Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New season of Sweet Genius starts in 10 minutes. Hopefully they retooled it a bit from last season and gave Israel more control over it.

E: Liking the new season already. They got rid of the dumb voiceover when introducing ingredients/inspirations.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nah, this is the third episode in the new season.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Nah, this is the third episode in the new season.

I saw "new season" in the promo and thought it was the first.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

iastudent posted:

I saw "new season" in the promo and thought it was the first.

I don't blame you, I really don't get why they're still running "new season" promos this far in. Were the numbers so bad for the last season that they're really desperate to say NEW NEW NEW or...

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

raditts posted:

I'll bite... what is your problem with lesbian chefs?

Lesbian chefs? I thought lesbians ate out?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I think I'm seeing the latest episode of Restaurant Stakeout, and man, gently caress this guy. A pizza place where a cute girl will give me hugs and massages while I eat my pizza is a place I wanna go. Why's this jerk gotta decide that's a problem?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Worst Cooks: I liked both Vinnie and Kelli, but I was kind of hoping Vinnie would win just because Bobby was a much more fun teacher than Anne.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't blame you, I really don't get why they're still running "new season" promos this far in. Were the numbers so bad for the last season that they're really desperate to say NEW NEW NEW or...

I feel like they do this alot now. The Stakeout promos still seem to be the same, and I remember doing the exact same thing with that one show where 2 people compete for a job at a place. They ran the promos with only clips from the first episode for weeks. I case they'd rather not pay to edit a commercial per episode.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Chopped "Viewers' basket choice" episode on now. Appetizer includes scrapple and corn nuts. :psyduck:

Edit: Entree - Bison short ribs, fenugreek, and cheese spread in a jar.

E2: Who wants pork rinds for dessert!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 4, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

iastudent posted:

Chopped "Viewers' basket choice" episode on now. Appetizer includes scrapple and corn nuts. :psyduck:

They should combine this with Sweet Genius and have the basket contain an acrobat or disco ball.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

iastudent posted:

This was among the worst episodes of chopped I have ever seen. If you want to challenge chefs you do not try to trip them up with bizarre ingredients. You force them to use normal ingredients like eggs or milk.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

This was among the worst episodes of chopped I have ever seen. If you want to challenge chefs you do not try to trip them up with bizarre ingredients. You force them to use normal ingredients like eggs or milk.

I stopped watching that show when they gave them gummi worms for an ingredient..

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Moose Bigelow posted:

I like it when people are scolded for making traditional-style dishes (read: traditional, not predictable- there's a difference) with ZANY INGREDIENTS.

What, you're mad that people tried to do something decent with your stupid crap?

meh

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I like it when people are scolded for making traditional-style dishes (read: traditional, not predictable- there's a difference) with ZANY INGREDIENTS.

What, you're mad that people tried to do something decent with your stupid crap?

meh

There were some hilarious comments from Alex and Geoffrey given what we saw of them on Next Iron Chef. I don't recall Alex being a green market grocer at all.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hexel posted:

I stopped watching that show when they gave them gummi worms for an ingredient..

I stopped watching because this would produce comments like, "I really wanted to taste the green gummi worms but I just didn't think the flavor was there. All I could taste was the ham hock."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

"I feel like you really disguised the taste of the cheez doodles."

No poo poo they did. Wouldn't you want that?

Thank you for the cheez doodle salmon dude!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

"I feel like you really disguised the taste of the cheez doodles."

No poo poo they did. Wouldn't you want that?

Thank you for the cheez doodle salmon dude!

At least for the next few weeks we get to watch Food Network personalities fail on chopped. Next week it is Iron Chefs not named Flay.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Timby posted:

Food Network-related ... the new issue of the magazine came in the mail today. (I know, I know ... my wife likes it, and occasionally there are some pretty great recipes in it.) There's a feature in it titled, "50 Grilled Cheeses." You know, fifty ways to prepare a grilled cheese.

This is an older post but my parents also get that magazine and I tried the "waffle grilled cheese" from it the other day. It went surprisingly well!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Moose Bigelow posted:

I think it's hilarious to give them weird ingredients like candy or canned food and see/hear them smugly talk about how those ingredients are so below them and they would never think about using them. :shobon:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

What is this strange ingredient, this fruit rollup? I would not use this, I would not eat it, I would not feed it to my dog and yet I must use it in an appetizer? With this Kraft ranch dressing? I only cook with locally sourced fresh ingredients and my culinary knowledge doesn't extend to this or to durian so I will just have to make a pancake

It has nothing to do with anything but I made a durian cake for my boyfriend's birthday last week (he legit loves durian) and it was a loving feat to not only make it but not throw up constantly while making it. So I guess I shouldn't be too mean about people who are nonplussed by wacko fruit stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite thing about bizarre ingredients on Chopped is one contestant always uses it perfectly. If they all failed to use then the judges would have to admit that the ingredient just isn't usable, but there's always the one and it makes the other chefs look bad. What makes it all the better is the chef that perfectly uses the bizarre ingredient often fucks up some basic cooking thing like undercooking the meat or leaving plastic in the dish or something.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Was it a new Chopped last night? I could swear I looked while setting up the DVR, but I thought it was a repeat.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Was it a new Chopped last night? I could swear I looked while setting up the DVR, but I thought it was a repeat.
Yes it was new. It was a viewer's choice challenge as awhile back you could vote on foodtv.com to select ingredients. The next few weeks are Food Network personalities. Next week is Iron Chef Simon, Cora, Garces and Forgione.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm watching Restaurant Stakeout right now (it's still horrible and likely fake) and they tested the staff on IDing people who order alcohol outside the bar area... I've never been to a restaurant that has ID'd me when I ordered alcohol. Is this more proof that the show is fake or am I lucky that I probably look over 21 (I'm 24, but some people say I look younger than my age)? :psyduck:

criscodisco posted:

The viewers choice episode was new. I dunno about any of the other ones since I don't watch the show on a regular basis.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Obeast posted:

I'm watching Restaurant Stakeout right now (it's still horrible and likely fake) and they tested the staff on IDing people who order alcohol outside the bar area... I've never been to a restaurant that has ID'd me when I ordered alcohol. Is this more proof that the show is fake or am I lucky that I probably look over 21 (I'm 24, but some people say I look younger than my age)? :psyduck:

I was ID'd a lot when I was younger and when I was going to restaurants in a smaller college town. I don't think I've been ID'd at a restaurant since I was 22 though.

They don't even card me when I buy booze unless my hair is down and I'm wearing a hoodie. I have way too much gray hair. :(

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think I've ever not been carded at a normal, non-high end restaurant. And I've been shaving my head since I was 17 and am in my mid-30's. Maybe Ozma should spend less time knitting and more time invested in skin care. :colbert:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

YOU BITCH!!!!

I have a lot of gray hair but I do not have any wrinkles, goddammit. I may be ugly as sin but I have beauty queen blood in my veins and the women age gracefully in my line.

e: veins, vains, nice slip on my part

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Yes it was new. It was a viewer's choice challenge as awhile back you could vote on foodtv.com to select ingredients. The next few weeks are Food Network personalities. Next week is Iron Chef Simon, Cora, Garces and Forgione.

Aw, I don't know whether I want to root for Cora or Simon more.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

criscodisco posted:

THIS THREAD IS A SAFE ZONE, AND YOU ARE TROLLING ME WITH PLASTIC SURGERY TORI

Give me another couple of years and I'll be running around singing songs about how my man won't bang me anymore because I got old.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You know you're the one who showed me that picture in the first place, babydoll. :)

Thanks to an amazing Ohio storm a week or so ago, my cable has been really funny, so On Demand in only working sporadically. Does anyone know if Food Networgh puts new episodes of Chopped up for On Demand? I ran through the cable guide, and I can't find the latest episode in the next week or so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get carded pretty consistently and I'm 30 and not even a little questionable. Some places are just super strict about it and some places are doing it because of some corporate mandate or some problems they had in the past. I've been at places I've gone too for years with staff I know well who simply wouldn't serve me when I forgot my ID because they couldn't. They knew I was over 21. Hell, some of them had been to my 21st birthday. They just couldn't do it.

I've even seen my 60-year-old mother get carded. I'd guess where you are has a lot to do with how strict they are.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Tupping Liberty posted:

Worst Cooks: I liked both Vinnie and Kelli, but I was kind of hoping Vinnie would win just because Bobby was a much more fun teacher than Anne.

Still not sure why Flay didnt tell him to just fill up his pan with water while it was already in the oven, since he splashed it the first time while trying to walk it 10 ft

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

dms666 posted:

Still not sure why Flay didnt tell him to just fill up his pan with water while it was already in the oven, since he splashed it the first time while trying to walk it 10 ft

This was my immediate question when watching that whole thing.

On Chopped. I feel that, from now on, they should make each of the judges prepare a dish using the same ingredients, off camera, before the taping. I'm starting to really hate watching the show because the judges are basically being assholes to make the show more difficult than it already is

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Hahaha, seriously. Isn't that sort of cooking 101?

e: though I should say, I wondered if Flay didn't have him do that because he thought there was a greater chance that it would be splashed all over with that method. Obviously I pour carefully when I do that but this person.... uh

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Yeah he could of even just filled up then pan then set the ramekins in the water, which is probably even safer

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Here is the list for the next season of Chopped All-Stars.
Round One:
Michael Symon: Autism Speaks
Jose Garces: St. Christopher's Foundation for Children
Cat Cora: Chefs for Humanity
Marc Forgione: Feeding America

Round Two:
Jeffrey Saad: Alexandria House
Keegan Gerhard: Make-A-Wish Foundation
Marcela Valladolid: Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad, A. C.
Aarti Sequeira: Harvest Home

Round Three:
Chris Nirschel: The Initiative to Educate Afghan Women
Justin Balmes: SafePath Children's Advocacy Center
Penny Davidi: PATH Gramercy (People Assisting the Homeless)
Vic "Vegas" Moea: St. Jude's Ranch for Children

Round Four:
Alex Guarnaschelli: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Marc Murphy: City Harvest
Chris Santos: Rett Syndrome Research Trust
Marcus Samuelsson: C-CAP Careers Through Culinary Arts Program

Also if you use twitter please follow FoodNetwerk as Alton Brown is being insufferable again and getting mad at a parody account that is actually funny.

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 7, 2012

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A few years ago, baking while stoned, I decided to fill a waterbath in a ceramic baking dish after I put my cheesecake in, just so as not to splash.

My stoned rear end let the dish preheat in the oven, so of course it just exploded when I poured the water in. I'm still finding pieces of it when I clean the oven.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I honestly didn't think Cat Cora was still an Iron Chef, or part of Food Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well, they keep saying Forgione is the newest Iron Chef, so it's obvious they recorded this quite a ways back and have been holding on to it for some time.

• Locked thread