Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nilbop posted:

He's just an endlessly transplantable character that's really, really hard to get wrong.

Counter with Superman, who should be as bankable but who people get wrong all the time. Superman Returns, for example.

Yet he was awesome on Justice League, JL, and Superman TAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, certainly the one you're excited for was set up in season 1, but didn't we get burned like this before, with fanart passed off as 'stills'?

And :respek: to FutureBoy. You're thinking of Juan Bobillo. That run on She-Hulk (before they relaunched it again) is probably the best the character's ever been done, visually and narratively.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet he was awesome on Justice League, JL, and Superman TAS.

All overseen by the same dude.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

Spider-Man seems to have had a lot of TV shows. Just how many cartoon shows have featured him? He must be the most bankable superhero ever.

Assuming this isn't rhetorical...

Spider-Man - 1967 animated series - 52 episodes
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - 1981 animated series - 24 episodes
Spider-Man - 1994 animated series - 65 episodes
Spider-Man Unlimited - 1999 animated series - 13 episodes
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - 2003 animated series - 13 episodes
The Spectacular Spider-Man - 2008 animated series - 26 episodes

and now
1.12 Ultimate Spider-Man - 2012 animated series

So far there've been 193 episodes in total, and still counting.

Not to mention the live-action shows he's had.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nilbop posted:

All overseen by the same dude.

I know I was just pointing out that he has been done right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Fixed that. Unless you're counting the Japanese tokusatsu thing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Fixed that. Unless you're counting the Japanese tokusatsu thing?

I counted his NA live action show, the giant robot-racecar-wristwatch Japanese show, and the shorts he had on EC.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Nilbop posted:

He's just an endlessly transplantable character that's really, really hard to get wrong.

Counter with Superman, who should be as bankable but who people get wrong all the time. Superman Returns, for example.

The Punisher is probably the easiest concept in comics and yet no media outside of comics can ever get him right.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

The Punisher is probably the easiest concept in comics and yet no media outside of comics can ever get him right.

That's because it's a concept that's been endlessly trod before someone dreamed up The Punisher.

Well poo poo he's out for revenge.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute. How are Ant-Man and Yellowjacket both there? Unless they're bringing O'Grady in, which just seems odd, since he doesn't really seem the kids' show type. Also, super-pumped for War Machine. :woop:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 29, 2012

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Maybe they'll all Skrulls

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty much the only dude I'm constantly looking for who hasn't shown up is Sentry, but I'm getting the message by now that they've decided not to do him.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Nifty behind the scenes look at Ultimate Spider-Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzGGjC_Rko&feature=player_embedded!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Boris the Blade posted:

Nifty behind the scenes look at Ultimate Spider-Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzGGjC_Rko&feature=player_embedded!

That show looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. And they have a pretty great voice cast it seems. Can't wait.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Lobok posted:

Assuming this isn't rhetorical...

Spider-Man - 1967 animated series - 52 episodes
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - 1981 animated series - 24 episodes
Spider-Man - 1994 animated series - 65 episodes
Spider-Man Unlimited - 1999 animated series - 13 episodes
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - 2003 animated series - 13 episodes
The Spectacular Spider-Man - 2008 animated series - 26 episodes

and now
1.12 Ultimate Spider-Man - 2012 animated series

So far there've been 193 episodes in total, and still counting.

You forgot Spider-Man from 1981 that was 26 episodes.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Deadpool posted:

That show looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. And they have a pretty great voice cast it seems. Can't wait.

The fact that it has two Batman:TAS alums (Paul Dini and Eric Radomski) is more than enough for me.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Spectacular Spider-Man was perfect. There's simply no other way to say it. It was the best the character had ever been outside of the comics. Ultimate Spider-Man has some huge shoes to fill.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 30, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man was perfect. There's simply no other way to say it. It was the best the character had ever been outside of the comics. Ultimate Spider-Man has some huge shoes to fill.

I agree. But it doesn't really have to fill those shoes. It's very obvious that it's a completely different animal. It looks to be more of a fun team show than just another Spider-Man show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FrostedButts posted:

You forgot Spider-Man from 1981 that was 26 episodes.

I didn't know they ran concurrently, that's cool. Like if Batman:TAS had been on the same time as Justice League (unless it was).

And seconding how perfect Spectacular was. That show is a large part of why the Raimi movies barely do anything for me now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

I agree. But it doesn't really have to fill those shoes. It's very obvious that it's a completely different animal. It looks to be more of a fun team show than just another Spider-Man show.
The last Spider-Man team show was "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends," and that show sucked. Spider-Man doesn't need a team. You wanna know why it took so long for Spider-Man to join The Avengers in the comics? Because Spider-Man works best when he has to deal with this superhero poo poo on his own.
Also this show is basically Spectacular's replacement, so yes, it does have to fill those shoes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The last Spider-Man team show was "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends," and that show sucked. Spider-Man doesn't need a team. You wanna know why it took so long for Spider-Man to join The Avengers in the comics? Because Spider-Man works best when he has to deal with this superhero poo poo on his own.
Also this show is basically Spectacular's replacement, so yes, it does have to fill those shoes.

Spider-Man has always been Marvel's favorite character to team up with other characters, partly because he can have chemistry with anyone, and partly because he's their most popular character.

Marvel published a series that was exclusively Spider-Man team-ups. He is the perfect character to put with other characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man has always been Marvel's favorite character to team up with other characters, partly because he can have chemistry with anyone, and partly because he's their most popular character.

Marvel published a series that was exclusively Spider-Man team-ups. He is the perfect character to put with other characters.

Exactly. Spider-Man works as a loner or the ultimate team up guy. Putting him with a team of younger heroes is a good way to go.

And to SpiderHyphenMan, maybe to you it has to fill the shoes of SSM, but it's clearly not even trying to do that. It's trying to be it's own thing. And it should be judged as it's own thing. It's like saying Batman The Brave and The Bold had to fill the shoes of Justice League or Batman The Animated Series. It didn't. It was good for doing it's own thing and not trying to fill the shoes of previous shows that did well and were thought of kindly.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

A Spider-Man style TBATB would make a good show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiderman is the perfect character to interact with on a limited basis, like his friendship with the Fantastic Four and his team up book. But he only works so well like that if the team up is not permanent. Ultimately it is best to keep Spidey on a street level that doesn't work all that well when the avengers are tagging along.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cliff Racer posted:

Spiderman is the perfect character to interact with on a limited basis, like his friendship with the Fantastic Four and his team up book. But he only works so well like that if the team up is not permanent. Ultimately it is best to keep Spidey on a street level that doesn't work all that well when the avengers are tagging along.

Why, though? These aren't truisms.

Spider-Man has a long track record of teaming up. New Avengers is seven years old. And "street level" is a nebulous term that only tries to describe the historical scope of Spider-Man stories and not any potential.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man has a long track record of teaming up. New Avengers is seven years old. And "street level" is a nebulous term that only tries to describe the historical scope of Spider-Man stories and not any potential.

Street-level pretty much means "If Daredevil can beat them up."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

But this team isn't the New Avengers. It's a bunch of C-Listers. It's Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the place of Robin. And that just don't work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But this team isn't the New Avengers. It's a bunch of C-Listers. It's Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the place of Robin. And that just don't work.

The pre-Miles run of the actual USM book would seem to disagree, seeing as he was teaming up with Iceman and the Human Torch in this exact set-up and it worked great.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think part of the reason some Spider-Man fans are resistant to Spidey being on a "Team" is because the Spider-Man books have always had a colorful array of its own heroes, antiheroes, tech wizards, and so on, basically other super heroes that almost only appear in Spider-Man books.

Black Cat, Punisher, Morbius, Lizard/Conners, the Prowler, Puma, Cloak and Dagger, Eddie Brock/Venom, and that's really just the poo poo I can think up off the top of my head. Many of these characters went on to become larger players in the MU, but they started in Spider-Man. Hell, Punisher was practically a supporting cast member of Spider-Man when Spectacular Spider-Man first launched as a series.

Now I think USM can still be a good show. But most Spider-Man shows in the recent past seem to go for a balance between the super hero and the humor along with the emotional and personal sider of Peter Parker. It seems like the personal side of Peter Parker will be downplayed, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. And if it actually is bad, we can always hope for an X-Men: Evolution moment where after 1-2 seasons of suck, the show becomes totally different and starts rocking out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually grabbed the free preview issue Marvel put out (the stills from the show look awful with how they've done it) but I'm surprised how much it really does feel like Ultimate, actually. Aunt May is a cool, modern middle-aged lady who does yoga and other new-agey stuff, MJ's Peter's best friend from childhood and wants to be a journalist, Osborn is the main villain and wants to weaponise the formula that created Spidey and the director of SHIELD offers to train a reckless Spider-Man to be as good as Cap or Iron Man, it's just Fury, not Danvers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, after the end of this week's Young Justice they did a short thing about what was going to be next week's DC Nation shorts and it looks like one of them is going to be Animal Man based.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

So, after the end of this week's Young Justice they did a short thing about what was going to be next week's DC Nation shorts and it looks like one of them is going to be Animal Man based.

Man it ain't gonna be what you want it to be. You know it, I know it. Let's just all ... ahhhh drat :smith:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Again, why? Why doesn't it work? notthegoatseguy brilliantly points out that Spider-Man stories have never had an aversion to team players, especially characters who were c-listers when starting out in his own books. Spider-Man had his Team-Ups with every corner of the Marvel Universe, and he also met people in his own books or was the go-to guy for sauntering over to someone else's book when they needed a sales boost. There was even that website a couple years ago that determined after Cap, Spider-Man was the most connected hero in the entire Marvel Universe.

Spider-Man wisecracks, and if you read the early 60s Marvel Universe you quickly realize how common it was for Stan Lee to infuse the other heroes of the day with a similar joking streak. Daredevil, Iron Man, Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm, etc. But at some point Spider-Man's humour crystallized into a joke on the superhero genre itself. Making fun more about the various tropes or situations that occurred. He's like the Jamie Kennedy character in Scream, saying "Wait, no, why are we splitting up if this is a slasher movie? That never works." and on a team book that's a really fun and interesting dynamic to throw in.

Not to mention how there's this weird relationship he has with most superheroes where he's both aloof and deferential to them, and they in turn begrudgingly put up with him because on one hand he's an annoying gently caress but on the other hand he's one of the most competent and dedicated heroic people on the planet. He'll bust your balls but he'll die a thousand deaths before giving up. And with his smarts, creativity, and powers that are still unique to this day, there's always some angle that he's going to add to a group.

All in all I'm a big fan so maybe I'm a booster of his and too far gone, but I just get the sense when people react against his being on a team that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of "he's worked well solo, so he should only be solo".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's how I see it as well but then I'm hoping he teams up with Cardiac in one episode so I might be pretty loving far gone myself.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think part of the reason some Spider-Man fans are resistant to Spidey being on a "Team" is because the Spider-Man books have always had a colorful array of its own heroes, antiheroes, tech wizards, and so on, basically other super heroes that almost only appear in Spider-Man books.

For me, it's always because Spidey is not as militant as other heroes. Joining a team is a sign that you're REALLY committed to vigilantism, whereas Spidey sees his superheroing as a hobby.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Baron Bifford posted:

For me, it's always because Spidey is not as militant as other heroes. Joining a team is a sign that you're REALLY committed to vigilantism, whereas Spidey sees his superheroing as a hobby.

Spider-Man absolutely does not see his superheroing as a hobby. How the hell could anyone familiar with the character think that? It's an obligation. It's something he has to do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deadpool posted:

Spider-Man absolutely does not see his superheroing as a hobby. How the hell could anyone familiar with the character think that? It's an obligation. It's something he has to do.

Yeah that is kind of his whole thing, he takes it more seriously (and a lot more personal) than most heroes. I don't like the team-ups either, but that is still a poor reason to be against it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Hobby" was maybe a poor choice of words but I see what Baron means, in that Peter is Spider-Man on the side, whereas many other heroes are full-timers. Which is interesting because that makes him sound less dedicated when he's actually one of the more pro-active heroes out there. The whole idea of going out on patrol is alien to a lot of major superheroes.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Accidentally stumbled upon the premiere of Ultimate Spider-Man this morning, both episodes were really good! They actually address the team-up thing (and some of the concerns people are talking about) as Spider-Man says that he will agree to join but he still wants to fly solo as well. So, looks like it won't be all 100% team-up. I really liked it and I appreciated that they went into a different direction than retreading the same ground as Spectacular.

Also caught the season 2 premiere of Avengers, it was excellent of course. Hulk and Ben have the best dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's pretty obvious that the writers for EMH must really love doom, as he completely wrecked the avengers and the fantastic four by himself and then calmly sat down and told them to get out of his country. Not that I minded as I'm a huge doom fanboy myself. Great Thing/Hulk dyanmic in this episode as well.
Really glad the second season is finally starting.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 1, 2012

• Locked thread