Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
What's with the blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Seashell Salesman posted:

What's with the blood?

What blood?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

RagingBoner posted:

What blood?

In my pee.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

In my pee.
Wasteland 2: Obsidian turns your pee into a thin red paste

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

What's with the blood?

Looks like somebody isn't digging deep enough into their pockets to fund this.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Quarex posted:

During a lunchtime conversation today I learned of yet another goon who is currently in for $1,000; between this thread and private discussions, there are almost certainly 5 Goons among the future NPC/Location/Weapons in Wasteland 2. That is a pretty respectable percentage, I think. I would push for people in the $500 tier to go crazy and double their donation, but of course I realize there are not actually any $1,000 tiers left, and even I would not try to encourage someone to spend $2,500 to get their favorite childhood toy in the game.

But ... then again ... if I were a true fan, I suppose I would get my childhood cuddly naptime stuffed gorilla "Professor Suckthumb" immortalized in the game. He, you see, was a gorilla with a graduate's cap on, who could put his thumb in his mouth. What more apocalyptically-themed item can there be? There can be none more appropriate.

I wonder if they'll use the Kickstarter name attached to the donation, or the name attached to your credit card (or email you to ask what your full name is) when putting putting in NPC's/locations/guns/credits. I guess everybody using a screen name will be able to pick themselves out, and it'll be fun shooting 'sirwhiskers' with a 'x0r' in the caverns of 'pomfelo'.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I wonder if they'll use the Kickstarter name attached to the donation, or the name attached to your credit card (or email you to ask what your full name is) when putting putting in NPC's/locations/guns/credits. I guess everybody using a screen name will be able to pick themselves out, and it'll be fun shooting 'sirwhiskers' with a 'x0r' in the caverns of 'pomfelo'.

I'm sure they'll use the contact/notes form that gets sent out when the Kickstarter finishes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Seriously I'm sure in the instances of the people who donated thousands of dollars someone on the dev team will take a minute out to write an email going "Hey so what do you want to do for your reward?"

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
I want Chris Avellone to sign my collector's edition box too :(

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
This was probably brought up on previous pages but its weird to think there will be all these shrines and statues to donators in Wasteland 2 (nineteen by my count) just littered about or whatever.

Or maybe they'll shove them all in one hidden room somewhere.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

This was probably brought up on previous pages but its weird to think there will be all these shrines and statues to donators in Wasteland 2 (nineteen by my count) just littered about or whatever.

The Legendary Hall of Wasteland Fanatics.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Tombstone engravings, the time honoured tradition of getting people's names into an RPG randomly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

It was brought up a bunch of times and it shouldn't be weird at all. If all of them sell (and everyone wants their statue) then there are 31 statues. Normal areas to put statues: parks, office buildings, museums, art galleries, military bases, libraries, memorials, town halls, schools, and universities. Just 31 statues across a large world isn't that many, plus no one will complain if they dump some/all of them in a quirky redundant area.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It was brought up a bunch of times and it shouldn't be weird at all. If all of them sell (and everyone wants their statue) then there are 31 statues. Normal areas to put statues: parks, office buildings, museums, art galleries, military bases, libraries, memorials, town halls, schools, and universities. Just 31 statues across a large world isn't that many, plus no one will complain if they dump some/all of them in a quirky redundant area.

Yeah would it be so strange to come across Jason Alexander Memorial Library or a statue of John Twitterballs, first man to sail across the Atlantic ocean in a aquacar.

People are assuming by statues they mean gleaming golden figures able to be seen from miles around proclaiming how this person donated to kickstarter.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This was kind of interesting for a while, but then Obsidian came up and my wallet seemed a bit heavier than usual. :allears:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not really too excited about Wasteland 2 itself, just the focus of all these creative people making a game like this, at this point in gaming history. It's going to interesting to play and if I just can't hack the gameplay, I'm sure the world and stories and characters will be worth it.

And if it doesn't happen, I have proof the old ways are gone and will go order some more Fallout DLC or something.

I like this way of looking at it. It's not very often that the end of an era is signaled with such decisive closure as would happen if the game completely bombed. Either way, I'm glad I have front row seats! ...or maybe box seats or something. I don't know. I'm bad with metaphors.

Rinkles posted:

On the other hand, I'd suggest Fallout (or 2) over Arcanum without question. Even with patches Arcanum was never properly balanced, the character system is unintuitive and gimping yourself with a bad build is very easy. Combat is an abomination. It's simultaneously both laughably breakable and very punishing if you're trying guns for the first time. Fallout's combat isn't particularly tactical but it's straightforward, and 90% of the fights don't have you swarmed by the enemy within a turn of combat (you can avoid this in Arcanum but half of the time you'll be exploiting how the TB system/AI works to achieve this).

The latest fan patches make it a surprisingly smooth experience. There's an entry on the game in the OP of the old school PC RPG thread with a link to an easy to install collection of all the best fan patches and rebalances, and another link to a quick, spoiler-free FAQ with all the basic info you could ever want about how the game mechanics and stats work. In less than an hour, you can literally go from never having heard about the game to having it fully patched and having a good idea of how to build the character you want in a way that won't be gimped. It's never been easier to play the game at its absolute best, and since it's also one of the newest isometric style games, it really is one of the best for a total newcomer to the genre to try.

If you want to discuss it in further detail, feel free to bring it up in that thread, too.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I wasn't old enough to play Wasteland 1, but it sounds like a really cool time killer of a game. If they make it similar to Diablo III but with a huge post-apocalyptic universe and not the top-down whatever that dude is suggesting, I will be totally excited.

Donated a buck anyways since I loved that Angry Birds joke.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Paid my 15 bucks, this game will definitely be awesome so its a bargain imo!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Shogunner posted:

similar to Diablo III

It's not going to be anything like Diablo III.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Shogunner posted:

I wasn't old enough to play Wasteland 1, but it sounds like a really cool time killer of a game. If they make it similar to Diablo III but with a huge post-apocalyptic universe and not the top-down whatever that dude is suggesting, I will be totally excited.

Donated a buck anyways since I loved that Angry Birds joke.

The game you're looking for is Grim Dawn, not Wasteland 2.

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008
Changed mine from $15 to $50. Not that I think the game is going to be a technological powerhouse, but I hope the minimum specs are reasonably low so I can actually run this and Banner Saga.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, in on this. drat but this looks like it could be awesome.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tufty posted:

Thanks for this, I hadn't heard of Grim Dawn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tufty posted:

Or alternatively Krater.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Last hour was absolutely LOUSY, someone pulled a $500 pledge so there was barely any growth. Things are definitely petering off the Obsidian bump, too:

Here is the current chart:

Here is the new, updated projection graph:

Looks more like midnight of the 10th to get to 2.1 million.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't your statistics teacher ever warn you of the dangers of extrapolation?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

notZaar posted:

I can bet all I want with the house's money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've been actually curious about this little bit on the update email:

Brian Fargo posted:

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

Could they be talking about using the Onyx engine created by Obsidian? It seems like it would be a good fit, actually. The engine was created to load a bunch of stuff in the background as you move from area to area. The 3D would allow them to have far more character models and animations than sprite work would. In theory it would be a great idea.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Saoshyant posted:

I've been actually curious about this little bit on the update email:

Could they be talking about using the Onyx engine created by Obsidian? It seems like it would be a good fit, actually. The engine was created to load a bunch of stuff in the background as you move from area to area. The 3D would allow them to have far more character models and animations than sprite work would. In theory it would be a great idea.
That's a good bet. Earlier in the thread:

rope kid posted:

Onyx is a complete engine and set of tools. It's not a do-anything engine, but it's good for the sort of games we make (which is why we made it).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's with all the people who don't like New Vegas?

I hate the engine, especially the way the combat feels and couldn't get more than 30 minutes into it.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Orange Devil posted:

I hate the engine, especially the way the combat feels and couldn't get more than 30 minutes into it.

Did you like FO3, and if so, why FO3 and not FO:NV?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Orange Devil posted:

That's fair enough, of course.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

RagingBoner posted:

Did you like FO3, and if so, why FO3 and not FO:NV?

Haha FO3 lasted until I walked into a town build around an unexploded nuclear bomb and the sheriff asked me, a complete stranger, to just go disarm it. Yech.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

seorin posted:

It's not going to be anything like Diablo III.

Nah just perspective wise is what I mean. Isometric I guess. Top-down is pretty eugh.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Orange Devil posted:

Haha FO3 lasted until I walked into a town build around an unexploded nuclear bomb and the sheriff asked me, a complete stranger, to just go disarm it. Yech.

You sure gave them a decent chance!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

notZaar posted:

The real danger is not having error bounds.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

They didn't ask you. They just told you that there was a bomb there and he'd rather not let you touch it unless you knew what you were doing.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Teim posted:

You sure gave them a decent chance!

To be fair, the Fallout series isn't known for goofy settings or unrealistic interactions.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I can understand having an aversion to the Fallout 3 engine but why would it turn you off the second game and not the first? Illogical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orange Devil posted:

New Vegas is better than its engine, the writing, the quests, the story are all pretty good.

I fought the combat was better in NV too, in any case NV deserves more than 30 minutes, I don't think I even left Goodsprings in 30 minutes.

• Locked thread