Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

SymfonyMan posted:

There. I've convinced you. In other news, I threw my $15 in after the announcement. I've liked almost every Interplay/Black Isle game so far so I don't know why I wouldn't like W2.

The better advice would be to play an isometric RPG and see if you like it. I'd wager a lot of Fallout New Vegas fans might not enjoy the "old school" design.

This kickstarter shouldn't be about forcing people or lying to them, it's about getting people interested in it. I don't want a bunch of angry gamers crying once it is done ruining all future kickstarters.

I'm sure tons of people will complain either way about how they could have done it better, but that is just gaming. Check out the GOG thread on ways to get older isometic RPG titles from the people involved in Wasteland 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
There are loads of good turn based isometric RPGs out there, but the problem, I'd say, is getting past the fact that they're old. I would really just hate to see someone put off because they're dealing with an ancient interface and like 800x600 resolution. There are fan patches of course, but then you're going through using fan patches.

If you do brave the waters and really get into it though, and you really haven't played any turn based isometric RPGs, you have a world of amazing games out there to catch up on when you feel like it.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

The better advice would be to play an isometric RPG and see if you like it. I'd wager a lot of Fallout New Vegas fans might not enjoy the "old school" design.

This kickstarter shouldn't be about forcing people or lying to them, it's about getting people interested in it. I don't want a bunch of angry gamers crying once it is done ruining all future kickstarters.

I'm sure tons of people will complain either way about how they could have done it better, but that is just gaming. Check out the GOG thread on ways to get older isometic RPG titles from the people involved in Wasteland 2.

Also, if the reason why you enjoyed New Vegas and Alpha Protocol was the writing and the 'choice gameplay' (not the action parts) those are the things that the classic isometric games got famous for. So even if you don't particularly like the isometric combat, you might like it enough to enjoy the other stuff in the games.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

trw posted:

Also, if the reason why you enjoyed New Vegas and Alpha Protocol was the writing and the 'choice gameplay' (not the action parts) those are the things that the classic isometric games got famous for. So even if you don't particularly like the isometric combat, you might like it enough to enjoy the other stuff in the games.

Well I certainly didn't love AP for its combat system :v:

Are there any free iso-RPG's you guys would recommend to try out this system?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wish kickstarter took paypal, I was about to pledge $30 too, Goddamn it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Teim posted:

There is an option to donate via PayPal - http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Teim posted:

They've got a separate donation thing up on the Wasteland 2 website that takes Paypal.

e: f,b

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Internet Explorer posted:

There is an option to donate via PayPal - http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

Fuckin' awesome. They'll have Obsidian yet!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Not free, but good old games (gog.com) has a bunch of the classics for $5 or $10 that are designed to run well on new computers. Baldur's Gate II is considered the gold standard for combat/story. Icewind Dale 1 and 2 are lighter on story, but with good combat. Fallouts 1 and 2 obviously go well if you like the wasteland theme. Arcanum is usually thrown into the good list as well. All of the above but Arcanum were from Black Isle in its glory days; Arcanum was from Troika, the makers of Vampire: Bloodlines.

Edit: And Planescape: Torment, how could I forget? Not as exciting combat wise, but considered one of the best, if not the best, stories ever in a game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Urdnot Fire posted:

So, specifically for turn based in the traditional sense..

If you're willing to look past bad combat for a great story, Arcanum is 3 dollars right now at gog.com. It's steampunk from before steampunk was a fad, and you can really be whatever kind of dude you want, morally speaking.

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are all of 6 bucks each, so they're more expensive, but they have better combat. They are going to be much more representative of the kind of game you're going to get with Wasteland 2, supposedly.

If you want to try out the best combat that turn based isometric can give you, in my opinion that is going to be Jagged Alliance 2 (also 6 dollars I think, that or 10) with the 1.13 fan patch. That one is about mercenaries liberating a latin american country. I'd just warn you that JA2 requires much more of your attention with the combat, as it is a squad tactics game. It also has a lot less of the funky moral stuff, as there is really a clear goal.

There's also the Baldur's Gate games and Planescape, but they are actually real time with pausing, though the combat resolves like a turn based game.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Personally, my game of choice for introducing someone to the sub-genre would be Arcanum. Yeah the combat isn't great, but with that balancing mod that makes tech an almost-equally viable choice as magic as well as pre knowledge of the bullshit Black Mountain Mines I'd suggest it over BG2 or Fallout. Just the theme, the world, the character development, all that good stuff.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I started Planescape: Torment today to familiarize myself with the genre. I think I made a good choice :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SMP posted:

I started Planescape: Torment today to familiarize myself with the genre. I think I made a good choice :allears:

You made the best choice.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
This should have been stickied earlier. I've put some money in and I'm getting some friends on board as well. This should manage to maintain the momentum easily to hit the $2.1m mark.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Devian666 posted:

This should have been stickied earlier.

If I'm not mistaken, it was. It got re-stickied for the Obsidian development.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it was. It got re-stickied for the Obsidian development.

That's cool then. I'm using the news as leverage to convince people to pledge money.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, Disappointed Owl, we were stickied from the first day of the Kickstarter to like the fifth day, and oh, what a treat to make it back again! I cannot wait until they announce that at $2.5 million they will launch an actual warhead to bring about Armageddon!

The Alchemist posted:

Actually you gave some pretty good and valid points, with no fanboyism or opinion-based arguments, and your post really makes me feel alot better about Obsidian now.
This is the first time two people have listened to each other's arguments on the Internet; we better shut this whole thing down before understanding starts running rampant. Glad to hear, though.

gravelbeast posted:

It's like they've set up a perfect hamster cage and now the hamsters are escaping. I suspect some publishers are already thinking up ways to sabotage or corrupt this trend.
Wasteland 2 Kickstarter: The Hamsters Are Escaping.

You are probably right, but fortunately it will likely not impact this current generation of Kickstarters. It just might limit the ability of people to do this kind of thing in the future. :(

SenseLess posted:

Obsidian in on Wasteland 2? This is the worst news ever - for my wallet. Oh, well. Here, take another $70. It's not that i needed that to buy important things, like food. Who needs food anyway. Now excuse me, i have to go starve somewhere.....
HOORAY! Also three cheers for Sulla-Marius 88 donating despite being in debt!!! :D Wait, we are supposed to discourage that :( Zaii!!! ZAIIIIIIII Fredrik1! Nate RFB! Nurge! DOMINOES! Lord Lambeth! Master Slur! SymfonyMan! Anime Schoolgirl! SMP! Teim! DEVIAN666! Leverage those friends!!!

chumpchous posted:

Why is the fact that most of the design team has not worked on a game before or since a good thing? That's really my only remaining skepticism regarding this project (I'm on board for many other reasons). There are plenty of reasons to get original devs onboard from a marketing standpoint -- especially with crowdsourcing. Bring St. Andre on as a consultant for a minor fee, win fan credibility. That doesn't guarantee a quality product, however.
Well, Brian Fargo and Jason Anderson of Fallout 1/2 fame already spent a year working on the core design of the game. He basically is bringing all of those people in as consultants, ostensibly (though I would never claim to know how his mind works) because he knows people entirely outside the industry are going to bring in novel ideas on how to make things work, and might question standard operating procedures that serve no real purpose but are just "how things are done."

Urdnot Fire posted:

I've never played an isometric RPG before, but I loved Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas and am looking forward to the South Park RPG. Convince me that my $15 will be well-spent.
AxeManiac's point is probably the most reasonable one; you should probably play an oldschool game to see if you can get into them, and it really is hard to know what the best one for you to play is. Lots of the unquestionably best isometric games are either based on things that are theselves fairly arcane (Dungeons & Dragons rules, for example) or are old enough that you might not be able to get past the graphics. You can probably track down a copy of Fallout 1 pretty easily, and you might be able to get into that since you would get at least vague similarities to New Vegas out of it.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Just bumped my pledge up to $265 because... Obsidian!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SMP posted:

I really have to finish this... and Arcanum, and Fallout 2, gently caress.

Actually stick Wasteland 1 on this list too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quarex posted:

You are probably right, but fortunately it will likely not impact this current generation of Kickstarters. It just might limit the ability of people to do this kind of thing in the future. :(

I don't think Kickstarter is the cumulation of crowd funding and digital distribution, it's more like the Model T. I suspect there are a lot more interesting surprises in the future.

Also, I rather doubt any publishers feel the least bit threatened or concerned by the (comparatively) tiny little budgets of a few Kickstarter projects going to a handful of independent developers.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

SMP posted:

Focus on intelligence and wisdom. Those 2 stats open up at least 30% of the best written dialogue imaginable. It's the difference between a few simple character conversations, and detailed, mind-blowing back stories.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

I don't think Kickstarter is the cumulation of crowd funding and digital distribution, it's more like the Model T. I suspect there are a lot more interesting surprises in the future.

Also, I rather doubt any publishers feel the least bit threatened or concerned by the (comparatively) tiny little budgets of a few Kickstarter projects going to a handful of independent developers.
I agree with this. Publishers will keep on being publishers but now there is an alternative method for games to get funded. The best part is they get a good idea of how interested the general gaming public is in their game too, provided it gets enough exposure.

For every Wasteland 2 success story I think there will be 20 failures.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kurtofan posted:

You made the best choice.

Dude he made a horrible choice!

It can only go downhill from here guy.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Tufty posted:

Personally, my game of choice for introducing someone to the sub-genre would be Arcanum. Yeah the combat isn't great, but with that balancing mod that makes tech an almost-equally viable choice as magic as well as pre knowledge of the bullshit Black Mountain Mines I'd suggest it over BG2 or Fallout. Just the theme, the world, the character development, all that good stuff.

Which mod was that, exactly? All I could find was Otto Krupp's Firearm mod, which looks somewhat smaller than you make it sound.

SMP
May 5, 2009

drkhrs2020 posted:

Focus on intelligence and wisdom. Those 2 stats open up at least 30% of the best written dialogue imaginable. It's the difference between a few simple character conversations, and detailed, mind-blowing back stories.

I consulted BeforeIPlay and bumped INT/CHA/WIS up to 16 (then leveled WIS to 17). I just made it out of the mortuary, there's a surprising amount of poo poo to do there; considering it's the 'tutorial' level.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Quarex posted:

AxeManiac's point is probably the most reasonable one; you should probably play an oldschool game to see if you can get into them, and it really is hard to know what the best one for you to play is. Lots of the unquestionably best isometric games are either based on things that are theselves fairly arcane (Dungeons & Dragons rules, for example) or are old enough that you might not be able to get past the graphics. You can probably track down a copy of Fallout 1 pretty easily, and you might be able to get into that since you would get at least vague similarities to New Vegas out of it.

trw is right too, if you enjoyed any of the story, character or theme/settings from Fallout, adding Obsidian is just going to get more of those choices into the game. They are excellent at writing story and character moments that impact the world and leave impressions on you.

Like the well used line goes, "Planescape is one of the best books I've ever played". The gameplay of Wasteland 1 is a bit dated, even Fallout 1 and 2 have a ton of issues gameplay and UI wise, but those games still have great characters and writing and lasted in the minds of gamers for so long because they really know how to craft the ideas of game, the gameplay, yeah, that gets messed up. But most of the time it is messed up because of issues outside of the dev teams hands, a look at the design docs usually show you they had some great ideas.

I'm not really too excited about Wasteland 2 itself, just the focus of all these creative people making a game like this, at this point in gaming history. It's going to interesting to play and if I just can't hack the gameplay, I'm sure the world and stories and characters will be worth it.

And if it doesn't happen, I have proof the old ways are gone and will go order some more Fallout DLC or something.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ruro posted:

For every Wasteland 2 success story I think there will be 20 failures.
I think there have already been 20 failures since the Double Fine thing got going. In addition to "Crowdsourced Tactical Whatever," ($53,000 to go with 24 hours left!), somebody linked their hyper-awful MMORPG on the Wasteland 2 wall the other day; with 14 days to go, they have raised $2 of their $75,000 goal! Any day now, the money train will roll in.

Edit:

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not really too excited about Wasteland 2 itself, just the focus of all these creative people making a game like this, at this point in gaming history. It's going to interesting to play and if I just can't hack the gameplay, I'm sure the world and stories and characters will be worth it.
Yeah, and their occasional comparison to "getting the band back together" really is kind of apt; sometimes, when you put a once-classic band back together after decades out of the limelight, the result is actually pretty awesome. Here is to hoping they are more like DEVO's newest album and less like, say, KISS' endless series of reunion tours.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 1, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quarex posted:

In addition to "Crowdsourced Tactical Whatever," ($53,000 to go with 24 hours left!)

Oh hey, this thing actually has a chance to just barely eke out, huh? It was 100k down a couple days ago.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh hey, this thing actually has a chance to just barely eke out, huh? It was 100k down a couple days ago.
The guy has learned at least something from how to get press attention, he made a new video and changed the name of the project and got some attention for basically saying "yeah, I basically bungled this whole thing, whoops, LOL!" Hey, more power to him if he makes it. I have, like, negative infinity interest in what he is doing, but I also am not like that crazy guy who believes $10 donated to one Kickstarter takes $10 away from another Kickstarter.

You know what Kickstarter I do want to see, though? A first-person-shooter remake of Bad Dudes.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Quarex posted:

You know what Kickstarter I do want to see, though? A first-person-shooter remake of Bad Dudes.

Only if there is a price point where they also make it a feature film.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Quarex posted:

Multiple choice ending. Do you take out the pickle or not?

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Multiple choice ending. Do you take out the pickle or not?

Followed by the 2nd Kickstarter for "Optional additional endings"

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Urdnot Fire posted:

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/ Knights of the Chalice

Its by far one of the best TB combat implementations out there.

The interface makes it great, it got hyperlinks everywhere for stats and actions which takes you to the help section and back in a blink.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tufty posted:

On the other hand, I'd suggest Fallout (or 2) over Arcanum without question. Even with patches Arcanum was never properly balanced, the character system is unintuitive and gimping yourself with a bad build is very easy. Combat is an abomination. It's simultaneously both laughably breakable and very punishing if you're trying guns for the first time. Fallout's combat isn't particularly tactical but it's straightforward, and 90% of the fights don't have you swarmed by the enemy within a turn of combat (you can avoid this in Arcanum but half of the time you'll be exploiting how the TB system/AI works to achieve this).

Other than that, I also feel the quests are generally structurally more interesting in FO. Arcanum has quite a few linear fetch quests, and in general they feel more tedious than in the Fallouts. The dungeons are also a major drag in Arcanum and more linear as well than the few you get in Fallout. I also think the uniqueness of setting was underutilized in Arcanum. Too often did it feel like a rather generic fantasy setting, but that might just be me.

To me, Arcanum felt like it needed more polishing throughout in almost all aspects of the game. I would not say the same about the Fallouts (barring the fan fixed bugs). I've enjoyed and played through both Arcanum and the FOs multiple times, btw.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
This thread really is weird. I can't wrap my head around so many people chucking hundreds of dollars towards "developers" that made a game 25 years ago and are now cracking their knuckles and saying that now is the time.

To the person asking about isometric games, in my experience Icewind Dale 2 is the best I've found. I only wish this kickstarter was ID3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rapacity posted:

To the person asking about isometric games, in my experience Icewind Dale 2 is the best I've found. I only wish this kickstarter was ID3.

The only problem I have with recommending infinity engine games to newbies is the D&D, which can be quite a barrier to entry for the uninitiated.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rapacity posted:

This thread really is weird. I can't wrap my head around so many people chucking hundreds of dollars towards "developers" that made a game 25 years ago and are now cracking their knuckles and saying that now is the time.
Possibly because you may have selectively read the thread, or I did a really bad job somewhere along the line. Brian Fargo has been the head of one of two game companies since the early 1980s, and thus has never left the industry. Other than re-assembling the legacy team from the first game (those people do fit your criteria, or at least Ken St. Andre and Liz Danforth do, I think Alan Pavlish was involved in some other game series briefly), everyone else involved would qualify as an "industry professional," particularly since Brian Fargo and Jason Anderson (both of whom were involved with Fallout) collaborated on the basic design that they are working from now.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rapacity posted:

Maybe because that's not even close to what is actually happening?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
During a lunchtime conversation today I learned of yet another goon who is currently in for $1,000; between this thread and private discussions, there are almost certainly 5 Goons among the future NPC/Location/Weapons in Wasteland 2. That is a pretty respectable percentage, I think. I would push for people in the $500 tier to go crazy and double their donation, but of course I realize there are not actually any $1,000 tiers left, and even I would not try to encourage someone to spend $2,500 to get their favorite childhood toy in the game.

But ... then again ... if I were a true fan, I suppose I would get my childhood cuddly naptime stuffed gorilla "Professor Suckthumb" immortalized in the game. He, you see, was a gorilla with a graduate's cap on, who could put his thumb in his mouth. What more apocalyptically-themed item can there be? There can be none more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The past 24 hours or so, the baseline of donations has been triple what the the previous several days' donations were. Wonder how long that will hold up?

Added a new section to my chart, based on the assumption that the average Kickstarter donation (if the upper tiers are removed, as with the Paypal) is around $40.

• Locked thread