it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Haha really? Man I don't remember that at all. Or maybe I just never beat them as a kid. :v:
Collecting all 7 Chaos Emeralds was a bitch and a half, yeah.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Crossed Battlefield: Bad Company 2 off the list. The singleplayer was fun, although save points could have been spaced a bit more tightly. It's nice to be able to just unload rockets into an enemy building without getting constantly fragged or worrying that you're letting the team down.

That said, the storyline is :psyduck: in a can, with a weird juxtaposition of present-day weapons and vehicles, sci-fi superweapons, and Cold War era storyline and dialogue ("commie pinko liberals"? Russian black ops teams? Really?).

It was a fun diversion and short enough not to outstay its welcome, but mostly it just made me want to play STALKER, so Call of Pripyat is probably up next.

I also nulled a bunch of games that it's clear I'm never going to play again: World of Goo (which was fun until it took away the undo button), Treasure Adventure Game (which was fun until the timed precision platforming section where the screen distorts and flashes nauseating colours), and Defy Gravity and Crayon Physics Deluxe, which simply don't appeal. I also removed some duplicates.

I've also finished Nier for good, by which I mean played it through one and a half times and then hit youtube for the extra bonus endings. My current go-to PS3 game is Demon's Souls, which is, so far, the perfect calibration of "hard but fair" - I'm three levels in, have died something like fifteen times, and not one of those deaths was unjustified. It's loads of fun.

All of this brings me down to 50.2% incomplete. :negative:

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, in Sonic 2 or 3 you could do that at will once you had all seven Chaos Emeralds; Sonic 3 & Knuckles added an upgraded version that let you double jump and kill things with your mind. It also affected the ending, and has been a feature of pretty much every Sonic game since, even if only in a cutscene.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing around with creating a backloggery alternative.

The basic idea is it's backloggery without the social elements (comments/multitap etc) as I'm completely not interested in that. I guess it would be for those who only use backloggery as a glorified todo list. Automatic importing of steam games is done, it's easy to use, just put in your community profile url and it imports all your games, if the game already exists in your list it will update the hours played. The main thing though is that I wanted more categories, the lack of categories on backloggery has come up a few times in this thread.

So, would anyone think they'll want to use such a site? What categories would you like to see? Any feature requests (keeping in mind it's focused more on being a "todo" list)? It currently has an option to enter hours played and can be updated from steam but I'm thinking of dropping that as I'm not sure if anyone would want to tediously track hours for non-steam games. Also, it's kind of depressing to see :smith:

Anyway, backlog progress: pretty much none. I'm still bitter about not being able to finish Stalker: Clear Sky because of a crash/save game corruption. Spent the weekend playing Path of Exile and also games of Neo Scavenger

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Past 2 weeks :

Beat

The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
Blackwell Convergence
The Dig
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. : Extraction point

Bought

None!

Next

That last F.E.A.R. DLC/Expansion.

I think this is my best 2 weeks yet even if the Blackwell trio was very short (2.2, 2.2 and 3.1 hours). I had to cheat often with The Dig but my goal is to have fun while working on my backlog.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I think it's time to null Scribblenauts. The control issues are exasperating, and the goals for some of the action levels make no sense to me at all. I really wanted to like this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BeanBandit posted:

I think it's time to null Scribblenauts. The control issues are exasperating, and the goals for some of the action levels make no sense to me at all. I really wanted to like this game.
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but if you get a chance, check out Super Scribblenauts. It fixes the control issues, has a much better campaign mode (I think), and you have no idea how much latitude adjectives give you.

Why bother with a helicopter, when you can put on a pair of speedy winged goggles?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Colon V posted:

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but if you get a chance, check out Super Scribblenauts.

Yeah, I've heard that Super Scribblenauts fixes most of the issues I have. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few decades after I clear the rest of my backlog.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just crossed Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, the unofficial Thief expansion, off my backlog.

Verdict: it is drat good. The cutscenes aren't up to Thief quality - not that I hold that against them, that's a drat high bar to clear - but the level design is top notch. Even the undead levels are pretty good.

I felt it went downhill slightly towards the end ("The Grand Hotel" and "The Cure"), but it ended with a short but sweet callback to Into the Maw of Chaos, which puts me in a very forgiving mood. (And honestly, most of my objections to The Grand Hotel come down to how difficult it is to Lytha Ghost; if you're less obsessive it's a great level.)

Overall, I'd recommend it unhesitatingly to anyone who liked The Dark Project and The Metal Age, and would rank it well above Deadly Shadows. If you want more Thief - and who doesn't? - check out T2X.

I know I shouldn't be encouraging people to get even more games, but Thief is awesome and I will fight pickpocket anyone who says differently

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Bought and beat The Saboteur. Might even try and 100% it, albeit gradually so as not to lose my mind.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've managed to fight my way to the Core in Spiral Knights. I'm going to call that "Beaten".

I've also finished Mass Effect 3. Obligatory reaction, spoilered for safety but containing no detailed spoilers, just possibly spoily judgements: Holy crap, the Internet is full of tiny babies. The Internet burned for this? There's a bit of a continuity snarl with one of the endgame's MacGuffins, and the ending is a bit... abrupt, but it's no worse than the ending for a half dozen other games I've played in the past year. Sheesh. Still, I had made this a priority to see if the trainwreck was in the game or in the fandom, and I consider myself answered.

I've finally given in and nulled Frozen Synapse. I've been stuck on this damned elevator mission for something like six months.

I'm burning through Sonic Rush Adventures as something to dispose of between gigantic RPGs. I should be done with that after a day or two; I think I've only got a couple more Acts to go. Once I finish that, I'll only have one DS game left on my backlog (Phantom Hourglass, which I gave up on about 80% of the way through, long ago). This one isn't remotely as good as Generations, though the gameplay isn't actively insulting. The parallels to Phantom Hourglass are hilarious, though.

That said, I've been having a little trouble getting into Fallout 1; not sure yet what it'll take to grab me.

noredeemer
Nov 15, 2011

Azruelli posted:

I think I finally "Beat" Kreedz Climbing, in that I've completed every non-race stock map in the game. It's fun as hell, and since someone mentioned podcasts, It's really great for that and music too.

I remember playing those kz_ maps in CS back in the day. I didn't know they made a mod! Thanks for letting me know.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man I think I'm going to be nulling Hack, Slash, Loot. What a loving terrible game in just about every way.

e: beat Chime too. neat little game but don't have too much of an urge to replay all of the levels over and over again.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 12, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Man I think I'm going to be nulling Hack, Slash, Loot. What a loving terrible game in just about every way.
Care to elaborate?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
We went over this in the Steam thread a bit but basically the game portrays itself as a very simple dungeon crawler/roguelike. Random maps, no inventory besides what you've got equipped, simple graphics and sound, no leveling, character advancement through gear and instant-use items only, and no actions other than attack (ranged or melee depending on the weapon) and move.

You'd think based on that description that it'd be a charming little time waster but that's where you're wrong. In making the game as simple as possible all strategy has been sucked out of it. In battle there's no blocking, no running, no nothing save for pressing attack over and over again while the dice roll and hope that you kill it before it kills you. Since there's no inventory and no potions or anything regaining health is entirely dependent on finding scrolls in chests littered throughout the rooms. This wouldn't be so bad if the game also weren't completely impossible.

Apparently the designer thought it would be funny to make the default three classes completely useless and impossible to beat any of the scenarios with. Instead you have to unlock the other classes by dying. A lot. And this isn't exactly Half-Minute Hero, these games can take a half-hour or more. If you want to actually play as a decent class you can set a death counter in an XML file to 1000 but come the gently caress on, that shouldn't be necessary.

There are also supposed to be relics you can find in the world that get permanently unlocked and sometimes (but not all of the time!) when you start a new game they give you a buff. But this doesn't always work because the few I've found failed to actually save and unlock.

So what this game boils down to is a slightly more interactive version of Progress Quest but nowhere near as interesting and with a 99% chance that at some point the game is just going to kill you off and make you start over. Honestly I think it might be salvageable with tons of balance patching and tweaking but the super basic nature of it all means the player has absolutely no control over what's going to happen in any given encounter and that loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

I'm considering nulling Bit.Trip Runner, does the game become fun... ever? My biggest issues are that the game is "Unforgiving" and not in the good way, and the fact that adjusting difficulty does seemingly nothing to the game but remove the already optional gold.