Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Are police model Harley's and better/worse than the regular bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armyman25 posted:

Road kings are great bikes. That once is priced ok, but check how many miles are on it. If it is 30k or above and/or it has been sitting you are going to need to go through the engine and freshen it up. (how far below 25k miles is it?)

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I had to pull the Bluebook for that, and what the hell. Why do those hold value like that?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Whud up CAHOG

Bugs are bad this year in Iowa. My ride was around 75 miles today and my shield was covered in them. Also, my speedometer cable decided to relieve itself from duty about halfway through my ride. Sending unit's threads stripped out I think...not exactly sure how.

Great looking bike. Bugs are bad this year already. Probably because we hardly had winter. Where in Iowa are you? I'm in cedar rapids. Would be up for a ride if you are close.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bixington posted:

I had to pull the Bluebook for that, and what the hell. Why do those hold value like that?

Roadkings are the top tier harley bike that isn't a heavy dresser glide. Harleys in general hold their value really well except for sporties and sometimes dynas. I think the blue book on my 97 springer before the rebuild was 11k I had to show the registration office a dealer receipt to get it registered when I bought it because the sale price was so far below book (it had been sitting for 10+ years).

edit - the only bad things I see from those pics is that they went over the top with the powder coat and the fact that it doesn't have true duals. (not "BAD" as such just kinda icky).

Fkin fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 2, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Armyman25 posted:

If you were contemplating plunking down 7700, hold out for one that hasn't been bastardized with a can of Krylon. Way newer civilian Road Kings can be found in the 9K range, and it's common for owners to convert from police to civilian anyway. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but they are different (harness, switches, hard bags, seat, etc.) I'm not sure what the reasoning behind conversion is--it certainly isn't cost savings.

Just my personal theory, but I believe you need to reach a certain tipping point before you haul out a rattle can on a bike like this. What gets you there are things like salvage titles, repetitive breakdowns, a screw-it attitude toward care and feeding, etc. I'd look elsewhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Not to mention, it's hard to tell, but looks like that guy in his zest for matte black has rattlecanned the cooling fins

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marv Hushman posted:

If you were contemplating plunking down 7700, hold out for one that hasn't been bastardized with a can of Krylon. Way newer civilian Road Kings can be found in the 9K range, and it's common for owners to convert from police to civilian anyway. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but they are different (harness, switches, hard bags, seat, etc.) I'm not sure what the reasoning behind conversion is--it certainly isn't cost savings.

Just my personal theory, but I believe you need to reach a certain tipping point before you haul out a rattle can on a bike like this. What gets you there are things like salvage titles, repetitive breakdowns, a screw-it attitude toward care and feeding, etc. I'd look elsewhere.

Not to argue that much but I see road kings sell like mad.

http://www.kingcountymoto.com/inventory.htm

This guy turns them around fast and he sells under book. Sometimes they don't even last a week. Take that 04 road king he just sold with 16k miles for 11k bucks as an example. Everything on that list is sold in the last 12 months ish. There are 9 road kings with a lot of different miles and years on that page - all in the 10-12 k range for the most part.

You are right in looking at what kind of title and care has been done on the bike.

The only thing wrong with that bike on the surface is the horrid black out job. If it is powdercoat done right it is still bad but at least it is not horrid. If he really did it rattlecan with the truck bedding stuff yeah that is bad, but I have seen that and this does not look like that (I will post a pic of an engine an idiot did this to). Hard to say from the pics though.

Fkin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 2, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Armyman25 posted:

No locking latches on the bags - those are not cheap to replace. Also, it's a twin cam 88". If I were looking at late '90s RKs, I would be all about finding a nice unmolested later 80" Evo, '98s are great.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Don't.
Ever.
Sell.
This bike.

Nope. Won't ever. Will be undergoing a complete restoration within the next few years.

Scrapez posted:

Great looking bike. Bugs are bad this year already. Probably because we hardly had winter. Where in Iowa are you? I'm in cedar rapids. Would be up for a ride if you are close.

I'm in Coralville..would definitely be down for a ride sometime.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So you want to try riding a bike but don't have a license? Well, Harley-Davidson can help you out

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deeters posted:

So you want to try riding a bike but don't have a license? Well, Harley-Davidson can help you out

Oh my god this is brilliant.

Harley-Davidson(tm): A Marketing Company (That Also Sells Motorcycles)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I am so going to ride my honda to a HD dealership for a "real 'merrican bike!!" experience.. and get some freedom rays in the parking lot while buring through gas as fast as possible in one spot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Oh my god this is brilliant.

Harley-Davidson(tm): A Marketing Company (That Also Sells Motorcycles)

Called it back on March 6th

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I've said for years that they're an extremely successful marketing firm with a motorcycle arm

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Better than a bowling equipment company with a motorcycle arm am I right.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Judging from their twitter/facebook feeds lately, and now this "jumpstart" thing, Harley is REALLY pushing women riders in their marketing.

Which is fine by me, because I won't ever ride 2 up.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I wish I could convince MY WIFE to get an 883 Sportster. She is completely opposed to piloting a motorcycle. Riding 2-up on a Sportster tends to suck.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

angryhampster posted:

Riding 2-up on a Sportster tends to sucks.

Let us not mince words.

This is why they invented big springy UJMs with sofa cushion seating.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

She loves her uncle's Road King.

Now if only I could come up with about $12k.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryhampster posted:

She loves her uncle's Road King.

Now if only I could come up with about $12k.

Or buy a Japanese cruiser.

Got a thumbs down on my RD earlier from a guy in a brain bucket on a Road King. Yet every sport bike rider and even a guy on a sportster (in full gear) gave a wave back. Does it cease being a stereotype when it keeps coming true?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Obviously that guy doesn't know what's up. I say that as a Harley fan and a Yamaha 2 stroke rider.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I am very much considering trading in my street bob for the 2012 XR1200X. Should I do it?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clutchpuck posted:

Obviously that guy doesn't know what's up. I say that as a Harley fan and a Yamaha 2 stroke rider.

Maybe it's cause I'm in full gear. Who knows.

I'd ride the poo poo out of a 1200 Sportster though. The XRs are beautiful bikes. Tried to buy one but the dealer (on Guam) would not budge from 15k for a left over 2009. This was 6 months ago or so. Bike is still there, right next to another one in black.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Got a thumbs down on my RD earlier from a guy in a brain bucket on a Road King. Yet every sport bike rider and even a guy on a sportster (in full gear) gave a wave back. Does it cease being a stereotype when it keeps coming true?

I'd definitely ride a Goldwing. My uncle has a GL1500 (1994 I think?) and it's a blast to ride..really fast surprisingly. I just want something bigger and cushier for 2-up riding since she refuses to ride a bike on her own.

e: On my way home I threw the biker wave down at a guy riding a late-model GSX-R wearing tennis shoes, gym shorts, a t-shirt and sunglasses. He did not wave back.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryhampster posted:

I'd definitely ride a Goldwing. My uncle has a GL1500 (1994 I think?) and it's a blast to ride..really fast surprisingly. I just want something bigger and cushier for 2-up riding since she refuses to ride a bike on her own.

e: On my way home I threw the biker wave down at a guy riding a late-model GSX-R wearing tennis shoes, gym shorts, a t-shirt and sunglasses. He did not wave back.

That's the sport bike equivalent of most Harley riders.

And are you stuck to cruisers or would something like the conc14 fit the bill? Now that would be an amazing 2 up ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Kaliber posted:

I am very much considering trading in my street bob for the 2012 XR1200X. Should I do it?

Is the primary problem with your street bob dragging poo poo everywhere? If so, yes!

If no, yes as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Got a thumbs down on my RD earlier from a guy in a brain bucket on a Road King.

People actually do this? I know that plenty of people just ignore certain kinds of bikes or riders or whatever, but an outright "gently caress you and your bike sucks" kind of thing? Geez. Particularly when the bike in question is a 2t classic that anyone should be able to appreciate.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

That's the sport bike equivalent of most Harley riders.

And are you stuck to cruisers or would something like the conc14 fit the bill? Now that would be an amazing 2 up ride.

Certainly not opposed to it. I've never ridden a bike like that. Basically I just want something that's comfortable, reliable, fun, powerful, fast, and cheap.

That's possible...right? :(

Honestly a second bike is a LONG way off. Buying a house and paying off a pair of cars is taking precedence over other money-sucking hobbies.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

iwentdoodie posted:

I wouldn't draw conclusions based on a small sample. A non-wave I can understand--occasionally a rider is focusing on more pressing matters, or they just plain have their head up their rear end. A thumbs-down is something else entirely--a total karma violation. Which only means he'll pay for it somewhere up the road.

Stay cool, you'll learn to filter out this noise just like the barking dobermans, poorly installed subwoofers, screaming kids, and those random gut-wrenching noises semis make when they're at a light.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Marv Hushman posted:

Stay cool, you'll learn to filter out this noise just like the barking dobermans, poorly installed subwoofers, screaming kids, and those random gut-wrenching noises semis make when they're at a light.

gently caress the noises. A semi at a light smells like my bike is on fire. Which is a legit worry on a drat near 40yr old bike.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kaliber posted:

Yes. Yes you should. The XR owns.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Fkin posted:

Not to argue that much but I see road kings sell like mad.

http://www.kingcountymoto.com/inventory.htm

This guy turns them around fast and he sells under book. Sometimes they don't even last a week. Take that 04 road king he just sold with 16k miles for 11k bucks as an example. Everything on that list is sold in the last 12 months ish. There are 9 road kings with a lot of different miles and years on that page - all in the 10-12 k range for the most part.

That guy re-sells repo'd motorcycles fyi. Real nice guy, might haggle 300 bucks off his asking price if you're lucky but that's about it. He and his partner went separate ways, so there might be two of them in the entire PNW with prices that reasonable.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schlieren posted:

That guy re-sells repo'd motorcycles fyi. Real nice guy, might haggle 300 bucks off his asking price if you're lucky but that's about it. He and his partner went separate ways, so there might be two of them in the entire PNW with prices that reasonable.

I know, I bought my dyna off him when him and his buddy were still in the same company. The full story is him (and others) go to repo auctions and turn the bikes around to new owners. Dealers do the same thing with cars.

His buddy is over here http://www.lifemoto.net/

He is not doing so well.

There are actually a couple other places (at least) that I know of doing the same thing. Here is another in Seattle:

http://revmoto.net/

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I wish I could convince MY WIFE to get an 883 Sportster. She is completely opposed to piloting a motorcycle. Riding 2-up on a Sportster tends to suck.

Some kind of a back rest/sissy bar really makes all the difference on those. Without it you keep sliding back, it's horrible.

Edit: And without after-market shocks they keep bottoming out 2-up too.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

iwentdoodie posted:

My Vstar was as good or better than a Road King in almost every practical, objective measure, except probably the finish details (vstar has a lot of chromed plastic, weak switch gear) and maintenance routines. Better fuel economy, cooler running, faster acceleration, better cornering, better brakes.

It still wasn't nearly as nice to ride as a Road King. I'd trade all of those advantages for the Road King's butter smooth ride, low maintenance, timeless looks, and superior details.

...if I could afford it. Vstars weigh in at a little under half the price and that can be, and was, a powerful equalizer.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress the noises. A semi at a light smells like my bike is on fire. Which is a legit worry on a drat near 40yr old bike.

This is why I learned very quickly not to flood the carburetor when the engine is hot. I prefer to think of my bike as "eccentric" rather than "fire hazard" or "death trap."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Armyman25 posted:

Are police model Harley's and better/worse than the regular bikes

There will be some differences: mostly with the wiring due to police lights.
Some police departments spring for beefing up the motor with Ape bronze valve guides, heavy duty valves and springs.

Then again, it's also my understanding that police bikes are often 'ridden hard and put away wet.'

Deeters posted:

Something isn't right here.

Harley Davidson posted:

The Harley-Davidson® JUMPSTART™ Rider Experience combines a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and a specially-designed, stationary support stand.
No knowledge or previous motorcycle experience necessary (seems about right for a first time Harley buyer)
Motorcycle will not tip over
That last part scares me a bit. I feel it's completely irresponsible to not let a first time rider learn and practice the proper way to "lay'er-down."

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 3, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

High Protein posted:

Some kind of a back rest/sissy bar really makes all the difference on those. Without it you keep sliding back, it's horrible.

Edit: And without after-market shocks they keep bottoming out 2-up too.

Road King or Street Glide air shocks bolt right onto a Sportster with a few washers added and longer bolts. Add 10 pounds of pressure to them riding 2-up and the ride is actually very good.

The gf and I ride 2-up down to her hometown and back weekly. It's about a 150 mile round trip. We usually stop once each way and it isn't bad at all.

That is running a Mustang Regal Duke and a sissy bar/backrest. The seat makes a huge difference. I had a Badlander on there before and we couldn't ride but about 40 miles without having to stop.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Scrapez posted:

Road King or Street Glide air shocks bolt right onto a Sportster with a few washers added and longer bolts. Add 10 pounds of pressure to them riding 2-up and the ride is actually very good.

Seconded. I'm running RK shocks as well. Another cheap alternative is to find shocks from a Roadster, which will also require the longer Roadster kickstand. Sorry, did I say kickstand, I meant jiffystand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Buell's FSM was talking about removing the jiffy stand for whatever operation I was reading through. Was confused. "I have a side stand but I see no jiffy stand."

Had to look it up and then I felt a little dumber and a little smarter all at the same time.

• Locked thread