Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
It's kind of interesting watching Vic's posts kinda growing a bit more bitter and annoyed as the Kickstarter donations start to taper off. At one point he states they didn't put in the Kickstarter presentation that the 500k will be going for English dubbing because they believed the funding was a done deal, and it wasn't needed. Now that they're unsure about funding, they won't be doing any dubbing other than the opening song. Oh, and no Japanese company is going to want to work with them anymore if this doesn't go through, so all of their other plans will die. Just really... reactionary, increasingly bitter sounding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Edison Carter posted:

It's kind of interesting watching Vic's posts kinda growing a bit more bitter and annoyed as the Kickstarter donations start to taper off. At one point he states they didn't put in the Kickstarter presentation that the 500k will be going for English dubbing because they believed the funding was a done deal, and it wasn't needed. Now that they're unsure about funding, they won't be doing any dubbing other than the opening song. Oh, and no Japanese company is going to want to work with them anymore if this doesn't go through, so all of their other plans will die. Just really... reactionary, increasingly bitter sounding stuff.

What project is this, and where are these posts?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It's the hilariously awful Class of Heroes 2 kickstarter. I don't see any posts on kickstarter itself, but someone in the comments links a NeoGAF thread where Vic Ireland is posting. I don't know what's harder to believe, that Vic Ireland is trying to make a comeback, or that he's managing to gently caress things up yet again.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

seorin posted:

It's the hilariously awful Class of Heroes 2 kickstarter. I don't see any posts on kickstarter itself, but someone in the comments links a NeoGAF thread where Vic Ireland is posting. I don't know what's harder to believe, that Vic Ireland is trying to make a comeback, or that he's managing to gently caress things up yet again.

Ah, I knew it was that horrible project, just didn't know where to look to find the bitching. I'm glad to see it's not doing that well (more money for better translation? really?).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I find it hard to believe that there actually seem to be people over on NeoGAF willing to support that poo poo to the tune of $100 or more.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ah, I knew it was that horrible project, just didn't know where to look to find the bitching. I'm glad to see it's not doing that well (more money for better translation? really?).

Sorry, yeah it's the NeoGaf thread I was referring to. I should have been more specific. Looking at the Kickstarter for it again, it still amazes me that he's allowed to put the project up there, the primary reason for it being the CE of the game, and he pretty literally gives no details about what is going to be in the box. I mean the tiers have little trinkets that get added, but the base boxed CE, the central reason for the existence of this whole thing, is completely undefined. I'm kind of surprised that's allowed by Kickstarter itself.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Edison Carter posted:

Sorry, yeah it's the NeoGaf thread I was referring to. I should have been more specific. Looking at the Kickstarter for it again, it still amazes me that he's allowed to put the project up there, the primary reason for it being the CE of the game, and he pretty literally gives no details about what is going to be in the box. I mean the tiers have little trinkets that get added, but the base boxed CE, the central reason for the existence of this whole thing, is completely undefined. I'm kind of surprised that's allowed by Kickstarter itself.

I'm surprised that they don't include any video of an already released game. :allears:

And it's amusing that they took down that horrible fanart with that anime girl's bra snapping.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'm surprised that they don't include any video of an already released game. :allears:

And it's amusing that they took down that horrible fanart with that anime girl's bra snapping.

It's a project for translating a released gane and they included no gameplay footage?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

It's a project for translating a released gane and they included no gameplay footage?

They have a few screenshots (added in an update), but no video at all. That's a first for the Kickstarter projects I've seen, except for the also terrible Your World one (how a millionaire couldn't make a video I have no idea).

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

I think iOS is tricky because if you give away the game in the pledges, then it makes it harder to make the sales charts, right? Star Command didn't give out their game for that reason. Check out their kickstarter for some ideas (also see how hilarious and awesome their pitch video is):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

Music, exclusive content, well-designed posters/physical stuff, incorporating the backers into the project somehow (as a character or even just a thanks in the credits) all works.

This has definitely pushed me in the right direction, thanks!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yodzilla posted:

I find it hard to believe that there actually seem to be people over on NeoGAF willing to support that poo poo to the tune of $100 or more.

Another forum (not GAF) I read had a thread about this kickstarter, and it's some of the most battered-wife syndrome poo poo I've read in a long time.

Remember, this is the same kickstarter that

• Has no description of what the collector's edition actually entails
  • Has the lowest tiers of rewards be thank you emails
  • Includes as a "reward" your name in compile code, which is literally inaccessible in any way, shape, or form
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched at the ludicrous price of fifty-nine dollars, which doesn't seem so bad until you realize that it's a loving PSP game and, worse, it's on UMD, which the latest version of the PSP hardware doesn't even support
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched in a format the vast majority of PSP owners will be able to use at the even MORE insane price of one hundred loving dollars
  • Is attempting to fund the CE of a sequel to a poorly-received, poorly-selling Wizardry clone on PSP
  • Will have the game come out regardless of if the proposal succeeds or fails
  • Is holding a better localization hostage
  • The lowest possible tier to donate to just simply see your name in the credits, literally just a line saying "thanks for supporting the game", is at five hundred loving dollars

And yet still people were spending $100+ on this. Why? Because they were hoping that it'd influence Gaijinworks to bring over/provide CEs of games they actually wanted to play. Like, that was the reason they were donating. Most of the donators didn't even want the game, they just wanted Gaijinworks to localize some other, more desired japanese game. It's really the weirdest loving thing, talking to a backer for this project, since there's this real Stockholm Syndrome-esque "Oh, I know they're treating me terribly and this is a huge loving grift RIGHT NOW, but maybe in the future..."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 1, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Occupation posted:

Another forum (not GAF) I read had a thread about this kickstarter, and it's some of the most battered-wife syndrome poo poo I've read in a long time.

• Includes as a "reward" your name in compile code, which is literally inaccessible in any way, shape, or form
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched at the ludicrous price of fifty-nine dollars, which doesn't seem so bad until you realize that it's a loving PSP game and, worse, it's on UMD, which the latest version of the PSP hardware doesn't even support
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched in a format the vast majority of PSP owners will be able to use at the even MORE insane price of one hundred loving dollars
  • Is attempting to fund the CE of a sequel to a poorly-received, poorly-selling Wizardry clone on PSP
  • The lowest possible tier to donate to just simply see your name in the credits, literally just a line saying "thanks for supporting the game", is at five hundred loving dollars

And yet still people were spending $100+ on this. Why? Because they were hoping that it'd influence Gaijinworks to bring over/provide CEs of games they actually wanted to play. Like, that was the reason they were donating. Most of the donators didn't even want the game, they just wanted Gaijinworks to localize some other, more desired japanese game. It's really the weirdest loving thing, talking to a backer for this project, since there's this real Stockholm Syndrome-esque "Oh, I know they're treating me terribly and this is a huge loving grift RIGHT NOW, but maybe in the future..."

They are also assuming that 6 people will want to spend 50,000 dollars to be added into the game as a character. How they plan on doing this with this project just being localization... Well I dunno.

Everything about that project is mind boggling... I loving played Class of Heroes 1 and it was god awful. A horrible Wizardry clone for systems that oh yeah.. HAVE A FANTASTIC REMAKE OF WIZARDRY ALREADY HUUURG. Super kawaii anime desu Wizardry was poo poo and I am not surprised Atlas said no to 2.

Hell I doubt CoH2 even had a budget of 500k for development.

I'm just glad all of this didn't lead to ridiculous amounts of funding for every inane video game project on Kickstarter. That would have sent an even worse message if anyone who put something up during this initial rush got whatever amount of money they asked for. That would have been a bubble so fragile that the inevitable crash could be seen from space.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 1, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

randombattle posted:

They are also assuming that 6 people will want to spend 50,000 dollars to be added into the game as a character. How they plan on doing this with this project just being localization... Well I dunno.

Everything about that project is mind boggling... I loving played Class of Heroes 1 and it was god awful. A horrible Wizardry clone for systems that oh yeah.. HAVE A FANTASTIC REMAKE OF WIZARDRY ALREADY HUUURG. Super kawaii anime desu Wizardry was poo poo and I am not surprised Atlas said no to 2.

Hell I doubt CoH2 even had a budget of 500k for development.

I'm just glad all of this didn't lead to ridiculous amounts of funding for every inane video game project on Kickstarter. That would have sent an even worse message if anyone who put something up during this initial rush got whatever amount of money they asked for. That would have been a bubble so fragile that the inevitable crash could be seen from space.

Wow, I did not even notice the add a character thing. Maybe that's what the 500k is actually for? :v: That or they'll just rename some NPC.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Wendell posted:

Wow, I might just give them money simply because they have a reasonable goal. This just makes $69,000 for that Metacell game even more retarded.

$69,000 really isn't all that much for developing a game.

Metacell has 6 people on staff, and they say it's going to take about 38 weeks to complete, which is approximately 1440 working hours or so per person, or 8640 man hours combined. If these guys pay themselves the federal minimum wage (7.50 an hour) for the entirety of the project and have no other expenses, then that's gonna cost $64,800, which is actually above what they'd actually receive from Kickstarter if they hit their target on the nose. Also that cost doesn't include all of the other expenses such as software, hardware, marketing, licensing and any other unexpected surprises that could push that budget out.

So what I'm saying here is: Don't balk at $50k+ projects as if the developers are just being greedy, that's just how much games cost to make. Some other projects will pop up asking for substantially less, but a lot of those are either very near completion, have smaller teams and/or scopes, are only working on them part time (Which will result in less overall effort being put into the game), or may have even had a previous external investment. Not all projects are equal, so their funding is going to vary wildly.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

Okay, to be fair, the Kickstarter was specifically for the UMD CE, so the only package they were planning for sale of the UMD was the CE box, so that tier makes sense (in context of the Kickstarter, not that the kickstarter itself makes much sense).

The rest of your complaints, I get you. Maybe not with the fervor you're throwing it out there with, but I agree with your points. It's weird, Working Designs sincerely has some of the most loyal fans out there. I loved them way back when no other companies were doing what they did, but over time they got to be pretty irrelevant, and their changes just stood out as being more aggravating than welcome. I really think Victor thought people's nostalgia for him and his old company (remember, this is a guy that used to talk frequently about a fan literally kneeling down and kissing his feet as he left a meeting at E3) was on the level of Tim Schafer/Wasteland. I kind of wonder what's going through his mind now after getting what, only around 10% of what he needs after several days.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Yodzilla posted:

Also found Fist Puncher which looks like it might be a neat River City Ransom style game. Maybe. The reward tiers are a little weird though.

They are, and its too bad. But, I am going to throw a bit their way anyhow; been waiting way to long for the real RCR2 to come out anyway. And it looks like it has a decent sense of humor.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

AntiPseudonym posted:

So what I'm saying here is: Don't balk at $50k+ projects as if the developers are just being greedy, that's just how much games cost to make.

It's substantially less than how much games cost to make. Tim Schafer gave a figure of $2-3 million for your average XBLA game. (But of course those are made at a real company with an actual office, on computers that aren't just someone's personal laptop, using expensive licensed software, with everyone being paid fair wages.)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

AntiPseudonym posted:

$69,000 really isn't all that much for developing a game.

Metacell has 6 people on staff, and they say it's going to take about 38 weeks to complete, which is approximately 1440 working hours or so per person, or 8640 man hours combined. If these guys pay themselves the federal minimum wage (7.50 an hour) for the entirety of the project and have no other expenses, then that's gonna cost $64,800, which is actually above what they'd actually receive from Kickstarter if they hit their target on the nose. Also that cost doesn't include all of the other expenses such as software, hardware, marketing, licensing and any other unexpected surprises that could push that budget out.

So what I'm saying here is: Don't balk at $50k+ projects as if the developers are just being greedy, that's just how much games cost to make. Some other projects will pop up asking for substantially less, but a lot of those are either very near completion, have smaller teams and/or scopes, are only working on them part time (Which will result in less overall effort being put into the game), or may have even had a previous external investment. Not all projects are equal, so their funding is going to vary wildly.

What about people asking 500 thousand dollars to translate a subpar Wizardry clone?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Master_Odin posted:

Notable Ongoing Projects
The Banner Saga - $100,000 Goal. Ending 4/20. Goon is working on it. (SA Thread)
FTL: Faster Than Light - $10,000 Goal. Ending 4/1. FUNDED (SA Thread)

Banner Saga's at $340k+ right now so I'd say it's funded!

FTL's Kickstarter ended today, they raised $200,542, more than 20 times their goal.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

Banner Saga's at $340k+ right now so I'd say it's funded!

FTL's Kickstarter ended today, they raised $200,542, more than 20 times their goal.

I'm glad to see so many of these actually intelligent sounding and interesting games getting way above and beyond what they were asking for. It's absolutely encouraging intelligent game design and not just whatever people think sounds popular.

Though looking at a lot of the successful kickstarted projects I can see a lot of these failing. There is no way some indie studio is gonna put together a fully featured MMO for 32k. It's just not gonna happen. A lot of the successful projects really don't look like they were asking for anywhere near enough to actually do what they want to do.

I think the real test for a kickstarter system being used solely to make games is really gonna happen about 5-6 months down the line when a lot of these pie in the sky concepts turn out to be unfeasible with the funding they were looking for.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

randombattle posted:

I'm glad to see so many of these actually intelligent sounding and interesting games getting way above and beyond what they were asking for. It's absolutely encouraging intelligent game design and not just whatever people think sounds popular.

Though looking at a lot of the successful kickstarted projects I can see a lot of these failing. There is no way some indie studio is gonna put together a fully featured MMO for 32k. It's just not gonna happen. A lot of the successful projects really don't look like they were asking for anywhere near enough to actually do what they want to do.

I think the real test for a kickstarter system being used solely to make games is really gonna happen about 5-6 months down the line when a lot of these pie in the sky concepts turn out to be unfeasible with the funding they were looking for.

They may not be asking for money to make the game though. Could be just enough to fill in a missing feature, looking for enough to make an alpha which can then be used to secure a publisher, or just looking for enough funding to get it out the door after a lot of work has been done (or private funding not being enough).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

randombattle posted:

And when the Double Fine Adventure honeymoon wears off.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://twitter.com/#!/JustinMcElroy/statuses/186328300069715969

"Got a press release for "EA Team Up" where you pay to "jumpstart" games that interest you. EA matches player funding. #GROSS"

dying laughing, can't breathe

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm amazed I haven't come across any Kickstarter April Fool's jokes, that twitter notwithstanding.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kaboobi posted:

"Got a press release for "EA Team Up" where you pay to "jumpstart" games that interest you. EA matches player funding. #GROSS"

I know it's April Fools and all but I really want to believe that something this hilariously sick could exist.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HondaCivet posted:

I know it's April Fools and all but I really want to believe that something this hilariously sick could exist.

That's what indie games lack, DLC milkage

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

I'm really excited about this game, I didn't get around to donating for it but I'm definately picking it up on release. 10k was a decent enough marker for them to get it done with, dev tools or whatever. But 200k will let them work on it full time for a longass time without having to worry about other work or expenses.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaboobi posted:

I really want this to be real, because it's really funny.

Also, don't think for a second that this wouldn't become a successful endeavor for them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If that somehow gets EA to hire indie developers to remake a bunch of their awesome old games I'd be completely on board. New Strike, Road Rash, Haunting Starring Polterguy and Crue Ball games ahoy!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Takedown supporters are desperate. With 5 hours left to raise another $25,000, they are spamming the comment sections of other projects.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Let's hope that the Kickstarter mods takedown those spam comments.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I backed Takedown, but I had a feeling it wouldn't make it. $200k to "prove that there is interest" is a really bad pitch.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

Let's hope that the Kickstarter mods takedown those spam comments.

Oof.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

The Takedown supporters are desperate. With 5 hours left to raise another $25,000, they are spamming the comment sections of other projects.

Why aren't they just throwing the last bit of money at it themselves? Going of what was said on the Bombcast in the past week, paying a bit for 175k is a lot better than nothing at all. I guess they'll do that at the last minute but they're kind of pushing it with the time they have left.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Rebel Blob posted:

From Wasteland:

quote:

Ivan Felix about 1 hour ago
Please help support Christian Allen's kickstarter. It ends today and could use your generous backing. Thank you.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

quote:

Jacques Lafargue about 1 hour ago
Guys takedown is close to getting funded and we only have a few hours left. Yes i understand some of you may not be interested but i think every kickstarter should have a chance. No title should be rejected. Thats what kickstarter is about really giving everything a chance. if you want to visit http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter theres the link

"No title should be rejected." loving :aslol: come on now.

e: oh hey Valdis Story met their goal and apparently are adding a new playable character and a Mac version at launch http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460275866/valdis-story-abyssal-city

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2012

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
$1300 left for Takedown with 3 hours to go, I think they're going to actually squeeze by.

Edit: Refreshed and they made it!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Takedown's about to meet met its goal. I'm a little disappointed since I was hoping it would be one of the failures that showed people kickstarter isn't just a magic money tree. It still certainly could fail, considering at this point a game kickstarter that only makes it to 100% funding is kind of weak (as far as "showing interest" goes), but I wouldn't get as much of a kick out of it seeing as people are actually getting their money taken.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I still don't understand what's even going to come out of Takedown and now it just feels like they guilted people into donating.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yodzilla posted:

it just feels like they guilted people into donating.

It's pretty much what just happened. I considered pledging before, but the more I see of this project, the less I feel inclined to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I didn't donate, but I wouldn't mind paying for an actual good, tactical shooter in the vein of SWAT 4 if they ever manage to release it.