Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I just tried out that I Am Alive demo, seemed kinda neat if really poorly polished and I gotta ask to anyone else who played it: how were you really supposed to win that fight against two dudes at once?

I tried knocking one out then going to fight the other one but that initiated a "struggle kill" instead of a knock out, got attacked, accidentally fired the one bullet they give you, and then repeatedly told them to back up towards the gap (until their models were nearly meshing together at the same position) and pushed one after the other into it. Can you seriously win fights throughout game by doing that?

It's kind of disappointing, because it looks like a really cool Uncharted meets Disaster Report in greyscale kinda deal but it just feels so unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I heard it was like Disaster Report, that made me really happy at first now that Irem stopped making games, but if it sucks I guess it sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

omnibobb posted:

You are allowed to borrow new games for up to 4 days, and, at my Gamestops at least, they were checked when they came back in. It was just a cursory glance however. Also, we were told not to use any codes, but I'm sure there was no way to check. I only borrowed older games.

Also, how do you (not you NESguerilla, just a general "you") expect them to keep an accurate inventory on the shelf without opening cases? If the box is on the shelf, they have it. If they were using generic boxes, or printed out boxes I guarantee they would either a)represent product they don't have or b) not represent product they do have.

Don't get me wrong, Gamestop has a lot of lovely practices, but opening a box and putting it in a sleeve and selling it for new isn't really one.

They could keep an accurate inventory by putting dummy cases on the shelves and keeping the real ones behind the counter then pulling the dummy case when they sell the last copy. Not that the current system keeps an accurate inventory anyways. I have tried to buy games at Gamestop multiple times just to find out that they can;t find the disc or cart.

Or they could just do it like every other retailer out there and lock them up or put theft protection cases on them.

It's not a huge issue for me but it is unquestionably bullshit selling people used items as new. If you buy a floor model of a TV or couch you at least get a discount. This poo poo is really the least of Gamestop's problems though. Somtimes I am astounded they are still in business.

Policenaut posted:

So I just tried out that I Am Alive demo, seemed kinda neat if really poorly polished and I gotta ask to anyone else who played it: how were you really supposed to win that fight against two dudes at once?

I tried knocking one out then going to fight the other one but that initiated a "struggle kill" instead of a knock out, got attacked, accidentally fired the one bullet they give you, and then repeatedly told them to back up towards the gap (until their models were nearly meshing together at the same position) and pushed one after the other into it. Can you seriously win fights throughout game by doing that?

It's kind of disappointing, because it looks like a really cool Uncharted meets Disaster Report in greyscale kinda deal but it just feels so unfinished.

Basically every encounter is the same. You usually have one bullet and you get approached by 3-4 guys. You wait for them to walk up to you, cut the first guys throat, then pull out your gun and shoot whichever enemy has a gun. Then you struggle kill the other 1-2 guys.

Hope you think that it's fun because it happens a million times.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 4, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
A big part of opening game boxes is probably to condition customers into thinking that if the boxes are open anyway, they might as well get a used copy as what's the difference?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

HardDisk posted:

For those that played Journey: Would you recommend the game if it was 25 bucks instead of 15?
$25 is a bit steep considering the shortness of the game but it does have great replayability. My price break point would be at $20 and no more. I love Journey and hope thatgamecompany makes a boatload of cash from it because a world with more games like Journey would be a very better place.

The $15 dollar price point they have it at now is just right and by all reports is ringing in healthy sales numbers over at thatgamecompany.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love it too but I wouldn't pay much more than the current price point. It's great but it's like 2 hours long and I got pretty bored my second time through. Absolutely worth the 15 they are asking though. The first playthrough is unreal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

More details on Suda51's "Killer is Dead". Sounds interesting!

Oh, and XSEED might be announcing Way of the Samurai 4 for US localization today. Just a heads up.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

omnibobb posted:

Don't get me wrong, Gamestop has a lot of lovely practices, but opening a box and putting it in a sleeve and selling it for new isn't really one.

This is actually the sole reason I quit going to GameStop forever ago

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

What is the point of that particular practice by Gamestop? Is it just to thwart shoplifters?

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Urban Achiever posted:

What is the point of that particular practice by Gamestop? Is it just to thwart shoplifters?

I assume so. Most major convenience stores will just force you to pay for the product at the back counter (while keeping the product out of your hands in the meantime) or lock it in a case so it can't easily be retrieved (And will trigger the alarms.) In Gamestop's case, they're usually smaller outlets, and having one person operate a glass case just so people can look at games would waste time. They do have them but they're behind the counter and usually only hold new and sealed games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Way of the Samurai 4 coming to North America

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Urban Achiever posted:

I think Parkingtigers nailed it. After all, if the disc and case are pristine, what's the difference between new and used except the plastic? Of course loss prevention could work just as well with a SINGLE case sitting out on the shelf. There's no need for more than one.

Regardless, a retailer's job is to stock the games and otherwise leave them the gently caress alone. Maybe those giant plastic clamshells or something, but otherwise don't touch the product.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Urban Achiever posted:

And to easily display inventory.

I just want to make clear, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for not shopping at Gamestop because of their opening games policy, just that in their business model it makes sense, and after working at three different gamestops for a total of about 1.5 years, there are loads of other problems they have.

My biggest problem is letting employees open up new games and take them home and play them and then selling them as new. That's lovely.

Also, you have to sell a certain % of used games. There are two ways to go about this, my way was to say "Oh, want me to see if we have this game used? We can save you some money and it has the same warranty as new. No? OK" and that was it. But like mentioned earlier, some people will just grab a used game and "assume" that's what you wanted.

Pushing reserves is another thing that pisses a lot of people off. My idea was, if you are going to get the game, and you are going to get it from gamestop, why not reserve? You don't lose anything in it and often get a bonus for reserving. It's all about the wording of it - "the only way to guarantee you get the game on release day" is truthful. All the other stores could sell out. Again though, some people will say "only way to get the game on release day" which is dishonest.

I've stopped shopping at Gamestop, not because of any of their practices, but because I've found cheaper ways to get games.

Also, I think the Games subforum needs a derailed thread like BSS does.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Urban Achiever posted:

Yeah, they do it for a display copy, and usually only to 1 copy of the game unless it's a super-high-profile release, then they just use dummy cases. There actually have been cases that I've read here on SA where someone shoved a bunch of "games" into a bag since there's no anti-theft stuff, so it's not a particularly unreasonable practice, in theory.

The unreasonable part comes in when the display copy is also their last, so it's sell that or lose the sale. Selling a gutted case, with a high chance of having manuals and promo codes missing, for full price isn't a very good thing to do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is promising but I hope its not as tedious and terrible as 3. That game was awful.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

SpacePig posted:

The unreasonable part comes in when the display copy is also their last, so it's sell that or lose the sale. Selling a gutted case, with a high chance of having manuals and promo codes missing, for full price isn't a very good thing to do.

When they gut a new game, they should pull manual/etc with the gut.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Thanks for the great responses to my question.

Really thinking about it, I think parkingtigers did nail it. Gamestop's entire business is pretty much focused on selling used merchandise as it's almost pure margin for them. To that end, every fiber of their culture needs to be aligned to accomplish that one goal; from employee punishment incentives to conditioning the customer and shaping their expectations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

omnibobb posted:

When they gut a new game, they should pull manual/etc with the gut.

"Should" being the operative word there. This was not the case for me the few times I've had this happen, even though it should have been.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Yodzilla posted:

This is promising but I hope its not as tedious and terrible as 3. That game was awful.

I hope so too. I really wanted to gently caress around in WOTS3 but ended up just steamrolling toward any ending and stopped playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
According to Siliconera it'll be PSN only. This is the current gen WoTS game that was supposed to be really good, right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Am I late to the party on this? When the hell did Way Forward announce they were making a Double Dragon game?

:stare:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/wayforward-adds-a-dose-of-neon-to-double-dragon-for-xbla-and-psn/

quote:

Somehow, when we weren't looking, Majesco got hold of the Double Dragon franchise, and then turned it over to its Bloodrayne Betrayal partner WayForward Technologies. The result is Double Dragon: Neon, a side-scrolling brawler in a totally '80s setting.

This time, twins Billy and Jimmy Lee are fighting to save Marian from "Skullmageddon," who, judging from concept art, has an army of wizards, cyborg police, and Linda. It's scheduled for release on PSN (for PS3) and XBLA this July. Is "downloadable, high-definition 2D franchise revival from WayForward and Majesco" going to become an annual summer tradition? We'd be okay with that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hope it controls like Double Dragon 2 where one button makes you attack left and the other attack right.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god. This means we are one step further to WayForward getting the rights to make a new Battletoads game. :suspense:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The success of this game will be determined entirely by how Abobo looks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That just made my day. Excellent news indeed!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just completed Yakuza 3, man that was an amazing game! And now I can either go for 100% on trophies or move onto Bioshock 1+2 (Which have been in my backlog for almost a year now). :)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Temascos posted:

Just completed Yakuza 3, man that was an amazing game! And now I can either go for 100% on trophies or move onto Bioshock 1+2 (Which have been in my backlog for almost a year now). :)

You should move onto Yakuza 4, because it has Kiryu and Tanimura and Akiyama.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Stelas posted:

No hush you Bioshock is awesome <:mad:>

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bioshock really is great. I wish I could go back in time to play it again for the first time.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm also replaying Bioshock again, only this time on Survival difficulty. It really makes the gameplay fit the tense atmosphere.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god. This means we are one step further to WayForward getting the rights to make a new Battletoads game. :suspense:
Lord, that would be terrifying. Their games are already extremely challenging, you don't want to give them a blank slate and say "just make it true to the stupidly difficult original!".

... but Double Dragon, I can do. I played a ton of Double Dragon II back in the day, bizarre controls and all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm also replaying Bioshock again, only this time on Survival difficulty. It really makes the gameplay fit the tense atmosphere.

Unfortunately it's still not all that hard, even if you do it with Vita Chambers off.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stelas posted:

What this guy said.

Bioshock is cool I am sure but Yakuza 4 is Yakuza 4 and if you're like me and loved Yakuza 3, 4 blows it out of the water. Still my favorite game on the PS3, but man Resonance of Fate was creeping up there for a bit.

[also Saejima is cool in his own way. fighting with him was meh, but the scene of him... well... causing the game's major plot device was incredible]

Akiyama is the best, Tanimura is a blast to fight with, Kiryu owns as always, and the sidequests are great. Also mahjong.

I think Yakuza 4 had a lack of Michiru though, which would be the only real problem I have with it. :v:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 5, 2012

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

whaley posted:

This is actually the sole reason I quit going to GameStop forever ago

The "new" games are usually worse than used games because they insist on placing a large sticker that marks your case up forever. The used stickers usually scrape off without harm.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cbouncerrun posted:

Unfortunately it's still not all that hard, even if you do it with Vita Chambers off.

It was quite hard in the beginning, but once you start taking a lot of pictures and finding anti-personal rounds, the splicers become more annoying than difficult. I'm still dying a lot though, a lot more than when I played it on normal.

Big Daddies can be difficult if you don't cheese them with Hypnotize or Security Bullseye.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So ~5.5 hours into Mass Effect 2 and I'm starting over...Infiltrator sucks...why didn't any of you tell me not to chose Infiltrator? :qq:

So...Engineer any good?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

So ~5.5 hours into Mass Effect 2 and I'm starting over...Infiltrator sucks...why didn't any of you tell me not to chose Infiltrator? :qq:

So...Engineer any good?

Infiltrator is good if you like sniping. Infi and Soldier are commonly regarded as the easiest classes to beat ME2 insanity with. What kind of shooty things do you like to shoot? If you don't like to shoot much at all then engineer is a good choice.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DrBouvenstein posted:

So...Engineer any good?

I always played as infiltrator, although I think the class would be kind of crappy if you didn't get the SMG from the Kasumi loyalty mission.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

So...Engineer any good?

Engineer was my first ME2 playthrough (on non-Insanity) and I found it very enjoyable. Your distraction globe of enemy annoyance provides a great cushion for battles for you to recover shields and seek new cover and the general Engineer abilities help with robot types. Sure you're weak to biotics but that's what your globe of distraction is for.

I recommend it. But I wouldn't recommend it for Insanity, if only because I was unimpressed by the Sentry's applicability at the higher difficulty. Died kind of quick and the explosive option was underwhelming in Normal and more underwhelming in Insanity.

I went with Adept for my Insanity playthrough because I found the biotic combos satisfying destructively even on the higher difficulty.

Edit: I remember reading that but after quitting my Engineer insanity, trying a few others briefly (first fight basically), I was just wrecking people with Adept. Singularity made cover irrelevant for enemies, stunlocks oversized enemies, and the Warp-Sing-Warp meant that one single guy in a group of heavily shielded/biotic groups would seriously wreck his nearby friends. It was very fun and it was great having tools that you could use when every drat thing in Insanity was shielded or armored.
V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Engineer was my first ME2 playthrough (on non-Insanity) and I found it very enjoyable. Your distraction globe of enemy annoyance provides a great cushion for battles for you to recover shields and seek new cover and the general Engineer abilities help with robot types. Sure you're weak to biotics but that's what your globe of distraction is for.

I recommend it. But I wouldn't recommend it for Insanity, if only because I was unimpressed by the Sentry's applicability at the higher difficulty. Died kind of quick and the explosive option was underwhelming in Normal and more underwhelming in Insanity.

I went with Adept for my Insanity playthrough because I found the biotic combos satisfying destructively even on the higher difficulty.

Funnily enough the Adept is considered by many to be the weakest class in ME2, especially for insanity (but they're absolutely ridiculous in ME1 and 3) and the shotgun Sentinel with assault armor is one of the best classes for insanity.

• Locked thread