Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But they have a decent amount of time, this is a 2-year project. They're not going to crap it out in a few months like Double Fine.

Double Fine is also not doing a rush job, Tim has gone on record saying they are going to invest all the money into the project and make it a more substantial game (with a delayed release date naturally.)

Just because Onyx is not the engine that's going to be used doesn't mean that they are going to start from scratch, there's plenty of engines out there they can license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
If this happens I hope Obsidian can hire back some of the people they had to let go. There were a lot of tears on both sides of the desk that day, I've heard. :smith:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Meanwhile, I totally wanna donate to this kickstarter but I'm too poor right now. Hopefully I can scrounge up an extra $15 this week!

You don't get charged a dime until April 17th. Donate now, get money later.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What modern engines really work well with a fixed isometric perspective, anyway?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chas McGill posted:

What modern engines really work well with a fixed isometric perspective, anyway?

Gamebryo

:smug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you mean the Oblivion engine that runs on Gamebryo then that actually does handle open world streaming fairly well. The only thing I really hate about it is how combat feels, but that wouldn't matter in a turn based game.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Chas McGill posted:

Flash. See: Facebook games.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
There is also the areas of nuclear weapons testing that have recovered somewhat in the last 50-60 years, for example Bikini Atoll. Site of 23 nuclear weapons testing and a crater created by a hydrogen bomb.

wikipedia posted:

A 2002 survey found partial recovery of the corals inside The Bravo Crater.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Flash. See: Facebook games.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it was 2d flash - so long as the art assets are suitable, I'd actually prefer it to 3D with boring textures. That NEO Scavenger game is in flash and it seems reasonably complex. Not having right click is far from ideal, though.

What engine did Bastion use? It looked great and it must be pretty efficient if it can run in a browser.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 2, 2012

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Chas McGill posted:

What engine did Bastion use? It looked great and it must be pretty efficient if it can run in a browser.

They made their own in C#. And boo to Flash, it's such a resource hog even for simple poo poo.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Short Eurogamer article on how Avellone sees his role in the project, ie narrative, area design, and conversation system. I think that's pretty much what everyone expected, should play to Obsidian's strengths.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

notZaar posted:

Just because Onyx is not the engine that's going to be used doesn't mean that they are going to start from scratch, there's plenty of engines out there they can license.

Licensing an engine costs money. Not only would Onyx be a good fit, it would either cost nothing or a fraction of your standard commercial engine.

On another subject, the Old CRPGs thread just brought into my attention the beautiful soundtrack for Divine Divinity (available for free!) by Kirill Pokrovsky, a Russian composer I never heard of. Is it too late to get rid of that Mark Morgan guy?

Just listen to it. It's so atmospheric.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Licensing an engine costs money. Not only would Onyx be a good fit, it would either cost nothing or a fraction of your standard commercial engine.

On another subject, the Old CRPGs thread just brought into my attention the beautiful soundtrack for Divine Divinity (available for free!) by Kirill Pokrovsky, a Russian composer I never heard of. Is it too late to get rid of that Mark Morgan guy?

Just listen to it. It's so atmospheric.

He did the music for the much more recent sequel and the music in that game is pretty awesome too

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope they actually don't make Wasteland 2 fixed isometric like the Fallout games were because the viewing angle was way too low and many times I had to run around the edge of a building looking for a door because it wasn't on the front side and I even remember being incapable of picking some items up because the scenery was in the way. Hopefully they'll make it a slightly skewed topdown and play with the angles as they see fit like Planescape did.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Well, obviously I would kill for something sweet like Unreal 3, like the new X-COM Enemy Unknown game.

But I'll take a Flash/Java/AdobeAir if it was good enough.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Dixie Flatline posted:

I hope they actually don't make Wasteland 2 fixed isometric like the Fallout games were because the viewing angle was way too low and many times I had to run around the edge of a building looking for a door because it wasn't on the front side and I even remember being incapable of picking some items up because the scenery was in the way. Hopefully they'll make it a slightly skewed topdown and play with the angles as they see fit like Planescape did.

PS:T had a confusing perspective in my opinion. I liked JA2's camera, it was really high but just shy of overhead.

e: flash is truly terrible

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

As for what the world would look like after leaving it to rot for a couple years, I suggest you watch the History Television series called Life After People. You'd be surprised to learn how little will be left behind when we're gone.

This was actually a pretty cool series, and I'd love to see a post-apocalyptic game like this at some point. Re-use the vaults idea, except instead of survivors on the surface, the rest of humanity has died out and you end up in a man vs nature sort of deal with whatever has evolved/grown in the absence of humanity's interference.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has an aesthetic like that, only the enemies are the remnants of military robots that were involved in the war that caused the apocalypse.

quote:

The story is a re-imagining of the ancient Chinese story Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of China. Unlike the original story that was set in a fantastical version of ancient China, the game is set 150 years in a future post-apocalyptic world following a global war, with only remnants of humanity left, along with the still active war machines left over from the conflict.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The fact that civilizations can disappear almost totally makes you wonder if any great civilizations may have been on earth before us, rose to prominence, and then faded away for some reason, all traces of them crumbling to dust over the eons.

Science gives us the answer!

No, there wasn't. Don't be silly

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Haha I just remembered Wasteland Project 0. Why is that funny? Well look at this:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Tsurupettan posted:

This was actually a pretty cool series, and I'd love to see a post-apocalyptic game like this at some point. Re-use the vaults idea, except instead of survivors on the surface, the rest of humanity has died out and you end up in a man vs nature sort of deal with whatever has evolved/grown in the absence of humanity's interference.

I had always hoped the FarCry/Crysis series would go in this direction. Considering the strengths of Cryengine a blend of urban and jungle environments would be perfect.

Tufty posted:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has an aesthetic like that, only the enemies are the remnants of military robots that were involved in the war that caused the apocalypse.

A really great game that you can get for 10 bucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Someone needs to make a Gamma World game.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Caves of Qud is a lush post-apocalyptic environment too. I think. It has lots of living plant enemies at least!

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's also really good and doesn't have awful interface problems like you get with alot of roguelikes.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I really enjoyed Caves of Qud and it had lots of great features but the setting felt too wacky. Like, wacky to the point of taking away from the enjoyment of the game/setting. On the other hand I feel the same way about nethack so lots of people will probably disagree with me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dixie Flatline posted:

Haha I just remembered Wasteland Project 0. Why is that funny? Well look at this:

I've always wanted a Fallout 3/New Vegas mod that put in furry raiders to kill. In addition to being fun and hilarious, the inevitable cries of persecution would be so sweet.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I'm pretty sure I've seen a model very similar to that in one of the terrible mods threads for either Oblivion or F3. It probably wouldn't take a lot of work to get your wish.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The fact that civilizations can disappear almost totally makes you wonder if any great civilizations may have been on earth before us, rose to prominence, and then faded away for some reason, all traces of them crumbling to dust over the eons.

Science gives us the answer!

No, there wasn't. Don't be silly

You only say that because our expeditions to the Mountains of Madness keep disappearing before the can transmit their findings. :cthulhu:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Casimir Radon posted:

I've always wanted a Fallout 3/New Vegas mod that put in furry raiders to kill. In addition to being fun and hilarious, the inevitable cries of persecution would be so sweet.

Fursecution. Although the idea that furries would survive the apocalypse is dubious at best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Al! posted:

Fursecution. Although the idea that furries would survive the apocalypse is dubious at best.

Fallout 1 was supposed to have sentient raccoons in it :colbert:

(before the idea was killed for being Really Dumb)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Flatline posted:

Hmmm well it might be interesting to go around slaying horrible monsters as a giant scorpion, you never know.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Another sentient race (not derived from humans - ghouls and supermutants don't count) would be cool. Lizardmen or ant people or something. MOLE MEN MAYBE!!

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Tufty posted:

Another sentient race (not derived from humans - ghouls and supermutants don't count) would be cool. Lizardmen or ant people or something. MOLE MEN MAYBE!!

Cockroach people. Of course I guess that's just a squatty sort of thri-kreen.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Tufty posted:

There were intelligent Deathclaws in FO2.

(before they were killed off for being really dumb)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OneTrueBru posted:

There were intelligent Deathclaws in FO2.

(before they were killed off for being really dumb)

being Unarmed Bros with Goris and punching the poo poo out of everything in the wasteland was not dumb

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There were alot of dumb things in FO2, like a sentient radscorpion that wears glasses and attacks you when you beat him at chess with advice you get from a talking sentient plant.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked all that stuff in FO2 and I hope there are silly things in Wasteland 2.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dixie Flatline posted:

There were alot of dumb things in FO2, like a sentient radscorpion that wears glasses and attacks you when you beat him at chess with advice you get from a talking sentient plant.

That, at least, is sci fi dumb. The quest you get from a ghost is straight out of a D&D module.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Really, "The Enclave experimented with making intelligent Deathclaws, which escaped" was one of the least silly of the silly things in FO2, it was even played entirely straight, unlike a ton of stuff in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dixie Flatline posted:

I really liked a whole lot of things in Fallout 2, but that plant REALLY felt out of place. I could accept talking deathclaws and a scientist training a radscorpion to be smart seemed SCIENCEy enough, but no. Talking plant was dumb.

• Locked thread