Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

rotinaj posted:

That... doesn't answer my question. After reading the whole comic, the author has been making a personal choice to loving kick Katia in the teeth as much as possible. He/she doesn't have to highlight the comments that gently caress Katia over, he/she doesn't have to choose to have her keep getting drunk and gently caress some random guy and feel horrible, he/she doesn't have to keep having her call herself a stupid drunken Khajit slut, he/she doesn't have to make her continually fail at anything and everything she tries to do.

Has the author stated why he/she's making Prequel such a dickish, sad, mean story? I mean, it's an engrossing story so far, but mostly because I'd really like something, anything good to happen to the poor girl.

Kazerad (the author) actually posts in this thread. Here's some of the questions he's answered.

Somewhat relevant:

Kazerad posted:

Like a few others have already said, the narration is intended to be from Katia's point of view. There is a lot of subtext in what she says, and it is intentional. It does not necessarily represent my views.

Among other things, Katia is definitely somewhat misogynistic. She's someone who has been called a worthless whore so often that she has accepted it as truth. She, her goals, and the demeaning language she uses to describe herself have all been shaped by years of people speaking down to her.

(More if you follow the link. Also possible spoilers.) I'm not sure if he's said why exactly he leans towards kicking her when she's down, but I'm leaning towards "it's interesting."

Also, no idea how far in you are, but rest assured, there is a turning point and we're currently on a high note! Of course, the higher we fly, the further we fall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's a very common plot device that your protagonist first has to fail at something before he/she can properly overcome it. Look at pretty much every action-movie, you nearly always have the protagonist going up against the main antagonist early on and losing before winning in the end. This is pretty important to show character growth. Nobody cares if a rich, powerful and handsome character succeeds again at whatever because he's just that awesome.
Now what we have here in Prequel is the same basic concept, only amplified a lot. Which is fitting, considering it's essentially a underdog story. The more the protagonist suffers in the beginning, the more meaningful will her successes be later. Skip a little forward, from the dinner with the countess on things get a little more optimistic and you'll actually notice it working. Even little things like managing to throw a few tiny fireballs at apples suddenly are a huge success that make the reader smile.

The first part can be somewhat depressing to read through, but once you actually get some payoff it ends up being worth it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

pandaK posted:

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

This guy knows where it's at. Just finished reading it, it was pretty amazing.

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost
Found this thread, read through the Prequil archives, then through this thread. Next thing I know my weekend disappeared, at least I had some fun.

I don't really like this recent turn of events, Sigrid's character seems way off from what it is in the actual game. Well that and the fact she is being suspicious as hell. Run Katia, run!

Also Kazerad, was it actually possible for Katia to get the fish out of the well at that point or was it a huge waste of time?

Sash23-83 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 27, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sash23-83 posted:

Also Kazerad, was it actually possible for Katia to get the fish out of the well at that point or was it a huge waste of time?
Of course it wasn't, something would've gone horribly wrong for her no matter what she tried.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It wasn't a huge waste of time! She didn't manage to catch the fish, but she tried really hard and got a level-up message and learned how to knock things over with her mind. :shobon:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sash23-83 posted:

She could have just poisoned the well like a normal intelligent person who wouldn't be staying in town for long.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This whole sequence had me laughing.

Both the confused look the Clannfear has once summoned, and how embarassed it looks in the other panel.
And, again, Oblivion in-joke.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGHgrf2WZw

Brilliant.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

On that same note, from the PYF quotes thread:

seebs posted:

Actual content: Most cats can be rebooted. If you've ever had to deal with a cat who wanted to mess with something, they can be pretty persistant in trying to get at it after you hide it. Solution: Reboot the cat. Basically, you have to give it a handful of stimuli too fast for it to process them without forgetting what it was doing. For most cats I've had, that's about three things. My usual process: Pick the cat up, blow in its face, drop it (not like throwing it, just let it down pretty fast), then snap your fingers once on each side of its head.

If this works, the cat will just sit there for a few seconds, then maybe lick itself, and walk off. It will not go back to trying to do what it was doing. If it does, add another step to the process, and you'll probably have something that works for that cat. Most cats, it seems to be 3-4 items, though.

(This may not sound useful, but seriously, it has been a HUGE win for me.)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see. Well, after reading some of the actual posts that Khazerad has made, that puts me a bit more at ease. The internet is full of people who casually toss misogyny into stories and never intend to use it to make a statement about women's rights or anything, and I see that Khaz actually thinks about these things, rather than just uses "hurp durp women are sluts~!" as a standard way of thinking.

So, all my concerns seem to be exactly what I suspected: His way of trying to get the reader emotionally invested in the story and wanting Katia to succeed. Which is cool.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
Guys guys guys, I have a new favorite comment from the Prequel site:

quote:

i would like to talk to katia manganan, because i have many questions for you. like what is the history of the mages? where did mages come from? and more. i would love a chance to get to know your history in this quest you have. so if you are willing to talk, then look me up on the playstation 3 network. then sent a friend request to Fifi-La-Fume-Fan. dont go on my e-mail please. thank you and bye.

There is something unbelievably charming about it. If I had a PS3, I would friend this man and tell him ALL about where did mages come from.

Sash23-83 posted:

I would call it "kind of possible". As in, I was willing to have her succeed but didn't really have any specific "solution" in mind. If someone came up with a plan that pretty undeniably would've worked, I would've ran with it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
As also pointed out in the comments, we get to see a brief flash of what Oblivion looks like (along with Mr. and Mrs. Clannfear)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Clanfear's "uhhhhhh" expression is just the best.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh man, this update is just magical. :allears: Sigrid is fantastic.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It was nice of Stephane to get Sigrid to prepare magic dipping sauce for Katia, even though he appears to regard her as something he has to scuff off his shoe.

He sure is packing those breadsticks away.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gnome de plume posted:

It was nice of Stephane to get Sigrid to prepare magic dipping sauce for Katia, even though he appears to regard her as something he has to scuff off his shoe.

That's because real breadsticks are so good they're almost magical.

Can you imagine ACTUALLY magical breadsticks?

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost

Commenter #21 on the latest update posted:

Now why is Sigrid so concerned? And about what seems to be a trivial point? It may be nothing at all. Sigrid seems at least a little touched in the head. Could be she is just going overboard with an idea. But it could be something very serious and Sigrid is just making any excuse she can to hope the problem goes away. For example, we know that this guild is held in bad repute by some powerful forces. These forces might be willing to tolerate it as long as it pretty much is only one caster, but when it starts growing by taking in more members, they might decide to get rid of this danger before it gets worse. (Alternately there may be a bylaw somewhere that members are to be more than friends. If Sigrid has a fear of lesbian activity, she would already know Katia is quite sexually experienced, and might greatly fear Katia might insist on her rights.)

:gonk:

...What!?

Edit: vvvvv I've heard stories, but the whole MSPA world is something I've pretty much avoided till now, I almost regret my decision to read Prequel.

Sash23-83 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 28, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Sash23-83 posted:

...What!?

What more could you expect from MSPA forums rejects?

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Gnome de plume posted:

I don't know why, but Stephane's unchanging sullen expression cracks me up in every panel.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Is the 'hands' thing that mages do because of how it looks from the third person view when you have a spell readied in morrowind/oblivion? I just made that (possible) connection.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sash23-83 posted:

...What!?

Edit: vvvvv I've heard stories, but the whole MSPA world is something I've pretty much avoided till now, I almost regret my decision to read Prequel.

Don't ever read the forums, problem solved.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not a bad idea to just cut out the middleman and avoid all mspa poo poo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah, we should just quit reading prequel too since it came from the mspa forums in the first place and nothing good can come out of there ever, making prequel retroactively atrocious.

Sorry Kaz, them's the breaks when you associate yourself with Homestuck. You'll have to renounce everything mspa related if you want to get us true Prequel fans back.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 28, 2012

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, we should just quit reading prequel too since it came from the mspa forums in the first place and nothing good can come out of there ever, making prequel retroactively atrocious.

Sorry Kaz, them's the breaks when you associate yourself with Homestuck. You'll have to renounce everything mspa related if you want to get us true Prequel fans back.

What, you think the rest of the internet isn't going to leave weird and creepy comments? :v:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh noooo :(

But seriously, the MSPA Forums themselves aren't so bad. For the most part, 99% of the posts there are non-creepy and fairly intelligent. The few "problem people" in Prequel threads are usually posters who registered specifically for Prequel; I remember at one of the Hare Force events, one of the MSPAF admins even came up to me and jokingly said "so how's it feel to have ruined the MSPA Forums?".

The guy with the Mages Guild Weekly Lesbian Orgies theory is probably just someone who has watched too many of the Japanese Animes.

EDIT:
vvvvv Pretty sure WW was joking, Soonmot. vvvvv

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 29, 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I've never read Homestuck and have no opinion on it. What I have read are the offical Prequel suggestion thread and it is atrocious. This happens almost every time I read a non-SA forum associated with something I like.

Maybe you like unmoderated creepy fan posts, good for you. For those of us who do not, the solution is to avoid those forums. It has nothing to do with any "true fan" strawman bullshit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Soonmot posted:

This happens almost every time I read a non-SA forum associated with something I like.

Yeah, the trick there most people who like stuff enough to post about it are pretty weird. Not that SA is some bastion of normalcy, but if you've somehow got the impression that we aren't the outliers on this little bell curve of fan behavior you are sorely misinformed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Soonmot posted:

I've never read Homestuck and have no opinion on it. What I have read are the offical Prequel suggestion thread and it is atrocious. This happens almost every time I read a non-SA forum associated with something I like.

Maybe you like unmoderated creepy fan posts, good for you. For those of us who do not, the solution is to avoid those forums. It has nothing to do with any "true fan" strawman bullshit.

I'm not being as serious as you seem to think I'm being. :ssh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I love that the Clannfear blushes when Katia licks its foot. So many tiny touches in this comic :3:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

radintorov posted:

Because we readers are, fundamentally, dicks. :v:
Also the set-up of the story is: she has a pretty hosed-up past and while she's running away from her previous life to make a new one, she still has some problems that will take a long time to solve (if ever), which leads to a very low self-esteem, thus making her more likely to take stupid decisions and screw up immensely.
Keep in mind that one of the inspirations was another MSPA-inspired comic that is supposedly pretty hosed up and waaaaaay more depressing that this has ever been. (I can't remember the name, nor have read it yet)

Sorry to only answer this 6 days later, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Weaver's Boxdog story. \I asked about it only a few pages back in this thread, and Kaz confirmed that he read it.

pandaK posted:

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

But Problem Sleuth was never depressing or hosed up in that sense.

I think I recall Weaver saying a while ago that Ruby Quest was made possible by Problem Sleuth+her crippling depression.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 31, 2012

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Sorry to only answer this 6 days later, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Weaver's Boxdog story. \I asked about it only a few pages back in this thread, and Kaz confirmed that he read it.
Yeah, that's the one! I have no idea how I missed that when I searched for the post. Thanks, man! :)

And now I'll probably have to find it and read it, too, given that I brought it up in that post. Is it really that depressing, though?

Edit:
and now that I searched for Ruby Quest, I learned where a good numbers of avatars that I saw over the years come from. Yay. :downs:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 31, 2012

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god sigrid is going to eat the cat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Don't be ridiculous, Sigrid is a perfectly normal adult human. Why would she eat someone?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh, hey, a Prequeladventure thread!
I first read about the comic on RPS, and from the description I expected it to be more of a Larry David-esque disaster-fest than it turned out to be. I'm guessing the outcry from people in the comments who threatened to stop reading unless bad things stopped happening to Katia started getting to the author after a while. But without the constant expectation of disaster all these sequences wouldn't have such tension. Although I'm hoping for less horrors of a sexual nature in the future. Like many people, I was bothered by the creepy borderline-rape stuff and slightly misogynistic attitudes shown on a couple of occasions (and the fact that almost nobody in comments seemed to notice them). Seeing that Kazerad is at least aware of this concern is a relief.
Anyway, the comic's pretty funny, the art is great and I'm liking all the multimedia and interactive poo poo thrown in for greater immersion. It's a pretty interesting format. Can't wait to find out what the king stuff is all about.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

woodenchicken posted:

Oh, hey, a Prequeladventure thread!
I first read about the comic on RPS, and from the description I expected it to be more of a Larry David-esque disaster-fest than it turned out to be. I'm guessing the outcry from people in the comments who threatened to stop reading unless bad things stopped happening to Katia started getting to the author after a while. But without the constant expectation of disaster all these sequences wouldn't have such tension. Although I'm hoping for less horrors of a sexual nature in the future. Like many people, I was bothered by the creepy borderline-rape stuff and slightly misogynistic attitudes shown on a couple of occasions (and the fact that almost nobody in comments seemed to notice them). Seeing that Kazerad is at least aware of this concern is a relief.
Anyway, the comic's pretty funny, the art is great and I'm liking all the multimedia and interactive poo poo thrown in for greater immersion. It's a pretty interesting format. Can't wait to find out what the king stuff is all about.

:allears:
Oh look another one!

Actually, I'm kind of confused. From what you're saying, I can't tell whether you are aware that Kazerad actively posts in this thread, and if you to check through the previous pages, you'll see that on many occasions Kaz has addressed and discussed the themes of misogyny and tragedy-driven narrative and all that stuff.

And I'm assuming you never played Oblivion, since you don't get what the King stuff is all about? (Well, actually we don't necessarily entirely know what it's all about, but we know what it's referring to and can guess the implications. But I won't spoil that here. )

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think I recall Weaver saying a while ago that Ruby Quest was made possible by Problem Sleuth+her crippling depression.

Weaver's a man, baby.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

McFrugal posted:

Weaver's a man, baby.

Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. :mmmsmug:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Internet people are "it" or "that thing" until proven otherwise.

Also don't worry about the lack of tragedy, money down there's no way this Sigrid situation won't end in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Dolash posted:

Internet people are "it" or "that thing" until proven otherwise.

Also don't worry about the lack of tragedy, money down there's no way this Sigrid situation won't end in tears.

Yeah, but at least there's that barrel of fireworks at the orphanage so it'll be awesome

• Locked thread