Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You magnificent bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Tifa's lowest possible level is 7, which is the lowest in the game. Cloud comes close with 8 but 8 > 7.
But... but what about Aeris? :ohdear:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Indeterminacy posted:

But... but what about Aeris? :ohdear:

Aeris is forced out of the party after the Train Graveyard. If I can't have her in the party KOed she's getting 1/2 EXP. Just from the forced fights with Reno and in the Shinra HQ before she rejoins she's going to hit level 7.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Aeris is forced out of the party after the Train Graveyard. If I can't have her in the party KOed she's getting 1/2 EXP. Just from the forced fights with Reno and in the Shinra HQ before she rejoins she's going to hit level 7.

What, from level 2? How much Exp do those fights give?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

George posted:

FFXII is the rare RPG where I think having alternate costumes would have been a godsend. At least let me rock Hobo Basch for the whole game!

When you LP FFXII, remember that the entire game before Balthier and the gambit system is kind of annoying and terrible. I think it's about five hours on your first playthrough, and it drags. Once you get the whole gambit system the game transforms into a beautiful butterfly.

I played about 30 minutes or so, it's all I know. I can confirm it's annoying and terrible, yes.

NothingToFyr posted:

I hold the deepest sympathy for you to hear you'll be doing FFXII. That game was so boring it inflicted pain that seemed almost physical. It had a couple good characters, but I could not get into it. My main beef is that the 2 main characters have NOTHING to do with anything, and I recall hearing they were forced into the game by corporate meddling.

Idea for making the FFXII LP better: Edit out Vaan and Penelo from everything, and see how many things actually change.

You guys are not helping. It's gonna hurt isn't it :smith:

Twiddy posted:

I have something to admit.

Now, I know you all think of me as this guy who's amazing at every single game. I crush games on the first try, and come back for more, dominating all the supposedly hard bonus content. Hell, I've beaten FFXII into the ground 3 times while writing papers (perfect papers whose prose flowed like water and read like a philosophical work, natural), and I don't even like the game all that much.

I've never beaten the bonus boss.

The question is - what were these papers about?

Brainamp posted:

What happened? Never having played FF7 I'm confused.

Aeris level is the Party Average - 3. Since Tifa is the Average -2, if you skip random battles you can make things get really crazy like OFS did.

While Elentor is doing the sane thing

I can play Duke Nukem 3D and Diablo 1 without being hit once. Diablo 3 Beta too.

WHO'S SANE NOW.

Seriously though, those Boss Battles demand videos. I want to see your suffering in video form.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 31, 2012

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Elentor posted:

Vaan's whininess is offset by the other characters telling him to shut up in major cutscenes. It's enormously satisfying.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
If you fall asleep while doing the FFXII LP, it's okay, we don't blame you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Left Ventricle posted:

GarlandG to the rescue! Some fuckery in the JP version can get you a level 1 Yuffie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFrw_c326Q

For that it's worth this video kinda spoils one of the final bosses (granted, in image form, so you probably won't know what it is, but still).

Other than that, I got a kick out of "Well, now I have my level one Yuffie!" like she were a pokemon or something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Azure_Horizon posted:

If you fall asleep while doing the FFXII LP, it's okay, we don't blame you.
Plus he'll still be able to beat the game provided his head is kinda leaning on the controller stick.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Trasson posted:

For that it's worth this video kinda spoils one of the final bosses (granted, in image form, so you probably won't know what it is, but still).
Oh, didn't realize that. I'll edit the post to reflect that. Thanks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really like FF12. It can drag a little, but it does its best to offset that by making tedious stuff play itself out. I think it's a question of mindset - do you resent that the tedious stuff is even there, or are you glad that you don't have to do it yourself? Do you hate that the game can play itself, or do you accept that it's sometimes better and realize that you don't HAVE to make it like that?

Don't go in with a negative opinion. Or any at all. It's very different, but I think it's also very good.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Elentor, when you get around to FFXII you should play the International version if at all possible. There's an English translation patch here, although it requires that you have both versions of the game (as far as I know the patch basically just transfers all the text from the standard version to the International one).

The International version has a fast-forward button to decrease tedium, a job system so not all characters are interchangeable (you select a job for each character and that limits them to learning certain skills / equipment use), and probably a few other nice features I don't know about. I think it might make gambits available earlier on as well. Either way the job system makes it worthwhile on its own, being able to fast forward is nice too.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Elentor posted:

FFXII is my favourite Final Fantasy. (FFIX is my second favourite.)

I am not saying the people who dislike it are wrong to do so, I'm just saying that you should make up your own mind, not pre-judge it based on other people's opinions.
The Gambit system does utterly change the gameplay once you get them.

Radiofreak
Feb 25, 2011

Tin Pin's a battle between SOULS!

It's like your fiery passion slams into the other guy's, like WHAM!
The other big thing FFXII International does is remove the damage limit, which makes the postgame much less painful. With it the only thing that really annoyed me was the chaining system.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I've actually been playing International recently and it definitely improved my opinions on the game. I've been spoiled by emulators and I'm glad someone finally put a speed up button in a videogame.

If only all these obvious problems were fixed before the game came out, but hey.

Anyway Elentor, a while ago you asked for peoples favorite chapters, I'd have to say my favorite was Chapter 35. That conversation between Cloud and Aeris really showed just how different Squaresoft and Square Enix are.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
I actually really liked FFXII but never beat it - Like with every Final Fantasy game I've played, I basically just do the level grinding thing until I'm strong enough to blast through enemies, except that gets really tedious, especially at higher levels, and it almost always ensures I never finish the game. I played through FFVII four times and still never picked up on a lot of the game-breaking stuff in this thread. Really, it kind of makes me amazed at how bad I am at Final Fantasy 'cause I feel like I've been doing it wrong this entire time, haha. I know I'm technically not, but the games would be so much more fun for me if I knew I could do all of this stuff beforehand. I love this LP for showing all of that (and because FFVII has always been one of my favorite games) and think an LP for FFXII would be awesome. I'd love to see how someone who's never played it before but is actually good at Final Fantasy games approaches it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KataraniSword posted:

My opinion varies with the moon phases as to everything else in FF12, but I have to say, the bestiary really IS a labor of love.

Now if only Yiazmat didn't exist.
Does it not look like a mass of spelling errors if you complete it? It was great, but the spelling looked like an alpha script of FFT.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

When we left off, Aerated was level 2. What strange things will happen this time...?

Well first you don't need to name characters I say to get people talking like Foghorn Leghorn.

Running is not the answer.

The answer is to throw barrels.

Of course since I have a party member named Barrel this got awkward.

Anyway at Sector 6 I buy some more potions since Airbuster wrang me dry.

I don't buy any Titan Bangles since I will get in exactly one fight before Mythril Bangles show up, and I'll run from that one.

Cover is really really helpful considering Aerated's limit breaks.

No you nitwit W.H. Taft is a dude.

Okay fine whatever I'm dating the president.

Ugh a giant and long screen with no chance to avoid an encounter.

A Hell House attacks, showing that Midgar's housing market has undergone so many crises that the houses are fed up with it.

That's the one battle before Mythril Armlets.

To hell with Taft I want the cart. That thing is fancy.

I get three Mythril Bangles for the defense and materia slots.

And I sell the Titan Bangle, leaving an old Iron Bangle for switching armor around. Money is tight about now. Luckily, Steal is right around the corner.

CLOUD has to be the prettiest girl ever.

Otherwise, he's thrown in a room with Cornero's minions.

The minions give EXP. We can't have that.

So yeah, a montage of the choices to get CLOUD to maximum pretty.

Actually what you pick determines if he picks Aerated or Taft instead. Taft is the most common option, Aerated shows up a few times, and CLOUD is only if you pick all the right options.

And the makeup, don't forget that.

Since I won't be at a shop until after Steal, I splurge on potions.

blah blah blah relationship stuff I don't care about FREE ETHER

Okay, glad that worked. I had literally closed my eyes to avoid the suspense since I knew that if I messed up, my last save was right at entering Wall Market.

Also getting CLOUD in bed with the Don allows this. It's 3 points for Barrel.

Right. Aps. Aps is pretty boring since I used the free Hyper behind Conero's bed to put Fury on Aerated. Healing Wind recovers 50% HP and she only has to lose about 25% to get it full.

I probably should've got Seal Evil here but :effort:

Sewer Tsunami is my best offense actually. Cross Slash hits for 110 and stuns him, but that's it. Taft's punching for 25.

drat low strength sucks.

I was worried he'd lick Aerated and remove her Fury, but luckily it never happened.

And he kills himself with Sewer Tsunami, letting Aerated get all the EXP.

Forced EXP isn't so bad. She's got 40 more HP, doubled her MP, and got a few points in her stats.

Just wish boss EXP wasn't so low until near the end of disc 1, you know?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does it not look like a mass of spelling errors if you complete it? It was great, but the spelling looked like an alpha script of FFT.

People need to stop complaining about the odd spellings and British pronunciations in FFXII. If one person even thinks about complaining about the K in "magick" and "technick" in the FFXII thread I will flip right the gently caress out. It literally could not matter less.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

George posted:

People need to stop complaining about the odd spellings and British pronunciations in FFXII. If one person even thinks about complaining about the K in "magick" and "technick" in the FFXII thread I will flip right the gently caress out. It literally could not matter less.

Magick is alright, but technick is just plain weird man. I cannot get over that spelling. It should have just been technique. It's been technique in every other FF game that that word has appeared in.

But it's pretty minor in the laundry list of problems FFXII has.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I made a big deal about it in FFTA2's LP, but really, you get used to it. I'm not TWD, looking to burn Alexander O. Smith at the stake for a few extra flavour letters.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not TWD, looking to burn Alexander O. Smith at the stake for a few extra flavour letters.

I see what you loving did there.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Magick is alright, but technick is just plain weird man. I cannot get over that spelling. It should have just been technique. It's been technique in every other FF game that that word has appeared in.

I suppose they chose it to fit in with the "ick" of "magick". At least, that's what I'd guess, making it more old and Germanic sounding.

And they put some care and effort into it, they didn't just half-arse it with things like "Thou musteth use thy Chocobo-beasteth, to travel across the desert...eth". They gave things like Drace's speech and the Occuria's speech a poetic flow.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Not even Freakazoid references can stop goons from bickering about FFXII. :negative:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I love your low-level run stuff so far! Please keep doing them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not even Freakazoid references can stop goons from bickering about FFXII. :negative:

quote:

* Do not talk about other posts. Like "People need to stop discussing X".

I'm loving the low-level run but please don't do this. I want to read the horrible things people have to say about FF12 so that I don't get disappointed when I play it.

Something like that happened when I watched the Doom movie for the first time. It was so universally hated and despised that I was pleasantly surprised since I expected much worse.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I suppose they chose it to fit in with the "ick" of "magick". At least, that's what I'd guess, making it more old and Germanic sounding.

And they put some care and effort into it, they didn't just half-arse it with things like "Thou musteth use thy Chocobo-beasteth, to travel across the desert...eth". They gave things like Drace's speech and the Occuria's speech a poetic flow.

Wasn't magic in FF6 spelled as Magik?

If I recall correctly magick was originally spelled like this to distinguish between what really weird people considered "real magic" from "stage magic", so the usage in video-games is not that (early-)historically inaccurate, specially since Vagrant Story had a lot of inspiration from late medieval time.

Amusing thing, in Portuguese there are two different words for it. Magia refers to magic supposed to be real in their respective universe (so FF spells are magia), and Mágica refers to stage magic. You're probably gonna forget about this tomorrow, but who knows!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 1, 2012

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Elentor posted:

I'm pretty sure it was spelled "magic". Maybe you're thinking of Magitek?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

and other intersting stuff about Portugese.

I think you're thinking of magitek, which is just magical technology (but with a "k").

Magick is a valid, albeit, very archaic spelling, having been around for at least 500 years or so until standardised spelling. And you're right in that "Occultist Aleister Crowley chose the spelling to differentiate the occult from stage magic", but he revived the spelling in the late 1880-1900s for his own purposes or something like that.

FFXII in general uses very old spellings or terms, and very old sounding grammar constructions, things like "The Nethecite is ours to give! To chosen bearer, or to none!"

Someone in the Main FF thread brought up a very interesting point about some of the fantasy terms in XII being based on Latin bases, such a Manufacted Nethicite and Deifacted Nethicite; manufacted doesn't exist in English spellings, but "manufactured" does, and both derive from "manufactus" ("hand made"). Deifacted has no real world equivilent, but "Dei" or "Deus" - god made.

And now I've learnt something new about the Portuguese language :)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I had no problem with the dialogue and spelling in FFXII, but it was really awkward and strange when backported to Final Fantasy Tactics. Maybe it's just being used to the original script, maybe it's the lack of Fauxspeare voice acting to make the archaic speech sound normal, maybe it's Ramza being black (no wait, that part is awesome), but there's just something weird about the Zodiac Stones being referred to as "auracite" to make them fit in with FFXII, even if it totally works on a technical level.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pesky Splinter posted:

Deifacted has no real world equivilent, but "Dei" or "Deus" - god made.

And now I've learnt something new about the Portuguese language :)

Ooh. That word would be perfect for my novel. I think I'll use it, thanks!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
All this talk about magic vs. magick, etc., and no one's brought up machina?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Golbez posted:

They start making machines in X-2 and say there's a difference.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Golbez posted:

From what I'd heard in the X-2 thread, apparently Square Japan liked that translation so much they started using it for everything, creating an inescapable localization feedback loop.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Golbez posted:

Because machina is a pretty common term in English conversation. Even if you're not a writer, chances are you've heard the term deus ex machina before and know what it means, even if its meaning isn't known. Magick, on the other hand, is an unfamiliar spelling of a familiar word, assuming you don't live in 1886.

Nakar posted:

but there's just something weird about the Zodiac Stones being referred to as "auracite" to make them fit in with FFXII, even if it totally works on a technical level.

Really, that's the biggest thing that bugged me about WotL. Did we have to tie the games harder together? I mean, that just stings of lazy retconning even if, as you said, it works in a technical level.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Elentor posted:

Something like that happened when I watched the Doom movie for the first time. It was so universally hated and despised that I was pleasantly surprised since I expected much worse.

Well, I found FFXII to be a really great experience once I sat down and fiddled with it. I can see some problems people have with the game, but I found the game to be a terrific experience, one that did cost me a night's sleep to play.

ButGiruvegan can go up in flames. I hated that drat level.

KataraniSword posted:

Because machina is a pretty common term in English conversation. Even if you're not a writer, chances are you've heard the term deus ex machina before and know what it means, even if its meaning isn't known. Magick, on the other hand, is an unfamiliar spelling of a familiar word, assuming you don't live in 1886.

Without needing to go into a history lesson, I just assumed that they spelled magick that way based on how the word sounds aloud.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 1, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tactless Ogre posted:

ButGiruvegan can go up in flames. I hated that drat level.

Thanks for reminding me that sequence existed.

rear end in a top hat.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

They start making machines in X-2 and say there's a difference.

No, the Al Bhed say that calling them something different means that people think of them differently. They're fully aware that the only difference is a letter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zandar posted:

No, the Al Bhed say that calling them something different means that people think of them differently. They're fully aware that the only difference is a letter.

Sylrehy and sylreha aren't even pronounced that differently :(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's kinda funny. I didn't 100% FF12 or anything, but I honestly can't remember anything except two boss fights. Granted I actually liked Balthier and a couple other characters, just none of it was extremely memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nakar posted:

maybe it's Ramza being black (no wait, that part is awesome)

Wait what the gently caress is this? Seriously? I mean I'm not doubting or challenging what you have to say, just if I had a quote or something that would be hilarious.

Also re:Magitek, I think that in particular was just a perfect storm of data limits and the 90s. It's like in three or four hundred years, some futuristic linguistic historian will look upon FF6 as an analytical component of his doctoral thesis and say, "yes, Magitek is the essence of the 1990s."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 1, 2012

• Locked thread