Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You could say you are enraptored by the book.

New thread title? I think so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I've been thinking how best I can describe my feelings on the series thusfar, I just finished Bonehunters.

I believe the sentiment is "fuuuuuuuuuck."

As an aside, if the series is 15 (10 Erikson, 5 that other guy) books long, why is the recommended reading order in the OP only 12 long?

Edit: Whoops, missed the part where only 3 are finished. That makes sense then.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also just finished Bonehunters, I wrestled with this one because even though it was catching back up with a lot of characters, it was boring as hell for about the first 40%. And then poo poo BLEW UP YEAH WOO.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

So I'm like 150 pages into The Crippled God, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the gently caress is The Snake. I see Shake characters listed under The Snake section in the dramatis personae but whenever I read Snake sections I'm just confused as gently caress and nothing they're doing makes sense, and hasn't over the last book or two they've been in. The Shake are in an entirely different place from what I can tell. Maybe I should stop reading while high.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm only about halfway through Dust of Dreams and it looks like The Snake is (spoilered just in case I guess) a long procession of kids, some of them from the Elan tribe, who are walking through the Wasteland after something horrible has happened to them. So far the information from that end has been sort of vague though and I obviously haven't reached Crippled God but I think you're talking about the same thing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah, that part was hard to follow for a lot of people in this thread. Just keep chugging on.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think the Snake storyline was totally unnecessary and should have been edited out. It was just too late in the series for me to have large sections of the book be devoted to a completely new and foreign plot with no foreshadowing or familiar characters for reference.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Lord Jigger posted:

So I'm like 150 pages into The Crippled God, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the gently caress is The Snake. I see Shake characters listed under The Snake section in the dramatis personae but whenever I read Snake sections I'm just confused as gently caress and nothing they're doing makes sense, and hasn't over the last book or two they've been in. The Shake are in an entirely different place from what I can tell. Maybe I should stop reading while high.

The Shake or the Ribby Snake?

I'm about 1/4 the way through The Crippled God at this point.

I'm guessing you mean the Ribby Snake... Mostly what the The Ninth Layer said & they're close to Kolanse where the Bonehunters are marching in the wastelands, I believe. Also, there's a bunch of secret Forkrul Assail watered bloods in the snake trying to kill them. I'm guessing they've been running from the Forkrul Assail who killed all their families originally in their Justice culling.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can safely skip the Snake business, and if it comes up again in a later main-character chapter the answer is "a wizard did it."

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It was a bad, unnecessary plot that didn't really go anywhere and probably serves as the best example of something an editor should have ixnayed from the beginning.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
But an editor wouldn't have known it would go nowhere at the tenth book though.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

An editor would have said hey listen Steve it's probably a bad idea to start this strange plot with a bunch of kids we know nothing about in the next to last book.

Especially since any good editor would have known where the story was leading up to.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The Snake had some cool parts and was kind of disturbing, but yeah it just confused the hell out for a while too. You just got to roll with it. Book wouldn't have changed much without it.

TCG: Icariums 8 split personalities was kind of confusing for a few chapters as well, but ended in a badass way.

Oh, and the Shake storyline pretty much sucks, except for the Watch.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Today I finally finished Memories of Ice (awesome book!) but I have a question or two.

Is Toc the Younger mentioned in Gardens of the Moon? Why was Togg stuck in him? Paran, what's up with the Hellhound in him? And why was the Matron crushing Toc over and over in that one Warren?

If the answer to any of those is, "Shut up and read Gardens of the Moon," then just say so.

Sorry, the books have been out for a long time now so I just assumed. :shobon:

E again: I have read Deadhouse Gates but GoTM isn't in my library at the moment. And yeah, I do mean Paran, sorry.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 25, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My answer to all of those things would probably be, "Use spoilers because that's what you do to be nice to people who haven't read the book."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Monolith. posted:

Today I finally finished Memories of Ice (awesome book!) but I have a question or two.

Is Toc the Younger mentioned in Gardens of the Moon? Why was Togg stuck in him? Itkovian, what's up with the Hellhound in him? And why was the Matron crushing Toc over and over in that one Warren?

If the answer to any of those is, "Shut up and read Gardens of the Moon," then just say so.

Sorry, the books have been out for a long time now so I just assumed. :shobon:

You skipped the first one? What about deadhouse gates? The storylines weave in and out in so many different ways over different books it is really not worth it to skip any of them, there's just too much to miss out on.

As to Itkovian, do you mean Paran? You find out in the first book. Toc is in the first book. And as to the Matron in MoI they do explain it in that book, it has been too long to remember but suffice it to say her mind is broken. Maybe you just glossed over it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Matron was just loving insane.

One of my favorite moments from MoI is when Rake kills Matron by dropping the loving Moon's Spawn on her. Right before she was about to be killed anyway.

Most of the ascendants are so useless in MoI, which is why I'm always confused by people complaining about there being too many powerful characters.

Also yes just read the first book. MoI was pretty much a direct sequel to Gardens of the Moon.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Guys I have a problem.

I read all the books except the last one. Tried starting Crippled God and really couldn't remember what the gently caress happened with all those characters. Is there a summary of what should I know before starting again?

Also, later books REALLY need a decent editor.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
My review of Midnight Tides: http://loopingworld.com/2012/03/25/midnight-tides-steven-erikson/

Explaining the few things I didn't like about the writing.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Abalieno posted:

My review of Midnight Tides: http://loopingworld.com/2012/03/25/midnight-tides-steven-erikson/

Explaining the few things I didn't like about the writing.

Why not tell us here rather than pimping your blog?

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Because it's lengthy and I don't think it would interest that many people. It's just a link, takes little space and can be easily ignored.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I just finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne and I'm confused as gently caress, it was better written then Esselmosts previous books but I have a lot of questions...

When did Topper stop loving around and interdicting the Imperial Warren and become Clawmaster again? Also didn't he recognize something in Kiska and didn't kill her because of it. Something of her blood?

Did the Moranth let the Seguleh leave because they realized they where still allied to Daseem or because he now was 'First'? If the latter, how come?

Oru, the dude that found the First-mask found it in Moons Spawn right? And got Darujistan with Antsy. But didn't he leave to find the Seventh? Which should be Rakes? Why was the First-mask in Moon's Spawn?

Who the gently caress is Orchid? The child of Anomander and Silanah? Where was she raised. So little is revealed of her that it really annoyed me.

Malakai just buggers of? Some dude that wanted to out-steal Apsalar. But how could stealing from a vacant Moon's Spawn be harder that doing it when tons of Andii are occupying it?

What was the task that Tayschreen decided to try that Kiska didn't like? All of this was confusing as hell...

Wasn't Circlebreaker one of Kruppes old spys?

Did Caladan just walk into Darujistan, punch the ring to break it and leave? This was really anti-climactic. Also the T'Lan Imass that got rescued in the mine and now lives with Reast, what was the point of him going in and out of the Great Hall. It seemed to me that Kruppe had already defeated the Tyrant.

We don't really find out much about the Tyrant King do we? Just that he keeps on coming back, this time hiding in Ebbin.

Who are The Heel that knew Fisher? Are we supposed to know?

Overall I liked the book and finished it in 2 days but I think Esselmont left us guessing about to much. And some stuff seemed really arbitrary.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I've generally really enjoyed the series and just finished Reaper's Gale. Unfortunately RG's ending felt pretty shaky to me. The only part that was truly legit was when Karsa turned down the TCG's offer. It kind of felt like the whole book was a build up to that. I also had a good laugh when Quick Ben owned Silchas Ruin out of nowhere (after a whole book of talking about how badass he is). Tehol and Bugg's puzzle was a good part too. Unfortunately the rest of the ending kind of felt like a disorganized mess.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've just started reading Gardens of the Moon for the second time... my first go at it I didn't make it far at all, but I'm already about 85 pages deep this time and I think I might actually make it through. I really want to get through it, especially if the writing improves in the later books.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was the same way when I read Gardens of the Moon for the first time. Took me about half a year to get through the first two parts and then about a week to finish it once the story had hooked me. From then on it was smooth sailing.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Midnight Tides:

Last night at about 3am I finished the book because I couldn't sleep, not because I couldn't stop reading. I just don't see how this one was enjoyable apart from the confluence of events that took place at the end.

I knew Bugg was something, but I was surprised to find out that he was Mael, and it's nice that he went to go beat the crap out of the Crippled God there in the epilogue. I also wish I had seen more of the Ceda, he was a minor character, but he trapped the huge demon that Hannang had summoned underneath the lake....with the help of a Jaghut, and Bugg. The Errant seems to be the god of subtlety or somehow nudging people in the direction that he wants them to take (like he might've done with Fear and Trull when they ended up at Seren Pedac's House). Also, is traveller (the one guarding the real Throne of Shadow) Scabandari Bloodeye? My guess is yes.

I was also disappointed that I didn't get to see how Hannang and Rhulad flooded the realm, and how Trull became Shorn, I thought that would certainly happen in this book, but now that it didn't, I'm going to assume it comes later with him trying to bring Rhulad back from insanity.

I'll probably start the 6th book later this week some time.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Concerning Traveller, no. He is not that guy. He's this other guy. What guy you ask? A human guy. Maybe you could guess. He's someone you've heard of by then. Re-reading it may yield clues but I'd avoid looking for spoilers anywhere as you'd probably get too many.

It's been awhile but they dont say who he is explicitly until Ian. C. Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Hondo82 posted:

Concerning Traveller, no. He is not that guy. He's this other guy. What guy you ask? A human guy. Maybe you could guess. He's someone you've heard of by then. Re-reading it may yield clues but I'd avoid looking for spoilers anywhere as you'd probably get too many.

It's been awhile but they dont say who he is explicitly until Ian. C. Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard.

Don't they make it explicit who he is in Toll the Hounds? If not it's pretty much an open secret at that point anyway.

And Toll the Hounds is before Crimson Guard isn't it?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

The only other one I can think of is either Iron Bars or Corlo.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

pakman posted:

The only other one I can think of is either Iron Bars or Corlo.

It's actually given away in GotM or DHG as a throwaway line. So not technically a spoiler, but he's Dassem.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I always miss the small things. :( Guess I'm not a critical enough reader.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pakman posted:

You can be forgiven in this series because there is an overwhelming number of characters who occasionally change names and most of whom can be anywhere at any particular time.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Stew Man Chew posted:

You can be forgiven in this series because there is an overwhelming number of characters who occasionally change names

Don't forget genders!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

pakman posted:

There are tons of small things in this series that can be missed but can be really cool when you catch them, I'm looking forward to when I re-read the series and see what else I pick up. Since you finished Midnight Tides, remember when Bugg near the end comes upon the group of Tiste Edur, and one is beating Tehol bloody? The one Bugg snaps his fingers at to send to Bugg's realm? That's the dead Tiste Edur the malazans find in Memories of Ice before the fight at Coral, the one that looks like it was crushed to death by a great pressure.

I like the little stuff like that, peppered throughout the series, and that one is over 2 books!

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 2, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Hondo82 posted:

Bah I mentally parsed this whole discussion as being about Edgewalker who I didn't recall reading about so I was scared to hover over the spoilers.

Is he anyone we learn more about? I need to re-read them all and finish off the last two.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

There are tons of small things in this series that can be missed but can be really cool when you catch them, I'm looking forward to when I re-read the series and see what else I pick up. Since you finished Midnight Tides, remember when Bugg near the end comes upon the group of Tiste Edur, and one is beating Tehol bloody? The one Bugg snaps his fingers at to send to Bugg's realm? That's the dead Tiste Edur the malazans find in Memories of Ice before the fight at Coral, the one that looks like it was crushed to death by a great pressure.

I like the little stuff like that, peppered throughout the series, and that one is over 2 books!

See, that's another thing I didn't pick up. If that corpse was in Bugg's realm, though, how in the hell did the body end up outside of Coral? Did it just wash ashore, or was in place there with a purpose?

There was a blog linked several pages back where two people were re-reading the series and writing down their thoughts about it. I was tempted to read it because of things like this, but it's got whole-series spoilers in it.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

pakman posted:

See, that's another thing I didn't pick up. If that corpse was in Bugg's realm, though, how in the hell did the body end up outside of Coral? Did it just wash ashore, or was in place there with a purpose?

There was a blog linked several pages back where two people were re-reading the series and writing down their thoughts about it. I was tempted to read it because of things like this, but it's got whole-series spoilers in it.

Well, Bugg is the Elder God of the sea, so it makes sense that the entire sea is his "warren". I don't imagine that Bugg really thought about where the body would surface.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Junk Science posted:

It's actually given away in GotM or DHG as a throwaway line. So not technically a spoiler, but he's Dassem.

They confirm it at the start of Toll the Hounds, too. That was when I picked it up.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The whole Traveller thing got made a huge fuss of over on the official forums, due to a few members insisting that Traveller couldn't be Dassem because their eyes were different colours. Yes, really. We made fun of them the whole time up to and after the reveal in TtH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm 45 percent into Bonehunters and it still feels like a prologue. Will this get any better soon?
It's so underwhelming after Midnight Tides which is my favorite up to now. Did anyone else catch a Wooster and Jeeves vibe with Tehol and Bugg? And was the story about hairy eels a Simpsons reference?