Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

So if this yogs game can deliver on something similar, where people without any real programming experience can still put together a playable adventure map that can then be shared freely, I could see it actually being something pretty awesome. Time will tell, I suppose.

I think Craftstudio has more chance of accomplishing this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/craftstudio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

seorin posted:

It looks like the Tortured Hearts kickstarter has been adding more game info and put up a new pitch video. It's like a pitch video done by your own mother, and I can't help but feel sad at how few backers there are. The game honestly doesn't look bad, they've explained far more about it than any of the more popular kickstarters, they've given a very solid idea of what exactly the money is for, and everything about the project is just so drat earnest that I really want it to succeed. :smith:

Yeah, they've gotten just enough things right to make me feel bad about what they're doing wrong.

QUICK NERD BOTTLE
Mar 19, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cracky posted:

The Yogscast video is just poor taste.
They had a big twitter bitchfight with Notch over some bullshit that happened at Minecon and from time to time they still sneakily try to shoe in some jokes at his expense. Nothing wrong with trying to monetize your youtube views, but their announcement could use a bit more subtlety.

Even though Yogscast is terrible (Which isn't surprisingly most of the most popular youtube channels are awful), it was all Notch not them. Dude didn't pay anything for any of the guests (the only reason anyone would go to Minecon) then posted a twitter pic of a 5 grand watch he bought.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I keep getting charged like an extra £2 for a foreign transaction every time I back a project. I'm in the UK and the projects are all in dollars. Is there a way I could pay in pounds or something? I mean it's just loving ridiculous, a two pound charge on a one dollar donation. I'm with Lloyds TSB if that helps.

QUICK NERD BOTTLE posted:

Even though Yogscast is terrible (Which isn't surprisingly most of the most popular youtube channels are awful), it was all Notch not them. Dude didn't pay anything for any of the guests (the only reason anyone would go to Minecon) then posted a twitter pic of a 5 grand watch he bought.
This is true. Generally minecon was a huge gently caress-up, which everyone agreed on, and Notch wanted to shift the blame or attention or whatever.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, they've gotten just enough things right to make me feel bad about what they're doing wrong.

At this point, what is it they're doing wrong, do you think? It looks like they've fixed the complaints people had, and I'm just kind of hoping it isn't too little too late. I'm not saying it has no problems, but maybe it's more that I can't quite put my finger on what they might be.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

So it wont be going live for at least another 2.5 weeks. but id like some feedback
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/1298494244?token=20d8bad0

I will be meeting with a local director next week to work on our Pitch video.

and our SA thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

The "Pre-Alpha Update 8"-video starts with

quote:

Copywrite Badland Studio LLC"

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Megazver posted:

That's looking great as well, but compare the total being asked. One is clearly 'guy in basement' while the other is trying to fund a team of developers to finish something by the end of the year. I'd be happy to have both of them released though, and there's not really a reason to pretend like they're competing at the moment. The finished versions could theoretically be, but that's a long way off.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Tamba posted:

The "Pre-Alpha Update 8"-video starts with

yeah I noticed that, not much I can do at this point besides taking it down

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

seorin posted:

At this point, what is it they're doing wrong, do you think? It looks like they've fixed the complaints people had, and I'm just kind of hoping it isn't too little too late. I'm not saying it has no problems, but maybe it's more that I can't quite put my finger on what they might be.

What they're doing wrong is not being famous and asking for more than 10 grand. That project is proof that kickstarter is not some great new funding mechanism for mid budget games but simply a way for developers with a devoted following to monetize that into making a midbudget game. That's still a good thing, but it's far from being the end of publishers even for non AAA games. No matter how much they've got done they simply can't find a way to convince people that the 300 Grand they're asking for is a reasonable amount because no one who's not famous is allowed to ask for that much. They've also gone about developing the game in a way that doesn't match what others do. For most projects it seems you have an artist, programmer and designer all from the get go so you can build everything together, instead they don't have an artist so all the back end work is pretty much done but it's in a wholly indemonstrable stage. People expect "here's a small section of the game help us expand" not "we've done everything except this one part, help us do that part." It's not necessarily bad, but it's different.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
A lot of the popular projects right now with thousands in funding are from unknown people. I'm not sure I get your point.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Since they're in LA, I'm trying to contact the winterkewl studios. I'm really excited about the yogventures game, and want to find out from them if they might have any entry level positions for animators in the future. I'm currently trying to break into the animation industry as opposed to the games industry, but yogventures really seems like the type of game I'd love to work on - minecraft with fun blizzard-ish character animation and design. I'd love to be a worker bee on something like that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dvorak posted:

A lot of the popular projects right now with thousands in funding are from unknown people. I'm not sure I get your point.
Thousands is not hundreds of thousands, there's a scope limit for unknowns. Also, their unusual workflow is an issue as I mentioned. What else would you say they're doing wrong? Do you not believe they've got a 100 hour game written and designed with characters, locations, etc? Cause I do.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What they're doing wrong is not being famous and asking for more than 10 grand. That project is proof that kickstarter is not some great new funding mechanism for mid budget games but simply a way for developers with a devoted following to monetize that into making a midbudget game.

Oh you mean like this low-budget indie game being made by no-names that asked for $10,000 but got $200,000? Or this one that asked for 100K and got nearly twice that? Or The Banner Saga which doesn't have famous or popular developers associated with it, just industry professionals?

silfay
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro

dunno if anyone else has mentioned this already but this looks fairly neat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tufty posted:

Oh you mean like this low-budget indie game being made by no-names that asked for $10,000 but got $200,000? Or this one that asked for 100K and got nearly twice that? Or The Banner Saga which doesn't have famous or popular developers associated with it, just industry professionals?
So is it press then? Code Hero was a failure until it got press and support from the Unity CEO. Also it was already in beta. FTL had a very low goal and mainstream press playing a demo. The Banner Saga guys aren't no-names in the same way this old lady and her Polish friend are, they worked on some big name games. They too have gameplay footage.

That said, I'll admit I was being too dismissive with my comment. There are obviously a range of things kickstarter can fund, but beyond a certain point it's clear that trust in being able to complete something is more important than the project itself. So you're right, the issue isn't really no-names can't ask for big money, but rather, the smaller name you are the more work you have to have done, and be able to show, to convince people. Money, name and work done are the three main variables and the relationship between them isn't direct, so making up for a bit of one with a bit of another doesn't always work. I don't think the quality of the project, or its feasibility, are the issue here. Which leads me to believe the failure is due to an expectation gap between what backers want to see and what this lady is capable of showing off. I don't think it's inherently wrong to develop a game the way she has, but it makes the sell that much harder because people want to actually see, not just quantity and quality, but certain specific things.

If she had the professional pedigree of even the Banner Saga guys I don't think this would be a problem, similarly if she were asking for less money I think this could have snowballed and been successful, and if she could front the money for a one location demo of gameplay and art that would probably work too. She needs that little bit extra which at the moment doesn't appear to be in her power to provide. Her reward tiers also suck, but I'm not really sure how that could be fixed and it doesn't explain the low number of backers even in the lowest tier.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So is it press then?

Yes.

More accurately, it's exposure, which comes from marketing, which comes from knowing how to sell an idea. If you want anyone, ANYONE to notice this, you're going to have to actually put yourself out there and get every possible person you can looking at the project and then interested in it. This is nothing new at all and is a fundamental part of marketing, which these people will have to do to make sure people play the games after they get made as well.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems logical to me that they'd want to try making a Minecraft clone. I'm sure they've spent some time thinking about what kind of game they would have liked Minecraft to have been.

This also has the added benefit of not putting more money in Notch's pocket every time they put out a new video.

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games. And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

I love the Yogscast's Guild Wars 2 videos, and look forward to seeing them goof off in games I like. I just think with this they're exploiting an audience that don't know how hard it is to make a good game. It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

silfay posted:

Love the art on this one, might finally take the plunge.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games.

Except that's not really what's going on here. They're not even presenting themselves as managers at all, but rather as characters. Not as in in the game, but as in the characters they are when doing SoI and pretty much all their other youtube vids. They're presenting themselves as marketers and marketing material, which is 100% where there strengths lie.

quote:

And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

Which it... isn't? Nothing that is being proposed there is outside the realm of feasibility with the engine being used, especially with anyone who has done any development work at all. Yes, procedural content is hard. No, Notch isn't some sort of super genius who managed to find a novel way of doing things. Almost the opposite, in fact.

What's being proposed here is more everything Minecraft isn't, which is to say a way of providing things like adventure maps and adventure map content without having to fight some pretty severe game limitations.

quote:

It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

Nothing in the video says otherwise.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm really curious to know if the Yogscast guys actually got confirmation from Steam already or if they're just assuming they'll be able to make it on.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

That Yognaut thing actually sounds like a cool concept and seems like it would be a nifty game to play and mess around in, except it does really seem like it's going to be a novelty stupid thing with a dwarf and a star trek officer going "AaaaaAAAAAA!" whilst surrounded by memes.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

NINbuntu 64 posted:

What's being proposed here is more everything Minecraft isn't, which is to say a way of providing things like adventure maps and adventure map content without having to fight some pretty severe game limitations.

And they're going to be better at providing complicated features like making totally user-friendly content creation tools that take lots of extra development time? (And magically erase all limitations that typically exist for a reason?) More power to them if they can do all that in the next few months for the low low price of $15 but I'm rightfully skeptical.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

And they're going to be better at providing complicated features like making totally user-friendly content creation tools that take lots of extra development time? (And magically erase all limitations that typically exist for a reason?) More power to them if they can do all that in the next few months for the low low price of $15 but I'm rightfully skeptical.

Yes, these things take development time. Yes, they are hard to implement. That is why there is a team of developers and artists behind the project. Also, "next few months"? They didn't really give a timeframe.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games. And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

I love the Yogscast's Guild Wars 2 videos, and look forward to seeing them goof off in games I like. I just think with this they're exploiting an audience that don't know how hard it is to make a good game. It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

They had a huge hand in organizing some of the mega mod packs in Minecraft too, I think they know what their limits are. And remember Minecraft itself was a clone of a game at the start, Infiniminer, that Notch tweaked to his vision. They are essentially doing the same thing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

They had a huge hand in organizing some of the mega mod packs in Minecraft too, I think they know what their limits are. And remember Minecraft itself was a clone of a game at the start, Infiniminer, that Notch tweaked to his vision. They are essentially doing the same thing.

That, and this isn't really accurately described as a clone of Minecraft. If anything it's a clone of a facet of Minecraft that organically grew out of the game on its own. (i.e. adventure maps) As far as I can tell from the Yogventures page (although I do wish they were a bit more exact on how it all works) the game is going to have a creating mode which will be no gameplay, pure world building, and then an adventure mode, where people play the map you've created. What I'm not getting out of it is that it's going to have any Minecraft style punch-trees, build-houses, collect-ore style gameplay.

That may not be right, of course. It's just how I'm reading it. Their list of features has everything all jumbled together. I doubt, though, that when playing through an adventure map that you really want your players to be able to "raise a mountain range or create a vast ocean", like it mentions. One would assume that's part of the world creation tools.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

That, and this isn't really accurately described as a clone of Minecraft. If anything it's a clone of a facet of Minecraft that organically grew out of the game on its own. (i.e. adventure maps) As far as I can tell from the Yogventures page (although I do wish they were a bit more exact on how it all works) the game is going to have a creating mode which will be no gameplay, pure world building, and then an adventure mode, where people play the map you've created. What I'm not getting out of it is that it's going to have any Minecraft style punch-trees, build-houses, collect-ore style gameplay.

That may not be right, of course. It's just how I'm reading it. Their list of features has everything all jumbled together. I doubt, though, that when playing through an adventure map that you really want your players to be able to "raise a mountain range or create a vast ocean", like it mentions. One would assume that's part of the world creation tools.

Dedicated "creation zones" could make for a pretty radical adventure map though.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Uncle Jam posted:

And remember Minecraft itself was a clone of a game at the start, Infiniminer, that Notch tweaked to his vision.

Well yeah, if by tweak you mean added an entire wiki worth of content and new gameplay stuff to.

I can't fault people for having trust in their icons but I could see this as one of the Kickstarters that will have big issues. I mean the closest analogy I can think of is the Penny Arcade games, which while having the charm of the series are clunky as hell. That "clunky as hell" part I wouldn't want attached to something people are supposed to be able to make content for.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Spiky Ooze posted:

Well yeah, if by tweak you mean added an entire wiki worth of content and new gameplay stuff to.

I can't fault people for having trust in their icons but I could see this as one of the Kickstarters that will have big issues. I mean the closest analogy I can think of is the Penny Arcade games, which while having the charm of the series are clunky as hell. That "clunky as hell" part I wouldn't want attached to something people are supposed to be able to make content for.

Yes, after a few years I would hope it has an entire wiki worth of new content, but when Minecraft first came out it had less features than Infiniminer.

I mean its not a big deal if you think its a dumb idea, you just don't support the kickstarter then.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Megazver posted:

I have high hopes for this. It's also funded already which is great (backed it anyway, though).

e: vvvvvvvv I know, I meant I hope it turns out great in the future. Same for their game they're making with it. vvvvvvvvv

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 7, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I have high hopes for this. It's also funded already which is great (backed it anyway, though).

You can actually play it already, on their site.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

silfay posted:

Their concept looks great, and I love anything randomly generated, I backed them though I feel their goal may be a little steep unless they get a lot more exposure.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

seorin posted:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Thousands is not hundreds of thousands, there's a scope limit for unknowns. Also, their unusual workflow is an issue as I mentioned. What else would you say they're doing wrong? Do you not believe they've got a 100 hour game written and designed with characters, locations, etc? Cause I do.

What they've got to show us right now is the narrative and area design work done, but they seem to be more than a little clueless about systems design and general game engineering.

In a way, this is very much a "fantasy heartbreaker". The system appears to be the usual "D&D but with more everything and no classes and our elves are different!" They ask whether the players want the game to be TB or RT - which is a sign that they have no idea what game mechanics to use. Their skill system is the amateur usual of "what is everything that a character can do that I could think of" with no regard to balance or

Why do they need so much money? "Now we need to get a lot of other professionals involved to do the parts we aren't expert enough to accomplish (and do a good job on) by ourselves. That's the graphics, the music and sounds, and better programming." Well, yeah. Duh.

My advice to them would be to either focus on their strengths and do it in Ren'Py or, perhaps, RPGMaker or to try gathering a team of volunteers to do the game around the stuff they already have for free. Ren'Py is the most likely scenario. And it's not actually a bad choice.

They should do a vertical slice of what they feel is an exciting part of a game and do another Kickstarter with that on offer. "Hey, here's an hour of exciting RPG questifying, if you pay us 20k we will be able to hire graphics designers to make it all pretty and add ninety nine hours more."

Tufty
May 21, 2006

I can offer a suggestion for why it's failing to get funded, but it's just based on my reaction to the pitch and the assumption that a lot of people out there will have the same reaction combined with the fact that there's no press or buzz about it prompting people to investigate.

You click onto the kickstarter and you're greeted with "Tortured Hearts, or How I Saved the Universe Again" and a picture of a hearts suite playing card that looks like it was drawn by a 15 year old girl and put on her Deviantart. It then goes on about it being an 'epicly epic satirical RPG' that is funny and subverts all the common tropes of epic RPGs. I see and read that and I don't care about anything else on the page, I instantly do not want to keep on looking and certainly do not want to pledge.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tufty posted:

I can offer a suggestion for why it's failing to get funded, but it's just based on my reaction to the pitch and the assumption that a lot of people out there will have the same reaction combined with the fact that there's no press or buzz about it prompting people to investigate.

You click onto the kickstarter and you're greeted with "Tortured Hearts, or How I Saved the Universe Again" and a picture of a hearts suite playing card that looks like it was drawn by a 15 year old girl and put on her Deviantart. It then goes on about it being an 'epicly epic satirical RPG' that is funny and subverts all the common tropes of epic RPGs. I see and read that and I don't care about anything else on the page, I instantly do not want to keep on looking and certainly do not want to pledge.

Yes. There's also that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Uncle Jam posted:

They had a huge hand in organizing some of the mega mod packs in Minecraft too

I feel like I need to correct you on this. Yogscast have done a lot for Yogbox and Technic sure, but 'a huge hand in organizing' is not correct. PudHux does the Yogbox (which used to be the NOW pack), with little or no input from Lewis or Simon.
Technic existed before, and the Launcher was developed internally. They are separate projects from the Yogscast as far as building or organizing.

Where the Yogscast shines is being characters and pointing their million-subscribers at things. Technic owes is jump to Yogscast, Yogbox has its pull because they put their name on it. Simon and Lewis are characters, and they are characters that a *lot* of people really like.

I have no doubt their game will get funded, and I have no doubt that a lot of people will be excited to play it. This is why they talk about how they aren't the ones actually making it.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
The Yogscast game is definitely going to be funded. It will probably be a functional but terrible game at best, and a disaster on the level of the Zybourne Clock at worst. If someone tells you his very first game is going to be exactly like a famous best-selling game, but better, run for the hills. Chances are poor that it will be anything resembling good.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Megazver posted:

In a way, this is very much a "fantasy heartbreaker". The system appears to be the usual "D&D but with more everything and no classes and our elves are different!" They ask whether the players want the game to be TB or RT - which is a sign that they have no idea what game mechanics to use. Their skill system is the amateur usual of "what is everything that a character can do that I could think of" with no regard to balance or
I'm not familiar with tabletop RPGing but that's an interesting and appropriate article. And yeah, as I read through their kickstarter more thoroughly it does seem like they don't actually have a combat system or the underlying mechanics for anything beyond conversations and plot progression. At first I thought they had all that designed as well, just not implemented. So basically they wrote a huge choose your own adventure game in a totally not D&D setting, with totally not D&D skills and attributes, and want to graft an RPG onto that. So yeah, I think you're right, this is their problem. I actually wonder how such a game would turn out if they just eschewed combat altogether.

quote:

I can offer a suggestion for why it's failing to get funded, but it's just based on my reaction to the pitch
Well, yeah, this too but I do think that stuff has an audience. Their inability to successfully pitch to that audience probably part of the problem.

I don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this old lady's kickstarter. It just makes me feel so sad for her.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this old lady's kickstarter. It just makes me feel so sad for her.

This is where I'm sitting at, yeah. I just feel so sad whenever I look at it. :(

I guess what it comes down to is that I understand where they're coming from and why their couple of shortfalls exist - they're a successful mod team trying to make a stand-alone game, so in that context, the lack of mechanical specifics and the similarity to D&D make sense. I don't think that means the game will be horrible, though I wouldn't expect it to be amazing, either. In some ways, I think that's a good thing, because expectations for some other kickstarters are so high that they can't possibly be anything but a letdown. Even if you think of the final game as likely to be average and somewhat flawed, both the individual amount they're asking ($10) and the final goal ($300k) seem pretty reasonable and realistic respectively. When I put all of that down, though, it's obvious not everyone is going to give it that much consideration or even reach the same conclusion if they do.

So drat sad, though. If anyone hasn't watched the video yet, you really should take a look for your daily dose of :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, is it me, or are the Dead Linger guys totally overreaching and are probably full of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Megazver posted:

Also, is it me, or are the Dead Linger guys totally overreaching and are probably full of poo poo?

I wish I could say. The fact they haven't released a gameplay video of any sort really bothers me.