Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BigbyWolffe posted:

I guess the sprite work and art that is based on the sprites. Locke probably had the worse design but neither Amano's nor fan interpretation look too bad.

...He is wearing a tiger-stripe tunic in the Amano art.

He looks like he belongs in a house of ill repute. :catstare:

(I'm not particularly fond of Amano's Edgar or Mog, while we're out there, but it's all a taste thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FFXII is the rare RPG where I think having alternate costumes would have been a godsend. At least let me rock Hobo Basch for the whole game!

When you LP FFXII, remember that the entire game before Balthier and the gambit system is kind of annoying and terrible. I think it's about five hours on your first playthrough, and it drags. Once you get the whole gambit system the game transforms into a beautiful butterfly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Bobo the Red posted:

Pfff, no, that guy can just get hardier internet; your updates rule

Yes, the updates are good, which is why I'd like to see all of them. I can read most screenshot threads without problems, and a lot of those have more than one update a page.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
I hold the deepest sympathy for you to hear you'll be doing FFXII. That game was so boring it inflicted pain that seemed almost physical. It had a couple good characters, but I could not get into it. My main beef is that the 2 main characters have NOTHING to do with anything, and I recall hearing they were forced into the game by corporate meddling.

Idea for making the FFXII LP better: Edit out Vaan and Penelo from everything, and see how many things actually change.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I gave up on the last FFXII LP because Vaan was such a little poo poo that I couldn't stand it. That and the three people LPing it weren't interesting enough to make up for it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Word of advice for a possible future FFXII LP - don't try for 100% by trying to fight the bonus boss. There are somethings man was not meant do.
I have something to admit.

Now, I know you all think of me as this guy who's amazing at every single game. I crush games on the first try, and come back for more, dominating all the supposedly hard bonus content. Hell, I've beaten FFXII into the ground 3 times while writing papers (perfect papers whose prose flowed like water and read like a philosophical work, natural), and I don't even like the game all that much.

I've never beaten the bonus boss.

I've gotten all the loot, espers, yadda, yadda, done everything ELSE in the game 3 times, but I haven't killed him. I fought him for about 5 minutes once, just to see what it's like.

I never really saw the point.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

We can't talk about character design without mentioning what a complete trainwreck Kuja is.

He has more clothing on his arms than on his entire torso, who thought this was a good idea? :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Twiddy posted:

I have something to admit.

Now, I know you all think of me as this guy who's amazing at every single game. I crush games on the first try, and come back for more, dominating all the supposedly hard bonus content. Hell, I've beaten FFXII into the ground 3 times while writing papers (perfect papers whose prose flowed like water and read like a philosophical work, natural), and I don't even like the game all that much.

I've never beaten the bonus boss.

I've gotten all the loot, espers, yadda, yadda, done everything ELSE in the game 3 times, but I haven't killed him. I fought him for about 5 minutes once, just to see what it's like.

I never really saw the point.

It's not that it's hard per say, but a boss should not have to take 2 hours to kill in a single player game. It's so much of a time waster for no reward.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dauntasa posted:

All this talk about Vaan's outfit is ignoring the real problem with him: His stupid, stupid face. Like, he's not even effeminate because that implies he looks like a woman. He isn't manly enough to be a woman. He's like some sort of genderless elf thing. I will give his voice actor credit and say that his voice totally fits him in that he sounds like a whiny ten-year-old of indeterminate gender.

"Genderless elf thing" is a typical problem of Yoshida's artwork. I had the same issue with Vagrant Story's characters and other designs he's made.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

So the first time I ever saw Steiner in FFIX it made me think of Buzz Lightyear. Looking at the pictures side by side it's not so obvious, but just looking at Steiner on his own, Buzz was my first thought.

Did/does anybody else get/see this or was I just crazy back then?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not that it's hard per say, but a boss should not have to take 2 hours to kill in a single player game. It's so much of a time waster for no reward.
That's the thing, that's what I've heard. I've found no point in doing it.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

NothingToFyr posted:

I hold the deepest sympathy for you to hear you'll be doing FFXII. That game was so boring it inflicted pain that seemed almost physical. It had a couple good characters, but I could not get into it. My main beef is that the 2 main characters have NOTHING to do with anything, and I recall hearing they were forced into the game by corporate meddling.

Vaan's kind of like Tidus where he's really the player's set-piece more so than an actual character. Unlike Tidus, he's not helping or damaging it either (blame that on the director's disdain for the character). And yes, he was forced in, but from what I've heard it was because they felt that they needed a character like him to increase the appeal of the game (and hence, the sales) to Japanese gamers. For better or worse though, it worked.

I liked Vaan though, both because he's as "tactful as a freight train" and that his existence didn't impact my pleasure from that game anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I uh

I can explain how this happened

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Tactless Ogre posted:

Vaan's kind of like Tidus where he's really the player's set-piece more so than an actual character. Unlike Tidus, he's not helping or damaging it either (blame that on the director's disdain for the character). And yes, he was forced in, but from what I've heard it was because they felt that they needed a character like him to increase the appeal of the game (and hence, the sales) to Japanese gamers. For better or worse though, it worked.

I liked Vaan though, both because he's as "tactful as a freight train" and that his existence didn't impact my pleasure from that game anyway.

They probably used Vaan, like Tidus, as an entry character. You plop a player into a new, different world and you need a way of introducing different things (wars, nation names, races, etc) without breaking the forth wall. Tidus does this because we've been thrown into a different world with the main character so we experience new things as he does so he gets the explanations we need. Vaan is a small street rat that gets caught up in a bigger political war so he's less the main character and more a point of view we can relate to. Both of these games true main characters arguable have a different main protagonist than the we one we start out with/control.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, Tidus eventually takes his role as the main character.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What happened? Never having played FF7 I'm confused.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Brainamp posted:

What happened? Never having played FF7 I'm confused.

Her level is somehow lower than the level she starts the game at.

Sep 13, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, Tidus eventually takes his role as the main character.

That is true but it doesn't diminish his role in (I wouls say) the majority of the game as an outsider's view for us to understand Yuna's pilgrim. And I would argue it's the opposite with Vaan, he's the main character until he meets his other non-Penelo party members, although the whole main character thing is a little more complicated because you're not required to stick with one overworld avatar.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 31, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

While Elentor is doing the sane thing and playing the game normally, I've decided to play a Low Level Game! What this means is this: I will be getting no EXP except when forced. This will bring everyone in the party to about level 28. Except Tifa. Tifa will end as many forced battles as possible KOed, and will end the game at level 7.

If you've ever wondered how to survive when underleveled, here's how! I will be abusing the hell out of Enemy Skill

Also it's this kind of challenge that changes the next level EXP here from curiosity...

...to annoyance. These guys give 32 EXP.

And Cloud needs 6 to get to level 7 instead of 35. This LLG is already off to a wonderful start.

Also Ex-SOLDIER is 10 characters so I am forced to get creative with names. I don't know how much sense it makes but I'm not using defaults.

ALL YELLING ALL THE TIME

I have failed to get creative with names.

Also running. Lots and lots of running. This will be the runningest LP.

Chocobuckle probably won't be worth poo poo anyway :shepicide:

Free items are my only lifeblood. No random encounters means I've got fixed amounts of gil until I get Steal.

Never mind the fucker took 20 minutes to lower it.

But Barrel got the guy with a Big Shot, saving me effort later.

SHWWWOOOOOOWEEEEEEECCH

And here's why this is low-level while still getting to an average of 28 - bosses in FF7 give EXP.

Not a bad time, considering I ran more than usual.

Escaping from an exploding power plant has completely reinvigorated CLOUD. I never once healed the entire time.

They're only one gil.

One. Gil.

This text box is huge despite containing so little. The other text box here is the same size.

If I fight them CLOUD gets EXP. Later!

Barrel was 4 when the plate was built. Doubt he knew that much about what Midgar was like before it.

By going to a seedy bar we get an ex-president on our team.

Also I am going to be very very nice to Barrel.

These prices don't make much sense, considering that would buy only two ethers. Commiting terrorist acts against the world government seems like it would demand a higher pay, no?

This qualifies as nice to Barrel.

Here's where my LLG shennanigans start to show. Never thought you'd catch her below level 5, did you?

Iron Bangles, 2 Restore Materia, and 20 potions. I sell the ethers I got early on to fund this.

The next reactor is boring besides all the running and running and running.

Oh god I don't want to fight them they'll probably get Taft a level :ohdear:

Airbuster would be pretty boring, since it'd be unloading limits then having Barrel and Taft kill each other so Cloud gets all the EXP.

So I decide to do something wacky.

I'll get this intrepid trio their 1-2 limit breaks, meaning I'll have to hit Airbuster with 25 limit breaks!

Of course, since Barrel and CLOUD deal 100 when they don't critical, and Airbuster has 1200 HP, this gets a little complicated.

Hence the Restore materia and potions. I'll have to heal Airbuster a few times.

He counterattacks on healing by the way. A potion will make him turn around then attack the healer.

Taft got her 9 Beat Rushes, and gets shot to death.

Taft will get shot to death a lot in this challenge.

Barrel soon joins after his 9th limit. The one against Guard Scorpion allows me to kill him off a little faster.

And CLOUD beats down Airbuster all alone, though it takes a while since I was so afraid of killing it I kept its HP topped off.

Can't say the plan didn't work. And Cloud doesn't gain a level from Airbuster.

See ya bro. Sorry about letting you get shot to death.

I asked an IRC channel about the name. I regret the choice.

Also average level shennanigans have resulted in Aerated sitting at level 2, with only 6 EXP to speak of.

This is already getting strage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I uh

OFS, what the gently caress did you do?

Edit: ... That's what the gently caress you did. I am, once again, completely baffled by your ability to do these things to videogames.

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2012

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dauntasa posted:

Her level is somehow lower than the level she starts the game at.

Does each character have a preset starting level? I always thought that their starting level depended on Cloud's.

Edit: Aha! OFS proves me right!

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2012

Sep 13, 2007
I love that you named Tifa after our fattest president. Rock on you weird bastard.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Godspeed OFS.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
...And apparently I've already messed up by having Cloud survive the Guard Scorpion. Oh well, in the end it'll be the difference between level 26 and level 26 but slightly closer to 27.

This is lowest level not lowest EXP.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Now I understand and rapt with attention shall I be for this .

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
It takes 6 exp to be Lv2 in FF7.

...I don't know why that jumps out at me as bizarre, it just does. :psyduck:

Given FF7 really started to push the loving HUGE NUMBERS FF button, 6 just seems so out of place.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

You should have named them all Zoidberg :shepface: :zoid:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

It takes 6 exp to be Lv2 in FF7.

...I don't know why that jumps out at me as bizarre, it just does. :psyduck:

Given FF7 really started to push the loving HUGE NUMBERS FF button, 6 just seems so out of place.

Vincent and Barret need 7, and Young Cloud requires 10. Everyone else is 6 to level 2.

It's never possible to get any character but Aeris at level 2, though. Young Cloud is always level 1, Cloud and Barret start at 6, and average levels will get Red XIII to 9 and it'll just go up from there.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
You think there are any parts that are impossible to clear at absolute beginner levels? I always find it a lot more satisfying to throw on a Gameshark code instead of mess with experience tables and planned knockouts.

I've only played up to around the Shinra HQ this way, though, so I have yet to find out how bad it gets.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Why does Tifa, and only Tifa, have to be unconscious most of the time?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why does Tifa, and only Tifa, have to be unconscious most of the time?

Tifa's lowest possible level is 7, which is the lowest in the game. Cloud comes close with 8 but 8 > 7.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
If I remember right, this game has exp spillover to party members who are not in your current roster (something like 75% or something, not the full amount anyway), which I imagine would up the levels of some characters a little.

Only low level run of a game I ever did was for Chrono Trigger which has a similar mechanic, and characters have pre set joining levels, so Magus will always join in the mid 30s level wise, for example. Still managed to finish the game with Crono at level 1 though, since there's only one fight in the entire game where he is required to earn experience. Plus the Rainbow is such a good weapon he doesn't really need the levels.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
GarlandG to the rescue! Some fuckery in the JP version can get you a level 1 Yuffie.
:siren: I have been informed that this video contains spoilers about an end boss. Tread lightly! :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFrw_c326Q

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 31, 2012

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
OFS, you are insane. You are a crazy, crazy person and I wish you all the luck in the world with your insanity.

I once tried a level 1 run on FFIX. I gave up.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I've been doing a no level run of VIII. It's not really much of a challenge when you abuse junctions, though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I've been doing a no level run of VIII. It's not really much of a challenge when you abuse junctions, though.

Yeah, but that game's system is thoroughly abusable in every way - the enemies scale, or don't, with you, plus junctions and fixed income-over-time. Hell, it's easier to beat the game if you stay low-level.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

FF7 low level challenge

A friend of mine did that. His challenge also included no materia and no items ever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh OFS! You're so crazy! :allears:

And the art! After seeing you named him Barrel, this came to mind:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I love the game to death, and I only did it when I learned he was basically put in the game to represent the oppressive forces that drove Matsuno out. I felt like it was my duty, and I watched TV and BSed with a friend while I did it. I had a lot more fun completing my bestiary, which was a really interesting experience and should be done by any LP of the game as a series of detailed bonus videos.

As for Vaan, I think he serves a decent enough role in the story to justify his existence. I'm not sure he needs to be playable beyond the first act, and they never should have put him on the cover let alone pretended he was the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

George posted:

I love the game to death, and I only did it when I learned he was basically put in the game to represent the oppressive forces that drove Matsuno out. I felt like it was my duty, and I watched TV and BSed with a friend while I did it. I had a lot more fun completing my bestiary, which was a really interesting experience and should be done by any LP of the game as a series of detailed bonus videos.

My opinion varies with the moon phases as to everything else in FF12, but I have to say, the bestiary really IS a labor of love.

Now if only Yiazmat didn't exist.

• Locked thread