Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The White Dragon posted:

Wait what the gently caress is this? Seriously? I mean I'm not doubting or challenging what you have to say, just if I had a quote or something that would be hilarious.

Ramza is voiced by Phil LaMarr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tactless Ogre posted:

Well, I found FFXII to be a really great experience once I sat down and fiddled with it. I can see some problems people have with the game, but I found the game to be a terrific experience, one that did cost me a night's sleep to play.

ButGiruvegan can go up in flames. I hated that drat level.

Without needing to go into a history lesson, I just assumed that they spelled magick that way based on how the word sounds aloud.

The "k" is actually completely useless in the word "magick" in terms of pronunciation, which is why I find it useless to spell it as such, no matter how hard you're trying to fit in with archaic spellings.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The "k" is actually completely useless in the word "magick" in terms of pronunciation, which is why I find it useless to spell it as such, no matter how hard you're trying to fit in with archaic spellings.

So when we play football, do we kic the ball?

Very little of the spelling to pronunciation in English makes any sense. It's only really flavour text anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Very little of the spelling to pronunciation in English makes any sense. It's only really flavour text anyway.

This is why IPA was invented.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

If the last "k" in kick was not needed, it would have faded out just as "magick" did. Watching word trends points out what letters are useless and which ones are not.

Of course, if "k" drops out of kick in the future, then all the better. You also couldn't drop the "k" in sick because then it would be confused with "sic" which is already a word.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Azure_Horizon posted:

:words:

Unrelated: Your avatar's lovely, where's it from?

vvv: Ah! Of course. I wish I had a PS3 :(

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 1, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

eating only apples posted:

Unrelated: Your avatar's lovely, where's it from?

Journey, on the PSN, made by the same dudes who made Flower. It's just about one of the best art-games (and best games) ever made.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Of course, if "k" drops out of kick in the future, then all the better. You also couldn't drop the "k" in sick because then it would be confused with "sic" which is already a word.

Bow. Bow.

The headpiece, and genuflection. The spelling on words based on purely how they sound would be a confusing awful mess of things. But we can tell the difference.

To give you an example:
T' hed peace, andur jennuflexshun. T' spelin' on wurdz baztd on puierlee 'ow thay sand wuld bee a konfuzin' oarfull mess off fings'.

And that's ignoring all the other accents and dialects in the Anglophonic world.

As I said, it's just for the flavour text in game, and it fits well with the settings. If they said it in say XIII - a futuristic city, then it wouldn't work. Instead they abuse fantasy apostrophes. But they work for that setting.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 1, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bow. Bow.

The headpiece, and genuflection. The spelling on words based on purely how they sound would be a confusing awful mess of things. But we can tell the difference.

To give you an example:
T' hed peace, andur jennuflexshun. T' spelin' on wurdz baztd on puierlee 'ow thay sand wuld bee a konfuzin' oarfull mess off fings'.

And that's ignoring all the other accents and dialects in the Anglophonic world.

As I said, it's just for the flavour text in game, and it fits well with the settings. If they said it in say XIII - a futuristic city, then it wouldn't work. Instead they abuse fantasy apostrophes. But they work for that setting.

I can understand why they chose some of the spellings and pronunciations, but "technick" just looks dumb and I find no defense can stop it from looking loving retarded. It's like a four year old trying to say "technique."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would expect a four year old to spell it "tekneek."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Some Numbers posted:

I would expect a four year old to spell it "tekneek."

I really doubt a four year old would know that "nique" is "neek". Maybe a redneck saying technique, I dunno; whatever makes technick look as dumb as it is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yea nevermind, this talk took a turn for the worse. Shut up about spelling.

Tactless Ogre posted:

Well, I found FFXII to be a really great experience once I sat down and fiddled with it. I can see some problems people have with the game, but I found the game to be a terrific experience, one that did cost me a night's sleep to play.

I still have to finish Xenogears. I stopped halfway because I could not care less and nothing was making sense. Does it get any better?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

I still have to finish Xenogears. I stopped halfway because I could not care less and nothing was making sense. Does it get any better?

Understood :(

Not unless you like cutscenes and endless dialogue.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

The Dark Id did an lp of Xenogears so the rest of us could witness the dreaded 2nd part.

It doesn't.

Edit: or did you mean Xenosaga?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Elentor posted:

The first disc is the best. Even at that, it's got good and bad points. But, seriously, once it hits the second disc, it just goes straight down into a hole and never crawls back out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

George posted:

People need to stop complaining about the odd spellings and British pronunciations in FFXII. If one person even thinks about complaining about the K in "magick" and "technick" in the FFXII thread I will flip right the gently caress out. It literally could not matter less.
It wasn't anything about the pronunciations, it was literally spelling errors that looked like someone typing with fat fingers and not bothering to fix it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elentor posted:

I want to read the horrible things people have to say about FF12 so that I don't get disappointed when I play it.

Elentor posted:

Bringing up FF12 or War of the Lions in pretty much any goon thread that will allow it will invariably come down to people complaining about magickckckckckckckck. As I said, it's something you kind of zone out after the first HOUR (and considering the prologue is maybe five hours long, that's not that long at all) and then move on to more important things, like "Why does Fran sound like she's voiced by a Swedish bodybuilder?" and "why is getting new gambits paced in such an utterly retarded fashion?".

I apologize on behalf for people who won't apologize, for the spelling conversation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I will apologize for my part in the spelling argument.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Some Numbers posted:

I will apologize for my part in the spelling argument.

Ditto. Sorry Elentor, again.

Which version is it of FFXII that you're playing, or hoping to play?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Elentor posted:

I'm loving the low-level run but please don't do this. I want to read the horrible things people have to say about FF12 so that I don't get disappointed when I play it.

Might be alone in my opinion here, but i'd rather this thread be about FF7. There's a million page thread in Games about the Final Fantasy series so it just seems pointless to talk about 12 and others here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Might be alone in my opinion here, but i'd rather this thread be about FF7. There's a million page thread in Games about the Final Fantasy series so it just seems pointless to talk about 12 and others here.

While I do kind of agree, it's hard to talk about Final Fantasy 7 in any kind of real detail without spoiling things that he hasn't played through yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've stolen 58 Ethers from Deenglows in the Train Graveyard so far.

Does that count as FF7?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Does that count as FF7?

Jesus, are you going to even use any of them, or just use them all for money fodder?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe he's going to combine a low level run with a perfect run?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Does that count as FF7?

No, it doesn't. It counts as grounds for being sanctioned.

(Goddamn man, your devotion is astounding.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe he's going to combine a low level run with a perfect run?

Impossible. There's an item, called the Earth Mallet, available only as a random drop.

The Ethers are all for money. Gotta get my SWAG.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
There's a new warp glitch that was apparently just discovered that could let you do a certain something without a gameshark code. I don't want to link the video even though the video tries to avoid spoilers itself.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Olibu posted:

There's a new warp glitch that was apparently just discovered that could let you do a certain something without a gameshark code. I don't want to link the video even though the video tries to avoid spoilers itself.

What's the context of it? If it's a speedrun technique post it in the speedrun thread

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Alternatively, post it in the FF thread. If it's among the things I'm thinking it might be, yeah, I totally wanna see this if it's not--oh, right, today's April first. Must be warier on the internet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Olibu posted:

Link it with spoiler tags. I'm really curious.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Elentor posted:

Link it with spoiler tags. I'm really curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gKdr37gsI

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, interesting. Not what I was expecting, but that's pretty cool.

Of course everyone always goes for what happened in the end of the video, but I was thinking some kind of "Young Cloud" shenanigans, haha

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I'm curious about that as well. I'm sure it would screw with the game big time, but it's probably worth trying.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Impossible. There's an item, called the Earth Mallet, available only as a random drop.

I've never heard of the Earth Mallet before. Does it just cast Quake 2 or something?

(And do a "close enough for government work" perfect run.)

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Olibu posted:

"Tags: Final Fantasy 7, Final fantasy VII, ff7, ffvii, warp, glitch, sequence, break, breaking, speed run, speedrun, perfect game, perfect file, April's, fool, prank, Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, hidden, scene"

SEEMS LEGIT.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

likecnsnnts posted:

"Tags: Final Fantasy 7, Final fantasy VII, ff7, ffvii, warp, glitch, sequence, break, breaking, speed run, speedrun, perfect game, perfect file, April's, fool, prank, Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, hidden, scene"

SEEMS LEGIT.

What a waste of 8 minutes

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Sorry for not thinking about April Fools on the day before April Fools.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Elentor posted:

It doesn't. The story doesn't actually have any resolution, ever. Whenever it seems like it's setting the stage for a fun mission it'll play out in a cutscene, or give you control for a battle that's impossible to lose. The story is at its best when it's cribbing from FF7 and Evangelion, which it does a lot.

It has some really impressive and memorable characters and sets a mood like no other game I've seen, but after a promising first few hours the whole experience is a train wreck. If you haven't done the Tower of Babel yet I recommend you never do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kill the things that drop them and reload until you get one after only one fight, then W-item the poo poo out of it. Would that push you up an extra level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What a waste of 8 minutes

Well, that was disappointing. A lot of effort and time wasted for a fairly mediocre lie.

• Locked thread