Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005

probably drunk posted:

The unifi install we did is doing great, no hiccups at all without a server managing, either.

Grrrr.... Still waiting on mine to ship.

It will be a godsend to get rid of the lovely WRT54GLs running DD-WRT. Getting DD-WRT to do anything outside of acting as a single SSID access point is frustrating.

<rant>
Hell getting it to broadcast 2 SSIDs and put them on separate VLANs required doing things through the GUI, SSHing into it and changing NVRAM values manually, and also adding some startup scripts with some IPTABLE commands. At that point, changing a setting in the GUI could overwrite everything you had done.

Updating to a newer build of DD-WRT requires a full reset (at least if you want it to be stable) and then you have to re-configure everything all over again. And the process to get the same setup will be different that it was last time, and there will be no documentation for it. Ask on their forums for help and you will be ridiculed for not having read 50+ pages of commits and not already knowing that XX setting was renamed in build 12319209309 2 weeks ago. While at the same time not telling you what it was changed to and being complete dicks about it.
</rant>

I wish my boss was not so drat cheap....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Langolas posted:

I was digging into NCS a little after I saw this, what would be one of the key features you like to force my hand to make the upgrade? I only monitor a few things in WCS currently. I hadn't even heard of NCS til you posted about it, Cisco has too many products for management imo

WCS will not support new wireless software releases (7.2) and will probably go end of life soon. Also it is only supported on Windows 2003.

NCS is a new shiny (web2.0) generation of WCS that soon(tm) will be able to manage switches. It is normally delivered as an Vmware appliance and has a new DB backend making it much faster.

If you do upgrade now an upgrade to NCS will only cost you the software itself, you will get to migrade your WCS licenses over. Also you get 25 bonus licenses when migrating so you can get started with monitoring your switches.

Basically no huge changes yet but WCS is dying, bail out while you can.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

ior posted:

WCS will not support new wireless software releases (7.2) and will probably go end of life soon. Also it is only supported on Windows 2003.

NCS is a new shiny (web2.0) generation of WCS that soon(tm) will be able to manage switches. It is normally delivered as an Vmware appliance and has a new DB backend making it much faster.

If you do upgrade now an upgrade to NCS will only cost you the software itself, you will get to migrade your WCS licenses over. Also you get 25 bonus licenses when migrating so you can get started with monitoring your switches.

Basically no huge changes yet but WCS is dying, bail out while you can.

Thanks for the update and info. I'll double check with my cisco rep on a few things and get the ball rolling on moving towards NCS. From what I saw, if I had a WCS license already I can use NCS to a certain extend and not have to pay anything. Thats what Cisco said on the License key exchange tool on their website.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The Big Boss came in and told use to buy 4 <$1000 wireless APs for the office. He used the terms "overkill" and "get it done!" He wants smart transfers from each AP to the next so if someone walks through our office it won't drop signal when are closer to a stronger AP.

Suggestions?

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
What's the deal with Ubiquiti moving most of their standard wireless products to their Legacy hardware page? Is this a sign they are getting out of the market and more into higher end gear? I don't want to start purchasing equipment that is no longer going to be supported or sold in the near future.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Burning_Monk posted:

The Big Boss came in and told use to buy 4 <$1000 wireless APs for the office. He used the terms "overkill" and "get it done!" He wants smart transfers from each AP to the next so if someone walks through our office it won't drop signal when are closer to a stronger AP.

Suggestions?

Aerohive HiveAP 330

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

diehlr posted:

What's the deal with Ubiquiti moving most of their standard wireless products to their Legacy hardware page? Is this a sign they are getting out of the market and more into higher end gear? I don't want to start purchasing equipment that is no longer going to be supported or sold in the near future.

Unless something has changed recently, all their "new" stuff still supports all the standard 802.11b/g/n - you just turn off AirMax, which disables their proprietary add-ons, and it'll talk to your older wireless gear.

They're probably not too worried about continued support for the old 802-only gear, because their new stuff does that and more.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

What options are there right now for high bandwidth, short distance wireless connectivity?

I've got two buildings across a parking lot (200 feet or so) connected through 802.11a right now that works flawlessly. This provides connectivity for 10 staff and their VOIP phones.

Now we want to hold our near-line disk backup device in the second building as a semi-offsite location, so I need a bigger pipe.

I don't see any 802.11ac or 802.11ad devices on the market yet unfortunately.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

We use Bridgewave AR60s for a couple of short-rage wireless jumps.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Caged posted:

Aerohive HiveAP 330

Thanks, I will look into that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Putting my first Meraki in. I have to manage WAPs at multiple sites throughout California and I think this is going to make my life alot easier.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

I work for Motorola (the good one) maintaining the wireless network for Walmart. Our gear is pretty awesome and as somebody mentioned earlier, the AirDefense platform is cool. It's truly something to pop on and track employees walking down the hallways in a distribution center 2000 miles away on the site map.

That being said, I have no idea on what it costs to get involved in Motorola wireless, but I am fairly certain it ain't cheap.

Hey Motorola buddy. I don't work for them, but I run redundant RFS7000's with 230 AP's licensed. So if anyone needs a hand, I can also lend an ear. I've worked with everything Symbol has put out since long before the acquisition by Motorola.

frayed time
Oct 20, 2008
I have need for a wireless network. On the first half of the distribution is an AP providing access to two clients. One of these clients is hooked into a switch which is in turn hooked to another AP to talk to the second half of the network.

The second part has four clients and needs an additional AP to cover some tricky spots.

I put in three Hawking Wireless HWOBN1 units and six of Hawking's HWABN1 units to handle this originally. All of this equipment is 2.4ghz w/ omni-directional antennas and the latency/connection quality is killing me. I don't have responsive PTZ controls on my cameras and the connections are always dropping out. I don't know what I'm doing or they suck. Probably both. :doh:

Can someone recommend me some wireless gear to put in? This is all going to be placed outdoors. Longest stretch between any client and AP is about 300ft.

Would you not consider MikroTik enterprise level equipment? I was looking into MikroTik and thinking about picking up a few SXT units and some OmniTik APs to pull it all together. Your thoughts?

If you were going to get wireless training/certifications from a particular vendor, who would it be?

Diagram:

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I just installed two UniFi access points as part of an evaluation to potentially replace my (stupidly expensive and lacking central management) Cisco 1131AGs.

Holy crap these things are awesome. The price point and feature set seemed too good to be true, but after playing with these for a bit I'm highly impressed.

Now I need to figure out how to get a RADIUS server up and running so I can test rolling out WPA2-Enterprise.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wonder_Bread posted:

Holy crap these things are awesome. The price point and feature set seemed too good to be true, but after playing with these for a bit I'm highly impressed.
Literally the only feature they lack that is important to me is 802.11r, and even though it is important, the price point totally makes up for it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

In working with Cisco's WCS line, we have a bit over 2k APs into the system. It's really easy to use in this size once you've figured out how you want to run things, since you can just select the appropriate mobility group, and let the APs do auto power scaling on their own. "It just works" for the most part, although WCS is balls slow.

We have a mix of 1230, 1240, 1250, and 3500 APs out there. The 1250s have actually been the most trouble, with what I'm thinking is a grounding/static problem. The 1230s are 'pimped out' but pretty low end now. The 3500's just came out but Cisco's website seems to have already backburnered them in favor of the 3600 series - a habit they seem to be getting into that I don't care for.

The cost of these things though, at $500 - $800 a unit, well, I'd sure as hell go with another company for less, if you don't need all teh whiz bang features (some of which you'll have to buy additional licenses or appliances for). However, Ubiquiti's UniFi AP is 2.4GHz only. While the 5G side doesn't cover as well, it works pretty good for offloading clients that are near the AP to permit the 2.4 side to serve those who are further away / have lovely devices.

I keep pushing the Ubiquiti stuff for bridging: someone always wants network connectivity somewhere where a bridge makes sense, and the Cisco crap costs... 40X more for an outdoor bridge?

I've opened up a few APs and they aren't loaded with cocaine so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Partycat posted:

However, Ubiquiti's UniFi AP is 2.4GHz only.

Their Pro AP does support 5GHz (as well as dual Gig-E uplinks), but it's around twice as much as the standard AP. Still pretty cheap though, if you need it.

Following on... I can't get RADIUS authentication working for some reason. I'm not even seeing errors or anything useful to troubleshoot with.

Authentication server is Windows 2003 using IAS. I followed this guide. It's double-annoying because I'm getting hits in the IAS log, but they look like successful attempts, yet Windows 7 won't connect... and gives no reason why.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2012

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Is there a Cisco or Juniper AP that does smart trade-offs without a central controller?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Partycat posted:

I've opened up a few APs and they aren't loaded with cocaine so I'm not sure what the deal is.
:siren: CISCO WARRANTY VIOLATED! USER MUST BE REMANDED TO HAPPINESS REEDUCATION CAMP! :siren:

In my dreams, I like to think that Cisco gear comes with a gift card you can redeem for blowjobs. "Huh, another AP installed and configured. Oh sweet! A twofer!" That's why techs pay the high price over and over again.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Burning_Monk posted:

Is there a Cisco or Juniper AP that does smart trade-offs without a central controller?

Just about any Cisco Aironet does WDS:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

:siren: CISCO WARRANTY VIOLATED! USER MUST BE REMANDED TO HAPPINESS REEDUCATION CAMP! :siren:

In my dreams, I like to think that Cisco gear comes with a gift card you can redeem for blowjobs. "Huh, another AP installed and configured. Oh sweet! A twofer!" That's why techs pay the high price over and over again.

What it comes with is a 90 day warranty which may have been expired by the time you install it and found it non functional, so you get to buy it again! Yay!!!

Fortunately their new stuff seems to be coming with a LLW, probably in response to the cost of these items, as well as the cost of smartnet on large deployments. Like I said, the failure rate on these units is near 0 on anything that's not a 1252, and the 1252s, we may have had 30 or so of those fail, with 60% or so being RMA-able. Overall in the grand scheme of things, the 8k$ we lost on those... oh well.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Where I'm at, they apparently spent a few million on Meru, have absolutely been hating it for the past few years (not enough control over things) and have finally just decided to spend a few more million and switch to Cisco.

No one will be happy. Meru would put 40 access points on just 1 channel, so there would be so much noise people would have trouble connecting to any of them. A number of alternative WiFi networks have since sprung up. Supposedly Cisco uses all channels, so it will drown-out the dozen other WiFi networks people use.

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
Is anyone having any positive experiences with the HP MSM line of products? We have an MSM765zl controller with around 60 APs - a mix of 320s, 410s, 422s, and 430s - carrying around 400 clients daily, and it's the worst piece of poo poo I've ever had to deal with. We've got several cases open with HP Support and have done for a few months now, their engineers seem to take forever to issue patches, and the HP Forums seem to ooze disdain for this line of products... and I can see why.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I mentioned a while back I was getting some Unifi's to try out..

Well I did and immediately ran into a problem that i figured I would run into because I had before with other access points. Our ancient Symbol MC50 PocketPC 2003 PDAs (used for data collection), despite supporting WPA, would not connect to the Unifi APs at all using WPA. Worked fine on WEP or open. I've tried 3 times now to find a AP that would work with these drat things...

Well I made a post on their forums and to my surprise Ubiquiti actually went out and bought the same model PDA on eBay to test with! That was about a week ago.. Today, they let me know that their next software release will include a firmware update that will make our devices work!

Apparently the MC50 doesn't quite follow the WPA handshake protocol 100% causing the Unifi APs to timeout during the handshake.

I am still kinda shocked a company actually went that far to fix my problem.. Was not expecting that... I figured I was foiled again at replacing our current lovely APs, looks like I might be in luck this time!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

Well I made a post on their forums and to my surprise Ubiquiti actually went out and bought the same model PDA on eBay to test with! That was about a week ago.. Today, they let me know that their next software release will include a firmware update that will make our devices work!

Holy poo poo. I am pushing to get these purchased as soon as I get the chance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stevewm posted:

Hahahaha support worth paying for? Surely you jest?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha support worth paying for? Surely you jest?

And I didn't even have to actually pay for it!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

We're moving to a new office and after that story, the wireless system has been the easiest component to decide on. We'll probably only need 4 APs, and I just got the Cisco quote yesterday - :laffo: Pretty sure we'll end up with Ubiquiti's video system as well.

On that note, how does one go about planning access point locations? It's only about 9000 sq. ft. so I'm pretty sure we could do it with 2 APs, but I'll probably just slap in 4 and tweak the power until it just works. I'm not sure it's worth bringing someone in for a site survey, but maybe after the money we're saving not going with Cisco it would be worth it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With 4 APs I don't think I'd ever bother.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

sizerp posted:

Anybody do a large Aruba deployment in the recent past? Experiences?

I work somewhere with a very large Aruba deployment. 12 controllers, about 2800 APs, at peak times we have about 11-12k users on the network.

Since the day it was deployed we've had to deal with problems like RADIUS authentication failing, band steering causing client problems, bad controller firmware causing controllers to choke themselves to death and crash, and a continuous battle to get them to make AirWave better. The 802.1X situation was so bad that at one time anywhere between a third to a half of all users on the network were electing to use the unsecured guest network over the WPA2 Enterprise network, simply because authentication was so brittle and likely to fail repeatedly.

I think we've finally got it into a stable state recently, and upgrading the controllers to Aruba OS 6.1 has helped. I currently manage the AirWave system and I'm getting sent to boot camp for my ACMP next week so that I can be the emergency wireless guy in case nobody in the NOC is available. It's still not been much of a positive experience.

chutwig fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 19, 2012

stevewm
May 10, 2005
One of the locations I installed a UniFi in is approx 19,000 sqft. The building is warehouse/"big box" type of store, so high ceilings and mostly open space.

With a long range UniFi AP mounted right in the center of it, about 17ft up; that one single AP covers the entire space. In the farthest corner of the building, about 220ft away from the AP and with a wall blocking line of sight, lowest recorded signal was -79dBm..

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Supposedly Cisco uses all channels, so it will drown-out the dozen other WiFi networks people use.

It will auto assign a channel based on nearby units, which I assume is based on a brief frequency monitoring event which occurs when you start them up. I don't have access to that portion of the system, but, I would imagine you can enable/disable channels that it will use for assignment. Ours seem to stick to only 1/6/11 on the 2.4 side (NA) but go all over the place on 5. Unfortunately, only about 20% of our devices are using the 5GHz, and I've yet to determine if that's because of the devices (we have a broad mix of stuff) or if the coverage on those is just not sufficient where most of the devices are.

Can we use this thread to discuss wireless planning and troubleshooting? That's something I'd really like to get into, since right now it's been more about guessing and learning from mistakes, but, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Partycat posted:

Can we use this thread to discuss wireless planning and troubleshooting? That's something I'd really like to get into, since right now it's been more about guessing and learning from mistakes, but, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

Go for it - this is basically an enterprise wireless megathread in everything but name.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

e: nothing

\/ \/ great questions

bort fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 26, 2012

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well, I'm trying to determine just how you are supposed to survey coverage on an existing installation, reasonably. We used to use network stumbler and wander around until the circle turned mustard yellow, and call that the boundry for "good" coverage.

Now we have so much cell overlap, it's really difficult to try and map it out, without taking a ton of time.

Ehakau Heatmapper works sometimes to give some sort of coverage picture, but, the free version doesn't do any 3D planning, and it doesn't seem to work well for straight line pathways.

Thus far I've gone to wandering around with the floor plans, with my G radio locked to a specific AP radio MAC, and looking at RSSI values. Some things make sense to me : the noise floor in some areas is -70dBm on the same frequency, on the 2.4GHz side, so, that would seem to indicate that if the AP is at -65 or lower, performance would be poor.

How do I survey, basically? Cisco WCS doesn't do a good job in predicting coverage 'IRL' it seems.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Partycat posted:

How do I survey, basically? Cisco WCS doesn't do a good job in predicting coverage 'IRL' it seems.

Ehakau Heatmapper is what I've used in the past. It sounds like you need to step up from the free solutions to something like Ehakau Site Survey or Visiwave Survey, maybe in combination with Wi-Spy spectrum analyzer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Another happy new Unifi user here, replacing a power surged Airport. A lot stronger single, more functionality as an AP, and cheaper. Awesome.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

My company is about to cut a PO for an Aruba setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) and now this thread pops up causing me some second thoughts. I'm really tempted to try out the Ubiqiti stuff, but just don't have time to take a chance. We've only got 20 people in this office, but it's in downtown LA where you can see 30+ other APs on a site survey. Yesterday I got to run out to a computer store and buy 10x usb-ethernet adapters plus patch cables and switches for people running Macbook Airs so they could work effectively.

To add some more info about Aruba, I've used that same setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) at a previous job and it worked perfectly for 100+ people (very few neighboring aps though). Previously we had an absolutely horrible experience with Juniper wifi.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Aquila posted:

My company is about to cut a PO for an Aruba setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) and now this thread pops up causing me some second thoughts. I'm really tempted to try out the Ubiqiti stuff, but just don't have time to take a chance. We've only got 20 people in this office, but it's in downtown LA where you can see 30+ other APs on a site survey. Yesterday I got to run out to a computer store and buy 10x usb-ethernet adapters plus patch cables and switches for people running Macbook Airs so they could work effectively.

To add some more info about Aruba, I've used that same setup (650 + 3x 125 AP's) at a previous job and it worked perfectly for 100+ people (very few neighboring aps though). Previously we had an absolutely horrible experience with Juniper wifi.

It'll probably be fine with a small setup like that. My installation is about 3000 APs covering multiple square miles and I think we're encountering various limitations that were not expected by Aruba when they designed the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

frayed time posted:

I have need for a wireless network. On the first half of the distribution is an AP providing access to two clients. One of these clients is hooked into a switch which is in turn hooked to another AP to talk to the second half of the network.

The second part has four clients and needs an additional AP to cover some tricky spots.

I put in three Hawking Wireless HWOBN1 units and six of Hawking's HWABN1 units to handle this originally. All of this equipment is 2.4ghz w/ omni-directional antennas and the latency/connection quality is killing me. I don't have responsive PTZ controls on my cameras and the connections are always dropping out. I don't know what I'm doing or they suck. Probably both. :doh:

Can someone recommend me some wireless gear to put in? This is all going to be placed outdoors. Longest stretch between any client and AP is about 300ft.

Would you not consider MikroTik enterprise level equipment? I was looking into MikroTik and thinking about picking up a few SXT units and some OmniTik APs to pull it all together. Your thoughts?

If you were going to get wireless training/certifications from a particular vendor, who would it be?

Diagram:

I come here to get away from what I do all day at work. This is seriously like 90% of my work day, right here.

Honestly, though, why the hell are you using omni antennas for point to point bridges?

http://hawkingtech.com/products/wireless/outdoor_solutions/hao14sdp.html

Edit:

Hawking posted:

The power rating of WiFi antennas is measured in terms of decibels (dBi) with most standard antennas measuring just over 2 dBi, the HAO14SDP boosts power to a staggering 14dBi.

This right here makes me want to punch someone in the face. Wireless vendors should know enough about their own technology not to put bold faced lies on their websites.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 7, 2012

• Locked thread