Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
That's the best release from GOG.com since Wing Commander 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Wing Commander IV's release is a great reason to call in sick today.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

macnbc posted:

The gameplay stuff is identical but the cutscenes are noticeably sharper.

Are the FMV scenes no longer tessellated?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

synertia posted:

Are the FMV scenes no longer tessellated?

Do you mean interlaced?

If so, no, the DVD version video was not interlaced like the CD version was. Here's what the intro looks like, for example.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What's a good, cheap joystick I could buy to play the "new" "Wing Commander" with? drat it, I can't play "Freespace" or "WC" without a flight stick and buttons, it makes me feel like I'm playing "Independence War."

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

CobiWann posted:

What's a good, cheap joystick I could buy to play the "new" "Wing Commander" with? drat it, I can't play "Freespace" or "WC" without a flight stick and buttons, it makes me feel like I'm playing "Independence War."

Define cheap.

I bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X from amazon when it was on sale for $30 around Christmas and I love it. I think it's the best thing you can get until you get up to the saitek x52 range (which is like $80ish). Sadly they've returned the price to $50 now, but it's probably still worth it.

Outside of that, people seem to like xbox controllers for space sims, which I like a lot for IWar 2, but not the wing commander / freespace.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 3, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think people using xbox controllers are either in denial or just don't want to buy another accessory to gather dust later. I'm not saying you can't use them, but my personal opinion is that a joystick is more immersive and fun.

I'll be sad if my adjustable-for-left-handed Saitek Cyborg Evo ever bites the dust. I don't think anything like it is manufactured any longer.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

CobiWann posted:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is pretty cheap and has most of the bells and whistles you'd expect from a cheaper joystick. Throttle, some buttons, hat switch, twist rudder, etc.

If you're really on a budget Logitech Attack 3 is another option but it doesn't feature twist rudder, so you'll have to map some other way to roll your ship.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've never play WC4. Any of you know of a good fan-patch or some such to improve the graphics/gameplay/anything whatsoever so that newcomers can get the most out of this?

Or is pure vanilla the way to go?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

macnbc posted:

Do you mean interlaced?

If so, no, the DVD version video was not interlaced like the CD version was. Here's what the intro looks like, for example.

That's what I mean, and great. On my 486/33 I had to watch the movies in black and white for it to not run like a power point presentation.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Holy poo poo, Wing Commander IV. Awesome.

Will update the OP tomorrow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is all the major WC titles now, right?

Now only if they could get the X-wing, TIE Fighter, XW Alliance series, we could be in spacesim heaven with all these titles!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It'd be fun to play X-Wing Alliance multiplayer with a bunch of goons.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Galaga Galaxian posted:

anthonypants posted:

Outside of expansion packs, yeah. :argh:

http://youtu.be/XL3Fi5reXBw
http://youtu.be/OKnAOYo6Jz4

No.

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2012

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Outside of expansion packs, yeah. :argh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Can you ask for Eye of the Beholder next week? I really want EotB and you seem to be a magician.

Isn't EoB abandonware these days? I got the whole trilogy off of some French abandonware site, and they are one of those by-the-book, legal-beagle sites that only host games that have been formally abandoned, etc etc

They were in English and self-extracting and worked without any problems. If you're interested, I'll try and find them again.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JustJeff88 posted:

Isn't EoB abandonware these days? I got the whole trilogy off of some French abandonware site, and they are one of those by-the-book, legal-beagle sites that only host games that have been formally abandoned, etc etc

They were in English and self-extracting and worked without any problems. If you're interested, I'll try and find them again.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "formally abandoned", at least under US copyright law, since those go for life of the author + Disney years.

Bear in mind a lot of the games on GOG used to be considered "abandonware" until the publishers who own their rights decided to bring them back.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BadAstronaut posted:

I've never play WC4. Any of you know of a good fan-patch or some such to improve the graphics/gameplay/anything whatsoever so that newcomers can get the most out of this?

Or is pure vanilla the way to go?

I don't know of any but I can't imagine why you'd want them. It's a story driven space shooter with a load of FMV sequences and Malcolm McDowell and TOM loving WILSON in it, and the gameplay was pretty solid if I've not got my rose tinted specs on.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know of any but I can't imagine why you'd want them. It's a story driven space shooter with a load of FMV sequences and Malcolm McDowell and TOM loving WILSON in it, and the gameplay was pretty solid if I've not got my rose tinted specs on.

Gameplay in WC4 was decent. I think the gameplay actually peaked in WC3. WC4 was pushing the INTERACTIVE MOVIE label a little too hard, so there are several missions that feel like the game is more in control than you are. (Pre-determined outcomes, cutscenes interrupting action, etc.)

It's still more than worth it though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

macnbc posted:

I don't believe there is such a thing as "formally abandoned", at least under US copyright law, since those go for life of the author + Disney years.

Bear in mind a lot of the games on GOG used to be considered "abandonware" until the publishers who own their rights decided to bring them back.

Fair dues - maybe it's one of those sites that "hosts games for free if they're quite confident that the original developer won't sue the pants off of them"

In any event, I love those EoB/Lands of Lore 1 (which I bought off of GoG) style games and I'm not giving them back. :smugbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just repeating that there is no such thing as 'formal' abandonware. It's not legal, but it's a breach of copyright so piddling that most companies willingly turn a blind eye to it. Developers mostly, publishers less so.

The commonly accepted definition of Abandonware is a game that is
A: Old (usually at least one hardware generation back)
B: Completely out of print and unavailable first-hand

If the only way to get hold of a game is at several times the original RRP from some guy on eBay, it probably falls under the banner of abandonware. The moment a site starts selling it again, fresh and new? Then it isn't abandoned anymore, is it?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

pixelbaron posted:

It'd be fun to play X-Wing Alliance multiplayer with a bunch of goons.
What was that mod that let you pilot capital ships? A FFA between 16 super star destroyers would be delightful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

JustJeff88 posted:

If you're interested, I'll try and find them again.

Since abandonware is such a messy subject and god knows if it counts as :filez: just say the name of that French site, but don't link to it. I will buy the Golden Box it if it ever gets on GOG, but at least I'm happy to know that the version floating elsewhere is compatible with modern systems.

On another subject, how do you guys configure modern joysticks with old games?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 3, 2012

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sombrerotron posted:

What was that mod that let you pilot capital ships? A FFA between 16 super star destroyers would be delightful.

Don't know how I missed that mod but now I want it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's as simple as editing a txt file, if I remember correctly. :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Since abandonware is such a messy subject and god knows if it counts as :filez: just say the name of that French site, but don't link to it. I will buy the Golden Box it if it ever gets on GOG, but at least I'm happy to know that the version floating elsewhere is compatible with modern systems.

On another subject, how do you guys configure modern joysticks with old games?

Sent you a PM with pertinent information

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

teethgrinder posted:

I think people using xbox controllers are either in denial or just don't want to buy another accessory to gather dust later. I'm not saying you can't use them, but my personal opinion is that a joystick is more immersive and fun.

Good for you, I guess? I have a flight stick and use it for flight sim/x-plane but for freespace 2 i'll take the 360 controller every time. The game controls so much more sharply with the 360 pad it's ludicrous.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

teethgrinder posted:

I'll be sad if my adjustable-for-left-handed Saitek Cyborg Evo ever bites the dust. I don't think anything like it is manufactured any longer.

Wait, it's left-handed/ambidextrous? I've been kinda wanting a flight stick/HOTAS, but everything is made for right-handers and I haven't had much luck finding a decent one that's left-handed.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

404notfound posted:

Wait, it's left-handed/ambidextrous? I've been kinda wanting a flight stick/HOTAS, but everything is made for right-handers and I haven't had much luck finding a decent one that's left-handed.

Yeah, the hand rest could be flipped and reattached for either left or right handed people. The head of the stick could also be readjusted for your hand size, letting you reach the hat switch and buttons easier.

It's discontinued, obviously.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

404notfound posted:

Looks like this is the successor: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Looks like this is the successor: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Actually, Saitek just recently released a successor to the Cyborg. Not sure if it's as fully ambidextrous (I hope so - I'm a lefty too), but it looks similar enough.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They no longer advertise it as ambidextrous so I doubt it's likely. The design elements and throttle position don't seem to imply otherwise.

I blame MadCatz!! (Which by most accounts seems to be a quality company nowadays.)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dominic White posted:

Actually, Saitek just recently released a successor to the Cyborg. Not sure if it's as fully ambidextrous (I hope so - I'm a lefty too), but it looks similar enough.

It's not ambidextrous, it only opens that way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's not ambidextrous, it only opens that way.

Goddammit! The one line of joysticks I liked, and they go and remove the one feature that I literally, physically need.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Sorry to break away from Wing Commander/Joystick chat but I just got Arcanum off GoG and installed Drog Blacktooth's patch and the widescreen fix. Now for some reason I have a mouse pointer just chilling in the middle of the screen at all times, in addition to the one controlled by my mouse. Did I install the mods out of order or something?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dominic White posted:

Goddammit! The one line of joysticks I liked, and they go and remove the one feature that I literally, physically need.

Left handed people, the last minority in gaming :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AxeManiac posted:

Dunno, being left handed and using a right handed controller bugs me. Kid Icarus on the 3DS on the other hand...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

Nah, there's also the colorblind and dudes that get sick when the FOV in FPS games is too low. (Also left handed here.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Nah, there's also the colorblind and dudes that get sick when the FOV in FPS games is too low. (Also left handed here.)

I'm primarily right handed, so I can't say much (I do a few minor things with my left), but I am very slightly colourblind and even just a little bit can be a huge impediment for gaming. I used to play TF2 all the time and I would constantly get killed because it was hard for me to distinguish between RED and BLU team members from the middle distance and beyond, so I would hesitate sometimes while trying to tell one from the other and then promptly get a pipe bomb in the earhole.

If you haven't played, every player of any specific class in TF2 looks identical except for some of the colours on his character model that change depending on his team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rirse posted:

Dunno, being left handed and using a right handed controller bugs me. Kid Icarus on the 3DS on the other hand...

I can't play with the buttons, wish to god they made it dual analog.

I think I might just "watch" Wing Commander. I'm horrible at those games anyway, but the movie stuff sounds fun!