Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

dads_work_files posted:

Alliance: The Silent War. What a horrid, generic title for such an awesome-looking game. I had no idea it was being worked on again, I had heard the developers had been put to work making Second Life accessories. I guess now nobody plays Second Life any more they're able to actually make something cool and worthwhile again.

Bingo, that's it. Current site's over here. Not many development updates, but the team's still working on it and it has a donation page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

FluffyDice posted:

I remember playing a game when I was younger but I have only a very slim memory of it. It was a side scrolling 2d platformer with blob creatures as enemies. Very cartoony. You could drop buckets of other slime on them to kill them.

There may or may not have been books or spelling involved and I think you could pick a boy or a girl as your character.

Extremely limited description but the memory is very faint. I just remember thinking it was the best game ever. This is probably DOS - Windows 95 years if it helps.

Word Rescue. There's also Math Rescue, which is the same but with math. I loved those games as a kid. :3:

I only ever played the first shareware episode, but it was fun enough on its own. You can download it from the official site, though obviously you'll need to fiddle with dosbox or something to get it running. Why, yes, they're still selling the full version 20 years later.

Choray fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2012

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
You are awesome. 6.04 AUD plus 2.98 for the extended download service. Definately pick that up later.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm trying to remember this other educational game I played. It was about history, and it featured some weird alien guy who you had to find in various time periods, and there were interactive drawings of these periods.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
Trying to remember two DS games I used to have, first one was one where you built and fought robots. 3D graphics during play, 2D sprites when navigating game world. Second was a semi-RTS? You controlled a fighter plane over the battlefield but could deploy infantry and so on too. Entirely side scrolling and there were WW2 and modern missions.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Nintendo Game where the hero is a nerdy schlub who is really afraid of everything in the level.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Matt Cruea posted:

Super Nintendo Game where the hero is a nerdy schlub who is really afraid of everything in the level.

Lester the Unlikely?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Matt Cruea posted:

Lester the Unlikely

Edit: poo poo.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

Matt Cruea posted:

Lester the Unlikely?

edit:haha

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

I think it might be Lester the Unlikely.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Prions! posted:

Trying to remember two DS games I used to have, first one was one where you built and fought robots. 3D graphics during play, 2D sprites when navigating game world. Second was a semi-RTS? You controlled a fighter plane over the battlefield but could deploy infantry and so on too. Entirely side scrolling and there were WW2 and modern missions.

That first one sounds like Custom Robo Arena. No idea about the second.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Prions! posted:

Second one made me think of Armor Alley, which led to Super Army War which was on GBA.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Trying to remember a PC puzzle game, few years back. Egyptian feel, you had an overview of a grid map that was mostly covered in fog of war. Revealing things charged your staff with scarab energy? Also you found cities which you had to conquor (maybe) with a resource of men, maybe you were gathering food. It was mentioned on the penny arcade frontpage years ago.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mystic Mongol posted:

Trying to remember a PC puzzle game, few years back. Egyptian feel, you had an overview of a grid map that was mostly covered in fog of war. Revealing things charged your staff with scarab energy? Also you found cities which you had to conquor (maybe) with a resource of men, maybe you were gathering food. It was mentioned on the penny arcade frontpage years ago.
This is Oasis.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Indeed! Thank you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying to remember this other educational game I played. It was about history, and it featured some weird alien guy who you had to find in various time periods, and there were interactive drawings of these periods.

Gus Goes to Cybertown? Though Gus is more of an anthropomorphic dog than an alien, I don't know.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

No idea what system this was for but the game was sort of a rougelike where you progressed upwards through a tower if randomly generated floors battling and capturing monsters in a manner vaguely like Pokemon or Dragon Warrior Monsters or something. There was some form of town management or upgrading system that you could sink money into to improve the shops and services you had access to every X floors when you unlocked a teleporter to take you to town and back.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Azure Dreams, either the PS1 or Game Boy Color version.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, played this logic puzzle game waaaay back in late elementary school and I can't remember what the heck it was. You 'controlled' these weird blue ball guys, and one of the puzzles had a tree stump creature that wanted a pizza made to his exacting standards, complete with a hammy voice acted "Make me a pizzaaaaaaaa!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

iolo_the_bard posted:

Okay, played this logic puzzle game waaaay back in late elementary school and I can't remember what the heck it was. You 'controlled' these weird blue ball guys, and one of the puzzles had a tree stump creature that wanted a pizza made to his exacting standards, complete with a hammy voice acted "Make me a pizzaaaaaaaa!"

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
A game back in the... Windows 95 era? Maybe earlier?

You played as someone trapped in a pyramid/tomb, and had to push blocks, avoid enemies and climb ladders and such to solve the problems. Each puzzle you solved unlocked different ones. I remember the animation of the character pulling himself up the side of blocks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A turn-based strategy game I played on a Mac back in the late 80s or 90s. It was a basic military game with ships and planes and tanks and cities, but there was a sound effect where a dude would say "blahst!" all the time. I cannot for the life of me remember the game, but it was a good one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm trying to remember the name of an Amiga game.

Basically, it is top-down and tile-based. I think it's a puzzle game. The most notable thing about it is the artstyle; the main character is like a bald dwarf and I remember him looking up and screaming at the player. The general colour palette is very dark and brown and there was a sort of surreal nightmare fuel quality to it. The game featured still images of the main character looking creepy in a Monty Python or Edward Gorey-esque fashion.

Also, I seem to recall there being a convoluted story as well as a sequel and there was this weird allegorical norse mythology thing going on.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hakkesshu posted:

Basically, it is top-down and tile-based. I think it's a puzzle game. The most notable thing about it is the artstyle; the main character is like a bald dwarf and I remember him looking up and screaming at the player. The general colour palette is very dark and brown and there was a sort of surreal nightmare fuel quality to it. The game featured still images of the main character looking creepy in a Monty Python or Edward Gorey-esque fashion.

Also, I seem to recall there being a convoluted story as well as a sequel and there was this weird allegorical norse mythology thing going on.

Not Heimdall?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

Not Heimdall?

No, it's not Heimdall, but good guess. It's kind of like that only a lot darker and not isometric.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Hakkesshu posted:

Valhalla?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I'm trying to remember the name of some dark adventure game from the 90s. All I remember concretely is the word "Cygnus" and that it took place in a city. I remember the game was pretty gruesome and mature (or at least felt that way to 8 year old me).

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
I think that's Noctropolis.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Plinth posted:

Valhalla?

Yeah, this is definitely it (though I was thinking of the sequel). Thanks! Man, that game is loving weird.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 30, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
To be honest I didn't really think it was Heimdall, I just wanted to get the obvious suggestion out of the way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mehuyael posted:

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis.

Ah! That's the very one. So many hours logged in this as a kid.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Plinth posted:

I think that's Noctropolis.

Yes! I'm impressed you were able to deduce it with so little info, thanks!

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
I remember a game I used to play as a kid (late 1980's) which had you as a little spaceship of some sort, that could move vertically in order to navigate through horizontal laser beams with a small gap to let you squeeze through. If I remember correctly, it's a sort of early faux-3D isometric affair.

I was sure the game was called "Xenon", but searching wikipedia brought up a different game entirely.

I'm fairly certain it started with an X, but not sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Burning Sensation posted:

I remember a game I used to play as a kid (late 1980's) which had you as a little spaceship of some sort, that could move vertically in order to navigate through horizontal laser beams with a small gap to let you squeeze through. If I remember correctly, it's a sort of early faux-3D isometric affair.

I was sure the game was called "Xenon", but searching wikipedia brought up a different game entirely.

I'm fairly certain it started with an X, but not sure.
Zaxxon

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I can't remember much about this game, but I will do my best to ty and give as much information as possible.

It has an RPG for the PC that came out in the 90s I think. I first came into contact with it from a Demo disc. The demo disc was blue, had a lady on the front of it and there was something going on with her face. Like it was being pixelated in big blocks or something like that.

Edit: I think another game on the demo disc was an underwater strategy game(C&C style).

I remember you started off as a male and if you headed south east you would come up to a tavern. The UI might have been similarly laid out as PlaneScape: Torment. This is about a much as I can remember, it's been probably 10 years or so.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember very little about this game except that my friend played it.

It was on the PC, and I remember seeing him play it...oh, about '95-'96, somewhere around then. The game's action took place from the side, so I'd call it a sidescroller, but it didn't involve platforming or anything. The setting was all natural - I remember him walking through a snowy forest.

The game, if I remember right, was pseudo-adventure, as in you needed to get items to use them on things to proceed, but it didn't have large areas or much dialogue (at least from what I observed). All I remember is the character being, I think, a native american, and at one point he needed to get a spear and later to get by a white wolf who was blocking the path. I think there may have been a part where he needed to cross a small chasm. This is all very hazy.

I think the graphics were similar to King's Quest V, although the main character took up about a third of the screen I think.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
I'm looking for a post apocalyptic racing game. It was PC, from the 90's and the demo featured two tracks, one of which featured a section of a dam on which you could drive. I don't remember there being any weapons on the cars. I'm thinking tyhe name of the game was "RPM" "Drift" "Throttle" or something along those lines. I remember the graphics being quite decent and the sound of the cars being a quite distinctive drone.

I'd love to find this game again :)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Whiskey posted:

I'm looking for a post apocalyptic racing game. It was PC, from the 90's and the demo featured two tracks, one of which featured a section of a dam on which you could drive. I don't remember there being any weapons on the cars. I'm thinking tyhe name of the game was "RPM" "Drift" "Throttle" or something along those lines. I remember the graphics being quite decent and the sound of the cars being a quite distinctive drone.

I'd love to find this game again :)
Powerslide perhaps?

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

MMAgCh posted:

Powerslide perhaps?

You rock; that's the one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I'm looking for an older game that I played on a neighbor's computer over five years ago. You took command of some sort of ground-level hovercraft, and the primary interface was you looking out from the cockpit of your vehicle. Your primary weapons were fire-and-forget guided missiles, of which you had about eight, and your supply of missiles regenerated over time. The enemies were big flying bugs, which I can't really remember much detail about but I think they made me think of mutated hornets. One detail I do remember is that your vehicle had some sort of radar system that started beeping louder and louder when the flying bug enemies approached, and it was fairly tense to squint into the fog in all directions for enemies when the beeping started. The gameplay took place on an island level. The final (or only?) objective was to destroy the mutant hornet hive, which I think was this floating orange/brown structure that you pumped missiles into while enemies spawned from it. I think that it was a demo version of the game, because when you finished off the enemy base you skimmed off the island over the water and the game ended.

• Locked thread