Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I was intrigued a few months back about the physics for Super Mario World so I made an account and posted a topic on SMWCentral asking if anyone had made a Physics writup like they have the ROM Mappings. They have not, but they did shed some nice info.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=53953&page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panget Ka
Oct 26, 2010

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Jewel posted:

I was intrigued a few months back about the physics for Super Mario World so I made an account and posted a topic on SMWCentral asking if anyone had made a Physics writup like they have the ROM Mappings. They have not, but they did shed some nice info.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=53953&page=1

Did you take a look at the Lua code from the Mari0 clone for some clues ?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Panget Ka posted:

Did you take a look at the Lua code from the Mari0 clone for some clues ?

Nah, pretty much every Mario game other than SMW all have completely different physics. Mari0 Controls with a combination of Mario Bros 1, and Mario Bros 3. SMW's physics were just.. different, and incredibly precise, unlike Mario 3's floaty feeling controls.

Princess Kakorin
Nov 4, 2010

A real Japanese Princess
Is there a special way to link libraries in Code::Blocks that I'm missing?
I followed this tutorial so I could start using SDL_mixer for sound:
http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson03/index.php

However, when I call Mix_LoadMUS("music.mp3"), the compiler tells me that there is an undefined reference to Mix_LoadMUS. I'm lost and it's starting to wear on my nerves, since everyone's answer is to make sure you have the correct library + .dlls.

1)I've double-triple-quadruple checked that I extracted the 64bit libraries from the x64 folder, since I'm running a 64bit OS.
2) I have -lSDL_mixer in my linker settings, and under the link libraries box I have the correct path to the .lib file.

Any ideas?

Edit:

I restarted my computer, and now I get "The application was unable to start correctly. (0xc000007b) Click OK to close the application."
I basically want to die

Princess Kakorin fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 30, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Codeblocks' bundled compiler on Windows is 32-bit

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
If you are on Windows using anything other than Visual C++ is sheer masochism.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Paniolo posted:

I stuck to Dev-C++ for the longest time because I somehow had gotten it into my head that VC++ was a big piece of poo poo, then I actually installed VC++ Express 2010 and I wanted to go back and punch myself for being so stupid.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
My Corona tinkering so far: http://imgur.com/a/jOnZg

The game is based off a mini-game I used to play years ago in Wario Land 4 on the GBA. The animals scroll across the ground and your character (the mouse) has to cleanly jump over them. The speed gets faster and faster with each level. Got most of the art from open clip art and the mouse from vickiwenderlich. Next things I need to add are a menu, power-ups (maybe) etc.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Paniolo posted:

I usually use Code::Blocks for personal stuff, still, mostly because I'm always using GCC. It also loads up pretty much instantaneously and it doesn't hang for Visual Studio's "intellisense," which doesn't work for anything non-trivial anyway.

Actually, how hard is it to set up GCC in Visual Studio? I assume it's possible.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
What's the best way to develop for an iPhone on a windows machine? I know that eventually I need a Mac to publish it to the device, but I'd like to put that step off until I actually have to deal with it.

I'm also looking at some networking (like Hero Academy-esque PvP) and I'm not sure if some of the middleware libraries handle that well / at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know I asked last time but I don't think I got any responses :shobon:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neither the compiler nor the simulator is available for Windows, so very hard?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

RoboCicero posted:

What's the best way to develop for an iPhone on a windows machine? I know that eventually I need a Mac to publish it to the device, but I'd like to put that step off until I actually have to deal with it.

I'm also looking at some networking (like Hero Academy-esque PvP) and I'm not sure if some of the middleware libraries handle that well / at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Other than using unity as your framework and never getting to test in any real way until you get a Mac... No way. Get a cheap (ish) Mac mini and start right. Save 100 bucks by not buying the dev license until you're ready to test on a real device.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

RoboCicero posted:

I would love some info/tips on this as well, I would love to implement some asynchronous multiplayer into my TBS down the line but I have zero experience with implementing netcode etc.
My mind keeps telling me "Hey it's turn based it can't be that hard" but I'll probably eat those words once I actually start diving into it :ohdear:

In other news I just implemented some actual combat and I'm so stoked I can't help posting a gif!

(People who participated/followed the latest SA GameDev + have good memory might recognize the sprite :D)

Svampson fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 31, 2012

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

I've said this multiple times in this thread, but it doesn't seem to stick.

I have a friend who develops for iPhone using Cocos2d-X. He doesn't own a Mac.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Boo! Thanks guys. I was hoping that there was a way to skirt the system, but it looks like I'm better off just biting the bullet.

e:

TJChap2840 posted:

Giving this a shot now. Sorry for not seeing it earlier!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Svampson posted:

In other news I just implemented some actual combat and I'm so stoked I can't help posting a gif!

(People who participated/followed the latest SA GameDev + have good memory might recognize the sprite :D)
Is this still that swanky side-scrolling 3D game thing that got made after SA GameDev? But now with those sprites? Or am I crossing someone else's game with yours?

Regardless, looks pretty spiff.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Shalinor posted:

Is this still that swanky side-scrolling 3D game thing that got made after SA GameDev? But now with those sprites? Or am I crossing someone else's game with yours?

Regardless, looks pretty spiff.

Nah this is my turn-based strategy game, I put the metroidvania on the shelf once I realized how much goddamn assets I would have to generate to make it a game (Going 3D for the environments proved to be way more taxing and time consuming than I originally thought!) once I've wrapped up this game I'm going to revisit it but probably make it mostly 2D (or get rich and hire an actual artist to do everything for me :cool:)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Svampson posted:

Nah this is my turn-based strategy game, I put the metroidvania on the shelf once I realized how much goddamn assets I would have to generate to make it a game (Going 3D for the environments proved to be way more taxing and time consuming than I originally thought!) once I've wrapped up this game I'm going to revisit it but probably make it mostly 2D (or get rich and hire an actual artist to do everything for me :cool:)
Pfft, 3D's not so bad. Ok, it is kind of a bitch. But come on, it looked aaaweeesssooommmee :haw:

(we put ours on the shelf for much the same reason, but drat it, I'll figure a way)

Princess Kakorin
Nov 4, 2010

A real Japanese Princess
So no ideas as to what to do to get Code::Blocks working, other than ditch it for VS C++? I really hate switching compilers :(

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Princess Kakorin posted:

So no ideas as to what to do to get Code::Blocks working, other than ditch it for VS C++? I really hate switching compilers :(

Assuming you're properly linking all of the libraries, I don't know what to tell you. It should work fine.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

TJChap2840 posted:

An honest question about this - how does he test (on a simulator or device) or publish a binary to the app store?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

superh posted:

An honest question about this - how does he test (on a simulator or device) or publish a binary to the app store?

Yeah this always seemed to be the problem, because you couldn't compile the .ipo or whatever unless you had xcode. Interestingly, I guess you can use flash develop to create a bootstrap or something, then the air window because a ghetto simulator, and then you just need a mac to upload it to the store. Don't quote me on this though, I read an article earlier this year.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I don't know all the specifics, but I do know he has a 3GS that he tests on. Ive actually seen and played his game on his iPhone.

I don't see him very often but I have two Comp Sci classes with him. Ill try and ask him.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
If I remember correctly from a couple years ago when I tried what's now called Marmalade, you could transfer test binaries to a provisioned iPhone from Windows. As for distributing, he could possibly be using an OSX VM, though I don't think that's legal.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I can program in C++ at the level of "hey, I got this DirectX window to show some sprites and that sucker moves when I hit buttons on my keyboard" and I've managed to bolt Lua into a C++ program without too many problems and gotten as far as using it to implement a quest system. I also understand how Boost's serialization library works and managed to hammer it into a save/load game utility. My eventual goal is to put together 2D Aztec-Themed Morrowind, but I don't want to put in the years to build an entire engine from scratch when people much smarter than me have already done it. Out of the engines I've looked at, Torque2D seems like the best fit. Can I reasonably use Torque2D for a project like that, or is there a better option?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I don't know if Torque has improved much recently, but I worked with someone who was using it for a game design class at USC a couple years ago and it was atrocious. The level editor was a huge pain to use, and trying to create a small open-world type game made it so slow that it was almost unusable, so I would think making a Morrowind-style game would be pretty difficult. It also had a weirdo scripting language that I remember being awful (but I was a much worse programmer back then so maybe I was just dumb).

I haven't done a whole lot of C++ yet, but for my next game project that is going to be done in C++ I'm considering Polycode, which looks very promising. I've also briefly used an engine that I haven't seen mentioned much called Angel that I really liked -- it seems pretty similar to Polycode. If you're interested in using more LUA than C++, I know a lot of people here have recommended Love2D as well.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Short cocos2d-x update. After spending several hours this weekend I still have no idea how to create a running Hello World program in VS2010. The problem is almost certainly on my end since the bundled Hello World program works was working.

I'm almost positive that it's just a simple linking error, but the tutorials on the website aren't really helping and it doesn't seem like anyone else is having the same problem I'm having.

Now I'm just looking up prices for used Mac Mini's in between including libraries willy-nilly in the hopes that something eventually clicks.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only person in the world who has these problems, and everyone else goes "Tutorial? I didn't need a tutorial. I just followed the readme and I had a top 10 middle-core ARPG in a week."

e: Welp, looks like I just needed to clean and rebuild the project.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

RoboCicero posted:

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only person in the world who has these problems

Yeah--

quote:

e: Welp, looks like I just needed to clean and rebuild the project.

Hahaha this is like a programmer's life story in two sentences

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You could always just download the Torque2D demo and try it out. The builder does kind of suck, although I mainly used the modified builder for the defunct TorqueX engine. One of the main problems with the builder that I found is that it is slow for a lot of features. Saving a tilemap to the TorqueX XML level format could take minutes in certain situations, while I was able to build a program in C# that converted the Tiled map format into the XML so I could them copy/paste it directly into the level format. It took milliseconds to convert.

That said, it IS a fully featured engine. And it only costs $130 for a royalty-free commercial full source code license. That is a steal compared to other game engines.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

RoboCicero posted:

You can setup VMware with OSX and run simulator on that.
Kind of slow though unless you have a decent computer.

I did this for awhile before I caved and got a macmini.
Now I just wish synergy wasn't a piece of poo poo.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

You can setup VMware with OSX and run simulator on that.
Kind of slow though unless you have a decent computer.

I did this for awhile before I caved and got a macmini.
Now I just wish synergy wasn't a piece of poo poo.

If you find a good solution to Synergy being poo poo let me know. I went to a windows only solution. (Input Director I believe). But miss my Osx/Linux support.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Have you guys tried ShareMouse? I've only tried it for a short time, but it seemed to work and was more pleasant than Synergy.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

prolecat posted:

Have you guys tried ShareMouse? I've only tried it for a short time, but it seemed to work and was more pleasant than Synergy.
Looks like the Teamviewer of remote destkops. Which is cool.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So a coding question: Lets say I have a car that hits a wall. The wall will be more or less vertical, but it would be tilted (like a when going up a hill). I know to get the new direction of the car, it would involve projecting the cars forward onto the wall. However, I'm not sure what to do with regards to not knowing how the plane is rotated. Am I just overthinking things?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm terrible with physics but the short version is that if the wall has infinite mass then the velocity change of the car is dot(wallSurfaceNormal, normalize(carVelocity)) * carVelocity * (1 + bounciness)

bounciness = Fraction of the car's initial velocity that it would wind up going the other direction in a head-on collision.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 3, 2012

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Blarg. Okay. I need some suggestions/advice. Forgive me, but this will likely be long.

Working on a game that's sort of a mix of an RTS, Risk and say....Blood Bowl.

It's turn-based.

I am still trying to spec out the stats for my units (Good vs Evil) and I am running a bunch of combat simulations to see how well various combinations match up to each others. Right now I am sticking to pure combat units (no spell casters).

So assuming each Unit has these stats:

- HP (hit points/health)
- AttackRating (how likely unit is to hit something)
- Defense (how difficult the unit is to hit)
- AttackDamage (how much damage the unit does when it hits)

There is also a 1 in 10 chance of a Critical Hit (double damage) on a successful hit.

So two example units to start, and these are the weakest units on either side and are fairly evenly matched.:

peasant: HP 5, AR: 50%, Def: 15%, Dmg: 2
goblin: HP 5, AR: 45%, Def: 15%, Dmg: 2

My algorithm for resolving an attack is:
pre:
BaseChance to Hit = Attack.AR - Target.Def

if(Random.Next(100) < BaseChance)
   if(Random.Next(10) == 1)
        CriticalHit();
   else   
        Hit();
else
   Miss();

Also: a game "day" is divided into 4 turns: Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night

So here's the issue:

a 5v5 combat of the above units, selecting the first non-dead unit on the opposing side as a target, with each unit getting to attack once per turn (or 4 times per game day) takes anywhere from 9-15 turns to resolve. Team Good wins slightly more often, as expected since they have a slightly higher AR. But it's pretty even.

That seems.....long to me. Here's why I say so. The game has two main "screens":

A world map, which is divided into territories (10-20), like Risk. All you do here is move units from place to place. More territories controlled = more "build points" to make new units with.

A Territory map, which will be either square or hex-tile based. This is where combat actually happens. When a team moves units into an occupied territory on the world map, it shifts to the territory map to resolve the combat.

Now I know games of Risk can go on FOREVER, and it's not even resolving combat on an individual unit basis. The combat in my game works more like Blood Bowl. Each unit can either move or attack once per turn. That is: either move X number of squares, or attack any single opponent within range. But Blood Bowl games have a limited number of turns per half, which resolves the length problem. I certainly don't want a game that takes real-time DAYS to play a complete game of.

So for perspective: in the above 5v5 combat, each player moves/attacks with each unit each turn. That's 10 actions per turn. Like I said - 9-15 turns to resolve using the params above. That's 90-150 actions. :stare: That's ONE territory dispute, and not even a big one. I can impose limits on how many units can occupy a territory, but even 10v10 doesn't seem unreasonable. So DOUBLE all that and you're talking 200-300 actions to resolve a single territory dispute. So yeah...

So...I guess I'm looking for suggestions on overall design, to make this something that's actually feasible to play in a single sitting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm thinking maybe look at Ogre Battle for some inspiration, since I think it's doing a similar thing with multiples attacking multiples.

I'm also thinking about the amount of smacking around that's happening with just one peasant and one goblin. If they just take turns smacking each other, it looks to me like the normal formula would be who hits first wins. So they'd take turns taking away 2 HP each time, going around 5 times before the fatal blow. If that exchange is common then that would be tedious.

Something perhaps to consider is having more personality to the different individual units. I recall how in the original Warcraft, the humans and orcs were practical identical, except a small difference in their projectile attack and their magic attack. In those cases it's mostly a logistics game, and not a tactical one. If it's not tactical, you might as well just take the combined math of everything and declare a winner without the interactive combat.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

HaB posted:

Working on a game that's sort of a mix of an RTS, Risk and say....Blood Bowl.

Is there a reason that simply adjusting the Attack Rating and Defense numbers is not an option? It seems to me to be the simplest way to speed up combat. Glancing at your numbers, it seems that your example leads to around two out of three attacks missing.

Assuming players directly control combat, they may apply strategies such as focusing on a single enemy, which could change the number of turns required to resolve a battle.

Another idea is to use action points instead of one-action-per turn.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You're on the right track with your thinking, but I'd suggest before designing your individual mechanics, think about what your goal is in terms of pacing. Unless you have a strong reason behind having HP, or 5 units, or a combat algorithm, etc, first think about long you want a session to last, how long you want a 'turn' to last, and then build the mechanics from that idea. You're going to get a better result building the mechanics from a pacing you want, instead of forcing a particular pacing into a set of pre-designed mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hughlander posted:

If you find a good solution to Synergy being poo poo let me know. I went to a windows only solution. (Input Director I believe). But miss my Osx/Linux support.

I've had pretty good luck with a Synergy 1.4.2 server on Windows, and a OS X 1.3.1 client. The only problems I've had are that I have to manually start the Windows server (since the automatic stuff can't handle the escalations, and that sending the cursor to the client while in Remote Desktop will leave my cursor trapped on the client with no escape.