Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

So, to be clear, you're spending extra money to buy a drive that shave every second you can off level load times, then putting it on a board that will cut the link speed in half? I mean I guess it's not stupid if you're planning to buy a new board in the very near future, but you're still almost certainly better off buying something that would be a better value, like the Crucial M4 or Corsair Force 3.

Sustained transfer rate is not the only metric for a SSD. I would argue it is the least important. Random access performance is generally a better metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

The OP posted:

Drive performance tends to scale with capacity up to about 256GB, as drives with a higher capacity use more flash memory chips. This starts becoming really noticeable on drives with capacities below 120GB.

Let me get this clear in my head. Anything below 120GB is slow (for a SSD) and one should buy 120GB and up when they're in the market for an SSD?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

neurotech posted:

Let me get this clear in my head. Anything below 120GB is slow (for a SSD) and one should buy 120GB and up when they're in the market for an SSD?

Depends on the exact type of drive, but generally at least write speeds suffer in smaller capacity drives.

Some examples:
Crucial M4 - 64GB writes: 95MB/s 128GB writes: 175MB/s
Intel 320 - 40GB writes: 45MB/s 120GB writes: 130MB/s

Less than 100MB/s is definitely not speedy, and would lose out to most modern hard drives in sequential writes. Of course, you still get the benefit of extremely rapid random read and write times, but it's a performance issue that can't be ignored.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 29, 2012

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

That's an awesome deal, but I think I'm gonna hold out for a good price on a Samsung drive. The 256GB variant seems to blow away the Force 3 in Anandtech's benchmarks.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

So I just cloned a Kingston SSD onto an Intel 520. I boot up using the Intel drive and install Intel SSD toolbox. Under System Tuner, it tells me that Superfetch is enabled on a secondary drive (regular spinning disk) and I click "Tune" and it disables it. Was that a good idea? Does that even change anything? All my programs are installed on the SSD except for a large chunk of my Steam folder.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Depends on the exact type of drive, but generally at least write speeds suffer in smaller capacity drives.

Some examples:
Crucial M4 - 64GB writes: 95MB/s 128GB writes: 175MB/s
Intel 320 - 40GB writes: 45MB/s 120GB writes: 130MB/s

Less than 100MB/s is definitely not speedy, and would lose out to most modern hard drives in sequential writes. Of course, you still get the benefit of extremely rapid random read and write times, but it's a performance issue that can't be ignored.

Cheers, thanks mate!

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Okay another question.

Based on HalloKitty's post, I'm considering a Crucial M4:

http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23908&pid=40606&p=product

I'll mainly be using it for a OSX Lion VM and maybe some games (DoTA2, Tribes: Ascend).

Is this a good choice?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

yeah

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

neurotech posted:

Okay another question.

Based on HalloKitty's post, I'm considering a Crucial M4:

http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23908&pid=40606&p=product

I'll mainly be using it for a OSX Lion VM and maybe some games (DoTA2, Tribes: Ascend).

Is this a good choice?

Change of plan - I'm now considering this:

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=27_502&products_id=134554

Still a good choice?

Edit: My motherboard is a Asus P8P67 Pro V3 if that helps.

neurotech fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

neurotech posted:

Change of plan - I'm now considering this:

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=27_502&products_id=134554

Still a good choice?

Edit: My motherboard is a Asus P8P67 Pro V3 if that helps.
It's certainly a fast drive, but likely not worth it over the cheaper Corsair Force 3.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Instead of a single 256GB Samsung drive (which I can't find new in retail box for under $330) I'm thinking about buying two of the 128GB drives since they're $140 each on Newegg through today. I'd just run them separate and not in RAID 0 since I read that RAID isn't a good idea for SSDs. The performance of the 128GB drives is lower than the 256, but not by a significant amount. I think this would be a good way to save money.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

Instead of a single 256GB Samsung drive (which I can't find new in retail box for under $330) I'm thinking about buying two of the 128GB drives since they're $140 each on Newegg through today. I'd just run them separate and not in RAID 0 since I read that RAID isn't a good idea for SSDs. The performance of the 128GB drives is lower than the 256, but not by a significant amount. I think this would be a good way to save money.
Until you realize that having to spread data across two drives is kinda meh, and can be quite annoying.
That's why I've decided to save up and buy a 480-512GB SSD at some point before D3 gets released so I can do a clean install and only have one disk in my workstation (and all storage on my server, which is backed up off-site).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ruffz posted:

I would be annoyed spreading out the data, I'd probably just get one and a platter drive (which is what I have now). Also as long as you back up now that TRIM is supported for RAID on cougar point I would say RAID 0 is not a terrible idea for convenience purposes, though it's really not needed for performance reasons. I guess the deciding factor is if the $50 is worth the hassle.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

It doesn't bother me much having data spread out. I'd just have a drive for Windows and a drive for games. Wouldn't that make game performance a bit better for installs to be on a separate drive from Windows?

I bit on the Newegg deal, got two 128gb drives plus an i7 2600, asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 and 16gb of gskill ripjaws ddr3.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 30, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ruffz posted:

It doesn't bother me much having data spread out. I'd just have a drive for Windows and a drive for games. Wouldn't that make game performance a bit better for installs to be on a separate drive from Windows?

No.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

Bob Morales posted:

No.

In some theoretical situations yes, but in reality no probably not. The larger SSDs tend to have better performance anyway everything else being equal, so getting two smaller slower ones and creating another point where poo poo can break in your computer seems like a terrible idea.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Naturally Newegg lowered the 256GB drives to $299 right after I got a couple 128s. They don't accept returns for SSDs either. Probably not worth trying to sell them on ebay. Sigh.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You could make a RAID0 out of those 128GBs if you're hardcore and like living on the edge.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ruffz posted:

Naturally Newegg lowered the 256GB drives to $299 right after I got a couple 128s. They don't accept returns for SSDs either. Probably not worth trying to sell them on ebay. Sigh.

Cancel if they haven't shipped yet? Refuse to accept delivery and tell UPS to take em back?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Dogen posted:

Cancel if they haven't shipped yet? Refuse to accept delivery and tell UPS to take em back?

Newegg ships lightning quick every time I order from them so it wasn't an option to cancel by the time I saw the 256 drives drop in price. I'd refuse delivery but I have other parts coming along with that order. Plus I don't think they'd be obligated to issue a refund just because I refused delivery. I'll just deal with having two drives and eventually RAID them when it's officially supported.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ruffz posted:

Newegg ships lightning quick every time I order from them so it wasn't an option to cancel by the time I saw the 256 drives drop in price. I'd refuse delivery but I have other parts coming along with that order. Plus I don't think they'd be obligated to issue a refund just because I refused delivery. I'll just deal with having two drives and eventually RAID them when it's officially supported.

They are obligated to refund if you refuse delivery.

But yeah it's a huge hassle and you'd have to refuse the whole order. C'est la vie. TRIM through RAID is officially supported on cougar point and has been since November I think.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They do have to issue a refund for a refused delivery. It may not be the most ethical thing to do but it is an option.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

They are obligated to refund if you refuse delivery.

But yeah it's a huge hassle and you'd have to refuse the whole order. C'est la vie. TRIM through RAID is officially supported on cougar point and has been since November I think.

If it is supported there is no information about it. I think you might be wrong.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I got this and want to install it tonight. I plan on doing a clean Windows 7 64 bit install onto it. I'm pretty sure AHCI is already enabled and I read through the OP. Is there anything else I should do?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Other than preparing your wallet and savings account for a pathological need to install SSDs in every computer you will ever own, no, nothing. Well, if you have a huge amount of RAM, you might want to shrink your page file, but that's optional.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Factory Factory posted:

Other than preparing your wallet and savings account for a pathological need to install SSDs in every computer you will ever own, no, nothing. Well, if you have a huge amount of RAM, you might want to shrink your page file, but that's optional.

Ah piss, that'll be interesting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ruffz posted:

Did you try contacting customer service to see if they'll refund the difference? There's always a chance they will if you're polite about it and make it clear that it's a favor to you.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Help! What am I doing wrong here? I put my SSD in its 2.5" to 3.5" bracket but it doesn't fit in my HDD bay! It isn't long enough to reach the second set of screws!

What am I doing wrong? (don't mind the dust, I'm cleaning after installing this). You can see the second location of the screws where that clear circle is above my finger.

This is my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 3, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't worry about mounting it. Just let it dangle.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 3, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't worry about mounting it. Just let it dangle.

That's essentially when I'm doing for now (it's resting at the bottom of my empty second bay) but why? Shouldn't the bracket prevent this from happening?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doh004 posted:

That's essentially when I'm doing for now (it's resting at the bottom of my empty second bay) but why? Shouldn't the bracket prevent this from happening?
Where'd the bracket come from?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It came with the Corsair Force 3. It's the same one in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vb_weUa_A

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've also received comically wrong sized 2.5" -> 3.5" brackets with SSDs too. One was with a Corsair drive like yours, the other was a Patriot.

I think they just rustle up whatever metal offcuts are sitting around

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dud root posted:

I've also received comically wrong sized 2.5" -> 3.5" brackets with SSDs too. One was with a Corsair drive like yours, the other was a Patriot.

I think they just rustle up whatever metal offcuts are sitting around

Really? This is a thing that companies do? I felt like such an idiot because I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, but it turns out they gave me the wrong bracket?

:ughh:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You could bend the bracket out if you really wanted to, but honestly SSDs can take crazy amounts of shock and vibration without malfunctioning. You could literally dangle it from the cables and it won't care.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting
I got my Force 3 today and was a little annoyed that my sliding adapters for my 3.5 bays on my Storm Scout were not compatible with the Corsair bracket.

Luckily I did some digging around and my case actually came with its own adapter that did so dig around and see if your case came with one. I completely ignored my bracket when I first got the case.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Futanari Rastafari posted:

I got my Force 3 today and was a little annoyed that my sliding adapters for my 3.5 bays on my Storm Scout were not compatible with the Corsair bracket.

Luckily I did some digging around and my case actually came with its own adapter that did so dig around and see if your case came with one. I completely ignored my bracket when I first got the case.

I figured that. Sadly, my box with all my extra parts from the build are back home in Jersey. I'll be going home this weekend for Easter so we'll see what I can scrounge around for. Anyways, holy poo poo are these things fast!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What's the story on Patriot SSDs? Newegg has a 120 gig patriot SF-2281 for $109 AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-20220603-L03C

256 gig samsung 830 is $299 as well. The way they've been dropping cheap SSDs makes me think the Intel SSDs are going to go on sale any day now

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

256 gig samsung 830 is $299 as well. The way they've been dropping cheap SSDs makes me think the Intel SSDs are going to go on sale any day now

The successor to the 320 is being released on the 13th of this month, with reportedly almost double the performance.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/03/intel_330_ssd/

• Locked thread