Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The two games I would love to get made are IWAR2:Edge of Chaos and a new crimson skies game.

IWAR2 was almost perfect in every way, just remake it with better graphics and more playable ships. Who do I have to harass to make this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

a new crimson skies game.

Whooooaaa.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Saoshyant posted:

:siren: Stop Everything :siren:

It's the turn-based strategy return of Shadowrun by its creator! $400.000 goal, 24 days left.

Please make it happen :ohdear:

edit: oh my god, they throw cabbages at the guy who made the Shadowrun FPS! Have all my money!

But... did they ever make games? I know them more for their boardgames :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Who made Rocket Jockey and what hole do I have to drag him out of.

Saoshyant posted:

It's the turn-based strategy return of Shadowrun by its creator! $400.000 goal, 24 days left.

This is how you make a good Kickstarter video.

e: holy poo poo Smith & Tinker. man absolutely nothing came out of that

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 4, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Your Civilization has entered a Golden Age!

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

edit: oh my god, they throw cabbages at the guy who made the Shadowrun FPS! Have all my money!

Worthy of it's own thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm kind of curious, given how finicky Steam can be with indie games, mainly how they reject indie games without much of a reason or even with any sort of consistent policy, how are all these Kickstarters so sure that they'll get on Steam? Do they actually talk it over with Valve or are they just optimistic?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kind of curious, given how finicky Steam can be with indie games, mainly how they reject indie games without much of a reason or even with any sort of consistent policy, how are all these Kickstarters so sure that they'll get on Steam? Do they actually talk it over with Valve or are they just optimistic?

They're optimistic that since they're a kickstarter with buzz that they'll be more attractive to Steam. I mean, it's a sure thing that Double Fine Adventure will be accepted for those reasons. There's really no telling who will get accepted until they're accepted or denied, though.

Edit: Backed Shadowrun due to the great video. In the past, I was never really interested in turn-based strategy or turn-based rpgs, but I guess I'll be GETTING interested because I've backed like 3 of them now...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

signalnoise posted:

Your Civilization has entered a Golden Age!

Golden goose, more like.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

mutata posted:

They're optimistic that since they're a kickstarter with buzz that they'll be more attractive to Steam. I mean, it's a sure thing that Double Fine Adventure will be accepted for those reasons. There's really no telling who will get accepted until they're accepted or denied, though.

Edit: Backed Shadowrun due to the great video. In the past, I was never really interested in turn-based strategy or turn-based rpgs, but I guess I'll be GETTING interested because I've backed like 3 of them now...

It's almost exactly this. Lots of initial buzz, coupled with (if possible) good pre-release reviews and gaming news coverage goes a long way to helping an indie game get on Steam. That's the hopes, at least.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

SparkTR posted:

Worthy of it's own thread.

I'd agree with that. Has anybody emailed RPS yet too? :)

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
And... and... Jane Jensen, the developer behind Gabriel Knight and more recently Gray Matter, has just kick-started -- guess what? -- a game studio to develop new cool adventure games:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

Can't they space these things out a bit, dammit.

Donated to this and Shadowrun and oh my god.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Goddamnit, Tim Schafer! What have you done now?

I don't have money to support all of these awesome projects.

But, but Gabriel Knight! I want more games like that. gently caress being responsible.

Tufty posted:

Has anybody emailed RPS yet too? :)

Please do.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 4, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CrookedB posted:

And... and... Jane Jensen, the developer behind Gabriel Knight and more recently Gray Matter, has just kick-started -- guess what? -- a game studio to develop new cool adventure games:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

Why does Jane Jensen think she's in a Twilight inspired photo shoot? I honestly cannot tell you why those photos of her that she put up bother me so much, but I guess that sort of "brooding" atmosphere just seems very...off.

And tangentially, why isn't Gray Matter on Steam?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I really really hope that the fact that the Shadowrun game will be developed on Moai for Android and iOS will not dilute what the PC game could (should) be.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

GrandpaPants posted:

Gray Matter's entire publishing history was a joke. It had basically no advertising outside of press releases and then it was in stores for literally about a week. They did at least put it on Gamesplanet but they never bothered with Steam. Even though that would've probably at least doubled their sales.

It's a lot better if she goes indie with the next project.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

GrandpaPants posted:

Why does Jane Jensen think she's in a Twilight inspired photo shoot? I honestly cannot tell you why those photos of her that she put up bother me so much, but I guess that sort of "brooding" atmosphere just seems very...off.

She does look silly in that pic, but come on, it's Jane Jensen! Cut her some slack.

No idea why Gray Matter isn't on Steam yet. Maybe if everyone spams Steam with requests? Hmm.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shadowrun goes really fast. So early after start they have over $40,000 already. People are hyped and it hasn't even hit the news yet.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Shadowrun definitely looks like it'll reach its goal. So exciting!

Also, I think I'll create a separate thread for Jane Jensen's Kickstarter, if nobody minds. Her project isn't going to be as "big" as Shadowrun obviously, but it's three new adventure games designed by Jensen and oh how I hope it succeeds.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Saoshyant posted:

I came here to make sure this was posted and being evangelized.

This announcement/Kickstarter deserves a thread of its own. Shadowrunner loving owns. I played the balls out of the SNES back in the day.

Edit: I swore there was a Shadowrunner LP on the LP Archive too. drat it.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 4, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I hope each of those games will have that creepy photo on the cover with just #1, #2 and #3 written in the corner.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Berk Berkly posted:

This announcement/Kickstarter deserves a thread of its own.

If nobody does it before I get home, I'll try and make a thread about it, explaining what Shadowrun was, etc. So HYPE right now.

e: oh nvm

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Saoshyant posted:

If nobody does it before I get home, I'll try and make a thread about it, explaining what Shadowrun was, etc. So HYPE right now.

Somebody just beat you to it :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476514

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What the hell has happened? During the last 10 years we've seen only a handful of interesting turn-based role-playing games, but suddenly they're getting kickstarted left and right. :confuoot:

Tim Schafer might've have accidentally saved the CRPG scene.

Also,

Shadowrun! :swoon:

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I've started a separate thread for Jane Jensen's spiritual successor to Gabriel Knight kickstarter:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476529

I'm kinda awful at OPs, but hopefully it gets at least a few people to donate. :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
edit: wrong thread

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 4, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kickstarter has painfully reminded me how all of the big names from yesteryear are making casual poo poo and cell phone games. These people were the superstars of the 80s and 90s but somehow they've been reduced to designing disposable flash games. How? Were they too pioneering to be placed on modern teams? Would they rather found their own teams that subsist off casual games than cater to big publishers (that's what Fargo seems to be inciting)? When I look at all the designers I looked up to 10 years ago that are still relevant, they're doing big name games I couldn't give two shits about (Molyneux with Fable, Cliffy B with Gears of War).

I'm glad Kickstarter is helping these people get the income necessary to see their old projects come back to life. It's a crime they've been pushed to the wayside because they all have really good ideas.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

al-azad posted:

Kickstarter has painfully reminded me how all of the big names from yesteryear are making casual poo poo and cell phone games.

Brian Reynolds needs to take Zynga's golden pacifier out of his mouth and Kickstart a spiritual sequel to Alpha Centauri. :colbert:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

:frogsiren: Holy poo poo!! Instantly donated.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Smol posted:

What the hell has happened? During the last 10 years we've seen only a handful of interesting turn-based role-playing games, but suddenly they're getting kickstarted left and right. :confuoot:

Tim Schafer might've have accidentally saved the CRPG scene.

Also,

Shadowrun! :swoon:

The important thing to keep in mind is that these games have to be developed within the budget they're given through Kickstarter, and that they have to sell more when they release despite a huge chunk of their customer base already investing in the game. Even if a business is happy to just break even on a project (which most aren't), they still have to make a little bit of profit to support the company until they get more funding for another project.

If Wasteland gets 2.1 million to make a game, and they make a game with all that 2.1 million, but then it doesn't sell well because everyone who would have purchased the game already invested it in through Kickstarter, than it isn't really a "success".

Of course you could argue that generating 2.1 million for a project through strict word of mouth on the internet for a crowdfunding initiative proves there is some worth to making similar games, but publisher's aren't likely to see it that way.

On the flip side, if they got 2.1 million and spent just 1 million, that's a pretty decent success. Be curious to see what kind of reaction would come out of that, or people would even know. Or what if it was a 1.5 million game with 600k of marketing?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
If the games are any good at all and avaliable on Steam at the very least they are going to make money for years to come, let alone if they are iPad/Tab ports.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

al-azad posted:

Kickstarter has painfully reminded me how all of the big names from yesteryear are making casual poo poo and cell phone games. These people were the superstars of the 80s and 90s but somehow they've been reduced to designing disposable flash games. How? Were they too pioneering to be placed on modern teams? Would they rather found their own teams that subsist off casual games than cater to big publishers (that's what Fargo seems to be inciting)? When I look at all the designers I looked up to 10 years ago that are still relevant, they're doing big name games I couldn't give two shits about (Molyneux with Fable, Cliffy B with Gears of War).

I'm glad Kickstarter is helping these people get the income necessary to see their old projects come back to life. It's a crime they've been pushed to the wayside because they all have really good ideas.

And Levellord has said that he's spending his retirement making eye spy games for old ladies.

Casual games are attractive to developers because they require less financial risk and can have even more massive returns than hardcore games. Casual game startups also give out stock options, which traditional game studios never do. It's easier to have a 40 hour work week at a casual game company, and it's easier to develop and own your own IP. Casual publishers are more hands off, and project cycles are shorter. Casual game companies don't let scores of people go after a big project gets completed. Basically casual game companies are better than traditional companies in every way from a work perspective.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Saoshyant posted:

Holy poo poo, they're gonna pass that goal on the first day at this rate..

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Shadowrun guys posted a video and seem to be a little overwhelmed! :v: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/201968?ref=email&show_token=49c7999bda3968d3&play=1#video

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
Donated for Wasteland 2. Hoping we can forever keep Obsidian from having to deal with a publisher. I'll throw $50 at a 1/1000 chance of keeping Activision/EA from ever having influence over my favored RPGs again. No reward needed.

This can be utilized to free a developer from requiring a publisher to having the capital to self-publish.

People who rag on the system are right in the sense that if everyone gave indiscriminately then it would be silly.

I wish Steam would implement/moderate something like Kickstarter. Add some functionality like dev tracking so you can read about the people who are on-board and moderate it to keep out trolls.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadowrun needs to make a triumphant comeback in video game form. That mediocre shooter never happened.

nessin posted:

On the flip side, if they got 2.1 million and spent just 1 million, that's a pretty decent success. Be curious to see what kind of reaction would come out of that, or people would even know. Or what if it was a 1.5 million game with 600k of marketing?

This is one of the concerns some people have. "Oh they reached their goal but now they're asking for more so clearly they're in it for the money!" It could happen, sure, but I have good faith the extra money is being put towards making the project better.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just saw this linked in the RPS article about Shadowrun, in case anyone else wants to part with more cash:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

al-azad posted:

This is one of the concerns some people have. "Oh they reached their goal but now they're asking for more so clearly they're in it for the money!" It could happen, sure, but I have good faith the extra money is being put towards making the project better.
This definitely, especially for the kickstarters by indie game makers. They're using this platforming to be able to release the game they want, and also do this as a full-time thing instead of as a part-time gig. I suppose you might escape the "in it for the money!" being obvious when it comes to publishers, but ultimately, I feel like most game developers are in it for the money at the end of the day. It's just they'd like to also make the game they're interested in and release it like they want, instead of as dictated by a publisher.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

nessin posted:

Just saw this linked in the RPS article about Shadowrun, in case anyone else wants to part with more cash:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Following up "the game's style is photo real, gritty" with 90s era CGI was probably a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Whelp, the Shadowrun Returns thread sure is shitted up by people who don't understand Kickstarter, instead of y'know talking about the game.