Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Heliotrope posted:

Holey moley I love Annie's expression in the second panel.

This whole chapter has been full of great expressions from EVERYONE. The art is really on fire. And the story in this chapter in particular has been quite the blend of sad and hopeful, but in a good way (at least for us readers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I really, really, really want Tony to redeem himself and apologize to Annie and be a good father. C'mon Tony, don't be a Bad Dad.

Also Tom, I probably speak for a lot of us here when I say I'd LOOOOOVE a chapter that's all flashback to Tony and Jimmy Jims school days. Anything like that planned?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I just mainlined Gunnerkrigg Court's entire archive in the last two days. Pretty great comic. Love the focus on mythology, and its plot has improved along with the increase in the "technology versus mysticism" bent.

My biggest takeaway right now: Coyote seems like a cool guy, but I really kinda freaked the gently caress out there for a bit when Robot and Shadow got sliced in half.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mods please change my name to Jimmy Jims tia

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't think that Annie could put her blinker stone in the rocket, as someone suggested a few pages back. Launching things into space requires precise calculations, and the added weight of the stone would throw it off course.

Unless Anthony planned for her to put it in and included it the calculations he sent to Donny. :tinfoil:

Or if he weighed the rocket before launching it instead of just assuming he got the numbers right. Also does the blinker stone actually physically exist and have mass or is it entire etheric or what?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

JT Jag posted:

My biggest takeaway right now: Coyote seems like a cool guy, but I really kinda freaked the gently caress out there for a bit when Robot and Shadow got sliced in half.
Trickster gods are all fun and games until they start laughing at you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Personally I'm just too busy being distracted by Donny's tiny, tiny eyes.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
I started reading this the other day because I'm a huge nerd for Neil Gaiman and saw the recommendation. I am greatly enjoying it so far and while it has many wonderful qualities what stands out for me is the sheer cuteness of it all. Every character is extremely adorable and lovable and it is the best.

I'm not far into it but I'm hoping the adorableness never ceases.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zeeco posted:

I started reading this the other day because I'm a huge nerd for Neil Gaiman and saw the recommendation. I am greatly enjoying it so far and while it has many wonderful qualities what stands out for me is the sheer cuteness of it all. Every character is extremely adorable and lovable and it is the best.

I'm not far into it but I'm hoping the adorableness never ceases.

It pretty much doesn't, I think you'll find.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Incidentally the inexplicable boxbot abuse was ok for a while but it flipped right around to pity right at the end there.

"Did I miss anything important?"

"Yes."

Robox is a dick

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JT Jag posted:

Reminder: Coyote is not your bro.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well you know, that's just a thing he does. Ysengrin said as much. No big deal.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Was the author inspired by Bone in any way? I can't explain exactly why, but certain pages, this sequence of pages in particular remind me a whole lot of Bone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Not an Owl posted:

Was the author inspired by Bone in any way? I can't explain exactly why, but certain pages, this sequence of pages in particular remind me a whole lot of Bone.
Neil Gaiman thought the same thing. You guys should go drinking and talk about how Gunnerkrigg Court reminds you of Bone.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

So do you guys say "kye-oh-tee" or "kye-oat"? :)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

feetnotes posted:

Kye-oh-tee. The other one is weird.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
According to Christopher Moore's Coyote Blue, the proper pronunciation is "Kai-Yo-Tee" when referring to the animal, and "Kai-Yote" when referring to the character from mythology that takes human form, as in "Old Man Coyote."

I still call him Kai-Yo-Tee in the comic.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

feetnotes posted:

[kɑi.ˈjoʊ.ɾiː] which matches up more with your first one. Who the gently caress says the second one? Not anyone who lives anywhere with coyotes that's for sure. People who've only ever read the word and never heard it spoken by people worried about their pets getting eaten by coyotes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

feetnotes posted:

The only time I ever hear the second pronunciation is from old prospectors in cartoons. So, the first one.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

QueerPope posted:

Who the gently caress says the second one? Not anyone who lives anywhere with coyotes that's for sure. People who've only ever read the word and never heard it spoken by people worried about their pets getting eaten by coyotes.

There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've heard several people use the second pronunciation? :confused: I didn't know it was considered weird.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

YES bread posted:

There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've heard several people use the second pronunciation? :confused: I didn't know it was considered weird.

Yeah, I think it's pretty normal for rural people in Texas and the Southwest to pronounce it that way. It's just an Anglicized pronunciation of coyote, which was Hispanicized from the original Nahuatl word, so none of us are really saying it right anyway.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You just have to live near people who chase the cai-yote up t' crick off yonder.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I live in Canada, and while most of the time we say Kye-oh-tee, the second pronunciation is often used as a shortening or nickname of sorts.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Haha jeez, not being a native English speaker, I usually read words like these (names of animals that are written in more or less the same way) as I would in my own language so I always end up pronouncing it ko-yot (or maybe I added a silent-ish 'e' there at the end). Really hadn't thought more about it and had no idea how wrong I was about how it is pronounced. :)

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The link to the page where Coyote binds Annie's wrist reminded me. Are we to think that Ysengrin lost his missing ear due to something similar? One of the following pages always made me wonder: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=829

It's probably been discussed here before, but I don't recall. Could just be an old injury from fighting, but we've seen Coyote punish Ysengrin before. If he did lose it that way, that leads to speculation about how exactly Ysengrin defied Coyote.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
It's already been mentioned in other threads, but make sure to vote for Gunnerkrigg Court for the final round of the competition. If you care, anyway. Goblins as of typing this is a little ahead of GC and gently caress letting that comic win.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
MMM 2012 Round 7 Finals

Goblins (51%, 4,798 Votes)
Gunnerkrigg Court (49%, 4,579 Votes)

Total Voters: 9,377

Just voted.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Ya know how you read these articles or visit pages like ComicMix and then accidentally start reading the comments even though you KNOW its just gonna piss you off, well...

(Bolded for stupidity emphasis)

Some Idiot posted:

Well. Read MSPA in its entirety in four days to prepare for this so I could vote fairly, then come back and see that Gunnerkrigg won. How about that.
Still, my vote's on Goblins. Artwork for both is excellent, story is excellent, characters are excellent, basically they're both just all-around spectacular, and it's basically hard to decide between the two.
And that leaves us to the final fallback topic: Connectivity to readers.
Thunt is constantly tweeting updates on not only the comic but whatever parts of his life might be getting in the way of it. Almost all of his drawing is done live on camera. He's an excellent person to talk to.
Meanwhile, I've barely heard a thing from Sidell outside of a single blog post about how he quit his job for the comic.
So once again, I'm throwing my hat in with Goblins. Here's hoping it wins the big one.

P.S.: Interesting how almost every comment I've read is pro-Goblins, and yet it only has a third of the votes.

So apparently, Tom, you're not begging for votes enough. Clearly, if you did that you'd prove your worth as a human being webcomic artist to your adoring "fans". Now, I'm sure this isn't the WORST comment on that page but its certainly the one where I stopped reading them.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
man, I like Goblins, especially when it focuses on the goblins and not one of the other 2 separate storylines running at once. but it doesn't even belong in the final and should not be winning right now. what the hell, internet?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So I went to have a look at goblins. It's holding my attention, but does the art get worse as it goes along? :stare:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 7, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
This is pretty much exactly what I'd expect to happen to the brain of someone who read MSPA start to finish in four days, yes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If Goblins actually wins this it will be the most shallow victory I've ever seen because no comic except Goblins has actually asked their readers to vote for them. Most other comics, if they mentioned it at all, asked their readers to use this as an opportunity to check out other comics.

Goblins? Goblins has had exactly 0 non-competition news posts since this started. The author has also been posting "incentives", like answering questions about things in the comic to get people to vote for him (although he apparently realized how much of a jackass this was making him look like and said he'd do it regardless of if he won or not).

I don't hate Goblins like the people in the webcomics thread seem to, but this isn't helping.

Fake edit: goddamn we're posting a lot about comics that aren't Gunnerkrigg Court. I've been taking up Gimp lately and used the Random Gunnerkrigg someone posted a while back to make a couple avatars:

I think swords are neat do you think swords are neat?

Real slick, Donlan.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know, it's interesting that Ysengrin hates humans so much considering his tree body makes him closer to humans than anyone else in the forest. Even the shadowmen.

Well I guess there's the fairy dudes and the green dudes. But still, he's a lot more like a human than wolf at this point.

edit: Goblins sucks. MSPA sucks too but not as much as Goblins.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Macaluso posted:

Ya know, it's interesting that Ysengrin hates humans so much considering his tree body makes him closer to humans than anyone else in the forest. Even the shadowmen.

It completely fits, though. To gain more power, his original body (which he is probably proud of) grows weaker while he starts to seriously depend on a human-like body which he probably despises. I'd say it's one of the main reasons he's so drat bitter.

The problem with Coyote and his gifts is that he has a sense of humour.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Well I guess there's the fairy dudes and the green dudes. But still, he's a lot more like a human than wolf at this point.

That's kind of a bizarre way to think about prejudice, though isn't it? That the more you look like something the more you should like it. So naturally feminine looking men shouldn't be misogynist, for example.

And I'm trying my best not to go to into parody, "Ysengrin is actually reclaming bipedism from the humans. Herons were doing it years before humanity started." thoughts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nettle Soup posted:

So I went to have a look at goblins. It's holding my attention, but does the art get worse as it goes along? :stare:

It varies wildly. The artist has picked up some skills since the first stages of the comic, but still is completely unable to draw faces in 3/4 view.

The story's OK, the art's OK, the humour is reasonably consistent, the update schedule is just hideous. It's an average-to-good comic, IMO, save for the wildly inconsistent update schedule. It's not a patch on Gunnerkrigg, though, in any of the above categories.

Sad Gol-Shogeg will be sadder if Thunt's constant blogging about this stupid contest makes him win it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

The story's OK, the art's OK, the humour is reasonably consistent, the update schedule is just hideous. It's an average-to-good comic, IMO, save for the wildly inconsistent update schedule. It's not a patch on Gunnerkrigg, though, in any of the above categories.

Lies. Compared to stuff like Gunnerkrigg and Unsounded the art looks loving awful. I can barely tell what the gently caress is meant to be happening.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You guys could always buy delightful gunnerkrigg merchandise and use the delightful donate to gunnerkrigg button to make up for the hundo he'll miss out on by not winning a random internet poll.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Around here ky-oh-tee and ky-oat are used interchangeably, depending on context. Like how sometimes I'll call my parents "my parents" and sometimes I'll call them "my folks." I've always seen "ky -oat" as more rural/informal way to say it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't understand how anyone can look at Goblins' art for long enough to read more than one strip and not start vomiting uncontrollably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I just blasted through this over the course of this morning/afternoon because of the lull Homestuck is currently in.

Oh man.

The art is beautiful, the plot is hauntingly intriguing, the pace is never slow or uninteresting and everything is just so fantastic. :allears:
I almost choked up during a few parts - the artwork resonated with me so much. I was absolutely in awe at chapter 26.
"You saw three Ysengrins tonight: the way others see him, the way he sees himself, and the way he truly is. I want you to keep in mind the real Ysengrin!"
The panels and the dialogue worked together brilliantly for that entire sequence.

My only regret is now I have to wait for updates. :(

A Bloody Crowbar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 7, 2012