Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basically, if it says Priority, that means it's NOT a priority and you should do everything else first. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Priority means story. It's the same as when you find out which hallway is the correct one and then go down every single other one first.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Elysiume posted:

Priority means story. It's the same as when you find out which hallway is the correct one and then go down every single other one first.

Yes, works like that in every RPG. Rational (modern) design keeps all the other hallways available even after you went down the main one, because missing random poo poo for no reason is stupid.

ME3 has no such thing.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

UnknownMercenary posted:

^^ In most side missions ME2 lets you wander around the area to find anything you missed before pressing a button to leave the area. I thought that was a much better implementation than ME3's. More often than not I ended up buying objectives from the Spectre Terminal because not only were pickups hard to see, but your journal never updated for side quests that had items in N7 missions.
I see your point, but with a few possible exceptions (not that I can immediately think of any, just hedging my bets here), there's always an opportunity in ME3's missions to look around and see if you've missed anything before proceeding. In fact, I don't think ME2 was all that different in practice: many missions didn't allow you to backtrack very far, so you couldn't just wait with carefully exploring the entire area until the end.

That being said, I wholly agree that the journal is an unhelpful mess.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Does acquiring war assets necessitate generally being paragon? I just got to citadel and I guess I need to take the paragon option to get that reporter? Or is she more the exception than the rule?
In the majority of cases, you can acquire WA either way. The numbers may vary a little, but that won't cause any significant harm to your war efforts (e.g. the Paragon thing to do on Tuchanka is to cure the genophage, resulting in lower salarian WA but higher krogan WA, whereas the Renegade route involves not curing the genophage, resulting in lower krogan WA but higher salarian WA). Don't forget that you can also get a not-insubstantial number of WA by scanning for valuable resources in Reaper-invaded systems.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

I always liked how Dead Space had the "go in every direction but this way" button.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I'm traipsing around the Normandy and my head nearly exploded when I saw the memorial thing, so many names. :smith:

So gently caress THAT, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pick up ME2. In regards to choices, what are the big ones anyway, in ME1 its just Wrex and the council right? There's more poo poo in 2 that carries over to 3?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are some dumb things about ME3 but I'm pretty sure a giant bomb exploding if you don't defuse it (I really hope "A bomb explodes if you don't defuse it" isn't a spoiler) isn't one of them

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Ok so I'm traipsing around the Normandy and my head nearly exploded when I saw the memorial thing, so many names. :smith:

So gently caress THAT, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pick up ME2. In regards to choices, what are the big ones anyway, in ME1 its just Wrex and the council right? There's more poo poo in 2 that carries over to 3?
To be fair, a lot of the names on there belong to effectively anonymous crewmen, with whom you never got to interact - and they'll appear on the list no matter what you do in ME1 or ME2. Don't let that stop you from playing those games, though!

As for choices, I believe this exhaustively details what things are carried over when you import games in ME2 and ME3. Lot of spoilers there, obviously.

EDIT: ME1 savegames track a lot more than just Wrex and the Council, by the way.

EDIT 2: VVVV Don't forget about the Rachni queen.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Here's a big page for what gets changed via save file transfers. The only stuff I can see from ME1 that is important, i.e., more than a few soundbytes/emails:
  • What romance you do
  • Rescuing Kaidan Alenko or Ashley Williams during the Virmire mission.
  • Sparing or killing Wrex during the Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage confrontation.
  • Deciding the fate of the Council during the battle with Sovereign, and the nomination of either Captain Anderson or Donnel Udina to the Council.

Things that have medium story impact, i.e., actually changing the way people that are important behave:
  • Encouraging Garrus to be more paragon or renegade.
  • Helping Tali with her personal pilgrimage quest.
  • If the entire string of Cerberus quests (UNC: Missing Marines→UNC: Cerberus→UNC: Hades' Dogs) are completed, you can talk with Miranda about these activities, and will hear news reports about an investigation.

There are a lot of other little things, but I personally am skipping a bunch of them because bleh. If you don't want to play ME1, you can get a save file with whatever flags you want.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Craig Spradlin posted:

In another version of the ending, Shepard presumably merges with the Reapers and calls them off. So you've still got the mass relays intact...

The mass relays are destroyed in every ending.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Wrex is the only choice that matters.

No seriously I try to think of any death that affects the story as much as his does and I'm getting nothing here except Tali and Legion if you're interested in a geth/quarian peace. Everyone else either gets a substitute or their absence isn't really an issue. Wreav is quite a different sort from Wrex.

Seriously Tuchanka is probably the best part of the game as far as choices from the first two games affecting this one.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There are some dumb things about ME3 but I'm pretty sure a giant bomb exploding if you don't defuse it (I really hope "A bomb explodes if you don't defuse it" isn't a spoiler) isn't one of them

not to mention two npcs tell you to basically 'go do this mission it's super important'. Also it's a bomb in a series that had your entire crew kidnapped and would punish you by liquefying them if you took your sweet time, you should expect it to explode if you dawdle.

Also the citadel is only attacked after you finish the main tuchanka questline, so not only did you miss out on doing the side-quest on time but you decided to do the 'big giant main story quest' before doing the side quests you really didn't want to miss out on.

also I really have to roll my eyes when people compare this game to dragon age 2, that game was a complete piece of poo poo from start to finish, with copy-paste dungeons, the most unsatisfying combat system ever, terrible graphics, a badly optimized engine, memory leaks, some of the worst written joss whedon worship characters ever and sexy flemeth grandmother retcon.

Mass effect 3 has a broken journal-system, a terrible character kai leng and a really horrible ending. Everything else is pretty much on par with mass effect 2 at its best.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 30, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sombrerotron posted:

To be fair, a lot of the names on there belong to effectively anonymous crewmen, with whom you never got to interact - and they'll appear on the list no matter what you do in ME1 or ME2. Don't let that stop you from playing those games, though!

Yea but I saw the names of the engineers and that's to much, I really liked them in ME2.

quote:

There are a lot of other little things, but I personally am skipping a bunch of them because bleh. If you don't want to play ME1, you can get a save file with whatever flags you want.

You mean an ME2 save file with flags from 1? How?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Mass Effect Saves. Pick your romance, then pick the save that has what you want.

I was exploring the ME saves website:

quote:

ME1 Decisions That Effect ME2
This list was taken from the Something Awful Forums Mass Effect 2 Thread
:haw:

Also, that list is better formatted than the one on the wiki. Not sure which is better, though. This one's just more readable.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 30, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Yea but I saw the names of the engineers and that's to much, I really liked them in ME2.
I can see that. Apparently there's a bug that prevents them from being chatty in ME3 and even getting together if the one who died on Virmire in ME1 was Ashley, though, so you may want to take that into account.

quote:

You mean an ME2 save file with flags from 1? How?
Aside from the already mentioned ME saves site, you can also try changing a savegame's flags with Gibbed Save Editor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Banjodark posted:

Mass effect 3 has a broken journal-system, a terrible character kai leng and a really horrible ending. Everything else is pretty much on par with mass effect 2 at its best.

I'd add in issues with another character EDI (at least her design) to that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

I can see that. Apparently there's a bug that prevents them from being chatty in ME3 and even getting together if the one who died on Virmire in ME1 was Ashley, though, so you may want to take that into account.
Not only that, but you also need to be good friends with Ashley. This involves meeting her in the hospital, taking her on missions, etc. This also means that engineering will be quiet until you get Ashley, which is a ways into the game.

I haven't actually played ME3 so that might be a bit off.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Good point. Also let's not forget it also brought back the character of Miranada's rear end, as if that needed to be revisted again.

Elysiume posted:

Not only that, but you also need to be good friends with Ashley. This involves meeting her in the hospital, taking her on missions, etc. This also means that engineering will be quiet until you get Ashley, which is a ways into the game.

I haven't actually played ME3 so that might be a bit off.
its not too quiet until after the 1/3rd mark part of the game where the bug kicks in. It's annoying as ashley is dead in all my canon runs so I won't be seeing it anytime soon. I guess that's what YouTube is for.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 30, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Gibbed's editor doesn't allow you to to change all plot flags, it does have all the important stuff, but a lot of the flavor stuff isn't available.

And masseffectsaves.com is a good idea, but generally only describes the important stuff, so you're still out of luck on the flavor stuff.

The only way to be sure you get all the choices you want is to play through all 3 games.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I actually quite liked her, much more than I thought I would. It was mostly other character's reactions to her that were creepy as gently caress.

edit:
One character that was uniformly terrible was Diane Allers, terrible VA, same Miranda-rear end shots all the time, and after completing the game twice, I'm still not sure she even has a personality.

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 30, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwazegek posted:

I actually quite liked her, much more than I thought I would. It was mostly other character's reactions to her that were creepy as gently caress.
It's mostly the design (and some of the reactions, as you said) I had an issue with. Her arc is actually pretty good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How DID your choice of Anderson or Udina to the Council actually affect Mass Effect 3? No matter what, Anderson is on Earth at the beginning of ME3, and Udina is still at the Citadel, right? Or was that something that mostly mattered in ME2?

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

dwazegek posted:

edit:
One character that was uniformly terrible was Diane Allers, terrible VA, same Miranda-rear end shots all the time, and after completing the game twice, I'm still not sure she even has a personality.
oh man. gently caress allers. Telling her to go away at the start of the game so she never shows up again is the best thing ever. It's such a wasted potential for a great character concept too. At least it's not as bad as the return of Kelly chambers - who you can sleep with in a shipping crate in the docks refugee area. Ugh. Worst

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

rotinaj posted:

How DID your choice of Anderson or Udina to the Council actually affect the game? No matter what, Anderson is on Earth at the beginning of ME3, and Udina is still at the Citadel, right? Or was that something that mostly mattered in ME2?

Yeah, it's mostly ME2. If you chose Anderson, you get a codex entry mentioning that he was unhappy in the position and gave it up. I think that's the only time ME3 even acknowledges that decision. They could've at least added a few lines to Udina's and Anderson's dialogue, instead of just hiding it away in the codex..

Banjodark posted:

At least it's not as bad as the return of Kelly chambers - who you can sleep with in a shipping crate in the docks refugee area. Ugh. Worst

Hahaha :what:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Speaking of Kelly, I know that she doesn't affect an actual romance in ME2. If you had the semi-romance in ME2 (so she shows up in ME3), does re-romancing her in ME3 affect an actual romance in ME3?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's mostly the design (and some of the reactions, as you said) I had an issue with. Her arc is actually pretty good.
I think EDI's generally well-written in ME3, I just don't quite understand why she's interested in pursuing a relationship with Joker (outside of mere intellectual curiosity, anyway).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Hank Morgan posted:

I agree it should have been sold better to the player.

Wrex: SHEPARD! It's appears to be speaking.

Shepard: What is it saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o

Talking bombs get all the best lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_47mmt5SZY

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Regarding Garrus and flags carried over in save files: What actually changes based on whether you influenced him Paragon or Renegade in ME1? In ME2 he always has the speech about how red tape on the Citadel was getting to him and so he struck out on his own and blah blah, right?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elysiume posted:

Mass Effect Saves. Pick your romance, then pick the save that has what you want.

I was exploring the ME saves website:
:haw:

Also, that list is better formatted than the one on the wiki. Not sure which is better, though. This one's just more readable.

I saw that but I don't really understand the process of getting a PC file to work on my Xbox.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

WarLocke posted:

Regarding Garrus and flags carried over in save files: What actually changes based on whether you influenced him Paragon or Renegade in ME1? In ME2 he always has the speech about how red tape on the Citadel was getting to him and so he struck out on his own and blah blah, right?

If you pushed him towards paragon he will say he tried to rejoin C-Sec but it didn't work out. Renegade and he tried to train to become a Spectre but it didn't work out. It also changes his dialog a bit during the Sidonis mission. Like if you tell him you would get revenge too and you pushed him towards renegade he says he "learned from the best." Or if you tell him to ease up he gets confused because you taught him differently.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

I saw that but I don't really understand the process of getting a PC file to work on my Xbox.
Oh...Xbox. Didn't really think about that. No idea there; sorry. :(

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

dwazegek posted:

(END VARIANT SPOILER)The mass relays are destroyed in every ending.

Okay, now that's dumb.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Craig Spradlin posted:

Okay, now that's dumb.

No, it's SPECULATION. That EVERYBODY can participate in. Feel the artistic genius wash over you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crows Turn Off posted:

Basically, if it says Priority, that means it's NOT a priority and you should do everything else first. :v:

I went to the Citadel after every side mission and basically did laps everytime I did a thing and I still completed every mission. I didn't even know there was a time limit beyond "you lose missions as plot progresses". How do you even mess up that badly as to let the bomb explode? I did it as the very last thing before the priority mission.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

I went to the Citadel after every side mission and basically did laps everytime I did a thing and I still completed every mission. I didn't even know there was a time limit beyond "you lose missions as plot progresses". How do you even mess up that badly as to let the bomb explode? I did it as the very last thing before the priority mission.

I think you actually have to do the priority mission first for that to happen

which would be dumb, except the game basically goes "hey, you should probably do both of these missions before the priority one, hint hint"

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
A few hours ago NihilCredo asked what the class breakdown for all my playthroughs was. And now I have access to my saves, here it is!

Adept: 5
Engineer: 5
Infiltrator: 5
Sentinel: 5
Soldier: 5
Vanguard: 3

I must admit, the distribution was more balanced that I thought it would be. Also, the 28 are an even split between FemSheps and ManSheps. There you go. Furthermore, 18 of these were created in 2010 (:psyduck:), 9 in 2011, and 1 in 2012.

Something to brighten your day.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

How did you manage Vanguard on Insanity? :psyduck:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

UnknownMercenary posted:

having an instant "recharge shields" power actually makes it much easier

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

My patent-pending 'three talent build'. Want to do almost non-stop *multi-target* charging with an Insanity Vanguard? Always use the Eviscerator. Rush Heavy Charge, rush Inferno Rounds, rush your passive.

Always be charging - win game :supaburn: (Edit: Also, to be fair, charge smart. While every charge is an attack, to attack isn't always the reason to charge. You can zip to and fro across the field to disrupt enemy formations, charge just to boost your defenses, and induce bosses to focus on you and charge through their attacks, and draw heat away from your party (who will be left eating dust in any event)).

Edit: Also Vanguards are pretty good at 'spawn breaking', which can short-circuit the hell out of a lot of fights.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 30, 2012

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

100% shield recharge Charge, 50% shield use Nova, 200%CD Reduction:
Charge -> Nova -> Nova-> Repeat.

It's one of the easier insanity classes along with the Infiltrator, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I can't tell if I'm reading the description for Fortification correctly. When it says 'purge the armor to get +X% recharge" or whatever, is that just fluff and you get the bonus when you melee, or do you have to actually turn the power off to get it?

• Locked thread