Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Silver posted:

But still what? I'll go sit my 200 pound rear end on my helmet right now and still wear it tomorrow to go ride. If it's going to crumple and fold under a miniscule 200 pounds then it's not going to protect my head in some 100mph wreck.

Just sayin.

No, you're absolutely right: it's not like that will just collapse under model butt. But it also wouldn't crumple if you dropped it on the floor now and then, scratched up the surface paint, or did any other manner of careless things. It would still work, but I bet you don't do any of that to the only protection for your brain bucket.

Then again, I'm certainly obsessive about safety gear. Here I am, upset over helmet care in what is clearly a fashion shoot. She doesn't even have helmet hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trabant posted:

No, you're absolutely right: it's not like that will just collapse under model butt. But it also wouldn't crumple if you dropped it on the floor now and then, scratched up the surface paint, or did any other manner of careless things. It would still work, but I bet you don't do any of that to the only protection for your brain bucket.

Then again, I'm certainly obsessive about safety gear. Here I am, upset over helmet care in what is clearly a fashion shoot. She doesn't even have helmet hair.

Quick someone get her a flat brimmed hat to cover her messy hair. I bet you could find one stashed on a nearby supersport under the pillion strap :buddy:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I sit on my helmet kinda often actually. I'm not some 300 pound guy or anything, but I think you're just being neurotic at that point.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Persh posted:

Are you sure you're not part of the BMW :jerkbag: club?
Does this club have a website? I'm already a member of 3 BMW clubs, I don't want to miss out on any more

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum: Phiz Two: Ironic Boogaloo

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

invision posted:

I sit on my helmet kinda often actually. I'm not some 300 pound guy or anything, but I think you're just being neurotic at that point.

I replace mine weekly. How much is your life worth?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

aventari posted:

I replace mine weekly. How much is your life worth?

I've never paid more than $200 for a helmet so cost-averaging it's about $60.71 each year for the 7 years I've been riding.

e:and get this - the helmet I smashed my head into the pavement twice while wearing... I DROPPED IT ON THE GROUND ONCE.

Hell, I even hung it off of my mirrors when I'd park

:smug:

e:I even removed the warning sticker on the chinbar!

invision fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 29, 2012

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=doteMqP6eSc!

short animation: bikes, hover airplane thing, explosions

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I have an unhealthy obsession forming with naked Goldwings. Here's one for $400 that I'm tempted to buy and tinker with it and I don't even ride yet :v:

I guess it's better than my unhealthy "cafe" obsession :confused:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boru posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession forming with naked Goldwings. Here's one for $400 that I'm tempted to buy and tinker with it and I don't even ride yet :v:

I've been into old Hondas for over 2 years now and I still "don't even ride yet" :-/

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boru posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession forming with naked Goldwings.

I do too. But mine is related a masochistic-obsession with wanting to streetfighter one of these:

Although Honda could just build the bloody Evo6 already:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I was looking at one just like that red one today 2nd. All I could think of was how it was bigger than the mini it was next to.

I want one.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I do too. But mine is related a masochistic-obsession with wanting to streetfighter one of these:

Well the power-to-weight-ratio on one of those things would be pretty insane. That is if you could strip off a few hundred pounds from the fatty Goldwings. :hampants:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Don't worry. When I finally finish some of the projects I'm currently working on, a goldwing (GL1800) drag bike will be next.

Boru posted:

Well the power-to-weight-ratio on one of those things would be pretty insane. That is if you could strip off a few hundred pounds from the fatty Goldwings. :hampants:

Trust me, you COULD strip a couple hundred lbs of of one.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 29, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Ducati dirtbike:

From Ducati Bellevue's website

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ola posted:

I've ridden one for 30 minutes in the rain. Didn't really like the sound or vibes from the parallel twin, but not annoying or tiring. Just a little lawnmower-y. Good punchy midrange, decent power in the right spot. It ticks a lot of marks in what I want my next bike to be. Upright style, frugal, not too heavy, available in fun colors. I don't like the lack of centerstand, even option of one. Don't think it's possible to mod one in either.

There is a guy on the Versys forums selling his own homemade center stand kits, so it is possible. The benefit to riding a bike for old dudes is they're all retired and skilled, so there's a bunch of custom made accessories available.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He isn't anymore.

http://www.versyscenterstand.com/

And while I applaud independent efforts, it does seem a bit...much.

More pics here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15803

The Transalp has a centerstand option though.

I think it's a great looking bike. It's in the power range of the Versys, a bit less at 60 HP. But it's a fairly new model and it's not that much money between it and the Tiger 800...

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
It is pretty. I'd ride the poo poo out of it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

He isn't anymore.

http://www.versyscenterstand.com/

And while I applaud independent efforts, it does seem a bit...much.

Nice, cast iron centerstand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ola posted:

The Transalp has a centerstand option though.

I think it's a great looking bike. It's in the power range of the Versys, a bit less at 60 HP. But it's a fairly new model and it's not that much money between it and the Tiger 800...

Any idea how they compare to transalps of the 80's? Those things were pretty much indestructible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Only thing I know about its issues is what I read in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596577

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boru posted:

poo poo, buy it and sell it to me for $600

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

poo poo, buy it and sell it to me for $600

Seriously. Apparently it has 47k miles on it and won't start even with a "new starter installed." :crossarms:

I live in town, and my buddy owns a few extra batteries, so I was considering just lowballing $200 and messing with the thing so I could have it (hopefully) running in May when I get my license. If I can't I'm out a few hundred bucks which would be kind of annoying, but I am really drawn to that big ugly bike for some reason. :downs:

Content:

:gonk:

(more glorious pictures and videos here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17784.0)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Boru posted:

Seriously. Apparently it has 47k miles on it and won't start even with a "new starter installed." :crossarms:

I live in town, and my buddy owns a few extra batteries, so I was considering just lowballing $200 and messing with the thing so I could have it (hopefully) running in May when I get my license. If I can't I'm out a few hundred bucks which would be kind of annoying, but I am really drawn to that big ugly bike for some reason. :downs:

Content:

:gonk:

(more glorious pictures and videos here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17784.0)

I want it! It's even my color AND it has a bottle opener on the side.

I'd buy that for $2-400 and fix it, it can't be but so fubared and even so a part out would net you your investment if it was toast.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Do it. You've also inspired me to get this: running

It's my friend's, but it's been sitting in my parent's garage for a year and he hasn't touched it. It's mine now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, king/queen seats are the worst

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's my friend's, but it's been sitting in my parent's garage for a year and he hasn't touched it. It's mine now.

Hah the sad thing's that those are the exact handlebars I was jokingly considering mounting on my imaginary naked Goldwing. I guess my perverse cafe obsession and Goldwing fascination are morphing into something ever more terrible by the day.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boru posted:

Hah the sad thing's that those are the exact handlebars I was jokingly considering mounting on my imaginary naked Goldwing. I guess my perverse cafe obsession and Goldwing fascination are morphing into something ever more terrible by the day.

Yeah, those will be coming off. Because of the clutch cable routing, it's almost impossible to pull. I'm thinking of either putting the stock bars back on or getting some drag bars or something not so extreme. It's also such a long bike that with the clubman bars I'm basically laying on the tank in riding position.

That's king and king for me baby :wink:

I got a hold of the original owner's voicemail thanks to some internet detective action. Hopefully he gets back to me and I can bring a duplicate title form to him for him to sign :f5:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 29, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Ugh, king/queen seats are the worst

Agreed, but at least it is something easy to change. I would kill love to fix up either one of those bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Atticus_1354 posted:

Agreed, but at least it is something easy to change. I would kill love to fix up either one of those bikes.

Yeah, nothing against that particular XS Eleven, those seats are terrible on any bike.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that seat as comfortable as it looks?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Its 34 year old pleather, so not really. Its very slippery too. I'll probably replace it with a nice single.

Kalev
Dec 8, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Its 34 year old pleather, so not really. Its very slippery too. I'll probably replace it with a nice single.

Yeah, that looks like a recipe for shifting off the seat at a stop and introducing your crotch to the fuel tank.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
MV's new advertising strategy.

Any women offended?

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Sexism? In my advertising?

I think more than just women can be offended by sexist, lovely, faux-edgy advertising there, mootmoot.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Where the hell did you find that ad? And for gently caress's sake people, don't start misogyny chat here of all places.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

TRIGGER WARNING

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Trigger warning category mootmoot: May cause you to blindly fall sideways while attempting to turn the conversation toward a new topic.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

mootmoot posted:

MV's new advertising strategy.

Any women offended?

gently caress yeah, that's awesome.

I would buy one just because the advertising department has balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I think more than just women can be offended by sexist, lovely, faux-edgy advertising there, mootmoot.

Good for you for being so enlightened and sympathetic to the plight of women dude!