Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Liar Lyre posted:

Maybe this Double trailer will convince you to play her.

I don't hear any puns, so it's Ms. Fortune for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Hey I'm a woman, can I please ask your permission to like these character designs, because I do but apparently I need you to render your opinion first from atop your ivory tower. I won't leave the kitchen without your say-so either, promise.

Double's panties are pretty creepy though - still doesn't mean I'm not going to play the hell out of her and love it. Although I suspect I'm going to be kind of lousy with her since she's apparently super heavy and I've always been much better with quicker characters. I hope Valentine isn't too terrible...
I dont know why this (character designs in skullgirls) is a big deal, seriously. EVERY other genre in games doesnt get NEARLY the amount of crap about this as fighters do.

Personally I think its loving stupid to not like a game PURELY on the art style alone. I dont like the style of Street fighter IV, but I still think that overall its a solid game.

As for the huge "assets", who cares? does Filia having a large chest or the bunch of panty shots in her animations bug me? eh, only enough for me to think that its a tad too much, but then its back to the game.

Anyways, thanks Lyre for that trailer, I was really iffy about double but now Im convinced to try her out. also love the two characters that show up during her hyper. Possible Teacher as DLC? I also see umbrella and there some other that i dont recognize

Squigly

The Tutorial Teacher

Umbrella, you can kinda see her gun and some of herself

no idea who this is, all it is is some spring thing, so who knows

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

animaCartographer posted:

I dont know why this (character designs in skullgirls) is a big deal, seriously. EVERY other genre in games doesnt get NEARLY the amount of crap about this as fighters do.

I think it's happening here because Skullgirls is a new thing so it gets more buzz, everybody who had an opinion on Dead or Alive already exhausted their thoughts on it back in like 2003. The roster being 100% female probably doesn't help.

I'm in the "it's overboard and kind of creepy" camp, but game looks fun so I don't care.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

diospadre posted:

I think it's happening here because Skullgirls is a new thing so it gets more buzz, everybody who had an opinion on Dead or Alive already exhausted their thoughts on it back in like 2003. The roster being 100% female probably doesn't help.

I'm in the "it's overboard and kind of creepy" camp, but game looks fun so I don't care.

thats true, The only other all female fighter I can think of is Arcana heart or whatever thats called, and that gets no buzz at all.

I like the style, but I could go for less of the sexual overtones, I just really enjoy the colors and exaggerations and such.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Here's a better shot

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

thats true, The only other all female fighter I can think of is Arcana heart or whatever thats called, and that gets no buzz at all.

I like the style, but I could go for less of the sexual overtones, I just really enjoy the colors and exaggerations and such.

Well theres the Touhou fighters Immaterial and Missing Power and it's sequels Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Hisoutensoku. As far as I'm aware the entire series has no sexual overtones due to the creator being a mean drunk.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Actually that shot is Black Dhalia, another character in the SG universe. Umbrella also shows up in a different spot as Rootbeer Baron showed.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

diospadre posted:

Misogyny isn't gender specific.

Goons definition of misogyny usually isnt misogyny either

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Anyways, thanks Lyre for that trailer, I was really iffy about double but now Im convinced to try her out. also love the two characters that show up during her hyper. Possible Teacher as DLC? I also see umbrella and there some other that i dont recognize
No problem, man. Just spreading the word.

You misidentified a few girls in the Double super, so here's the real names.

quote:

The Tutorial Teacher
The Tutorial Teacher actually has a name, Ms. Victoria. I believe she also has an alter-ego that's a dominatrix demon or something called D. Violet.

quote:

This is actually Black Dahlia, an assassin for the Medici Mafia. There's only two known drawing of her, but it seems like she'll be a DLC character soon.

quote:

no idea who this is, all it is is some spring thing, so who knows
I think it's a Peacock reference. I think her get up animation uses a spring. Or maybe it's the super jump or tag animation. I can't remember, but I know it's there somewhere.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

Goons definition of misogyny usually isnt misogyny either

Yeah I got that line from some other thread.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
When a person who starts a derail gets banned for threadshitting, don't run with it.

Especially when the derail is the reason the poster got banned for threadshitting.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

They do actually. It's just most other games have stuff like the storyline and world-building or whatever to distract you (so some girl wearing a square inch of clothing is less important if the storyline itself is quite fair and egilitarian) but in fighters literally all you are seeing is the character themselves and their moveset.

quote:

Personally I think its loving stupid to not like a game PURELY on the art style alone. I dont like the style of Street fighter IV, but I still think that overall its a solid game.

Nobody who's been complaining about this kind of thing has said it's going to be a bad game.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Liar Lyre posted:

Maybe this Double trailer will convince you to play her.
I forgot that Gradius was a Konami game, it seems like they're going to run with that reference at least somewhat officially. :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Liar Lyre posted:

I think it's a Peacock reference. I think her get up animation uses a spring. Or maybe it's the super jump or tag animation. I can't remember, but I know it's there somewhere.

It's definitely Peacock. It's the animation from her tech roll or quick get up.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Rokstar posted:

I forgot that Gradius was a Konami game, it seems like they're going to run with that reference at least somewhat officially. :)

I like how she has the double and autoblock power ups in the little Skullgradius part.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

holy poo poo the high score

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Haha. Looks like they jumped the gun a little bit.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Broken Loose posted:

Nice catch. Any reference with that player score?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dizz posted:

Nice catch. Any reference with that player score?

Edit: Oh, player score. NM

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Haha. Looks like they jumped the gun a little bit.

I think it's more a slight troll/reference than gun jumping.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The way I interpret it is that they wanted the score to be the release date, but made the graphic when we thought it would be the 4th. It should read 04102012. But hey, you could be right too.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Alright so I'm going to move the tourney up an hour. I know this screws over a couple of west coast folks but I gotta do it so I don't overlap goonbats.

Skullgirls XBL day1 tourney now at 8pm EST
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/27rtrijfue

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You people. It doesn't matter what the other girls look like, for you should be playing only one:

I don't know much about the game's canon, so it was cool finding out the bombs actually have names: Lenny and George. :v:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Garlic Wall posted:

I like how she has the double and autoblock power ups in the little Skullgradius part.

Also the scrambled right after autoblock. Nice SFxT reference.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AlternateNu posted:

This is the best picture.

Is there anyone that won't have Peacock in their very first "go into training mode; screw around" team?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

That certainly isn't safe. If there is one person who should be driving at 10 and 2 its Peacock.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ybrik posted:

That certainly isn't safe. If there is one person who should be driving at 10 and 2 its Peacock.

Seeing where you're going is largely considered overrated.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know much about the game's canon, so it was cool finding out the bombs actually have names: Lenny and George. :v:

Yes, those are their names... now. :ninja:

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yes, those are their names... now. :ninja:

Steinbeck is a way classier thing to reference than nukes, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Buhbuhj posted:

Alright so I'm going to move the tourney up an hour. I know this screws over a couple of west coast folks but I gotta do it so I don't overlap goonbats.

Skullgirls XBL day1 tourney now at 8pm EST
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/27rtrijfue

Is this going to be newbie friendly or are most of you fairly decent at fighting games? I'd really love to join but I don't see myself doing very well at all.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Well it's going to be day one so I doubt it'll matter that much at all.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is this going to be newbie friendly or are most of you fairly decent at fighting games? I'd really love to join but I don't see myself doing very well at all.

Sign up anyway because even if you lose you will still come away with new people to play who will probably not mind helping you get better.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's day 1 so barely anyone is going to have any time with the game prior to the tourney. I'm sure there are going to be some people that can get by on pure fundamentals but I wouldn't worry about it.

Nessecitas
May 26, 2005

MURDER

Broken Loose posted:

Autoblock, nice.

EDIT: Oh no, posting on my wife's account!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

rocket USA posted:

Steinbeck is a way classier thing to reference than nukes, though.

This is completely true.

Also I had to pull out of the tourney for now since I'm not even sure I'll be able to get it 1st day. :(

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Boxman posted:

Is there anyone that won't have Peacock in their very first "go into training mode; screw around" team?
Me. The teams I'm thinking of are MvC2-esque so either Ms Fortune/Filia for Filia's Psylocke-like assist with a rushdown character or Painwheel/Parasoul for the Sentinel/Commando kind of thing. My first training mode team will probably be Painwheel/Parasoul/Filia.

Peacock/someone with a good projectile assist/Parasoul also sounds like it could be fun as a Team Scrub-esque team (Cable/Sentinel/Commando).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I need a Spiral character but alas it's not to be.

I'll try out Valentine/Painwheel but I make no promises for mains

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, ready to go 0-2 for this day 1 tournament thing! Let's do it. :toot:

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

quote:

A recent announcement from UltraChen TV revealed a very special guest for their Monday shows. Michael “Mike Z” Zaimont will be on hand for both First Attack and Lv. 3 Focus, discussing beginner and advanced play over the course of the two segments with James Chen and Ultra David. This is a show you won’t want to miss, as Mike Z will have some great information ready for the viewers in preparation for the Skullgirls launch next week. As always, they’ll be live on Twitch TV, so be on the look out for the official article on Monday.
Might be cool to listen to aside from the James Chen part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Skullgirls isn't at PAX East at all, right?

• Locked thread