Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

It's pretty impressive that the Spada drives almost as badly as it looks. That race was pretty hilarious though; I think half the field was collected in that crash in the last picture.
Is it just me, or have supercars turned into nothing but death boxes equipped with more power than handling?

I get why "more power" is a thing because sports cars are sold based on top speed and 0-60, but it seems like we're in an era where if you want to actually drive, you actually have to aim lower.

I know Forza is just a game and nit real cars, but I can't think of a single S class car that's actually fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

xzzy posted:

Is it just me, or have supercars turned into nothing but death boxes equipped with more power than handling?

I get why "more power" is a thing because sports cars are sold based on top speed and 0-60, but it seems like we're in an era where if you want to actually drive, you actually have to aim lower.

I know Forza is just a game and nit real cars, but I can't think of a single S class car that's actually fun.

We're also driving these cars raw. The manufacturers engineer them with, and then take steps to ensure that you cannot disable TCS / ABS / STM, you know.

\/ Well take the MP4-12C for example. The car does all the work. There's no rollbars. Now turn off it's assists and it's like trying to fly a fighter jet entirely by hand.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 2, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doesn't Turn-10 just simulate a very generic TCS/ABS system for each car? So TCS/ABS is the same across the board. In real life, every car has its own very specific computer system that is proprietary, and so the manufacturer would never let anyone else know what it is or how it works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yes, everything is just generic. I think any car that relies on fancy electronics to do what it does isn't going to perform the same in game as it would in real life. Forza simulates everything generically. ABS, TCS, transmissions, suspension. They just match up the right number of gears and ratios and call it a day I guess.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, everything is just generic. I think any car that relies on fancy electronics to do what it does isn't going to perform the same in game as it would in real life. Forza simulates everything generically. ABS, TCS, transmissions, suspension. They just match up the right number of gears and ratios and call it a day I guess.

Weight, weight ratio, spring rates, tire wheel geometry, drive train configuration. That's basically what they put in, plus basic down force numbers.

It would nice if they could model solid axle.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

About this:

I've made a speadsheet for AUGR so we can clear out those who do not play as well as any pubbies who snuck their way in.

So, add yourselves and add any friends you brought with you to this sheet. In one week, anyone not on it :siren:WILL BE KICKED:siren:. Don't worry though; if you were just not playing for a bit or miss this post or whatever, you'll be welcomed back in. Also, if you brought someone with you, please indicate that you were the one who did so.

Link to spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AjancrHDLU8fdGF6WFJmc1RhVkw1Y2NJanhZRjB1Smc#gid=0
Quoting this again.

Also, if you want to drive a nice S-class car, try out the Lotus Evora race car...it's awesome and competitive in stock form.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

xzzy posted:

SLR Stirling Moss? SLS? Ferrari F40? And the Lotii are indeed very sweet cars. I wish more of the industry had their ultralight mentality.

But I agree that S-class is generally no fun, and Forza puts too much emphasis on these high-end cars. R3/R2 are also pretty meh, usually just overpowered monsters- I don't think I'll ever be able to race an Aussie V8 with assists off. R1 is at least F1 lite, and gets a pass for that. I can do better in many R1 cars than R3/R2, actually.

Burnzie
Jan 13, 2008
Just got an awesome deal on a G27 ($139 AUD) and was wondering have any of you tried the XCM F-1 converter http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/xcms-f-1-converter-lets-xbox-360-players-get-behind-g25-g27-ra/ and whether it's worth the cost/bother. certainly getting mixed reviews online. I realize i loose the H-gate and any real Force Feedback.

I'd love to use it with forza as well. Still an awesome GT5 wheel anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A review I saw said it's not worth it. It doesn't make the G27 work with the 360, it just tricks the 360 into seeing the G27 as a controller. So the game thinks you are using a controller while you have the disadvantage translating 900 degrees of wheel movement into stick movements.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wee Bairns posted:

A few snaps of last night's Spada clusterfuck.

I'm in the brown one*.

*not pictured

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Burnzie posted:

Just got an awesome deal on a G27 ($139 AUD) and was wondering have any of you tried the XCM F-1 converter http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/xcms-f-1-converter-lets-xbox-360-players-get-behind-g25-g27-ra/ and whether it's worth the cost/bother. certainly getting mixed reviews online. I realize i loose the H-gate and any real Force Feedback.

I'd love to use it with forza as well. Still an awesome GT5 wheel anyway.

I nearly picked up one from DSE too but I figured it won't ever work with Forza/360 and I'm not going to play gt5 again so I won't bother. Decent price though.

Really hope for whatever the next xbox is that we get some more multi platform wheels.

I don't want a massively expensive setup, a DFGT would do my fine.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

The Spada is a very poorly put together bodyshell planted on top of a Corvette C6.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I wish Turn 10 would put a little bit more effort on the offline career mode. Finished the world tour and there was no reward car, no ending movie, nothing :( But I guess most of the money is made by keeping online players entertained so here, have a boring looking event list with 10000000 events and finish first in every race.

Burnzie
Jan 13, 2008

Puddin posted:

I nearly picked up one from DSE too but I figured it won't ever work with Forza/360 and I'm not going to play gt5 again so I won't bother. Decent price though.

Really hope for whatever the next xbox is that we get some more multi platform wheels.

I don't want a massively expensive setup, a DFGT would do my fine.

It was a massive impulse buy for me too, i wandered down to my local store this morning thinking no one will be there down this way (boy was i wrong) and i'll pick up a couple of 5 dollar games from the sale and I walk out with this loving thing. I have a perfectly good Driving Force Pro but no, I had to have it apparently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo R posted:

I wish Turn 10 would put a little bit more effort on the offline career mode. Finished the world tour and there was no reward car, no ending movie, nothing :( But I guess most of the money is made by keeping online players entertained so here, have a boring looking event list with 10000000 events and finish first in every race.

To be fair, you already get 50 cars for free as you gain levels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, you already get 50 cars for free as you gain levels.

It would have been cool to have a "career unicorn" or something though, since I figure most people don't make it through season 10 so it would be at least a token status symbol.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

xzzy posted:

It would have been cool to have a "career unicorn" or something though, since I figure most people don't make it through season 10 so it would be at least a token status symbol.

All you get is the annoying unskippable intro voice-over that you heard when you first started career every time you accidentally hit "world tour" when trying to go to the events list :sigh:

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Thinking about this made me realize something: aside from the 360CS or M3 GTR, I honestly don't give a crap about unicorn cars anymore. The majority of them aren't distinct or improved enough to warrant jumping through flaming hoops every month trying to get one, and there are a lot of more interesting cars that I can get much more easily.

Plus I can't really get excited about a slightly better Skyline or outdated Shelby when there's a swarm of Porsches looming just over the horizon.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I like the Unicorn challenges simply because it gives me a goal to shoot for. If there's one thing I think Forza is lacking, it's goals and a sense of accomplishment. The career mode is just a bunch of random events strung together without any cohesion using different cars for every race which negates any real sense of ownership.

I mean, it's a great game, and I've got my own little racing league set up with my RL buddies, but it would be nice if the game provided these things right out the gate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Thinking about this made me realize something: aside from the 360CS or M3 GTR, I honestly don't give a crap about unicorn cars anymore.

I don't care about them either, but significant portions of the Forza community do, so as long as it keeps people interested in the game, more power to them.

Personally, I'd rather get a mountain of credits than a car. Then I could buy the rides I actually want.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I actually like the idea of super-special and hard-to-get cars, and it seems to keep people playing, I just personally don't care about playing that particular kind of Pokeman, so I haven't bothered getting them.

The unicorns are all, far as I know, versions of existing cars with more letters after the name, and since no one really races anything stock, I can make the regular M3 B500 just as easily as the M3 GTR or whatever. I only have one, the Camaro with the hilariously retarded picture of RAMPAGE on the hood, and I don't think I've ever driven it, or will ever bother driving it.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Symphoric posted:

The career mode is just a bunch of random events strung together without any cohesion using different cars for every race which negates any real sense of ownership.

I actually kind of like this though. It seems the clubs do a fine job of setting up their own races/leagues ect. The random career races make you use different cars and classes that lots of players might otherwise not use. Someone like myself who isn't as familiar with cars might not ever choose a Lancia or a Renault or a Peugeot but in order to complete all the races in career mode, we might have to. If forces the casual gamer to play outside the box a bit and not just choose a Viper or an M5.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Mac Tonight posted:

I actually kind of like this though. It seems the clubs do a fine job of setting up their own races/leagues ect. The random career races make you use different cars and classes that lots of players might otherwise not use. Someone like myself who isn't as familiar with cars might not ever choose a Lancia or a Renault or a Peugeot but in order to complete all the races in career mode, we might have to. If forces the casual gamer to play outside the box a bit and not just choose a Viper or an M5.

I like it too! But I also wish there was a career/season mode where you can pick your favorite car and race/modify/tune it like you would in a real racing series. Yeah it's probably asking for too much, but I'd like both options.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Sent a request to join AUGR as Motzoo

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Motsew posted:

Sent a request to join AUGR as Motzoo

irc.synirc.net

#forzagoons

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

ANAmal.net posted:

I actually like the idea of super-special and hard-to-get cars, and it seems to keep people playing, I just personally don't care about playing that particular kind of Pokeman, so I haven't bothered getting them.

The unicorns are all, far as I know, versions of existing cars with more letters after the name, and since no one really races anything stock, I can make the regular M3 B500 just as easily as the M3 GTR or whatever. I only have one, the Camaro with the hilariously retarded picture of RAMPAGE on the hood, and I don't think I've ever driven it, or will ever bother driving it.

The other frustration is that some of these cars are mediocre versions of what we already have.

Take the LP640 unicorn for example. We have a base Murcielago in the game, and we also have the high end Murcielago LP640 SV. So basically, we have to work really hard to get a midrange version of the car that people who couldn't afford the SV would buy.

If they had at least made it the 40th Anniversary Edition, that would have been cool.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
Here's a video of me railroading Kafouille into Fuzzy who rolled, in my rainbow camaro ss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afxe8T9d9mI

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

just picked this up, it's so much better than the earlier ones. the jump to 60 fps makes a huge difference. my GT is TravH88, I like D and C class. is the speed wheel worth $40??

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

PopeOnARope posted:

The other frustration is that some of these cars are mediocre versions of what we already have.

Take the LP640 unicorn for example. We have a base Murcielago in the game, and we also have the high end Murcielago LP640 SV. So basically, we have to work really hard to get a midrange version of the car that people who couldn't afford the SV would buy.

If they had at least made it the 40th Anniversary Edition, that would have been cool.

I know that early on the more uninteresting cars were being used as honeypot auctions to catch credit cheaters, but at this point in time they don't seem to bother with unicorn auctions anymore since they apparently have other ways of rooting out those types. Or if they do still do the auctions I sure haven't heard anything about it lately. Which is a shame, because seeing morons throw down 90 million+ bids a month or two after the game was released was pretty funny.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I
HATE
DRIFTING

However I've finally beaten greenPandaMeow's 22522 drift score, so I'll get a free car. Ended up using a drift tune on a BMW 2002 of all cars, but it did the job!

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Congrats Jingle Bells, sorry you had such a tough time. I thought it was rather easy myself as I had been in competition with prettypanda earlier to when the challenge started I was just barely 400 points ahead of his final score. Drifting is something I originally thought I would hate but after doing some of the permanent drift rivals it kinda grew on me. Not enough to really get the tuning aspect of drifting down so I doubt I'll ever break out of the 25K tier on those but enough that I don't have trouble getting perfect drift scores.

On the topic of Unicorns I'm glad they're all just versions of cars already in the game. I'd be pissed of the only way to get any version of X car was as a Unicorn. I always felt the appeal was simply their rarity, hell I think the community at would be pissed if Unicorns had some sort of inherent advantage.

Scirocco Griffon: I haven't seen a Unicorn in the auction house since the game launched and I've been spending a lot of time there these past few months since the only cars I'm missing all cost 900K

ForbiddenWonder: Add yourself to the google doc and join AUGR!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AjancrHDLU8fdGF6WFJmc1RhVkw1Y2NJanhZRjB1Smc#gid=0

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

GOD IS BED posted:

Hey AUGR guys, what's the specs for Vintage Racing this Wednesday? Hopefully my internet will be back by then.

Reposting cause I still have no idea what the spec is. Jabs, Joe, please help?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I know that early on the more uninteresting cars were being used as honeypot auctions to catch credit cheaters, but at this point in time they don't seem to bother with unicorn auctions anymore since they apparently have other ways of rooting out those types. Or if they do still do the auctions I sure haven't heard anything about it lately. Which is a shame, because seeing morons throw down 90 million+ bids a monthday or two after the game was released was pretty funny.

Fixed. Seriously, I've got like 2 or 3 million tied up in an auction from the first week the game was released, before I realized that was all a ploy to catch the cheaters. The auction has been "Under Review" since then and is so to this day, and it won't let me receive the credits back.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
Kids, don't cut your corners.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

ForbiddenWonder posted:

just picked this up, it's so much better than the earlier ones. the jump to 60 fps makes a huge difference. my GT is TravH88, I like D and C class. is the speed wheel worth $40??
FM1 was the only Forza of the 4 that wasn't 60 FPS.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I picked it up a few weeks ago, and will get around to writing a little review eventually, but to sum things up:

-If you've never used a wheel for a racing sim, it's great. A much deeper experience than a controller.
-You don't mind not using a mic while racing online or don't plan on racing online (big mistake), because there's no mic input. I guess if you have that wireless bluetooth earpiece it'll work. Or don't mind switching to controller to race online.

For $40, it's well worth it, if those two things above don't turn you off from it.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

sounds awesome, my main problem is keeping my line when making longer turns which seems like this would be a big help with. it just looked a bit gimmicky. I wouldn't have a problem going back to controller occasionally.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So does dlc usually go on sale at midnight or what?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JingleBells posted:

However I've finally beaten greenPandaMeow's 22522 drift score, so I'll get a free car. Ended up using a drift tune on a BMW 2002 of all cars, but it did the job!

If anyone's still working on this one, I tossed my Z3M in the club garage. It was a half-rear end tune, but apparently it does the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Goddamnit my xbox is red-ringing.

• Locked thread