Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Normal Adult Human posted:

Whirrun reminded me of burnt face dog man from the GRRM books. He had this entire characterization of gaining revenge upon his elder brother but just died of fever in the middle of nowhere without any real goal or closure.

Just go to the GRRM thread dude with the same post and be enlightened :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET

DarkCrawler posted:

really... go do this^^^^

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

No! Don't go there, it a den of vile... looks left, oh, wait... move along, nothing to see here.

What is the ETA of the next book? I can't wait for it. Started the Black Legion series on the recommendations from this thread and it's pretty good so far, haven't gotten through the first book yet, but I'm liking it.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Whirrun reminded me of burnt face dog man from the GRRM books. He had this entire characterization of gaining revenge upon his elder brother but just died of fever in the middle of nowhere without any real goal or closure.

He's not dead

The Whirrun thing was cool because you expect legendary heroes in fantasy books to have plot armor and for the whole book he seems like an unstoppable force of nature like in a Dynasty Warriors game. Especially since he basically seems to take his own plot armor and destiny for granted. And then he goes down randomly in the whirl of battle to a nameless, faceless guy.

That's what Abercrombie was going for there, though, which is why it wouldn't make any sense for the 'nameless, faceless guy' to be a major player.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Above Our Own posted:

I'd say it was Abercrombie at his usual shtick, subverting common fantasy tropes. Legendary warrior with an ancient sword of power dies pointlessly in a relatively inconsequential fight.

Killed by some random jerk who basically fumbled his way over. If I recall Whirrun was after an amazing, cataclysmic battle between himself and (badass sun-killer, all-slayer, mega-swordsman eunuch) Bremer dan Gorst. Bad luck mate. War is hell.

I added spoilers, I'm not sure what the spoiler rules are in this thread.

Actually everyone else is not using them, anyway...

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Was this from the last book Dance with Dragons? Because maybe you should spoiler that since this isnt the GRRM thread. I don't think I wanted to read that :mad: I spoilered it in case others come in here.

EDIT: Apparently there's more to it by the extra blocks of black text from others so that's good.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Black Legion series

Do you mean Black Company or is there actually a series called Black Legion that I need to check out?

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Hondo82 posted:

Was this from the last book Dance with Dragons? Because maybe you should spoiler that since this isnt the GRRM thread. I don't think I wanted to read that :mad: I spoilered it in case others come in here.

EDIT: Apparently there's more to it by the extra blocks of black text from others so that's good.

No, it's implied he died in book 3, then it's hinted he's not dead in book 4.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Orion just released a catalog of all their books coming out this year and this is the blurb for Red Country:

Orion posted:

His name is Logen Ninefingers.
And he’s back for one more
adventure...
Joe Abercrombie is the most
successful genre novelist of his
generation, with a remarkable,
cynical and powerful voice
cutting through the clichés
of the fantasy genre to create
something compelling and
exceptionally commercial.
A Red Country is his most
powerful novel yet.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
:confuoot: Logen's back :confuoot: :woop:

I kind of wish they would have left his arc alone but I've got confidence in the author so we'll see.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I loving love you! And I love Joe, and Logen and the whole drat world!

Made my whole loving day.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
It is going to be pretty awesome getting to read more of Logen dropping his wisdom and catchphrases and then going into psychotic, violent rages when he's caught in some poo poo.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

savinhill posted:

It is going to be pretty awesome getting to read more of Logen dropping his wisdom and catchphrases and then going into psychotic, violent rages when he's caught in some poo poo.

In a motherfucking Western. :clint:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
If that's true then I'll grudgingly eat my words, but I really did think that story was better off left alone and done.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

If that's true then I'll grudgingly eat my words, but I really did think that story was better off left alone and done.

Seconded. Logen was probably my 2nd favorite character in the trilogy (behind Glokta), but I think his story ended well enough and should be left as it is.

Dosen't mean I won't read the poo poo out of the new book though. :black101:

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
True, but if there was ever a character who'd do well in a fantasy Unforgiven William Munney type role...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Great news, really looking forward to it. Sure Logen had a complete arc in TFL but I think Joe could some interesting things with him in a western setting, particularly some amusing plays on his northmen ancestry.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Great news to wake up to, only thing better was if it were coming out next week. Logen might have had a complete arc in TFL but he can just start a new one, I don't care. It's the Bloody Nine :black101:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Suck it doubters! None bloodier than Logan's past!

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 21, 2012

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silentgoldfish posted:

True, but if there was ever a character who'd do well in a fantasy Unforgiven William Munney type role...

That's exactly what I was picturing.

"Who's the fellow owns this shithole?"

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
gently caress that poo poo, lovely ambiguous endings are a trope now and Joe's out to blast them all! gently caress yes, motherfucking Logen's back!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fly Molo posted:

That's exactly what I was picturing.

"Who's the fellow owns this shithole?"

"You, Fatman, speak up."

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Ninefingers... Welp dudes are going to get really, really dead this time around I guess.

Wingon
May 7, 2007

LETS GO DRINK DRUNK
I'm a bit more than halfway through the third book of TFL. I'm loving the trilogy, and I've got the other two books in the big pile of unread.

At first I wasn't too big a fan of Logen. Now I'm rather happy about him being in the new book. Western, Logen, Abercrombie. There's no way this won't end horrible.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Umph posted:

Yeah, along with a mysterious uncle with the bloodiest past, the preview says her and Lamben the Bloody Nineuncle go and meet Cosca. No other character from the first law fits the description, ansd Joe wouldn't troll that hard, hes more subtle when he trolls. Its 100% logen.

I called it four pages ago. Just saying.

Also :dance:

Can't bloody wait!

Umph fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 23, 2012

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Thanks to this thread, I've now read The First Law trilogy and Best Served Cold and am about to start on The Heroes. Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'm loving Joe Abercrombie's characterisation and style.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
FINALLY had the chance to finish the book. Took me much longer than it should have due to distractions.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When the incest is revealed and you get all shocked I'm gonna be laughing on you.
You know, this actually blindside me or bother me too much. I think I've been so desensitized by reading all that GRRM that it didn't phase me. In fact, when they were first introduced at the beginning of the book, I assumed they were lovers. When it was clarified that they were brother and sister, I was initially confused; after that I assumed there was incest going on. It was still gross, but it didn't come out of left field for me. v:shobon:v

Hughmoris posted:

I'm waiting for him to get to "It should have been you."
And this was the moment I was going to say stunned me and horrified me. Jesus Christ was that traumatic.

I really, really liked this one. I totally get why people are so nuts about Cosca now. I liked him okay in the First Law triology, but it wasn't until Best Served Cold when he really had the chance to take center stage and shine that everything clicked and he quickly became one of my favorite Abercrombie characters.

Anyway, just a few questions. Not sure there are actual answers to them just yet, but just wondering.

- Regarding Shenkt: Why was he trying to keep Monza alive? (And incidentally, what a massive mind-gently caress that was.) Was he working for Khalul? Was Khalul hoping to use her to dispose of Orso so that the Union (and by extension Bayaz), would lose one of their most powerful allies? It seemed that this was hinted at and not explicitly stated, but I just wanted to know if I was reading that right.

- Regarding Shenkt and Sulfur: Who was the master Sulfer accused Shenkt of abandoning? My instincts say Bayaz, but was it someone older, like Juvens or Kanedias?

Well, onto The Heroes. And after that, I'll be stuck with the rest of you waiting until Red Country comes out in the fall in order to get my next Abercrombie fix.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

UncleMonkey posted:

- Regarding Shenkt: Why was he trying to keep Monza alive? (And incidentally, what a massive mind-gently caress that was.) Was he working for Khalul? Was Khalul hoping to use her to dispose of Orso so that the Union (and by extension Bayaz), would lose one of their most powerful allies? It seemed that this was hinted at and not explicitly stated, but I just wanted to know if I was reading that right.

- Regarding Shenkt and Sulfur: Who was the master Sulfer accused Shenkt of abandoning? My instincts say Bayaz, but was it someone older, like Juvens or Kanedias?

Well, onto The Heroes. And after that, I'll be stuck with the rest of you waiting until Red Country comes out in the fall in order to get my next Abercrombie fix.

- Regarding Shenkt: At first, I think he just didn't want to see his patient and the result of all his genius surgery work get killed. I don't think he took a personal interest in seeing any side win in all the fighting that was going on in the whole region of the book until Monza herself decided to become ruler of Styria. He wasn't working for Khalul, he hated both Bayaz and Khalul. Khalul did have that creepy black girl working for him in that area against Orso, who was Bayaz's pawn in that area. I don't know if it was ever stated outright that Bayaz was Shenkt's old master, but it was pretty heavily implied.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

Yes, it's Bayaz.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

UncleMonkey posted:

Shenkt was working for himself and he knew who Monza was. Bayaz was his master that he left ( At the end encounter Yoru says "Our master" and Shenkt replies "Your master, I have none, anymore, remember? I told him I was done." ) and he kept Monza alive because he knew she would work against Bayaz' wishes. Khalul's agent, Ishri/East Wind, did want to ally with Monza but Monza wasnt having any of it. She's a free agent, Shenkt is a free agent. Like Yoru Sulfur he took to cannibalism for the power under Bayaz.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

OK, cool. That all makes sense. Thanks, guys!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We have publications dates for Red Country!

UK: Thursday, Oct 18th 2012.
US: Tuesday, Nov 20th 2012.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I might just order it from the UK, especially considering that they will probably have better cover art anyway.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

I might just order it from the UK, especially considering that they will probably have better cover art anyway.

Get it from Bookdepository.co.uk they have free worldwide shipping anyways and usually either match or beat Amazon for pricing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hondo82 posted:

Shenkt was working for himself and he knew who Monza was. Bayaz was his master that he left ( At the end encounter Yoru says "Our master" and Shenkt replies "Your master, I have none, anymore, remember? I told him I was done." ) and he kept Monza alive because he knew she would work against Bayaz' wishes. Khalul's agent, Ishri/East Wind, did want to ally with Monza but Monza wasnt having any of it. She's a free agent, Shenkt is a free agent. Like Yoru Sulfur he took to cannibalism for the power under Bayaz.

Shenktchat: When he shows up in Orso's palace during the final seige, he also says something along the lines of "Bayaz made Orso, and I break what he makes". It's made pretty clear that he's the opposite number to Yoru Sulfur at that point, being the apprentice that saw what Bayaz was doing and went against it rather than become complicit in a centuries-long squabble between two old men. I can't recall if he had any opinions on Khalul at the moment because my copy isn't handy, but I'm sure he's not too fond of him either. I'd love to see more of his character, it was a breath of fresh air to finally have someone who knew what was going on and was actively opposed to it, rather than being a willing lackey or making GBS threads themselves in terror at the thought of pissing off Bayaz. Or one of the other magi who are more or less indifferent to the matter.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Any bets on Red Country having POVs from Khalul's side?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Bussamove posted:

Shenktchat:

Shenkt does not kneel. :black101:

I think it's in The Heroes that (also Best Served Cold spoiler) It's talked about by Bayaz/Sulfur that Monza's part of the world is a third party to the Bayaz/Khalul conflict, so I just assume Shenkt (WHO DOES NOT KNEEL) wants no part of either even if his opinion on Khalul isn't explicitly said.

He is a breath of fresh air and I hope to see him more!

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 5, 2012

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Pre-ordered Red Country for bookdepository.co.uk for $20 in hardcover with free delivery!

Now the agonizing wait.....

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

Get it from Bookdepository.co.uk they have free worldwide shipping anyways and usually either match or beat Amazon for pricing.
Oh wow, sweet! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
There's two hardcover Red Country(1, 2) listed there from different publishers, one is 560 pages and the other is 640. I'm assuming the difference in page count is something like font size or whatever? Anyone know?