Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Since Weaver's been brought up, Weaver actually has ended up homeless, or at least nearly homeless. As far as I can tell, it's being sorted out now. Sort of a depressing news to counteract the story being at a relatively non-depressive point.

Anyways, back on Prequel, at least now we know what the piles of treasure are for. And Sigrid apparently doesn't entirely enjoy the fact that most of the guild running costs is taken care of by donations. At least, if I'm reading that right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Who wants to bet that any porphyric hemophilia that Katia might have picked up hasn't actually been cured and now she's going to begin the painful process of turning into a vampire?

Seriously, just licking a clanfear's foot is not proper alchemy, Sigrid.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
My theory is that Sigrid is using Alchemy to create love potions to make rich, affluent people fall in love with her and give her and the guild money/support/lots of paintings.

Think about it. :tinfoil:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. :mmmsmug:

No. Really. He's a guy. I've been around him on IRC to learn enough personal facts to know that for certain.

Go check out his tumblr or FA page, that'll give you a better impression of what he's like (no, neither location is worksafe). Did you know he was also like, half the drawfags in /tg/ at one point? He did Player 1, EFG, Chain Chomp Chan, and a few other things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

My theory is that Sigrid is using Alchemy to create love potions to make rich, affluent people fall in love with her and give her and the guild money/support/lots of paintings.

Think about it. :tinfoil:

I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking more that her and Stephane are magical thieves. Which still could happen even if she's making love potions to make rich, affluent people fall in love with her.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I can't tell whether you are aware that Kazerad actively posts in this thread, and if you to check through the previous pages, you'll see that on many occasions Kaz has addressed and discussed the themes of misogyny and tragedy-driven narrative and all that stuff.
Yeah I know, he said it was the character's attitude and not his. From the comic it wasn't clear that he disagreed with it.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And I'm assuming you never played Oblivion, since you don't get what the King stuff is all about? (Well, actually we don't necessarily entirely know what it's all about, but we know what it's referring to and can guess the implications. But I won't spoil that here. )
I meant I wonder why Katia is having these nightmares. Although I have to admit I don't remember alnost anything about Oblivion's story at this point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daktar posted:

Who wants to bet that any porphyric hemophilia that Katia might have picked up hasn't actually been cured and now she's going to begin the painful process of turning into a vampire?

Seriously, just licking a clanfear's foot is not proper alchemy, Sigrid.
It's the first effect on the ingredient, which means you get it if you eat the ingredient raw.

Given that the ingredient then goes away, pretty sure you'd need to swallow it whole or something, though. Should've given Katia some nail clippers, Sigrid!

EDIT: See also chowing down on 20 pound chunks of Ebony in Morrowind.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Zereth posted:

EDIT: See also chowing down on 20 pound chunks of Ebony in Morrowind.

Glass, too. People in TES have bowels of steel.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
My worry is that "donations" means something like "stealing", and "stealing" here means "supplying bandits in exchange for a cut", and that means oh great, here comes that orc.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Zenzirouj posted:

Well now I'm tempted to create a Duke Nukem character in Skyrim.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Kgummy posted:

Since Weaver's been brought up, Weaver actually has ended up homeless, or at least nearly homeless. As far as I can tell, it's being sorted out now. Sort of a depressing news to counteract the story being at a relatively non-depressive point.

I just heard about that today :(. I wish I'd learned sooner, I would've put a note or something up on my site to help him/her/it/them out.

woodenchicken posted:

Yeah I know, he said it was the character's attitude and not his. From the comic it wasn't clear that he disagreed with it.

This could just be my personal tastes, but I've always disliked it when authors go out of their way to emphasize the subjectivity of a characters' viewpoint. Most of the story is narrated from Katia's point of view, and I think it would lose something if I had characters in the background saying "boy Kat, your thought patterns sure are unhealthy!" just to make sure the reader understood. If a reader reads the story and wants to assume I am a heartless mysognist, that's fine as long as they remain entertained and keep reading. This is Kat's story, not mine.

Though fun background here: when it comes to character writing, a sort of defining moment for me came years and years ago when I was reading some obscure furry webcomic about two teens who started an assisted-suicide business (the comic might still be out there, I forget all the details). The comic was extremely entertaining, but it was also kind of horrifying how violent and twisted it was. I assumed it had to be written by some very, very sick and troubled individual. So, curiosity got the better of me and I started looking up info about the author... and if I recall right, I discovered he was actually a police officer who lost a close family member to suicide.

But the thing is, you could never tell this from his writing. It was never preachy, never heavy handed. There were a thousand places he could've detailed to say "suicide is wrong!", but instead he got into the minds of his protagonists and never broke character. You were left with the vibe that suicide was a bad idea, but you could never really tell if that was what the author wanted you to think - and that made the writing so much more compelling. It was one of my first introductions to the whole idea that an author could write protagonists that vastly differed from him in personality and beliefs.

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm not actually sure if eating glass is impressive. All the lore references I can find on that green volcanic glass describe it as "lightweight", "flexible", "easily worn down", and "excellent at absorbing shocks". I might end up portraying it as having the texture and consistency of rubber.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 2, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Many a Skyrim character has dined heartily on giants' toes and bees, washed down with dwarven engine oil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kazerad posted:

Though fun background here: when it comes to character writing, a sort of defining moment for me came years and years ago when I was reading some obscure furry webcomic about two teens who started an assisted-suicide business (the comic might still be out there, I forget all the details). The comic was extremely entertaining, but it was also kind of horrifying how violent and twisted it was. I assumed it had to be written by some very, very sick and troubled individual. So, curiosity got the better of me and I started looking up info about the author... and if I recall right, I discovered he was actually a police officer who lost a close family member to suicide.

But the thing is, you could never tell this from his writing. It was never preachy, never heavy handed. There were a thousand places he could've detailed to say "suicide is wrong!", but instead he got into the minds of his protagonists and never broke character. You were left with the vibe that suicide was a bad idea, but you could never really tell if that was what the author wanted you to think - and that made the writing so much more compelling. It was one of my first introductions to the whole idea that an author could write protagonists that vastly differed from him in personality and beliefs.

You should put an FAQ page on your site and just paste this.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Orrrr instead of putting a warning label on an internet video game parody comic maybe people who don't like the realistic portrayal and often overlooked hardships of addiction and sexuality can just not read the comic? Or even better, they can keep making suggestions for the comic and Kazerad can keep on explaining why their suggestion doesn't work. Those are my favorite.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 3, 2012

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindow posted:

Orrrr instead of putting a warning label on an internet video game parody comic maybe people who don't like the realistic portrayal and often overlooked hardships of addiction and sexuality can just not read the comic? Or even better, they can keep making suggestions for the comic and Kazerad can keep on explaining why their suggestion doesn't work. Those are my favorite.

Seriously? You're not sure why someone, on THIS internet, might be concerned over a webcomic repeatedly having the main character call herself, be called, act or be seen as a slut, whore, prostitute, hussy, stripper, et cetera?

Do I really need to make a five-second google search to show how many friggin' webcomics there are where that kind of talk and think and speech lead to the main character literally becoming a slut, whore, prostitute, et cetera?

When the OP doesn't mention that Khaz is posting in the thread and has addressed these very concerns, and a few minutes of poking through the thread(In a way where we're trying to avoid spoilers) doesn't turn up any sign of it, maybe, just maybe, you could be a little more explanatory to new readers.

Or you could just continue to be smug and arrogant and holier than thou.

That works too.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
All that the readers get upset about are only a character acting realistically or responding realistically to their actions and their conscious (the comments). The only parts of the comic that have handled Katia's alcoholism and promiscuity improperly have been the users in the comments.

Katia feels ashamed about things she has done in the past, just like a real person. Katia keeps drinking even though she knows it's wrong and everyone tells her not to, just like a real alcoholic. Katia has sex willy nilly even if she feels ashamed about it later, just like a real sexual addict. Katia has low self-esteem and beats up on herself a lot, just like anyone else who has been through the trauma that she's been through.

Katia's character is almost uncomfortably realistic and it's really off putting to see the white knights of the internets push aside all of her interesting characteristics and get mad that she isn't a stereotypical tough girl from a video game.

Kazerad handles all of these issues really well and there's no way you can mistake his comic for some crappy anime furry comic with lots of naked fanservice unless you have tunnel vision.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 4, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sindow posted:

Kazerad handles all of these issues really well and there's no way you can mistake his comic for some crappy anime furry comic with lots of naked fanservice unless you have tunnel vision.

What about that orc Gro-Up having a tramp stamp of his own face? That's just shameless pandering to his fan's erotic fantasies! :mad:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindow posted:

I'm not saying you can mistake his webcomic for that. I'm saying that a fan who randomly stumbled on it, read it, and liked it enough to care about the future direction of the comic could easily think "God, I hope this doesn't turn into one of those really loving terrible comics with so much promise and so much failure".

You're talking about this comic like it has some kind of Gunnerkrigg Court-length story having already be told. So far, Katia has fumbled around in one town, had a misadventure in a crypt, and gotten to another town. In terms of the narrative, that's not really that far at all, and a lesser author could easily have her come upon some kind of horrendous furry genderswitching dicknipple magic device in a closet in this very Mage's Guild that became the new plot element.

I would recommend at the very least that the OP have that very post by Khaz, if not something explaining that "yes, it can seem hosed up at times. It is intentional, because this is one of them there thinky pieces of literature. Don't start worrying that this is some kind of slut-shaming piece of wank."

Not like you, or most other people around here are willing to handle new readers with kid gloves in any way. gently caress, if I came in right now and saw you raging the gently caress out because someone thought "Hey, there's a lot of Katia calling herself some really horrendous things. Supwitdat?", I'd probably dismiss Prequel as having one of those retarded fanbases full of assholes.

Seriously, chill the gently caress out. You don't need to embody your avatar.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What about that orc Gro-Up having a tramp stamp of his own face? That's just shameless pandering to his fan's erotic fantasies! :mad:

There have been countless fanfictions written about Gro-Up's pec flexing abilities alone. Countless.

And he deserves them all. :allears:

rotinaj posted:

You're talking about this comic like it has some kind of Gunnerkrigg Court-length story having already be told. So far, Katia has fumbled around in one town, had a misadventure in a crypt, and gotten to another town. In terms of the narrative, that's not really that far at all

If you water down the story to that limit then you're going to be confused because Katia has a ton of interesting background to her that you won't be able to see unless you pay attention to the way she responds to comments. The most interesting part of any character is their motivations, not their actions. All the people who are getting mad are only looking at her actions.

If you get mad every time she calls herself a slut, you should get out your katana, kick down your door and venture out into reality where this comic is based and be prepared to be surprised at how regular people act.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 4, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Sindow posted:

All that the readers get upset about are only a character acting realistically or responding realistically to their actions and their conscious (the comments). The only parts of the comic that have handled Katia's alcoholism and promiscuity improperly have been the users in the comments.

Katia feels ashamed about things she has done in the past, just like a real person. Katia keeps drinking even though she knows it's wrong and everyone tells her not to, just like a real alcoholic. Katia has sex willy nilly even if she feels ashamed about it later, just like a real sexual addict. Katia has low self-esteem and beats up on herself a lot, just like anyone else who has been through the trauma that she's been through.

Katia's character is almost uncomfortably realistic and it's really off putting to see the white knights of the internets push aside all of her interesting characteristics and get mad that she isn't a stereotypical tough girl from a video game.

Yeah, sorry for impugning the gritty social realism of a comic about a cartoon video game cat.

It sounds like you don't really get how ideas can be telegraphed through storytelling. You can have a story that depicts real life events and it can still have feminist or misogynistic overtones, or racist or antiracist ones, or a million other sentiments that an author might want to express. It's not a question of "is it realistic," it's of how it's presented. And Prequel does have issues with how it presents a character's "realistic" alcoholism and sex addiction (not least of which being playing a rape for laughs, twice).

As we've seen in this thread, quite a few perfectly intelligent people, most of whom have probably enjoyed (without reservation, even) other entertainment that covers similar issues, have posted about being uncomfortable with some of the aspects of the comic. It's happened frequently enough here to suggest it's not an uncommon reaction, and whether you agree with it or not it's a valid one.

This is a really enjoyable comic. A lot of people who think it is a really enjoyable comic also think some aspects it are worthy of serious criticism. Freaking out and making bizarre ad hominems and strawman attacks against them isn't going to persuade anyone.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, sorry for impugning the gritty social realism of a comic about a cartoon video game cat.

It sounds like you don't really get how ideas can be telegraphed through storytelling. You can have a story that depicts real life events and it can still have feminist or misogynistic overtones, or racist or antiracist ones, or a million other sentiments that an author might want to express. It's not a question of "is it realistic," it's of how it's presented. And Prequel does have issues with how it presents a character's "realistic" alcoholism and sex addiction (not least of which being playing a rape for laughs, twice).

As we've seen in this thread, quite a few perfectly intelligent people, most of whom have probably enjoyed (without reservation, even) other entertainment that covers similar issues, have posted about being uncomfortable with some of the aspects of the comic. It's happened frequently enough here to suggest it's not an uncommon reaction, and whether you agree with it or not it's a valid one.

This is a really enjoyable comic. A lot of people who think it is a really enjoyable comic also think some aspects it are worthy of serious criticism. Freaking out and making bizarre ad hominems and strawman attacks against them isn't going to persuade anyone.

Appealing to the populace of people who agree with you is no more convincing than Sindow's "it's gritty" argument.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Hmm. Perhaps a slight shift in topic. So how do you guys think things will go wrong at the guild? There are so many possibilities...

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Yes, on a lighter note, I just finished another part of the PA flash. Part 11, just the exploration game, and Part 12, more of the comic panels, is up at http://www.nothotbutspicy.com/pa/ Let us come together to enjoy this great comic. :)

As for the guild, whatever else happens I just hope the Diversity Mural isn't damaged!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hmm. Perhaps a slight shift in topic. So how do you guys think things will go wrong at the guild? There are so many possibilities...

I'm banking on something either blowing up or summoning a Storm Atronach.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

idonotlikepeas posted:

Katia gets a little too overcharged with magicka, and then someone makes a particularly witty cat burn.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Zoolooman posted:

Appealing to the populace of people who agree with you is no more convincing than Sindow's "it's gritty" argument.
Yeah, I was arguing more against the browbeating than the comic.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So Kaz recently streamed a playthrough of Skyrim with mods for added difficulty. I didn't see it all the way through, but he did play as a Khajit with massive mutton chops.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Welp. That answers that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Excellent final-panel turnabout webcomicery.

I'm starting to get fond of that little clanfear.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Telvanni Bug Musk, for all your persuasion needs. ;-*
And yeah, I'm also getting fond of that little critter.

IronSaber posted:

So Kaz recently streamed a playthrough of Skyrim with mods for added difficulty. I didn't see it all the way through, but he did play as a Khajit with massive mutton chops.
Was the stream saved anywhere? I'm actually interested in watching it, now.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

radintorov posted:

Telvanni Bug Musk, for all your persuasion needs. ;-*
And yeah, I'm also getting fond of that little critter.

Was the stream saved anywhere? I'm actually interested in watching it, now.

I'm actually more partial to the perfume being a mix of troll fat and imp gall. Alchemy is icky.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Not to complain about railroading, but yeah I'm gonna complain a little about railroading.

As far as Prequel is an interactive comic/quest thread, Kazerad's done a great job painting the Kvatch mage's guild with a growing sense of unease. In the last few updates, Helen Keller could see that something is wrong here, and Kaz has shown a lot of reader commands that are variations on a theme of "aaaa get out get out."

I don't feel like there was a way around Katia getting jacked here. There's the example of things that the readers could have suggested way back when that might have saved Dmitri. I get that Kaz has "windows of opportunity" in his story. But c'mon here, with everything we've learned about the character there was no way she was going to NOT go to the guild for an opportunity to shore up her battered self-image and learn about her birthright as a mage.

As far as Prequel is a webcomic, though, I trust Kazerad to tell a good story. Also that walleyed clannfear needs to wander into more scenes without fanfare. Maybe in other comics too. I want to see it staring at characters in Gunnnerkrigg Court during pivotal story moments.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Really enjoying that after all the heming and hawing, Sigrid's Hail Mary play is just a flat "stick around, we've got ice cream!"

I think that'd seriously have a shot of working on most of my D&D party, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snollygoster posted:

Not to complain about railroading, but yeah I'm gonna complain a little about railroading.

As far as Prequel is an interactive comic/quest thread, Kazerad's done a great job painting the Kvatch mage's guild with a growing sense of unease. In the last few updates, Helen Keller could see that something is wrong here, and Kaz has shown a lot of reader commands that are variations on a theme of "aaaa get out get out."

I don't feel like there was a way around Katia getting jacked here. There's the example of things that the readers could have suggested way back when that might have saved Dmitri. I get that Kaz has "windows of opportunity" in his story. But c'mon here, with everything we've learned about the character there was no way she was going to NOT go to the guild for an opportunity to shore up her battered self-image and learn about her birthright as a mage.

As far as Prequel is a webcomic, though, I trust Kazerad to tell a good story. Also that walleyed clannfear needs to wander into more scenes without fanfare. Maybe in other comics too. I want to see it staring at characters in Gunnnerkrigg Court during pivotal story moments.

Don't think of it as Katia arbitrarily losing all her stuff, think of it as Katia arbitrarily gaining a nonplussed clannfear sidekick.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Snollygoster posted:

Well, we've already seen first hand and heard directly from Kazerad that "player agency" doesn't quite work in a direct manner. Calling prequel a railroad seems to ignore that. But I hear where you're coming from. Maybe the point of Katia constantly failing and losing all of her possessions is to point out that she'll always have her magic, because she's a motherfucking sorcerer.

Seriously though, I'm having a difficult time finding the main character's constant plight to be interesting. Anyone else having this issue?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
The comic really hasn't felt like a CYOA to me for a while now, so I think that's where people keep running into problems. It's pretty much a webcomic in which suggestions are occasionally asked for at this point. I never bothered with suggestions so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Wait, why does a Clannfear have its own coinpurse?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zenzirouj posted:

The comic really hasn't felt like a CYOA to me for a while now, so I think that's where people keep running into problems. It's pretty much a webcomic in which suggestions are occasionally asked for at this point. I never bothered with suggestions so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

The way I've been thinking about it is that the commands people make are more like subconscious thoughts, so Katia gets them but treats them like a random thought that pops into her head. If you look at it like this it actually works a little better and explains why Katia refuses to respond to some things like how she's selectively ignoring basically half or more of the commands from the last few updates. She knows in the back of her mind that something's wrong, but she's just so drat excited about being a mage and getting into the guild that she's willing to ignore those negative thoughts for a little while.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Don't forget that the suggestions are also blamed for introducing a character only to kill them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

IronSaber posted:

Wait, why does a Clannfear have its own coinpurse?

To hold its coins, duh.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread