Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Just make sure you stick with the same reader...I've heard that there is still quite a bit of difference between audio book versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
We just had a baby so Im super behind on the reread.

Over the next two weeks finish the book. Ill try to catch up and get back into this thread.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Two weeks? Then let's say this week...

The Shadow Rising: Chapters 37-47.

Then we'll finish her off next week with 48-58, and start FoH the week after.

If no one else actually does this, I don't care. I just like making specific goals for myself. Keeps me on track and allows me to read other books at the same time if I please.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

cryptoclastic posted:

If no one else actually does this, I don't care. I just like making specific goals for myself. Keeps me on track and allows me to read other books at the same time if I please.

Sounds good! I like goals too.

Advancing Sideways
Nov 10, 2008
Started a week and a half ago. Almost caught up to you guys. Then I'll get to contributing to the discussion, but I've quite enjoyed reading along as I've read - like a commentary for the books. So much that you never notice the first time around.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

cryptoclastic posted:

I just can't stay on pace ... I gobbled up the end of TSR last night. There was just too much cool stuff to stop. The climaxes for all three plot threads were great. I actually got a little emotional reading the Battle of Emond's Field and was surprised at how much I shared Rand's sadness when he surveyed the destruction he had brought to Rhuidean.

One question, though: I never really got why walking through the glass columns in Rhuidean was so dangerous for the Aiel clan-chiefs-to-be. Later, Rhuarc says that no more than one in three survive the trip. I guess I just can't quite buy that the revelations about their past are so traumatic that it drives them to suicide. Is it part of the whole honor and ji'e'toh thing?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

werdnam posted:

I just can't stay on pace ... I gobbled up the end of TSR last night. There was just too much cool stuff to stop. The climaxes for all three plot threads were great. I actually got a little emotional reading the Battle of Emond's Field and was surprised at how much I shared Rand's sadness when he surveyed the destruction he had brought to Rhuidean.

One question, though: I never really got why walking through the glass columns in Rhuidean was so dangerous for the Aiel clan-chiefs-to-be. Later, Rhuarc says that no more than one in three survive the trip. I guess I just can't quite buy that the revelations about their past are so traumatic that it drives them to suicide. Is it part of the whole honor and ji'e'toh thing?

Yeah, I think you answered your own question. They are a warrior society who are taught to kill as soon as they are old enough to hold a spear. Its not surprising to see that most of them that go to Rhuidean want to claw their eyes out when they learn that they are decended from a bunch of sing song girly men pacifists.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

werdnam posted:

It isn't suicide. The column ter'angreal requires you to take a step forward to trigger each new vision, and won't release you until you've gone all the way back to the beginning. The Aiel who disappear inside the columns reach a point where they cannot bear to take their next step, and so like the novices who disappear in the Acceptatron, they never emerge.

It is all part of ji'e'toh, though. Aiel are raised from birth to believe in the honour and strength of their people. The clan chief candidates then find out their ancestors forsook their sworn loyalty to the Aes Sedai because they weren't strong enough to follow a philosophy the Aiel despise for its perceived weakness - the ultimate shame on every level. The Aiel who become clan chiefs are the ones who are strong enough to bear that shame.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Jedit posted:

It isn't suicide. The column ter'angreal requires you to take a step forward to trigger each new vision, and won't release you until you've gone all the way back to the beginning. The Aiel who disappear inside the columns reach a point where they cannot bear to take their next step, and so like the novices who disappear in the Acceptatron, they never emerge.

I think it's pretty strongly implied it's suicide. Rand sees Muradin (sp?) in the glass columns, and Muradin has clawed out his own eyes and eaten them. I guess that might not kill you (it didn't kill Oedipus), so you may be right.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

werdnam posted:

I think it's pretty strongly implied it's suicide. Rand sees Muradin (sp?) in the glass columns, and Muradin has clawed out his own eyes and eaten them. I guess that might not kill you (it didn't kill Oedipus), so you may be right.

The bodies disappear. Couladin's brother's body is gone when Rand emerges, and no one else was in there to remove it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

werdnam posted:

I didn't read it so much as him eating his own eyes (what?!) as him clawing out his eyes and then chewing his own tongue out.

Advancing Sideways
Nov 10, 2008
Just got through the columns part. One of my favorite parts of the whole series, getting so many flashbacks to the AOL and historical eras.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other stories, texts, asides from Jordan (or even well-done non-canon stuff) in this vein? I quite like the series, but wish we were told more about these other times.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Three down ten to go on my kindle's maiden voyage. I do think the 4th book is my favorite of them. Still early enough to not find the catch phrases associated with each character and theme tiresome, but enough of the story resolved enough to feel like its a series going somewhere. As opposed to each of the "kill the devil" endings from the previous three.

Slightly off topic, can someone please point me to a "how to" for doing the redacted text sections? I was looking through the various rules sections but I didn't find much for that. I do not wish to spoil anything for others, nor do I want to find myself on a probation for doing it incorrectly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sgt Froggy posted:

Slightly off topic, can someone please point me to a "how to" for doing the redacted text sections? I was looking through the various rules sections but I didn't find much for that. I do not wish to spoil anything for others, nor do I want to find myself on a probation for doing it incorrectly.

Quote any post with redaction in unquoted text (e.g. Werdnam's last post) and you'll see the tags.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sgt Froggy posted:

Three down ten to go on my kindle's maiden voyage. I do think the 4th book is my favorite of them. Still early enough to not find the catch phrases associated with each character and theme tiresome, but enough of the story resolved enough to feel like its a series going somewhere. As opposed to each of the "kill the devil" endings from the previous three.

I find it interesting you find the WoT idioms tolerable at this point. They took off in TDR and have been annoying the poo poo out of me since. The over-use of the word 'Fool! is really pissing me off right now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Advancing Sideways posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other stories, texts, asides from Jordan (or even well-done non-canon stuff) in this vein? I quite like the series, but wish we were told more about these other times.

Your best choice is to get The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, AKA the Big White Book of Bad Art. The book was made to serve as a sort of encyclopedia of the series for those who were having trouble keeping track of everybody and the history of the world. It has a great kickass section that chronicles the Age of Legends up through the present day. There is also a short story in this that was written by Jordan called The Strike at Shayol Ghul which is almost worth the price of admission.

Now for the bad part. As mentioned before, the art is really really bad. In fact, DKS's covers look much better than most of whats in there. This book was also written after book 7, so there are lots of summaries of the characters that are no longer accurate. There are also book spoilers up to book 7 if you haven't read the series that far. Finally, a lot of the material thats in here is stuff you probably already know. There are whole sections on how to channel the One Power, the different Ajahs, and other basic information that you already know about if you've been reading the series up to book 7. However, there are some good nuggets of stuff sprinkled in amongst all of that. But in contrast, you will also get more helpings of things like the phrase, "Can a bird teach a fish to fly? Can a fish teach a bird to swim?" :downs:

From your post, it sounds like it would be worth it for you to get this, but only if you have read past book 7.
http://www.amazon.com/World-Robert-Jordans-Wheel-Paperback/dp/0312869363

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 5, 2012

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I find it interesting you find the WoT idioms tolerable at this point. They took off in TDR and have been annoying the poo poo out of me since. The over-use of the word 'Fool! is really pissing me off right now.

It was the braid pulling that really got to me. It seemed as if the author was under the impression that people would be jumping into the series at any point and needed some kind of "shtick" so that we know who is who. Then again in retrospect, given how long it often was between releases maybe his editors did think readers needed some kind of touch stone. In anycase, if they ever make a tv mini or theatrical release, we will all have an infinite combination of epic drinking games.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cartoon Man posted:

Your best choice is to get The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, AKA the Big White Book of Bad Art. The book was made to serve as a sort of encyclopedia of the series for those who were having trouble keeping track of everybody and the history of the world. It has a great kickass section that chronicles the Age of Legends up through the present day. There is also a short story in this that was written by Jordan called The Strike at Shayol Ghul which is almost worth the price of admission.

Now for the bad part. As mentioned before, the art is really really bad. In fact, DKS's covers look much better than most of whats in there. This book was also written after book 7, so there are lots of summaries of the characters that are no longer accurate. There are also book spoilers up to book 7 if you haven't read the series that far. Finally, a lot of the material thats in here is stuff you probably already know. There are whole sections on how to channel the One Power, the different Ajahs, and other basic information that you already know about if you've been reading the series up to book 7. However, there are some good nuggets of stuff sprinkled in amongst all of that. But in contrast, you will also get more helpings of things like the phrase, "Can a bird teach a fish to fly? Can a fish teach a bird to swim?" :downs:

From your post, it sounds like it would be worth it for you to get this, but only if you have read past book 7.
http://www.amazon.com/World-Robert-Jordans-Wheel-Paperback/dp/0312869363

I for one am very lucky that we have been largely spared the terrible artwork in the Australian Editions of the Wheel of Time books. Instead we get this classy design (each book has a different colour for the wheel motif):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah it's the same here in the UK. There is a tiny strip of art on the back pages which , according to the back of my copy of no. 6 is by Sweet, but it's just a bit of landscape so you really can't see any of the terribleness that the US editions have.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah it's the same here in the UK. There is a tiny strip of art on the back pages which , according to the back of my copy of no. 6 is by Sweet, but it's just a bit of landscape so you really can't see any of the terribleness that the US editions have.

I understand Mr Sweet is no longer with us, so we will thankfully be spared his 'Art' for A Memory of Light.

I also recently purchased this version of eye of the world from a bookstore here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Eye-Of-World-Limited/dp/0356501523

It's very nice, but as far as I have been able to ascertain there are no plans to release the rest of the series in the same format. They would have looked great on my shelf. After 12 or so rereads of the series my paperback copies are falling apart; though I now use the ebook versions. It's strange though, I love those ebook covers that got done, but neither the kindle nor the google books versions of the ebooks use them.

Some other stuff that may be of interest to people participating in this thread:

Tar Valon Library is a Wikipedia style site for the series, and is probably the best place to get quick information on a topic or character.
http://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Also, nobody has mentioned Leigh Butler's official reread:
http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

Leigh is a prominent figure in the WoT community, and for the past few years she has been writing this reread in the lead up to the final book. She provides a detailed summary of each chapter, followed by analysis and commentary. It's incredibly entertaining and insightful, but the commentary draws from knowledge of all books in the series so it isn't suitable for first time readers. I highly recommend it for any one else though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

the kindle nor the google books versions of the ebooks use them.

The Kindle books actually do use them, but it seems like the old art gets cached depending on when you downloaded the ebook.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

arioch posted:

The Kindle books actually do use them, but it seems like the old art gets cached depending on when you downloaded the ebook.

I'm using the kindle app on an android phone, and they were downloaded over the course of the past year...how would I go about remedying this?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm using the kindle app on an android phone, and they were downloaded over the course of the past year...how would I go about remedying this?

Dissociate your phone with your amazon account, then go in to your sdcard or whatever and remove the cached book files, and re-associate, that should do it. My phone right now shows the current e-book covers.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

I for one am very lucky that we have been largely spared the terrible artwork in the Australian Editions of the Wheel of Time books. Instead we get this classy design (each book has a different colour for the wheel motif):

I started reading them back in 98 or so (as a kid) in Australia and 1-8 of my paperbacks all have the hideous designs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I started reading them back in 98 or so (as a kid) in Australia and 1-8 of my paperbacks all have the hideous designs.

I started in 2003, so luckily we have moved on from hideous designs. My school library had them, but I've never seen them in a bookstore.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Neurosis posted:

Oh, I don't know, when Mat said "Can you even count so high, you fat fool?" was one of my favorite things in the entire series.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Oh, I don't know, when Mat said "Can you even count so high, you fat fool?" was one of my favorite things in the entire series.

Mat does get all the best one liners, thats for sure. Im very glad he becomes more and more of a real character as the books progress. He seems mostly a foil to lighten rands brooding mostly . Even after the climax of the second book hes not much of his own character until Tar Valon in #3

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sgt Froggy posted:

Mat does get all the best one liners, thats for sure. Im very glad he becomes more and more of a real character as the books progress. He seems mostly a foil to lighten rands brooding mostly . Even after the climax of the second book hes not much of his own character until Tar Valon in #3

Well to be fair, he really isn't much of a person in the world itself until then too. That dagger destroyed the personality you saw in the beginning of book one and he had to basically reshape himself entirely.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I think I have read 1-9 of this series in years past. Obviously I am way behind.

Welp, good thing I got a kindle this past week and am now 75% of the way through Eye of the World. How long do I have to catch up?

It is kind of funny though because I remember the vague direction almost all of those books go (okay thats a bit of a lie because I basically can't tell the difference between 5-8) but it has been quite nice to rediscover the details. Definitely recalling already why this was my favorite series.

E: On Matt, I am definitely at the part where its like "Yeah you suck, go get fixed" But man, after 3-5 (not sure exactly where in there anymore) he definitely becomes my favorite character.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 6, 2012

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Just finished book 6 and needed to resort to the audiobooks because, holy balls, the slog has definitely begun (ending, of course, delivers)! The 7th is the last book that I've read before, so getting through it and into new territory is both exciting and kinda scary because I understand 8 and 9 are going to put me to the test :ohdear:

I can do it though, if I can read the entire Malazan series, I can do anything!

More on Mat (Book 6):

His conversation with Thom and Juilin about Birgitte was just fantastic, highlighting not only how oblivious and full of himself he is but also just as an example of how much these people have gone through on their own. (paraphrased) "Yes Mat, I'm sure she can shoot that bow," Thom says, as Juilin chokes on whatever bar food he was snacking on. Awesome.

Campbell fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 6, 2012

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Campbell posted:

Just finished book 6 and needed to resort to the audiobooks because, holy balls, the slog has definitely begun (ending, of course, delivers)! The 7th is the last book that I've read before, so getting through it and into new territory is both exciting and kinda scary because I understand 8 and 9 are going to put me to the test :ohdear:

I can do it though, if I can read the entire Malazan series, I can do anything!

More on Mat (Book 6):

His conversation with Thom and Juilin about Birgitte was just fantastic, highlighting not only how oblivious and full of himself he is but also just as an example of how much these people have gone through on their own. (paraphrased) "Yes Mat, I'm sure she can shoot that bow," Thom says, as Juilin chokes on whatever bar food he was snacking on. Awesome.

7 through 10 are a shitload easier when you know there's another book coming after it immediately. It was the wait after 10 that made me hate it so much. It was much better on my re-read.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Kruller posted:

7 through 10 are a shitload easier when you know there's another book coming after it immediately. It was the wait after 10 that made me hate it so much. It was much better on my re-read.

This 100%. 10 is actually quite good, especially the Mat parts. 9 has one of the coolest moments in the entire series.

I really enjoy reading people's reaction as they read everything for the first time (or second+ if they forgot something)

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Kruller posted:

I couldnt agree more. The worst is always the wait for the next one. Be that book movie episode or what have you. Especially when an author dies with the story incomplete! At least we have seen frequest and decently written books since then

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Just look at 7-9 as 3 parts of a single book. It really makes those books make sense now. I know when I got them when they were just released it was awful. I read really fast so the books just seemed over too fast. But when you have the next parts to go on too, they're actually pretty good.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Just look at 7-9 as 3 parts of a single book. It really makes those books make sense now. I know when I got them when they were just released it was awful. I read really fast so the books just seemed over too fast. But when you have the next parts to go on too, they're actually pretty good.

7 through 9 as one book, with 10 as part 9 part 2, since half of it is in the same time period as 9. 10 has the biggest overlap of stuff happening with another book in the series. 13 has the honors of biggest "why the hell is this character so far behind others in the timeline" though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kruller posted:

7 through 9 as one book, with 10 as part 9 part 2, since half of it is in the same time period as 9. 10 has the biggest overlap of stuff happening with another book in the series. 13 has the honors of biggest "why the hell is this character so far behind others in the timeline" though.

I'm lucky to have read the series through for the first time like that, the first 10 books were out, and I can honestly say I liked all of them, though 4 - 8 are the best. They end up blurring into one big story - I was in grade 11 when I read them for the first time, so between school and other commitments it took me nearly 2 months for that first readthrough, but my enthusiasm never flagged, and when Book 10 ended in that giant cliffhanger It left me really excited for book 11.

At the same time though, I can honestly say I've never experienced the phenomenon of not enjoying the first book you had to wait for, or any subsequent books. 11 - 14 were all excellent, although I quibble with Sanderson's gross overuse of the word 'politics' and - Characters use it constantly in ToM, and I've only ever found a single instance of the word in the books Jordan wrote - referring to Daes Dae'mar would be more in keeping with the characters in my opinion.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 7, 2012

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Just to keep things organized, this week...

The Shadow Rising, chapters 48-58 (finish)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Lord Bude posted:

I quibble with Sanderson's gross overuse of the word 'politics' and - Characters use it constantly in ToM, and I've only ever found a single instance of the word in the books Jordan wrote - referring to Daes Dae'mar would be more in keeping with the characters in my opinion.

It's used in The Dragon Reborn in a Mat chapter (Chapter 40 I think), unless that's the one time you're referencing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I quibble with Sanderson's gross overuse of the word 'politics' and - Characters use it constantly in ToM, and I've only ever found a single instance of the word in the books Jordan wrote - referring to Daes Dae'mar would be more in keeping with the characters in my opinion.

Depends what they're doing. Daes Dae'mar is only played within realms, for the most part. It's about jockeying for position, and you can't do that in a kingdom where you hold no rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Started a couple days after this thread started and just finished book 13 last week :) I can't wait for the next one.. I also want a movie or TV series about the series

• Locked thread