Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't even remember if it ever appeared in the comic like this, but is there an image of Annie's blinker stone signal somewhere? Like, from straight on, not at an angle?

Tom, I'd appreciate a big version of that glyph for like a background or something. :)

You mean like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You mean like this?
Yes, that'll do I can scale it up.

When I get some money I will buy a shirt and then I am going to make a bootleg vinyl copy of that to put on my motorcycle windshield. It is looking sadly blank since I replaced my last windshield

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Huh, this whole time I thought Renard was making the shield in front of Annie. Does that mean he was just pulling a secret service? Aww :unsmith:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Haledjian posted:

Huh, this whole time I thought Renard was making the shield in front of Annie. Does that mean he was just pulling a secret service? Aww :unsmith:
That's why she was so touched.

edit: Probably last tessellation

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 1, 2012

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

1stGear posted:

In my defense, I was calling the concept that "sometimes magic is just magic" lazy writing, not specifically describing you. I think you are a very good writer and knowing that you've planned things out is reassuring :)

You're misunderstanding that phrase though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." was coined by Arthur C. Clarke, you can call him a lazy writer if you like, he's dead, he won't mind.
The point is, in a story there is no difference between Harry Potter's invisibility cloak and the Predator's. If you accept science for one and don't accept magic for the other, well that's your problem.
The logistics of how either work are not important to the story, all that matters is how the story uses them, the fact that they exist isn't lazy.

And a Dues ex machina isn't something that's introduced and then later used to save the day, a Dues ex machina is something powerful that literally comes out of nowhere to save the day.

Tea-san posted:

I don't know about offering every page as a print, but I will be having some new prints based on some of my favourite pages up on Toptoco any day now!

I can't wait to own a print of every Boxbot appearance. :allears:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm honestly not certain what you're trying to say with most of your post. I think some of the confusion comes from argument drift in some of my own posts so I'll make my central problem clear: the computer and what it can do seem hella ill-defined and awfully powerful. Tom explained some of the reasoning and indicated there would be explanations later in the story so I'm satisfied.

I mostly don't have problems with the computer being semi-magical (or Donald and Anja, as Tom mentioned) because as someone else said, magic and technology fusing together would support and layer some of the ideas in GC.

quote:

The logistics of how either work are not important to the story, all that matters is how the story uses them, the fact that they exist isn't lazy.

That said, the logistics of how Harry's invisibility cloak were frequently quite important to the story: he couldn't be seen, but he could be heard and touched, and the cloak could be easily removed. Rowling used those simple rules to generate tension in drat near every scene the cloak was used in, tension that could only exist if it was clear to the reader how the cloak worked.

quote:

And a deus ex machina isn't something that's introduced and then later used to save the day, a deus ex machina is something powerful that literally comes out of nowhere to save the day.

A previously existing object that suddenly develops new powers as the plot demands also qualifies as a deus ex machina. Dominic Deegan provides eternally great examples in its SEE THE TRUTH spell which has been around for a while and is continuously used as a "Get out of conflict free" card. I don't think the computer is a deus ex machina because it hasn't been used like that, just that it has the potential to become one. But Tom has made it clear that he knows what he's doing with it.

VVVVV It wasn't a comparison, it was an example, and physical/magical conflicts do exist in GC. They exist in support of the emotional ones, and the emotional ones are more significant, but they are there.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 2, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The key, key point here, is that it's NOT a get out of conflict free card, because most of the key, most vital conflicts in Gunnerkrigg are emotional conflicts which all the teleportation and wall-walk-through-ability won't do a dicky bird to. It's a phenomenally powerful piece of magitek, but it's one in a setting where people do little more than blink at things like a dude turning into a bird, THE ORIGINAL minotaur happening to exist and live in a flat somewhere in the Court, ridiculously human robots, LASER COWS, EVERYTHING Coyote does, Parley's power, Smitty's power (which is actually potentially a massively huge deal, way more so than simple teleportation), Jones wandering casually through walls, Eglamore doing runic magic, a literal Valkyrie teleporting about the place, a magically-animated cuddly toy containing the soul of a demigod-level being which can transform itself dramatically in form and size, etc etc etc etc etc.

It's a setting in which somewhat nebulous and not-defined-onscreen (though I'm sure Tom has it more than well-defined offscreen) magic or magic-level tech is available to virtually everyone. But it's a setting in which that magic can't deus ex machina the core conflicts, because the core conflicts are not ones the magic can affect. And because both sides in the core conflict have access to similar levels of supernaturally powerful power. TO sum up, the computer is no more or less nebulous or ill-defined in its nature or powers than virtually any of the other magic or supertech/magic we've seen. Indeed, it's probably quite a lot less so.

But your objection seems to be... what? That it COULD deus ex machina, maybe, at some point in the future? It hasn't been, and I would give Tom more than enough benefit of the doubt based on past writing, that it wouldn't be, even if it COULD be.

Anything has the potential to become a deus ex machina if a sufficiently lovely writer writes it. Most of the magic in GC could become deus ex machina if Tom were Mookie. But, thank gently caress, he's not, and to be honest, the comparison could be taken as a fairly major insult, given that Mookie is... well, Mookie.

</late night ramble>

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hm, was kind of hoping Tom would make something special for April Fools what with going full time. Kind of a missed opportunity for a funny gag.

vvvv it's expected a joke to be on the day.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 2, 2012

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Hm, was kind of hoping Tom would make something special for April Fools what with going full time. Kind of a missed opportunity for a funny gag.

Why do a joke on the day it's expected?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
In celebration for today, I'll repost the April Fools page from a few years ago.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Nice, Smitty, running with the ol' Han Solo.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I have no idea where this flashback is going. Accident after a martial arts match? Okay then.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Every page raises more questions than answers; good chapter. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annie knows kung fu? Power creep, power creep!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Annie has been pretty bad-rear end for awhile now, so this doesn't come out of nowhere.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So that sure is Anthony with teenage Annie.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

1stGear posted:

So that sure is Anthony with teenage Annie.

Nah, Annie's definitely younger on this page. Compare her face to the one on the last page and its clearly younger/rounder. Plus her hair is shorter.

She probably fell asleep on the chair waiting for... whatever the sign is that her father got the package.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zore posted:

Nah, Annie's definitely younger on this page. Compare her face to the one on the last page and its clearly younger/rounder. Plus her hair is shorter.

She probably fell asleep on the chair waiting for... whatever the sign is that her father got the package.

Yeah, I can see that now. I just went straight to surreal dream sequence.

Still, its Anthony actually interacting with younger Annie, which still isn't something we've seen before. :v:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Tea-san posted:

Tea-San laying down the loving law.
And that is why you are my favorite web comic author. I mean drat.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I like how this is another excuse to bring out the ether artsy texture. Assuming this is just a flashback to the hospital, I wonder why Annie looks so surprised. Maybe this was the nicest thing Anthony ever did for her?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like it wasn't too long before she came to Gunnerkrigg, judging by her looks.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
How old was she at the start of the comic? About Twelve? She looks like she could be about ten or so, give or take a year, in today's comic. So it should work well with the timeline of events as we know them.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Actually, wouldn't there be a few years between Surma passing on and Annie transferring to the court? Annie's depicted as really young when she helped her mother pass, but was at least 11-12 when she came to the court.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geekner posted:

Actually, wouldn't there be a few years between Surma passing on and Annie transferring to the court? Annie's depicted as really young when she helped her mother pass, but was at least 11-12 when she came to the court.

Well, we only saw her at the age when her mother passed here, and her height is the only thing to go on. Kids at 11/12 can vary a lot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geekner posted:

That wasn't when she helped her mother to pass, it was just the first time she helped pass someone herself and understood what she was doing when she visited those sick people who mysteriously disappeared. Plus, everyone is really drat short in her year right off. Look how high Annie and Kat are compared to Eglamore in the first few chapters and then a few pages ago. They went through some major growth.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Geekner posted:

Actually, wouldn't there be a few years between Surma passing on and Annie transferring to the court?

No.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I thought she had a head like a football when she was young.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Obfuscation posted:

No.

Man, I love the abstracted Surma and Anthony on that page.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

I wonder why Annie looks so surprised. Maybe this was the nicest thing Anthony ever did for her?

Actually, it doesn't seem nice at all. The whole flashback is cold, distant, and Anthony is in professional mode. For a young kid, it would seem horrible to get hurt and then be treated like a stranger by your own father.

MikeJF posted:

Man, I love the abstracted Surma and Anthony on that page.

Felt like a hint of Utena when I saw it years ago. Still does.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, it doesn't seem nice at all. The whole flashback is cold, distant, and Anthony is in professional mode. For a young kid, it would seem horrible to get hurt and then be treated like a stranger by your own father.
Annie may see it differently. She got rather upset when everyone else was badmouthing her father, and she didn't have much to compare her family life with (that we know of), since she was raised in the hospital. She knows her father was distant, but she may have seen that aloofness as Just How A Father Is. And, of course, the fact that he was the one to help her when she was hurt.

Now, she's reassessing this Father-Man after what Donny told her. Maybe she thought he was cold at the time. Maybe she didn't before but does now. Maybe she realizes they are birds of a feather.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I, uh, read this page as being of Anthony and Surma, when they are both younger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fangz posted:

I, uh, read this page as being of Anthony and Surma, when they are both younger.

The key is the hair fuzziness quotient.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Obfuscation posted:

No.

"We couldn't bear to be apart."

That line takes on a whole new meaning knowing what we know now.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm pretty sure it's Annie

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, Tom's art has enough distinction to tell characters apart. Jesus.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Now, she's reassessing this Father-Man after what Donny told her. Maybe she thought he was cold at the time. Maybe she didn't before but does now. Maybe she realizes they are birds of a feather.

Maybe a combination of all this. Should be really interesting to see where she will stand in a few weeks of updates.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Look at all of the research Tom must have caused:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mazerunner posted:

Annie has been pretty bad-rear end

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Annie's not hurt. She's being taped up for a sparring match, isn't she? Boxers tape up their hands, I guess judo fighters might tape up their feet.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

Annie's not hurt. She's being taped up for a sparring match, isn't she? Boxers tape up their hands, I guess judo fighters might tape up their feet.

I took Taekwondo lessons as a child (about Annie's age in this scene, really) and let me tell you that if you don't have tough soles to begin with, you are in for a world of pain. I had blisters over more than 50% of the bottoms of both feet. Ended up with great callouses, though :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
It could just be regular taping, but it seems more likely that she sprained her ankle or some other kind of injury. She's currently being forced to reconsider whether her father is in fact a human or a loveless robot parental unit. My guess is she's thinking of this scene and remembering a moment when her father was actually not an emotionally absent wad. Or maybe Wednesday's comic will shatter that concept.